Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 11:07   #616
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Got my bike back from 3rd service with 5k kms on the clock. The service was at KTM Indiranagar.
Since there are many reports of Engine oil burn in this forum , I kept a close eye while the Engine oil was drained.

1.The oil used in the first service was 10w50(brand was whatever KTM uses as standard) and it was filled for 1650 ml. During this service, I bought the Amsoil 15W50 and asked the service personnel to use this.

2. Surprisingly, when the oil was drained, it was close to 1540ml and 50ml loss is negligible(oil in oil filter and other minor losses). My previous service was at approximately 2k kms and hence the oil burn/loss is negligible for 3k kms. This time, the Amsoil 15w50 was used and it was filled to 1700 ml.

3.The rest of the service was the regular air/oil filter change, with chain adjustment and chain clean and software update to V 1.09.

Another friend of mine also got his bike serviced with the odo reading 7k kms and his bike also had approximately 1540 ml oil when it was drained. This brings the question of what causes oil burn in some bikes and not in others. Are these genuine QC issues ? Does the break in technique of a new engine have an impact on oil burn? Are there any other factors that a layman is not aware of?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-ktm390oildrain.jpeg  

Neo18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:12   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Sounds exciting!

Check this out -
http://www.inscapedreamz.in/posts/80...41870?hl=en-US

Also this extender -
https://prospec.co.in/shop/ols/produ.../ER%20CO-E-KTM

I've done a fair share of window shopping on my virtual 390 ADV.
I have the inscapedreamz version 1 of the windscreen on my bike. It's a VFM product with nothing exceptional about it. Some points on this product:-

1.There were scratches on this product right of the box. It seems later products were shipped with a plastic layer protection on top.

2. Somehow the vibration of the front headlight assembly seems amplified with the windscreen, especially at low speeds.

3.The good aspect of this product is that it uses the stock windscreen mounts and the weight is on par with the OEM screen and hence does not put additional load the front end.
Neo18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:53   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The stock OEM front sprocket after 14000 kms on the trot over two months in the Eastern Himalayas.

Attachment 2183932

Lesson learnt: Replace front sprocket (measly 250 bucks) every 7,500 kms and get rid of the chain assy at about 14000 kms or so.
Is it available that way?
AFAIK it is sold only as a kit.
Old 1st August 2021, 21:16   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Is it available that way?
AFAIK it is sold only as a kit.
You can buy it separately.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:06   #620
BHPian

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-kodai.jpeg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-kodai-2.jpeg

I was planning to wait a few thousand KMS as i was a bit rusty (returning to two wheels after 4 years) but the opportunity was too good to pass. Chennai - Kodai - Chennai. A relative was accompanying with a car and was a good plan to stash luggage in the car and ride free on the highway and Kodai curves. Bike performed flawlessly especially the QS. It does take some practice but is so rewarding if done right. Also the QS does take a slight ding on overall mileage when compared to traditional shifts. But it is a worthy trade off. Lesson learnt - always remember to carry the chain lube
thevwguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 00:44   #621
BHPian

Hello all 390 adv owners. I am in the market to get a bike for long distance cruising (upwards of 600km per day) with once in a year offroading scenario like Ladakh. Need something that can cruise all day at 110 to 120. (I used to hate the 90kmph cruising on Thunderbird)
I just sold off my Thunderbird 350 and have 3 to 6 months to get my new one. Budget is set to max 5 lakhs stretched, though I wont mind saving some money from that budget.
390 Adventure is top of the consideration.

Key questions to owners:
1. How bad is the low end torque issue? Is it that painful as reviews say and how much is the benefit of sprocket change?
2. I am 5ft 9inch, any issues due to seat height?
3. Any other bikes I can consider in my budget and requirements?
4. Is 390 adv a keeper for long?

Look forward to the responses.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 01:00   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Hello all 390 adv owners. I am in the market to get a bike for long distance cruising (upwards of 600km per day) with once in a year offroading scenario like Ladakh. Need something that can cruise all day at 110 to 120. (I used to hate the 90kmph cruising on Thunderbird)
I just sold off my Thunderbird 350 and have 3 to 6 months to get my new one. Budget is set to max 5 lakhs stretched, though I wont mind saving some money from that budget.
390 Adventure is top of the consideration.

Key questions to owners:
1. How bad is the low end torque issue? Is it that painful as reviews say and how much is the benefit of sprocket change?

I think i am qualified to answer this question because i changed from my RE Electra 350 to the Duke 390 precisely because of this reason - which was the low cruising speed. You can read all the details in my ownership log of the KTM Duke.

But to cut a long story short

1- the Low end torque is horrible - even on onroad inclines if you are at a standstill forget offroad. It just doesnt exist. And this lack of low end torque is more dangerous offroad as you dump the clutch and wheelspin kicks in with a hint of throttle and upsets the balance of bike.

2 - No idea. I am a shortie 5'5. But then so is the Duke

3- Interceptor 650 with a touring seat + Onroad-Offroad tyres. Great low end torque, great top end performance too

4- Yes. I use my Duke for long distance onroad travels. Ahmedabad- Mumbai. Ahmedabad - Hyderabad. Ahmedabad -Delhi types. I regretted selling off the Electra and missed the low end puttering about. So i bought a Himalayan as well and use it regularly for puttering about the city as well as Long Distance Rides where the destination is off the highways like Goa, Diu, Gir Forest, Konkan Coastal Route etc.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 6th August 2021 at 01:04.
rahul4321 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 02:39   #623
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
1- the Low end torque is horrible - even on onroad inclines if you are at a standstill forget offroad. It just doesnt exist. And this lack of low end torque is more dangerous offroad as you dump the clutch and wheelspin kicks in with a hint of throttle and upsets the balance of bike.
If you'd shared this review earlier I could've pointed to this experience and said quite a lot of "I told you so" 's in the Off-road Thread.

Jokes apart, the stroke length does play a predominant role in determining what the torque curve is like which basically determines how a motorcycle reacts on the road, which overtime you can get an idea of without even getting anywhere near said motorcycle, just a look at the spec sheet would do and I do not mean the Power and Torque figures but rather the Cylinder and Head configuration.

Now coming to Sprocketing, the notion that one gains torque by shortening gearing is simply misguided at best cause in reality you'd only be leveraging it, so trust you me, have faith in what the manufacturer has provided which from experience is always the optimal setup as their calculation includes gearbox ratios and primary ratio whereas the random YouTuber would at best only consider the final drive ratio and that too is being optimistic as the majority I've seen seem to be just winging it, the videos that say going down a teeth on the ADV390 to gain low end torque is the best example as doing so simply aggravates the issue of breaking traction which Rahul has pointed out.

As for picking a motorcycle based on speeds, if you have a set speed in mind, say cruising speed of 120kmph then pick a motorcycle that does the same at its peak torque RPM. The ADV390 does fit the bill as it does a true speed of around 125kmph @7000RPM in 6th Gear, whereas the Himalayan doesn't cause it only does true speeds of 85~95kmph in 5th Gear at 4000~4500RPM. I keep saying true speed as the Speedo indicated speed would be anything from 5~20kmph over the true speed, but the same is irrelevant cause your true speed is what gets you places.

Hope that helps set a baseline for potential buyers.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th August 2021 at 02:42.
ashwinprakas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 10:05   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Now coming to Sprocketing, the notion that one gains torque by shortening gearing is simply misguided at best...
A stand alone engine's configuration doesn't change by changing sprocket teeth size. Yes.

But it does modify the "relationship between engine speed and rear wheel speed: what’s known as the gear ratio."
That's what everyone's on about no?
Essentially proving the ability to generate more speed at rear wheel with lesser effort on the engine at lower gears (i.e., if you went down on front or up on rear). Would that be untrue?

Quote:
Any other bikes I can consider in my budget and requirements?
Can't really comment on the ADV but at 5 lac all inclusive, you could get the Interceptor 650 + suspension modifications + upgrade to a tubeless tyre (just stating upgrades to things that most people complain about regarding the RE twins).

Last edited by shyamg28 : 6th August 2021 at 10:07.
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 00:56   #625
BHPian

Quote:

Key questions to owners:

Have done ~8000km and quite a few off road trips as well. Some of them quite technical in the hills of Kerala (more than what you'd encounter in a typical Ladakh trip for sure).

1. Is the low end torque bad? Yes. Absolutely and no question about it. But the real question should be, does that get in the way of anything really? The answer is a resounding NO. Whoever is saying the low end torque is a problem are saying so because they probably haven't used it much.

I have done steep inclines which are both loose mud and loose gravel, absolutely no issues going up. Offroad sessions have been superbly fun. And like I said, some of them were quite technical, much more than what you'd encounter in a typical Himalayan trek. You should watch the Kunzum Kaiser video by Ashish Raorane, he climbs a mountain in Ladakh with this bike. Seriously, I'm ready to challenge anyone who says the bike isn't off-road capable. Unless you're going to go full on Dirt Bike/Motocross, which I doubt anyone will, this bike will do 100% of your off-road scenarios. And everything with stock sprocket, chain, suspension and wheels.

What about overtaking at highway speeds? Not a problem at all. I constantly cruise at 105-110kmph on expressways and the RPM settles at around 5500. That's not even where the juice is on this bike. It comes to life after 6000. You'll easily jump to speeds of 130kmph within a couple of seconds. Not that I'm advocating it, I'm not..

All I'm saying is that the two biggest scenarios (I can think of) where you need the low end torque have never really been a problem. Ride the bike and see if it's a big deal for YOU. Sprocket changes are least of your problems dude.

2. I'm just shy of 5'8". Absolutely zero to worry about. Nada. If you're a seasoned rider you should do fine. Nilesh Dhumal of Big Rock Dirt Park (Nelly as he's known in Bangalore circles) is shy of 5'7". He gets airtime with the bbike. Same is with Ouseph Chacko too (ochacko@ is his Insta handle). Theweight is superbly balanced. I moved from an FZS for crying out loud. I have no issues taking this bike between traffic, thing rides like a Navi. Go and take a test ride, you'll see for yourself.

3. It's a heart decision. C'mon, your budget is 5L and you're here asking about a 3L bike. Pick what your heart wants. Ride all the options and then try. I had nothing else on my heart. Like you, I was concerned about the seat height. Took the test ride and I was sold. Booked it immediately. Took delivery the week after.

4. I'm definitely going to keep this baby.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 7th August 2021 at 01:09. Reason: Some more details, grammar and words.
krishnakumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 01:37   #626
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for quite a while and am amused by some of the feedback by the actual owners and also some of the riders who have ridden the bike. The contrarian opinion expressed on this thread has left me left me quite confused.

I'm looking for a bike for my younger brother. He used to ride a Suzuki Shogun back in the day and drives a Gypsy now. He's based in Himachal. He rides all over the Hill states (Himachal, J&K, Uttarakhand) with occasional trips to the plains of Indian heartland.

He wants to get back into motorcycling and I was in the process of doing some due diligence for the same.

I have shortlisted KTM ADV 390 & BMW G 310 GS. Himalayan has been ruled out as he has strong views about the brand. I was considering the Versys 650 as well but the bike is long in the tooth now and God only knows when Kawasaki will replace the existing variant.

Most of his rides are on bad/unpaved roads as he likes to explore the little known places that have not been popularized and invariably most of the roads leading to these places are well, pretty bad. He's not into off-roading (oft abused term when most users often mean riding on dirt roads). Range of the bike is a consideration and bike should have acceptable ride quality. KTM has three dealerships in Himachal and the nearest BMW dealership is in Chandigarh.

I have not ridden either of the bikes (without a motorcycle license, they wouldn't let me even sit on the bike here).

Request the esteemed forum members to provide their valuable input.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 7th August 2021 at 01:47.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 02:23   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I'm assuming you're using the QS the right way. It takes a little bit of learning curve and is counter-intuitive to normal riding.

You should NOT cut the throttle while upshifting. Hold the throttle position and upshift above 5000 RPM. Common mistake made by many is that at the time of upshifting they release the throttle a little. QS doesn't work properly if you release throttle.

If you're using it correctly, then get the QS learning cycle done once again at the SVC.

Also, I have found that the more you use the better it gets. For me the QS is butter smooth and such a convenience.

Pretty sure that nothing majorly wrong with the way I’m using it. 6-7 times out of 10 I still get butter smooth shifts. And the issue has appeared only over the last 500 kms.

Couple of things I noticed post last ride though.

1. Oil level has dipped below the max level to somewhere approximately between halfway between max and min.

2. I did reduce the clutch free-play about 500kms ago, so I’ve readjusted it back to the original level. Possible this might have caused the cable to tighten up without sufficient slack in some situations.

Haven’t had the chance to ride and validate this. I think I’ll get this checked out at the next service visit.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:17   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajram View Post

Pretty sure that nothing majorly wrong with the way I’m using it. 6-7 times out of 10 I still get butter smooth shifts. And the issue has appeared only over the last 500 kms.
I doubt if either of the reasons you have mentioned can affect the QS. I'd defer to experts in the group.

In this case, I suppose its best to get the QS learning cycle done once. I did a 750km trip recently and shifts from 5-6 were a little problematic. I'm thinking of visiting the SVC and getting the QS cycle done again.

It could also be the latest ECU update bugging? People have reported a few issues with V9. My 5-6 shifts problem started with the V9 update only.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 16:43   #629
Senior - BHPian

Screen flickering issue continues on my bike.
Updated to the latest software yesterday along with my first paid service, but this still happens.

Apparently, last night a new update has been rolled out specifically for this issue.
But I have my doubts over how a software update can fix this, looks more of a hardware issue.

Fingers crossed.
Not too keen on the TFT replacement in warranty, as it would reset my ODO to '0'.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_2913.jpg
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 19:59   #630
BHPian

Quote:
I moved on from an Electra for the same reasons - I wanted a motorcycle that had better cruising speeds. Initially I bought the Mahindra Mojo, as it ticked most of my requirements at the time, but it somehow didn't connect with me emotionally, over the two years of ownership. Upgraded to the Adv390 as soon as it was launched.

I haven't done any offroading yet (thanks to multiple lockdowns and a busy schedule) and cannot comment on this personally. But I haven't seen too many complaints from other owners in the group. I have had two longish rides to Udupi and Kerala and highway cruising is a breeze. There is a slight buzz at higher speeds but it should meet your requirements in this regard.

I am a shade below 5'8 and have had no problems so far. You get used to it after a couple of days.

I don't think there are any other do-it-all motorcycles that come close to the Adv390. Maybe the Himalayan, but with lower cruising speeds or the Dominar with less offroad capability. The new adv from Honda could be an option, but it will most likely get the same engine as the Hornet and be overpriced.

Yes. It is by no means niggle-free, but it offers fantastic value. Its not all rosy though - a couple of motorcycles from the first batch reported an issue with the fuel tank cracking, and it did give me some anxiety. I am not part of the owners' whatsapp groups for almost a year now, but I haven't heard anything since, so it seems like a case of the unlucky owners picking up the odd lemon. Opt for the extended warranty for peace of mind. So far so good for me and I am very happy with my choice.
a_chelat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks