Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 15:18   #2146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Point taken, maybe I should have put my question a bit better . What I am really trying to ask is what other members check and do before a long drive (10-12 hours)?

In this context, it would also help to know if it is worth filling tyres with nitrogen before such a long drive, from the point of view of safety.

Thanks, got a bottle of Waxpol from a friendly spares shop this morning. The recommendation was to use 100ml of the same, with tap water to fill the windscreen reservoir. Is it ok to use tap water for this purpose? I hope I wont cause some long term damage because of using the hard water.

Thanks mate, really looking forward to my first proper long drive from Pune to Goa in October, cant wait , will try to do my first travelogue then. (I am not a great narrator!)

On a separate note, my Jetta has started showing "Oil change in x days" message on starting up, I guess it must be time for my 6-month checkup? Do they charge anything for topping up whatever needs topping up etc? How can I ensure I do not get ripped off?

Surely filling nitrogen will help you get a slightly better FE and a more smoother ride if you intend the travel longer hours with full load. You should also ensure you load the fuel from a better pump in and around Pune. I also have been doing the underbody checks with my SA regularly before/after long drives to ensure any damages are understood beforehand owing to low GC. I am based out at Pune, so can confirm that it does matter where you do that. Best bet is Shell. Also have been doing wheel alignment, rotation and balancing every 5k. My Jetta highline AT is now around 18 months older but 47k run. Most of it has been accumulated by the long road trips to north/south india and Goa has been quite often for us. BU Bhandari guys here in Pune have been really supportive. Except for the front brake pads changes at 39k rest all is going intact. Rear brake pads should be inline by next 10k. Brake pads indicator come very late as advised by my service advisor, so as per the indian road conditions it's wise to do a bit earlier unless your driving style is very sedate and passive. Hope this is helpful for you..
Old 20th October 2015, 17:13   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I booked a Jetta CL diesel - now making a list of stuff i need to do as soon as i pick it up.

1. Change Shoes from NCT5 - Confused between Pirelli P7 & Michelin P3ST - mostly city driving but long highway drives as well. Would prefer quiet & dependable over pure performance. Suggestions ?

2. Upgrade HU - Exploring RCD510 - either source from Aliexpress or locally. If it doesnt work out - then maybe Dynavin. Comments ?

3. Dealer is offering free Teflon coating - should i go for it or get a 3M paint protection treatment done outside ?

4. How do i add an amplifier and a sub - from my Cedia ?

Anything else i am missing ?
Old 20th October 2015, 17:35   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ethanhunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I booked a Jetta CL diesel - now making a list of stuff i need to do as soon as i pick it up.

1. Change Shoes from NCT5 - Confused between Pirelli P7 & Michelin P3ST - mostly city driving but long highway drives as well. Would prefer quiet & dependable over pure performance. Suggestions ?
Michelin is here as a Manufacturer and Pirelli operates through an importer/distributor.

Quote:
3. Dealer is offering free Teflon coating - should i go for it or get a 3M paint protection treatment done outside ?
Teflon coating is utterly useless. Get that money in cash discount or something useful like carpet mats, bootmat, trunk organiser etc OR best, as part payment towards the RCD510.

Quote:
4. How do i add an amplifier and a sub - from my Cedia ?
By using the services of an experienced installer. There is one in B'lore (I do not recall their name) and then there are Sarvanna/Powerzone and Haresh Jethwani/Chandru Auto Stores in Madras. They know their way around the Germans and the Molex connectors etc will remain functional.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st October 2015 at 16:12. Reason: Please avoid quoting and responding inline = inconvenience to quote and respond to such a post. Post edited.
Old 20th October 2015, 18:11   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upgrade HU - Exploring RCD510 - either source from Aliexpress or locally. If it doesnt work out - then maybe Dynavin. Comments ?
There are much better, consolidated units other than RCD510 for the price you pay for RCD510. The MKV comfortline came with RCD510 and i can say its one of the best because it came has default. If it didnt i dont know if i want to spend on the RCD510 which has many short comings to other units available in the market. Research and take a decision which includes option for BT, Video, camera and what not.

Quote:
How do i add an amplifier and a sub - from my Cedia ?
Its a risk as well as no risk scenario. Knowing these crazy nut german manufacturers, worst case something goes wrong due to electricals, they will feel no shame to blame it on your after market mod and not on the real issue.

Just be careful as long as you are under warranty. Post warranty you can forget about VW service and find better and cheaper service anywhere. In chennai i know a very reliable service person. I am out of warranty and i am sure i will get everything done from him.

My AC/Drier/set up is finally changed and i got a good will though i am out of warranty at the beginning of the year. Didnt have to pay a L to fix them but got a good deal and i am leaving a great feedback for VW to honor it.

Quote:
I had given my car for servicing at the Sewri place last week. The service went allright and there was no problem as such. However, only day before when I tried, I realized the front passenger side door is not opening. Neither from inside nor from outside.
The door is pretty easy to open. Though there is an actuator used, sometimes there is a spring that latches on may become lose. If you are a DIY person, you can remove the black door trim slowly and check if the spring is not properly latched on to the handle. That may actually fix the issue. Its not difficult and there are number of youtube videos.

Worst case, you can order the spare and fix it yourself. It will take your saturday, but i usually feel well spent on those days
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:23   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
There are much better, consolidated units other than RCD510 for the price you pay for RCD510. The MKV comfortline came with RCD510 and i can say its one of the best because it came has default. If it didnt i dont know if i want to spend on the RCD510 which has many short comings to other units available in the market. Research and take a decision which includes option for BT, Video, camera and what not.
Apart from Dynavin - anything else you have in mind ? Blau 835 doesnt feel like a premium unit to me.
Old 21st October 2015, 10:48   #2151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apart from Dynavin - anything else you have in mind ? Blau 835 doesnt feel like a premium unit to me.
Check out FrankMehta's Polo GTI thread. He has used an android HU which looks good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3773216

Even I have to decide between the RCD510 + 9W7 combination which would be a perfect OEM integration, and the android HU which would give more features.
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:42   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Is there anyway to check the battery charge on Jetta's MFD? My service centre just does not want to accept that the battery is about to fail and aren't even providing any proof about the battery's health. I guess they will replace it only when the battery is completely dead.
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:52   #2153
Senior - BHPian

@Tanveer,

Are you expecting a change in warranty? If not why cant you just tell them to change it?

Why do you think battery is weak?

You just need a voltmeter and test the charge in different state. One while the car is running(on load) and one while its stationary.

(Just check this thread - http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Car-Battery)
Old 23rd October 2015, 20:43   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Tanveer,

Are you expecting a change in warranty? If not why cant you just tell them to change it?

Why do you think battery is weak?

You just need a voltmeter and test the charge in different state. One while the car is running(on load) and one while its stationary.

(Just check this thread - http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Car-Battery)

Yes expecting them to change it underwarranty, the car is just about 15months old.

While starting the car all the interior lights fluctuate a lot, Which shouldnt happen before.

Ill try and arrange a voltmeter and see what happens, The Service center is simply refusing saying the battery is absolutely fine.

But before this i hope i get the car back from the Air bag error issue which the service center is not able to fix past 1month!
Old 24th October 2015, 08:40   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10...-or-even-less/

[Android Car Review] The 2016 Volkswagen Jetta Is A Great Way To Get Android Auto For Just $21,000 (Or Even Less)

A different take on the Jetta!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 20:27   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to retrofit the new HeadUnits coming in Jetta in US/UK which support Android Auto & Car Link to 2015 Jetta sold in India ?
Old 26th October 2015, 11:23   #2157
BHPian

Quote:

Its a risk as well as no risk scenario. Knowing these crazy nut german manufacturers, worst case something goes wrong due to electricals, they will feel no shame to blame it on your after market mod and not on the real issue.

Just be careful as long as you are under warranty. Post warranty you can forget about VW service and find better and cheaper service anywhere. In chennai i know a very reliable service person. I am out of warranty and i am sure i will get everything done from him.

My AC/Drier/set up is finally changed and i got a good will though i am out of warranty at the beginning of the year. Didnt have to pay a L to fix them but got a good deal and i am leaving a great feedback for VW to honor it.

The door is pretty easy to open. Though there is an actuator used, sometimes there is a spring that latches on may become lose. If you are a DIY person, you can remove the black door trim slowly and check if the spring is not properly latched on to the handle. That may actually fix the issue. Its not difficult and there are number of Youtube videos.

Worst case, you can order the spare and fix it yourself. It will take your saturday, but i usually feel well spent on those days
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
hi, need some help from you guys.
I had given my car for servicing at the Sewri place last week. The service went allright and there was no problem as such. However, only day before when I tried, I realized the front passenger side door is not opening. Neither from inside nor from outside. The handles on both sides are just free - no clicking or anything.
I spoke with the SS guys and they said they are blocked till day after and I should show it to them on Wednesday before they can tell anything.
Any of you guys have had a similar problem? Or any idea why this could happen, and what could be the possible solution. Just want to be better prepared before the SS guys throw some gyan on me a slap me a hefty bill

Thanks
Thank you all for the advice. Finally it turned out to be just the lock stuck in one position which was not letting the door open from either side.
Took the car to Balaji Motors on Juhu Versova link road. He is authorized by Bosch for car servicing. Fairly good experience. Costed me about 1200 bucks and about 3-4 hours.
Old 29th October 2015, 14:17   #2158
BHPian

And now I hear this.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49579582.cms

Are they going to tweak my engine. Guys, is anybody worried or keeping fingers crossed or is it only me?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st October 2015 at 09:32. Reason: Removing [COLOR] tags - please post on TBHP directly instead of copy-pasting from a word processor. Thanks!
Old 29th October 2015, 16:41   #2159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
..and now I hear this.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49579582.cms

Are they going to tweak my engine. Guys, is anybody worried or keeping fingers crossed or is it only me?
If the fix involves reducing the power and torque numbers, then I would be worried too A little hit on fuel economy would be ok, but reduction in power is a big NO. Fingers crossed!
Old 29th October 2015, 17:03   #2160
Senior - BHPian

As one of the criteria for buying the car is power, any reduction can warrant customers to take vw to court?

This will get serious. A lot depends on how customers react worldwide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks