Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 12:35   #301
BHPian

re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

Actually, when Honda came to India, they were to launch a 250 Twin but alas, they came out with a tepid Unicorn. Not being able to devote time to my RD 350 which I could not use for daily commuting and believing the story, I bought a HH Splendor as a stop gap arrangement (Because it has as much liquidity as cash in hand)

Remains to be seen, how the bike performs. I didn't go through the whole thread; has anyone ridden it?
Old 8th March 2011, 00:09   #302
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

IMO Kawasaki are not famous for their small displacement engines (< 500 cc ). So Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki will be safe bets, in that order.

You may want to take back the statement that Kwackers are not famous for small displacement engines. The 250 cc baby Ninja has been their best seller for no silly reason for nearly 2 decades. Agreed, there was not much competition but lets give them credit.

With the Honda 250cc, the competition's only getting better. Besides the Honda 250cc is not been ridden yet to claim it to be better than Kawa.
Old 9th March 2011, 23:55   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The 250 cc baby Ninja has been their best seller for no silly reason for nearly 2 decades.
It surely is considered the best entry level bike across most of the world.

BTW, 2500 for CBR250R bookings is not exactly flattering number. I was expecting a bigger number. Probably few cars have had much higher booking numbers than this (most recent being Fortuner?). Anyway, I am secretly happy about it. That will keep Honda's feet on ground at least in the beginning. If you want to buy an Activa, even today after so many years, you have to cope up with "wait for 3 months or leave" attitude.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:19   #304
Senior - BHPian

My next upgrade for sure. Once I have clocked 10000kms more on my 220 and recovered fully from the recent mishap I had though.
Old 10th March 2011, 21:01   #305
BHPian

Not many people seem to know of this bike except for those keenly following auto news. May be the interest may pick up once the bike is seen on the roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It surely is considered the best entry level bike across most of the world.

BTW, 2500 for CBR250R bookings is not exactly flattering number. I was expecting a bigger number. Probably few cars have had much higher booking numbers than this (most recent being Fortuner?). Anyway, I am secretly happy about it. That will keep Honda's feet on ground at least in the beginning. If you want to buy an Activa, even today after so many years, you have to cope up with "wait for 3 months or leave" attitude.
Old 10th March 2011, 23:43   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
From what i have read difference between a single and a twin of the same capacity:

Twin Cylinder
Adv

- HIgher redline RPM
- Higher topspeed
- Less vibrations near redline and at higher rpm
- Less strain to the engine on cruising at higer RPM near redline for prolonged duration as on a highway

Disadv
- Less low end torque at slower speeds and lower rpm
- Requires frequent gear changes to keep the engine in its powerband
- Requires constant input from accelerator to keep the engine at higher rpms
- Engine is costlier to maintain
- Engine is costlier to produce
- Is slightly less fuel efficient

Single
Adv

- More low end torque
- Provides more linear torque requiring less changes in gear to get required acceleration
- Slightly more fuel efficient
- Cheaper to manufacture
- Cheaper to maintain

Disadv

- More vibrations at higher rpm ( Honda says for cbr250r - Smoothing out the Single’s inherent vibes is a counterbalanced shaft)
- A slightly lower top end speed
- A slightly lower redline rpm
- Feels strained at higher rpm near redline especially on sustained high rpm cruising
What about the sound dude? I would spend a million rupees (if I have ) for a bike which sounds like the Suzuki GSXR 1000 but not even a lakh for one which sounds like a Ninja 250.

Initially I thought the 'two' cylinder engines have that kind of sound, but the Ninja despite being twin cylinder (parallel twin) doesn't have that sound (It sounds closer to a P220 which I own).

So what exactly brings out 'that' sound in bikes like Suzuki GSXR 1000 (which truely makes heads turn more than the visual appeal). Is it the v-twin engine or is it the exhaust system (like the custom tuned exhausts in HD's)?

See my point is that some time back people used to 'modify' Pulsar and Karizma and CBZ's into super bikes. Some of the jobs were well done. But what really took out the sheen of those mods were the ugly 'guddu' 'guddu' sound of the poor single cylinder engines unlike the Monsters like Buzas, R1's, GSXR's etc

PS: My office is near Jyoti Nivas Womens College in Koramangala, Bangalore and I know how the chicks head turn when a dude comes up in such a super sports bike with that typical woosh sound!!!

Suzuki GSXR 1000 (Listen to the sound. Agree it has a modded exhaust, but still see the notes)

Ninja 250 (Listen to the sound. No matter what mod one does, can never match the other sound)

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 10th March 2011 at 23:57.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:06   #307
Senior - BHPian

Funnily i happen to come across a GSX1000R today.Looked brilliant in a grey shade.But as the guy accelerated from standstill,i was expecting glorious roar but all that came out was a strange whiny sort of noise.Very smooth but not impressive,and that guy accelerated fast so he had used quite a bit of the throttle.

Maybe this was an excetion,the bike looked fairly new.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:09   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
So what exactly brings out 'that' sound in bikes like Suzuki GSXR 1000 (which truely makes heads turn more than the visual appeal). Is it the v-twin engine or is it the exhaust system (like the custom tuned exhausts in HD's)?
The GSXR1000 is a 4 cyl bike. Even the 600 cc bikes have the same sound.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:16   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The GSXR1000 is a 4 cyl bike. Even the 600 cc bikes have the same sound.
ohh well. Thanks for the info. so shall we conclude that such sound exist in 4-cyl bikes alone?
Old 11th March 2011, 08:51   #310
BHPian

Does anyone when CBR250R would be available for test ride? I have a booking, but want to do a test drive before go ahead with it.
Old 11th March 2011, 21:32   #311
BHPian

@ sam most of the jap superbikes dont have that fabulous roar with stock pipes. They just emit a high pitch whine. The roar comes in with custom exhaust mods.

The ducatis and aprillias have a sound all thier own . Its more like a 50 cal machine gun compared to the jap bikes which sound more like an AK47

As far as the CBR250 is concerned expect it to sound even weaker than the ninja 250 as the honda is a single cylinder.

But you dont need a superbike to get a great sound. You will know that if you have heard an Yamaha RD350 in full roar.

@ Altius. Bad news im afraid as regards test ride and display models. When i asked a dealer a couple of days back if the display bike had come, he said it will be april before it comes. When i asked him how he was saying april when the delivery is supposed to start by april second weak, all he could say was that they have not received any kind of communacatuion from honda till now and so he could not comment.

So im afraid it will be a long wait for those who are expecting delivery by april mid, unless honda steps up to the pad and delivers on time. Makes me wonder on the pricing as well as no one is confirming the pricing.
Old 11th March 2011, 23:39   #312
Team-BHP Support

Excuse for OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
You will know that if you have heard an Yamaha RD350 in full roar.
Saar, its a 2 stroke. Even the RX and or the Shogun make your hair stand.

Those who wish to hear the most orgasmic sound, try searching for "NSR500 exhaust" and "MOTO GUZZI 8 CILINDRI SOUND" on You Tube.

Not copying and posting as it would take up space.

In short, I love the way I-4's sound, and no single or twin cylinder Motorcycle can bring out the exhaust note of a 4, don't believe me? Try searching for Balius (A Kawasaki with 250cc's and 4 cyl engine) and the Honda CBR-400RR.
Old 12th March 2011, 00:45   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
ohh well. Thanks for the info. so shall we conclude that such sound exist in 4-cyl bikes alone?
Yes,
But even triples like the Triumph have a similar sound but only a v.high rpms. At low revs they have a different beat.
Old 12th March 2011, 03:29   #314
BHPian

Booked mine yesterday, they said they'll have one for display by 2md week of April, and would deliver mine before April end, dunno how true that is. Counting my days.
Old 14th March 2011, 23:28   #315
Team-BHP Support

Launch is supposed to be on 25th March 2011.

Honda is targetting selling close to 30,000 units in a year, and has already received more than 2500 bookings.

Honda Optimistic About CBR250R Sales

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks