Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 13:08   #586

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Hello,

Its been a little over a year since I bought my KTM 390 adventure, and there are a few issues that started cropping up in the recent past. For your reference, the odometer reads ~11,000 kms.

Issue 1: The engine oil consumption is an issue that I've read on the forum and I'm experiencing the same. The oil level drops down quite a lot (not measured) which I could sense by viewing through the transparent oil level screen. Although one can also refill oil, but I don't prefer carrying around engine oil bottle while on the long rides. Also, the drop in oil levels is significant to ignore.

Issue 2: The handle bar wobbles a bit during hard braking. This has been a recent issue and not sure if it has been present all along and I became more sensitive to it now. Anyone facing similar issue and any resolution around that?

To me, the oil level issue is not acceptable, as a significant drop is engine oil level could seriously hamper lubrication and cause irreversible wear between engine's components. I would also be bringing up the issue with the KTM service center, but not really sure if it could be solved. Seems to me, its more likely a design fault? Or maybe, I'm being too pessimistic here!

I'd really like to know your thoughts.
Kakashi91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 22:04   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi91 View Post
Issue 2: The handle bar wobbles a bit during hard braking...
Could be due to worn or deformed tires and/or misaligned wheel. Sometimes brake grabbing and abs pulsation can also "create" that sensation. I would first look at the condition of the tires.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 19:14   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Could be due to worn or deformed tires and/or misaligned wheel. Sometimes brake grabbing and abs pulsation can also "create" that sensation. I would first look at the condition of the tires.

-BJ
I'll definitely get the tyre alignment checked to see if that is a probable root cause.
Are you also facing similar drop in engine oil levels?
Old 24th June 2021, 12:11   #589
BHPian

With lockdown slowly opening up, got a chance to do couple of short breakfast rides over last two weekends!

Short video of 12th June weekend ride -

Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_11534101.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_12415101.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_12232401.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_11370301.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_11332001.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_12261301.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_12425401.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210613_12510802.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210619_11204101.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210619_11243601.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210619_11292301.jpg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20210619_12203101.jpg  

Ketan_R15 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 18:14   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Its been a little over a year since I bought my KTM 390 adventure, and there are a few issues that started cropping up in the recent past. For your reference, the odometer reads ~11,000 kms.

Issue 1: The engine oil consumption is an issue that I've read on the forum and I'm experiencing the same. The oil level drops down quite a lot (not measured) which I could sense by viewing through the transparent oil level screen. Although one can also refill oil, but I don't prefer carrying around engine oil bottle while on the long rides. Also, the drop in oil levels is significant to ignore.
Have you been keeping a tab on this before? Because the oil level doesn't show up when the bike is on its stand and/or when the engine is not at operating temperature. I have noticed this quite a bit before and there is no harm with this.

If your dash is not showing oil level issues, then there shouldn't be any issues with oil while the engine is running.

The KTM 390 engine is a tried and tested beast. I doubt if it'll have issues of oil consumption like this.

What you could try doing is to put the bike on paddock stand and run the engine idle until it registers 4 blocks on temp gauge (the operating engine temp). Then check if the oil level is showing up on the window.

Quote:

the odometer reads ~11,000 kms.

Issue 2: The handle bar wobbles a bit during hard braking. This has been a recent issue and not sure if it has been present all along and I became more sensitive to it now. Anyone facing similar issue and any resolution around that?
Do you have the Metzelers or the MRFs? Odo 11,000kms means you should be at the end of Metzeler life which is why it is now showing up and not showing up earlier.

Get a check on the tyre tread. It might be need replacement.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 18:23   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 View Post
With lockdown slowly opening up, got a chance to do couple of short breakfast rides over last two weekends!

Short video of 12th June weekend ride -

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=-XDTHANjZ6w
That seems like a nice get-away place!

Slightly off-topic, which top rack do you have installed on your KTM 390 ADV?
Old 30th June 2021, 19:06   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To me, the oil level issue is not acceptable, as a significant drop is engine oil level could seriously hamper lubrication and cause irreversible wear between engine's components. I would also be bringing up the issue with the KTM service center, but not really sure if it could be solved. Seems to me, its more likely a design fault? Or maybe, I'm being too pessimistic here!

I'd really like to know your thoughts.
Yes, anything above 70 ml per 1000 kms is not normal even as per KTM. I have the same issue and was borderline when we measured last. KTM has increased oil fill capacity by 50 ml to 1700 from earlier 1650 for filter change now to address this issue.

Regarding wobble during hard braking, you will need to first rule out issues with tyres and any alloy bends first, next would be to check for any warpage of the front disks.
Old 30th June 2021, 20:56   #593

On the engine oil level, the dashboard never showed any drop in engine oil pressures or any warning signs related to low oil levels. I did try checking the engine oil level after warm up and with the bike standing straight. I was surprised when the bike started taking in large volumes of oil close to its to next service interval.

I did try to raise this issue with KT service personnel, but they rubbed it off saying it is normal with these bikes, which I'm still in disagreement with.

My bike runs on Metzelers, and you have a valid point. I'll check the tread depth on the tyres next time to see if they've worn out.

Yes, I would also be checking for worn out tyres and then also look for any disc warpage. I did already check if there was any alloy bend, but there wasn't any.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st July 2021 at 00:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 30th June 2021, 22:59   #594
BHPian

Amazing thread and inspirational to see many a wanderers. Just got my 390A last week. Been 5 days and about 800KMS only. I love the legs on this motorcycle. You can so comfortably mile munch. I’m no off-roader (no offence to the veteran off-roaders here) but love going long and fast on tarmac. And of course, keeping the bike clean. Funnily enough, I got mine delivered with orange knuckle guards which I believe are from the duke 390. Anyone else seen this or are the 2021 stocks updated or jus one stray bike? I do like the look of it though. Diff paint but kinda pops. Are there any suggestions for paint care? Brands of polish tats used? Matte paints are quite touchy but look good when clean.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-25723dbd5be84141a87332ffd8bf8702.jpeg  

thevwguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 01:38   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevwguy View Post
I’m no off-roader (no offence to the veteran off-roaders here) but love going long and fast on tarmac.
Oh no! What have you said??! Jokes aside, 390Adv is going to serve you quite well on the road as well.

Quote:
Are there any suggestions for paint care? Brands of polish tats used? Matte paints are quite touchy but look good when clean.
I was going to say wear the dirt and scratches like a badge. That's what the bike is designed for. Until I read this:

Quote:
And of course, keeping the bike clean.
To be honest, most of them are plastic panels that can be easily replaced. Don't spend too much on paint protection. Give it a good wash every week and you should be good.

Use the Jopasu duster on a daily basis to keep it generally clean - it works great to remove dust from the matte portion without scratches. DO NOT use a random cloth for removing dust.

One additional piece of advice. RESIST the urge to modify the bike with all the bells and whistles. Resist it until you get a good feel of the bike and really figure out what's important for you and what's missing.

Instead invest in some good riding gears, spend money here. Trust me, it is an investment. Good quality riding gears don't come cheap but they will stay with you for a long time. And their function is priceless. You mentioned long and "fast". Include "safe" as well and you'll thank yourself for taking that decision later.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 11:14   #596
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, most of them are plastic panels that can be easily replaced. Don't spend too much on paint protection. Give it a good wash every week and you should be good.

Use the Jopasu duster on a daily basis to keep it generally clean - it works great to remove dust from the matte portion without scratches. DO NOT use a random cloth for removing dust.
Apologies but I should've given a better background! I'm one of those OCD characters and dirty automobiles are like a pet peeve to me. Wrong bike and group to say this out loud? Pardon me if so but to each his own. I owned a P220 that I rode and loved for 9 years and over a lakh KMS (pretty miniscule looking at all the vets here). I ride my motorcycles and drive my cars hard, stack miles but also don't shy away from TLC. In fact i enjoy them. I've always managed to get a kick out of someone who says "Wow that's clean" and even more at awe when they see the odo. I intend to keep my 390 ADV in that ball-park too. Only thing is, matte paint is new to me (not the paint itself but the care aspect). I was wondering if there are any brand or product suggestions that I could try out? I saw wavex on Amazon.in but wondering if there is anyone who has used them or some other recommendation? Apologies if off topic.

Quote:
One additional piece of advice. RESIST the urge to modify the bike with all the bells and whistles. Resist it until you get a good feel of the bike and really figure out what's important for you and what's missing.
Thank you, that's great advise. The only mod i've any interest towards right now are two - taller screen and saddle bags. But not anytime soon as I'm a returning rider. I've had a 4 year break and a bit rusty. I plan to ride at least 5K before venturing out on tours. I do hope I've not given away too many numbers pointing my age

Quote:
Instead invest in some good riding gears, spend money here. Trust me, it is an investment. Good quality riding gears don't come cheap but they will stay with you for a long time. And their function is priceless. You mentioned long and "fast". Include "safe" as well and you'll thank yourself for taking that decision later.
Thanks again and definitely yes. I've a few gears on back order from bikegear.in. For me and the Mrs. of course. I have to funnel some more funds this way in the coming weeks but as you said, an investment is the right direction indeed.

Last edited by thevwguy : 1st July 2021 at 11:23.
thevwguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 12:11   #597
BHPian

Quote:
The only mod i've any interest towards right now are two - taller screen and saddle bags. But not anytime soon as I'm a returning rider. I've had a 4 year break and a bit rusty. I plan to ride at least 5K before venturing out on tours. I do hope I've not given away too many numbers pointing my age
Welcome back to happy riding! Hopefully the lockdown restrictions lift soon and it gets safer to travel.

Regarding the taller screen I want to share my experience so that you can put yourself in the right mindset before you even consider on the options available. At the outset, if your idea is a lot of highway munching, it is absolutely the right mod for you. No questions here and there is a day and night difference with and without windshield.

I have the Carbon Racing windscreen that works great at high speeds provided you are under 5'9" height. Because of the shape of the windscreen, it creates a high speed vortex at a point slightly above the head position of someone taller than 5'9" - creates a lot of buffeting and I know many riders who have faced this. It is just impossible to ride long distances with that.

Even if you're below the 5'9", I would still advise not to get the CR windshield. After using it for over 3k kms, I thing it is too over-engineered to fit into our bike.

Our bike has a grave fault. The headlight module is mounted on just three points and almost hangs freely as a cantilever. You'd have noticed how much it shakes on bad roads and bumps. Slapping on more weight to it is just going to make it worse. And the headlight module comes as a single unit and is very expensive (IIRC ~20k). So do consider this whenever you're planning to buy the taller windshield.

When I'm back in Bangalore, I'm planning to replace the CR with a Prospec windscreen extender and give it a shot. I'll keep the group here posted on this.

On saddle bags, you absolutely need the saddle stay. Here the CR Adventour Saddle Stays are really good. They are very lightweight and sturdy. Looks quite good too.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:36   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Welcome back to happy riding! Hopefully the lockdown restrictions lift soon and it gets safer to travel.
Install the carbon racing shield without the alu stays. Try in both low and high positions. Do not use the angle block. Just install the shield defacto into the stock mount.

Try and report back with how you feel.

You might need to readjust your mirrors.
Old 1st July 2021, 14:22   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Install the carbon racing shield without the alu stays. Try in both low and high positions. Do not use the angle block. Just install the shield defacto into the stock mount.

Try and report back with how you feel.

You might need to readjust your mirrors.
Yes, I used to have it like that before the aluminium stays were launched (the pre-launch bookings batch). Although, I was always using the angle block.

The problem was that it was flexing quite a lot at highway speeds. With the stays that has significantly come down, but the overall head vibration increased invariably.

Haven't tried without the angle block. How does this help? Does it deflect the wind better?
Old 1st July 2021, 15:03   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Yes, I used to have it like that before the aluminium stays were launched (the pre-launch bookings batch). Although, I was always using the angle block.

The problem was that it was flexing quite a lot at highway speeds. With the stays that has significantly come down, but the overall head vibration increased invariably.

Haven't tried without the angle block. How does this help? Does it deflect the wind better?
It flexes because of the block.

Get rid of it, use the bolts that came with the stock screen. Ofcourse i have no idea if it will or wont work for your height and helmet and speeds.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks