Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 22:18   #1111
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I am no Ford owner. But a close friend of mine has problems with high maintenance charges. For a 6 yrs old Ikon his annual maintenance is around 50K since the last 2 years.
The Ford workshops there are notorious for over-charging customers. The attitude of Ford A.S.S was also nothing to write home about.

Good for him he found an independent workshop and now he hardly visits the Ford authorised A.S.S. This may be a one off exception but there there is no denying the fact that there are several OEMs that offers much better A.S.S
1) Maruti
2) Hyundai
3) Toyota
4) Honda
5) Chevrolet
Quite possible friend, these kinds of cases can be seen with every other brand. My brother-in-law’s Accent is newer than my Ikon in India, but most of the time the car his car was at the service centre, and had spend good amount of money on the car. Now he is dealing with an independent service outlet. But just because of that reason, it’s not right from my side to give a statement that Hyundai A.S&S is bad.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:27   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Finally after waiting for so many days I finally saw the commercial of NFF.
I am happy it looks good, I should say one of best commercials of Ford in India.

In case if you have not seen it till now. Here it is
xingamazon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 00:46   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite possible friend, these kinds of cases can be seen with every other brand. My brother-in-law’s Accent is newer than my Ikon in India, but most of the time the car his car was at the service centre, and had spend good amount of money on the car. Now he is dealing with an independent service outlet. But just because of that reason, it’s not right from my side to give a statement that Hyundai A.S&S is bad.
VB, you have put it perfectly! These one-off cases do happen, I agree. And we must not jump to conclusions because of such cases. If these cases are more frequent, then I would definitely say that the AS&S is bad.
Old 28th August 2011, 01:43   #1114
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Finally after waiting for so many days I finally saw the commercial of NFF.
I am happy it looks good, I should say one of best commercials of Ford in India.

In case if you have not seen it till now. Here it is
All-New Ford Fiesta TVC for India - YouTube
IIRC, the car featured in the add had black vinyl/leather seats. The NFF has only fabric seats. IMO Ford Figo had wonderful emotionally touching ads.
Old 28th August 2011, 11:23   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen

Only a massive price cut or a re-positioning can do such a trick. But Apart from pricing Indians dont take lightly 2 things
1) Interior quality
2) A.S.S
Look at Fiat.
And that is where Ford has messed up.

We don’t give a damn about handling, thud etc etc.
I'd say from my experience over the past 4.5 years, fords A.S.S is not that bad, but its not that great either. As for A.S.S. being expensive, I have found it quite reasonable. It would not be a reason to not buy a Ford.

But yes, I did feel the quality of the NFF did not justify the price tag attached to it making it apparently the highest priced in its group. When paying 11 - 12+ Lakh on a car I expect it to match up in all respects.

I think the thread on this forum had raised a lot of expectation on power, improved interiors and competitive pricing, and the NFF has, IMHO, failed to live up in all 3 areas. I leave out driving experience, as that was just fine in my short TD.

Let's see if Ford gets their next model launch right - I am hoping for the Focus, but lack of an idea of when it is coming might have me buying another brand...
Old 28th August 2011, 13:34   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Given there are issues with most cars in the segment, as there usually are, if the NFF can have a slightly more powerful engine (not only specs, but across the torque curve), it should lead to more acceptability. The much superior handling alone will appeal to a very small segment; especially at this price point.

And yes, that should not be at a significantly higher price.

Wonder if Ford is even acknowledging the situation and if it wants to do anything about it.

This car has potential, but only after some changes.
Though if a car opens badly, it a whole lot tougher to make it work later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Only a massive price cut or a re-positioning can do such a trick. But Apart from pricing Indians dont take lightly 2 things
1) Interior quality
2) A.S.S
Look at Fiat.
And that is where Ford has messed up.

We don’t give a damn about handling, thud etc etc.
Fiat has many other issues. They have not had a truly successful model for ages (ever, if we count the Permier Padmani out).

If NFF has a better engine it would be a credible competitor to the Vento for being a fairly well rounded sedan.

The A$$ or interior quality of the Vento is nothing to write home about either, though it may not have those small appalling areas like the NFF has (e.g. armrest hinge). The Vento has better space in the rear though, but not the easiest ingress/egress for a tall person.

Has the time to judge the NFF sales started only now?

We already have a verdict on NFF. And probably rightly.
However, most people around barely even know that the car exists. The advertizements have only really started now. Seems Ford is finally getting ready. With general people (as opposed to the few who may visit forums like this) would only really know about the car now (am surprised about how many purchases are made almost casually).

Maybe, just maybe, things will change for the NFF.
Old 28th August 2011, 20:10   #1117
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove the NFF briefly today, and walked away with mixed opinions.
I went to the new Ford showroom in South Mumbai - Wasan Ford on Marine Lines. They were a Tata dealership earlier, and though their service was good, it could have been a little better.
I drove up in our 82Kkm Fiesta TDCi, and took a TD of the Figo TDCi (which was very similar to our Fiesta, but a little bit more noisier, and some hidden plastics were not of as good quality), saw the new Fiesta Classic SXi, and the NFF TDCi.
When I drove the NFF, the first 3 things I noticed were:
- The doors close reassuringly - Love the Build Quality
- The engine is surprisingly quiet once inside
- The clutch is much heavier and jerkier when disengaging than the Figo and Fiesta TDCi.
Once we got moving, I really liked the seamless, linear power delivery, and turbo lag wasn't much of a bother. However, using the clutch was a bit unnerving.
The steering felt quite light, but overall stability was good.
The ride was firm, and a bit choppy over the potholes, but composure was quite good on those roads and passengers didn't get pitched around as much as they would have in the Octavia. However, it was just slightly better than the old fiesta.
Did not get an opportunity to test the handling, however, the car felt quite nimble and the brakes felt responsive. Actually enjoyed driving this car, and would have even liked to park it in my garage.... till I saw the prices! While I wouldn't have minded spending so much on it, soft touch interiors like in the SXi, and leather would have been two things I would have wanted to see at least!
To sum up -
What I liked:
- Performance is a step up
- Composure and balance on rough roads
- Nimble and easy to drive in the city
- Build Quality

What I didn't like:
- Leg room very similar to Fiesta
- Jerky and heavier clutch
- Overpriced!

Would I buy it?
Heck no! Not at these prices at least! Having owned 3 fords, I would have liked to see this as an upgrade, but was disappointed with the overall package at the price they were asking. I personally felt that the Vento was a much better deal, however, am still to test that car on the roads I tested the NFF on, and feelings could change after that.
Was very impressed with the car, just not the pricing for it.
However, it did bring out appreciation for the Fiesta, which at 82KKm, still drives and runs like no ones business.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 22:47   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Let's see if Ford gets their next model launch right - I am hoping for the Focus, but lack of an idea of when it is coming might have me buying another brand...
Focus is the most anticipated model from Ford. With a good Diesel option it has the capability to murder Cruze. But will they price it correctly.
Till date other than Figo, Fords are slightly overpriced. The Previous gen Fiesta had a lot of discounts and ltd editions to get the sales going.
Fusion is another example where an idea of (overpriced?) (hatch?) made it a market Dud. And now the NFF is overpricing at its best.

Quote:
Fiat has many other issues. They have not had a truly successful model for ages (ever, if we count the Permier Padmani out).
Other than interior part quality and crappy A.S.S I dont see any issues.

Quote:
If NFF has a better engine it would be a credible competitor to the Vento for being a fairly well rounded sedan.
Well to be an allrounder you cant have too many deal breakers. The previous gen fiesta was never an allrounder. It was more of an enthusiast's choice. So is the NFF. The deal breakers:
- Performance (competition asks for 1.6L engines)
- Space (Not in the league of City/Vento)
- Rear design (More ugly than SX4)
- Interior fit and finish (as good as Fiat)
- Suspension is on the stiffer side. Hence the ride is a bit harsh at low speeds. (I will welcome it but not sure if the am admi will)

Just a better engine cant do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
What I liked:
- Performance is a step up
That is for the diesel only. But I felt the lag is more compared to Figo. The biggest advantage in the Diesel model is refinement. Blew me away. I was wondering if this really had a diesel under the hood.

As for the petrol one the 1.6L is by far the better engine.

Last edited by oxyzen : 28th August 2011 at 22:48.
Old 29th August 2011, 05:27   #1119
MAS
Senior - BHPian

After almost a month of restless, sleepless nights I have "finally" decided.

NFF is the car for me... :-)

My options (obviously) were

Magnum - thanks to Poitive and Keyur, I was tempted to look at this machine. Liked it a lot, but found it to be old school. It had everything, but somehow did not appeal completely to my heart and mind. Plus the A.S.S being untested territory (for me) and the shorter 5000 km services were going to be a pain. Had been to the showroom yesterday once again. Drove a different car again (saw one with T BHP stickers-will post it in appropriate thread), but frankly, the car is well past its prime.

Verna - Drove the car twice. Loved the engine and the short gear changes. Was amazing to drive in the traffic, BUT due to its "over-reacting" suspension, did not get the confidence and comfort I was looking in my next car. In spite of being priced well (SX), I simply could not accept the bad ride quality. As I drive a Fusion, the difference in ride quality, especially on uneven surfaces at speed above 70 K were not confidence inspiring (to say the least). Gadgets were a plenty and it had everything I could ask for, but I buy a car to enjoy driving it and not playing with the gadgets and look & brake for every small patch or uneven surface on Indian roads

Vento - It is a Polo with a boot. Loved the built quality, but being 6' 2", had hit the roof as many times I sat and got out of the car. Engine was noisy and was not as refined as the other cars + NVH was pretty high for a German Car. The dealer seemed too busy to sell me a car. Waiting period was 6 months and did not find anything special about the car except for the VW name.

Linea - this was a surprise entry (kind of wild card entry) as I happened to look at this car when I went to look at the Safari. Drove well, handles well, interiors were good and the Emotion Pack had loads to features plus was priced very well (9,75 Lakhs OTR!!!). But the engine was noisy, rough and the infamous turbo kicks were not felt. After driving the above three cars, this car looked like a segment lower. The puny engine was a turn off, but I rate the handling a distant second to the NFF. The A.S.S was nothing to write home about. If I were on a tighter budget, I would have bought his car.

NFF - Did 3 test drives. Loved the car more and more after each test drive (thanks to the Verna TD). NVH is amazing, did not sound like a diesel. High speed stability was the best among the cars. The car was completely composed when driven on bad roads, pot holes and uneven roads. I felt completely in control no matter what I threw in the path. Loads and loads of grip was only making me push the car more. Being just 90 bhp was not much of a bother as the car pulled cleanly. The interior quality was not as bad as it was being projected. Yes, the plastics could have been better, but everything seemed to be put together well, except for the rear seat arm rest. As I will never spend time at the back, will keep the arm rest always closed. Now came the difficult question of choosing which variant to buy. Titanium seemed to be a bit away from my budget. The VAC did not seem to be something I would use, plus the Trend Variant had almost everything I was looking at (ABS, Airbags, EBD, ACC, Alloys, Fogs), I have decided to go in for this variant.

Hope to book the car sometime this week. Will this thread updated.

P.S: the opinion about the various cars are purely based on TDs. It was not intended to offend any current owners of the respective cars.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 08:02   #1120
Senior - BHPian

So it seems ford research team did a good job. Those who dont want to compromise on their car are surely going ahead and paying the bucks they are asking for. But i still wonder why they did not price it well and make it an even bigger success than the Figo. Maybe they did not have enough facilities to manage two successes running parallel.
Old 29th August 2011, 08:44   #1121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

NFF - Did 3 test drives. Loved the car more and more after each test drive (thanks to the Verna TD). NVH is amazing, did not sound like a diesel. High speed stability was the best among the cars. The car was completely composed when driven on bad roads, pot holes and uneven roads. I felt completely in control no matter what I threw in the path. Loads and loads of grip was only making me push the car more. Being just 90 bhp was not much of a bother as the car pulled cleanly. The interior quality was not as bad as it was being projected. Yes, the plastics could have been better, but everything seemed to be put together well, except for the rear seat arm rest. As I will never spend time at the back, will keep the arm rest always closed. Now came the difficult question of choosing which variant to buy. Titanium seemed to be a bit away from my budget. The VAC did not seem to be something I would use, plus the Trend Variant had almost everything I was looking at (ABS, Airbags, EBD, ACC, Alloys, Fogs), I have decided to go in for this variant.

Hope to book the car sometime this week. Will this thread updated.

P.S: the opinion about the various cars are purely based on TDs. It was not intended to offend any current owners of the respective cars.
Congratulations MAS. An inspired choice I would say. I also feel that the interior quality issue is a bit overrated. If it is that bad, it would have got clearly highlighted in our official review (and in the reviews by other publications).

What colour you plan to book? Looking forward to the ownership thread!
Old 29th August 2011, 10:45   #1122
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I think thats a pretty fair comparison. It all boils down to one's requirements and budget.
Hi Mustang

I am going ahead and booking the NFF. I have a few questions
- please let me know if Ford is working to launch any kind of loyalty program for existing Ford customers.
- OT: heard Ford is working on a mini-SUV to be launched in March 2012 and priced around 6-7 lakhs. Is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
So it seems ford research team did a good job. Those who dont want to compromise on their car are surely going ahead and paying the bucks they are asking for.
Looks like they have their research spot on. The new engine is adequately powered (yes, we would have loved to get the 1.6 L 110 bhp TDCi, but ), is going to be fuel efficient (TD Car showed it drank 7.8 Litres of Diesel/100 kms with our ruthless red-line driving), handles well (any person who loves to drive would fall in love with this car). The only turn-off is the pricing. I wish Ford positioned the Titanium less than 10 Lakhs. It would have saved us a great deal of tax money and made it more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
But i still wonder why they did not price it well and make it an even bigger success than the Figo. Maybe they did not have enough facilities to manage two successes running parallel.
You could be right. May be they want to taste one success at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations MAS. An inspired choice I would say. I also feel that the interior quality issue is a bit overrated. If it is that bad, it would have got clearly highlighted in our official review (and in the reviews by other publications).

What colour you plan to book? Looking forward to the ownership thread!
Thanks VB, i actually lost sleep till i came to this decision. I am satisfied now as the car has convinced me that it is the one for me. Fiesta looks best in Diamond White. As i will find white difficult to maintain (TD car was white and already had some war marks, which showed very well), I am looking at booking the Moondust Silver. Hope Ford delivers the car sooner. The dealer said there is a two month waiting period and i dropped a jaw when i heard that. I haven't seen any NFF on the road in Chennai except for the TD cars. I wonder what is keeping Ford factory busy.

Last edited by MAS : 29th August 2011 at 10:47.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 10:54   #1123
BHPian

My first post. Been lurking in this forum for quite sometime. But after a TD on the Vento Highline (Petrol) and the NFF, I felt more ‘comfortable’ with NFF. This being the third car with Ford possibly made me feel that way. Mine is an NFF Petrol (Titanium / Chill Metallic) taken delivery last week. Makes me want to ditch the good old Fiesta TDCI. But still keeping that for the daily workhorse duties.

Quality of the interiors may not be as good as the Vento, but (in my opinion) is far offset by the ride and handling aspects. The ICE is quite good!

Will post a few pictures once I get the chance and possibly a comparo with the Fiesta TDCI SXI (in terms of interiors; I know it does not justify comparing a petrol to a diesel).

Note: At Chennai, slowly looks like more cars are being registered. Saw a Chill Metallic and a Sea grey NFF being driven away (with registered plates) since last week…
Old 29th August 2011, 11:10   #1124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Titanium seemed to be a bit away from my budget. The VAC did not seem to be something I would use, plus the Trend Variant had almost everything I was looking at (ABS, Airbags, EBD, ACC, Alloys, Fogs), I have decided to go in for this variant.
Good to hear this @MAS. Glad to see you went by your own thought process than the overall bashing the car is getting on this forum.

In spite of its niggles (in interiors) & high pricing, it is a lovely car.
Which colour have you opted for? I hope you give black & (dark) grey a thought, somehow I feel the car would look amazingly well in these colours, especially the black!

Edit : Just saw your above post above Moondust Silver. Still do give all colours a thought!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review-black-fiesta.jpg  

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th August 2011 at 11:12.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 11:26   #1125
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw one on the road for the first time today.
in white, on the G'gaon expressway.
Titanium+.

Am partially a fiesta fanboy, but this car desperately needs a face....er...bum-lift.
Desperately!
love it from every other angle, but that head-on rear view is just not doing things.

The guy in the car seemed absolutely content, though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks