Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 11:38   #1126
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
After almost a month of restless, sleepless nights I have "finally" decided.

NFF is the car for me... :-)

Hope to book the car sometime this week. Will this thread updated.
Congrats on your decision, MAS. NFF is certainly a driver's car and you have taken an informed decision by trying out all the cars in this category. Hope you get your machine soon.

I too would have gone with NFF but for:

1. I would be hiring a driver and do not want to sit in the rear and give the driving pleasure to someone else.

2. Rear bench is good for only 2 adults.

3. Price. 12.19L OTR Hyd for Titanium seemed too steep. I got my Optra LT for 10.63 OTR - that is a cool 1.5L saving for me.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:10   #1127
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Congrats on your decision, MAS. NFF is certainly a driver's car and you have taken an informed decision by trying out all the cars in this category. Hope you get your machine soon.

I too would have gone with NFF but for:

1. I would be hiring a driver and do not want to sit in the rear and give the driving pleasure to someone else.

2. Rear bench is good for only 2 adults.

3. Price. 12.19L OTR Hyd for Titanium seemed too steep. I got my Optra LT for 10.63 OTR - that is a cool 1.5L saving for me.
Optra Magnum is a good car and in its LT avatar, it is fully loaded. The rear bench is like a Sofa and had loads of space. Excellent choice for your requirement.

In my case, i would be driving the car, and most of the time, i would be alone or with just one passenger on my side, it was the best driver's car in the budget i was looking for. If Ford had priced it better, i would have gone for the Titanium Plus which comes with Cruise Control. No savings for me

Last edited by MAS : 29th August 2011 at 13:23.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:23   #1128
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Good to hear this @MAS. Glad to see you went by your own thought process than the overall bashing the car is getting on this forum.

In spite of its niggles (in interiors) & high pricing, it is a lovely car.
Which colour have you opted for? I hope you give black & (dark) grey a thought, somehow I feel the car would look amazingly well in these colours, especially the black!

Edit : Just saw your above post above Moondust Silver. Still do give all colours a thought!
Thank you ninjatalli. Even i was put off when i saw interiors of the car in flesh. But a TD changed all that. Even yesterday, i saw many people walking away from the car after looking at the interiors and the price list.

My thought process for choosing Moondust Silver is as follows
- Most of my driving would be on the highway and half of it is usually at the the wee hours of the night. Visibility of the car to others at that hour of the night is very important for me.
- I love my cars and i always maintain them "spic and span". I do not have a GDW (Gaadi Dhone Waala) to clean the car. A lighter colour is always easy to maintain.
- In 2006, I owned a Black Getz. Loved the colour, but had trouble keeping it shining and asked for too much of my time. Then, i had a big accident and the whole right of the car was ripped off by a truck. If the truck was like 2 inches inside, it would have been a different story. After that, my sentiments do not allow me to purchase a darker shade.

Edit: @ Mods, please merge this post with my previous one. Did not realize i was posting back to back. Sorry...

Last edited by MAS : 29th August 2011 at 13:24.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:24   #1129
BHPian

Got a chance to TD the petrol NFF on 6th of August. I’m a bit late in writing the report, but better late than never – so here goes…

Showroom Experience: The Bhagat Ford showroom is the only one in Dehradun - well lighted, airy and good ambience inside. The sales team is also quite friendly – have been in touch with them for a few months now, ever since the NFF was “unveiled” in Delhi a few months back. Moreover, since I had already booked my petrol titanium with them on 10th July (before the prices were announced), this TD was more of a formality for them. Anyways, me n my wife reached the showroom around noon. There was a silver titanium diesel Fiesta on display, with hardly any other customer around. The TD petrol vehicle was parked outside and we straightway went for one… it was a white titanium plus.

I was looking at the New Fiesta for the first time ‘outside’ the showroom, and now it didn’t look that beautiful… maybe it was the effect of unexpected high price playing tricks on my mind (!), or the white colour which didn’t look so cool in the afternoon sun… but the car looked a bit diminutive and disproportionate from certain angles. Entering the car was easy, and the comfy driver’s seat made me forget all these impressions for a while…

Driving experience: The console looked impressive and the steering felt very good. Turn on the ignition key… hey, did I hear the engine start? With the windows rolled up, there’s hardly any engine noise inside the cabin. The starting pick up was good and getting to the main road outside was a matter of few seconds. The clutch was soft and all the pedals felt just in perfect place. Took a quick and sharp U-turn - the turning radius seemed much less than the declared 5.2 metres. Reached the speed of 80 very comfortably as we sped onwards on the Dehradun Saharanpur highway. Changing gears was quite comfortable and crisp. The road was slightly hilly and we were on a slight downslope, so I didn’t feel any dearth of power, and the delivery seemed quite linear. But the best part was the very controlled and precise handling, and the confidence inspiring grip on the road.

But as soon as the road leveled out and then moved onto a slight uphill, the peppiness was simply not there. Overtaking, at around 80-90 kmph, required a lot of effort, as if the engine is struggling hard. It only felt a little better than my WagonR . Then we took a brief diversion onto a potholed road. The suspension seemed tuned well – above, say 40kmph, the ride was more or less smooth. Then there was this massive hump in the middle of the road. Tried going over it in 2nd gear – the engine stopped. Restarted the engine. Seemed like some Herculean effort for the car to cross the obstacle. The sales executive sitting next to me didn’t even try to offer an explanation ! This car definitely deserved a more powerful engine.

Interiors and Convenience: The dash, the central console and the steering, all give a very sporty and impressive look to the car. The driver seat is comfortable and the front and rear visibility are good. The voice commands operated without any trouble. Made and received a few phone calls using voice control… perfect ! the audio sound quality does not look like OEM – I think the best OEM audio out there. Wife, who preferred to sit in the rear throughout the 15 km drive, felt mostly comfortable in the rear seat.

Other Impressions:
1. Though the seats are comfortable, especially the front ones, the cabin doesn’t feel spacious - maybe the effect of dull grey black interiors…
2. Cooling is very effective. However, the blower is quite noisy. Almost unusable beyond level 3 (and we talk of benchmark NVH levels). Me and wife both had a strange experience regarding the blower(?) - we felt a sort of compression / airlocking in our ears. Had to roll down the windows and then it felt better.
3. Power windows up-down buttons are positioned awkwardly.
4. Interior plastic quality is inconsistent – at some places it looks quite cheap.
5. Rear seat armrest is useless, being positioned quite high (at least for our family – I’m 5’6). And those hinges need to be covered somehow.
6. Could not understand the locking mechanism – all 4 doors open from inside when locked… even when the car is moving (checked at around 50kmph).
7. The omission of rear cabin light is simply preposterous… this is a 10L sedan, not some entry level hatchback!

Conclusion: Could have been an excellent sedan with a better engine and some better interiors. Good handling, excellent steering, a great ICE with voice controls and the front looks – these are probably the things to write home about. But the “strange” pricing has offset even those saving factors

Have finally applied for cancellation of my booking.
rock22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 14:37   #1130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS

Hi Mustang

I am going ahead and booking the NFF. I have a few questions
- please let me know if Ford is working to launch any kind of loyalty program for existing Ford customers.
- OT: heard Ford is working on a mini-SUV to be launched in March 2012 and priced around 6-7 lakhs. Is it true?

Looks like they have their research spot on. The new engine is adequately powered (yes, we would have loved to get the 1.6 L 110 bhp TDCi, but ), is going to be fuel efficient (TD Car showed it drank 7.8 Litres of Diesel/100 kms with our ruthless red-line driving), handles well (any person who loves to drive would fall in love with this car). The only turn-off is the pricing. I wish Ford positioned the Titanium less than 10 Lakhs. It would have saved us a great deal of tax money and made it more competitive.

Hi,

The loyalty program already exists in which you get extended warranty free.

Also, ford is working on a mini suv but it wont be launched before 2013 and will certainly cost more than 7 lacs.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 14:53   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After almost a month of restless, sleepless nights I have "finally" decided.

NFF is the car for me... :-)

-----------
NFF - Did 3 test drives. Loved the car more and more after each test drive (thanks to the Verna TD). NVH is amazing, did not sound like a diesel. High speed stability was the best among the cars. The car was completely composed when driven on bad roads, pot holes and uneven roads. I felt completely in control no matter what I threw in the path. Loads and loads of grip was only making me push the car more. Being just 90 bhp was not much of a bother as the car pulled cleanly. The interior quality was not as bad as it was being projected. Yes, the plastics could have been better, but everything seemed to be put together well, except for the rear seat arm rest. As I will never spend time at the back, will keep the arm rest always closed. Now came the difficult question of choosing which variant to buy. Titanium seemed to be a bit away from my budget. The VAC did not seem to be something I would use, plus the Trend Variant had almost everything I was looking at (ABS, Airbags, EBD, ACC, Alloys, Fogs), I have decided to go in for this variant.
Hey MAS!!! Finally!! LOL

Am glad you are over this dilemma. Our observations about the cars has been pretty much the same (except, expectedly, some bits about the Magnum ).

What I had loved about this car was it's composure and sense of stability across surfaces. The engine too felt very refined.

Overall the car should feel pretty good, surefooted and confidence inspiring for your highway drives. Would need to plan your overtaking a bit though. But well, you are likely to be a lot better than a Linea, so you would be placed well enough. IIRC the TD car for me had only done about 200 kms or so. With time, the engine should open up a bit and feel more free.

All the best for being with this car. Looking forward to your ownership report now! (aren't we guys impatient - you are yet to book!)

Despite talk about it's cabin being short on space, it is interesting how people as tall are going in for the NFF. Carfreak77 too has this and is about 6'2" IIRC.

@Oxyzen - will get back on the discussion above later, mate.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 15:57   #1132
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Hi,

The loyalty program already exists in which you get extended warranty free.

Also, ford is working on a mini suv but it wont be launched before 2013 and will certainly cost more than 7 lacs.
Thanks Mustang. The dealer says it is not available for the NFF, but for the Fiesta Classic. Seems like "haggling" the dealer will begin early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hey MAS!!! Finally!! LOL

Am glad you are over this dilemma. Our observations about the cars has been pretty much the same (except, expectedly, some bits about the Magnum ).

What I had loved about this car was it's composure and sense of stability across surfaces. The engine too felt very refined.

Overall the car should feel pretty good, surefooted and confidence inspiring for your highway drives. Would need to plan your overtaking a bit though. But well, you are likely to be a lot better than a Linea, so you would be placed well enough. IIRC the TD car for me had only done about 200 kms or so. With time, the engine should open up a bit and feel more free.

All the best for being with this car. Looking forward to your ownership report now! (aren't we guys impatient - you are yet to book!)

Despite talk about it's cabin being short on space, it is interesting how people as tall are going in for the NFF. Carfreak77 too has this and is about 6'2" IIRC.
Yes, , "Finally ;-)" (taken from your VVS thread) decided to go in for the NFF. Good to see you active at this time of the day.

I had a lot of information from your thread and this is the first time my purchase has gone through so much research. Will discuss the Magnum stuff in the VVS thread.

In the NFF, the seat height adjustment works well, unlike in some other cars where it is just "Naam ke vaaste". The difference in height is so much that at the lowest position, the seat was too low even for my height.

Just got the quote for the "Trend" variant after removing the "essential pack" and "3rd year extended warranty". Would send it to my head office for processing the advance. Insurance would be taken outside once the PDI is over.

Will start a new thread once i get the car. I guess September and October would fly past quickly with successive travel plans. Fingers crossed till i lay my hands on the NFF.
Old 29th August 2011, 16:44   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Optra Magnum is a good car and in its LT avatar, it is fully loaded. The rear bench is like a Sofa and had loads of space. Excellent choice for your requirement.

In my case, i would be driving the car, and most of the time, i would be alone or with just one passenger on my side, it was the best driver's car in the budget i was looking for. If Ford had priced it better, i would have gone for the Titanium Plus which comes with Cruise Control. No savings for me
Sofa like that sofa like comfort in the front of that one too. One thing I appreciate everyday.

MAS, you do travel a lot on the highways. With the given Indian conditions, do you really think one would be able to make any practical use of the Cruise control? The only place I can imagine making any practical use of it may be for some stretches on the GQ cutting across Rajasthan. IMO it will just be a gimmicky feature for the first few drives. I tried it a bit, but was fedup within 15 minutes. Was more of a bother than a help! So maybe you should not fret over not having cruise control.

Quote:
- In 2006, I owned a Black Getz. Loved the colour, but had trouble keeping it shining and asked for too much of my time. Then, i had a big accident and the whole right of the car was ripped off by a truck. If the truck was like 2 inches inside, it would have been a different story. After that, my sentiments do not allow me to purchase a darker shade.
Intelligent thought process mate. Even a fraction of a difference in being noticed by another driver can make ample difference. Logically, one should go for colours which would stand out against the background (Black, Grey are logically a no-no).

Quote:
Thanks Mustang. The dealer says it is not available for the NFF, but for the Fiesta Classic. Seems like "haggling" the dealer will begin early.
Seem some things aren't clearly spelt out by the company to please the dealers. They know the customers will haggle anyway, so it becomes a negotiating point.

Quote:
Yes, , "Finally ;-)" (taken from your VVS thread) decided to go in for the NFF.
That is precisely what I meant

Quote:
I had a lot of information from your thread and this is the first time my purchase has gone through so much research. Will discuss the Magnum stuff in the VVS thread.
Me too. Me too! Never gave as much thought and did as much research for buying a car. But I think I am reaping the benifits now. You are welcome to share on the VVS thread mate (or rather, shall we call it the Finally! thread- a bit like the Driven! thread)

Quote:
In the NFF, the seat height adjustment works well, unlike in some other cars where it is just "Naam ke vaaste". The difference in height is so much that at the lowest position, the seat was too low even for my height.
Did you too notice a change in the angle of the pan of the seat when you adjusted the height. That change had made it uncomfortable for me. Wasn't particularly comfortable in the seat.

I also had minor issues with the line of the top of the windshield. Was a bit too much in the line of sight. How did you feel about it?
Quote:
Will start a new thread once i get the car. I guess September and October would fly past quickly with successive travel plans. Fingers crossed till i lay my hands on the NFF.
Does that mean we'll see your thread only in November?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post

But as soon as the road leveled out and then moved onto a slight uphill, the peppiness was simply not there. Overtaking, at around 80-90 kmph, required a lot of effort, as if the engine is struggling hard. It only felt a little better than my WagonR . Then we took a brief diversion onto a potholed road. The suspension seemed tuned well – above, say 40kmph, the ride was more or less smooth. Then there was this massive hump in the middle of the road. Tried going over it in 2nd gear – the engine stopped. Restarted the engine. Seemed like some Herculean effort for the car to cross the obstacle. The sales executive sitting next to me didn’t even try to offer an explanation ! This car definitely deserved a more powerful engine.
------------
2. Cooling is very effective. However, the blower is quite noisy. Almost unusable beyond level 3 (and we talk of benchmark NVH levels). Me and wife both had a strange experience regarding the blower(?) - we felt a sort of compression / airlocking in our ears. Had to roll down the windows and then it felt better.
Thanks for sharing the experience mate. Seems the major issue you had was with the lack of power from the car (besides the price). It really undermines a car which is otherwise quite good and may have the right compromises for many.

About the engine stopping - could it be due to not being used to the car. It seems to happen to the best of us. Crossing a hump should not be a challenge for any car. Or maybe the TD car wasn't in good shape.

About the blower being loud - It seems to be there in many cars. Only 1 or 2 seem to be silent enough. Level 3 and 4 seem to be with the idea that one may not mind the noise for quicker cooling (in the rear) and that blast of air.

Wonder what cars you are considering now.

Last edited by Poitive : 29th August 2011 at 16:45.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:06   #1134
BHPian

I am back after a short family vacation to Goa.

My car is somewhere on the way from the plant to Delhi. It was billed from the plant on 27th August. Tentative date of delivery is around 7th September, 2011.

Many thanks to all fellow t-bhpians whose valuable suggestions helped me to take up further discussions with Harpreet Ford while I ran out of patience.

Although the inside fit and finish require a lot of finesse, I am looking forward to the arrival of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Saw one on the road for the first time today.
in white, on the G'gaon expressway.
Titanium+.

Am partially a fiesta fanboy, but this car desperately needs a face....er...bum-lift.
Desperately!
love it from every other angle, but that head-on rear view is just not doing things.

The guy in the car seemed absolutely content, though!
That's the only Titanium+ delivered in NCR till date.

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th August 2011 at 15:38. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 30th August 2011, 06:44   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta

That's the only Titanium+ delivered in NCR till date.
I wonder about that. When I went for my TD several weeks ago, they had 3-4 Titanium+ vehicles standing around at Harpreet Ford Gurgaon. I even sat in a couple trying to get my phone's bluetooth to connect (I think the issue was due to it being dual SIM). Surely not all were TD cars?
Old 30th August 2011, 18:33   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I wonder about that. When I went for my TD several weeks ago, they had 3-4 Titanium+ vehicles standing around at Harpreet Ford Gurgaon. I even sat in a couple trying to get my phone's bluetooth to connect (I think the issue was due to it being dual SIM). Surely not all were TD cars?

Those were the ones used for the media interactions. I guess they were all kinetic blue.

If there had been vehicles available for delivery, I would have already got mine by now.

NCR Ford also had a white Titanium+ for ready sale.
Astro Ford quoted a waiting time of 6 weeks.
Delhi Ford did not know when they could deliver a Titanium+.
Ridhi Ford, a new dealership is planning to open on Mathura Road, is not operational as of now.
Old 30th August 2011, 18:41   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
I am looking forward to the arrival of the car.
Hey Sugeeta, lets hope this time, they deliver you the car on schedule. We too are anxiously waiting for more reports on the New Fiesta.

btw, please take some time, to write an elaborate report of the car, with some detailed reports. I'm sure many would appreciate it, as much as I do.

Tnx!
Old 30th August 2011, 19:04   #1138
BHPian

After 3 Fords -Ikon 1.8D ZXI, Fiesta 1.4D SXI and Figo 1.4D Titanium, I still love the handling of the vehicles. The brakes on the Ikon were below par, the Fiesta a little flimsy but the Figo is good overall.

The only grouse is with the Ford Motor Co which consistently runs down the value of the car by overpricing, then slashing prices and then creating a low cost model thereby ensuring that a Ford owner gets the worst resale price and that too courtesy Ford.

Thus I chose a Vento to replace the Fiesta. Still have the Figo.
Old 31st August 2011, 01:53   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
I am back after a short family vacation to Goa.

My car is somewhere on the way from the plant to Delhi. It was billed from the plant on 27th August. Tentative date of delivery is around 7th September, 2011.
That's great news Sugeeta! Hope you do indeed get your car on 7th or before. Have you ordered any accessories for your car?
Old 31st August 2011, 03:21   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NCR Ford also had a white Titanium+ for ready sale.
Astro Ford quoted a waiting time of 6 weeks.
Delhi Ford did not know when they could deliver a Titanium+.
Ridhi Ford, a new dealership is planning to open on Mathura Road, is not operational as of now.
Now, just having this information above talks of the effort you have had to make. Poor show by Ford for making a new car owner go through this. Especially when one expects to be pampered.

Quote:
Ah! That sure is good news. Congrats Sugeeta! Hope your experience with the car is a lot better than that of getting the car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks