Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 13:15   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply buddy. Will check out for good speakers and will install them if I go for Comfortline. And regarding the headlights, I need more help on them as I will be needing to replace them for my Vento as well. I don't want to tinker much with the wiring so would like same specs with a brighter avatar.
No need to tinker with wiring - Philips Xtreme Vision / Osram are bulbs with same wattage - just remove the stock bulbs and install these like you would if your stock bulbs fused.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 13:18   #2282
BHPian

My Jetta mk6 doesn't have the anti-theft wheel nut - my Octy vRS mk1 used to have an anti-theft bolt that needs a special tool to remove...

I'm scared to park my Jetta overnight on the streets, sigh!
Old 30th December 2015, 13:40   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Airwind just YouTube how to remove anti theft nut. Don't worry. The additional security is more like a placebo effect only.

If someone decides to steal your wheels they will climb your compound if that is required.
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:34   #2284
BHPian

Guys. Wish you all a great year ahead. Need some help.
Just back from a beautiful trip across chikmangalore, bhadra reserve, kasargod, sringeri and back to bangalore. Even achieved a 27.5kmpl on a 60km stretch with full AC and 70-80 kmph on 6th stick. Amazing handling in ghat section and always in control. I love TDI.
..and here something happened...The Ertiga in front saw a snake and braked from 80 to zero in 2 secs. I braked with my full capacity though couldn't help smooching his back. Ertiga back bumper dented badly along with broken bottom indicators. Jetta's front number plate got dented and one front sensor vanished. Beside this I couldn't find any other impact.
An EON who was tailing me also came and rammed Jetta's back. Jetta's bumper just above the exhaust is little bursted as shown in the pic. EON lost its radiator and probably some other engine components too. Said Sorry to both parties though I am the one who was sandwiched and drove away. Both Ertiga and EON were in tears and couldnt move as they were still assessing their impact.
Now, in bangalore, called Lombard and registered a claim. They say they will send some guy from OM SAI Motors, Marathahalli as they are registered with them.
Now, I need some advice on whether I should go for the insurance claim (An initial estimate on phone from Mysore VW dealer penned it at around 70K total).
* Is it worth going for the repair for 70K and claim insurance to loose a NCB of 45%?
*Does it look so bad that I cant live with it?
*Is OM SAI Motors an option or shall I insist on VW dealer for repairs?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20151229_100931054_top.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20160102_194624371.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20160102_194552666.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2016, 00:08   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
*Does it look so bad that I cant live with it?
Sorry to hear about the accident. But I would suggest to just live with it. Doesn't look too bad.

These things looks very bad to begin with. But once you get the minor dents removed and a bit of rubbing compound and maybe a coat of polish, it will start looking a lot better.

All the best.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 05:37   #2286
Senior - BHPian

70k or insurance is actually not worth for the damage we see here. If the bumper is not broken carry the battle scar as a nice little trophy.

The front plates you can replace on your own. The rear bumper may need those plastic hammer to put them in place.

Otherwise there is always team bhp sticker to cover it artistically.

My car has so much scars now that I tend to ignore . I didn't even drive for 2 years yet the damage is something I will live with
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 07:03   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
* Is it worth going for the repair for 70K and claim insurance to loose a NCB of 45%?
What is the insurance premium with and without the NCB?
do you have a zero dep policy and will the insurance company pay the full amount for plastic/glass parts? Get a quote from insurance company and then take a call.
If NCB savings is not significant (forget %age just look at absolute amount) then you should claim insurance.
If you are not looking to sell this car and buy a new one for 2-3-5 years, you can always build the NCB back to 45%

My suggestion is to look at the numbers and then take a call. You buy insurance for this very purpose... If you end up paying from your pocket to save on insurance, what's the point
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 08:10   #2288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now, I need some advice on whether I should go for the insurance claim (An initial estimate on phone from Mysore VW dealer penned it at around 70K total).
Sorry to hear about the incident, but glad that no one was hurt.

From the photos, I don't think the repairs would come to 70K. When I had a fender bender a few months back, the cost was 85K for replacement of front bumper, fender and one alloy. Maybe the Mysore dealer did not get the actual extent of the damage and is thinking about replacing the parts. I would suggest you take it to a workshop first and have the damages evaluated. As others have suggested, with some taps with a hammer and painting, it may get as good as new for less than 10K.

Insurance is a little tricky though. It is not just losing NCB this year, but paying a higher premium for a few subsequent years as well till you reach the 45% slab. You will have to calculate how much you will be losing in the long term and compare it with the amount you pay now and then make the decision.

Once you get a proper evaluation of the damages, then you can easily make the decision on insurance.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 21:53   #2289
BHPian

I have installed crystal blue DRL LEDs ordered from aliexpress. No error for now. Also added some chrome styling to front bumper grille.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3935.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3937.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3938.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3941.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3943.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3945.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3946.jpg  

Metallicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 19:20   #2290
BHPian

Hi folks had a question, the battery of my car is unable to start the engine , can I disconnect the battery , get it checked and bring it back and connect like an indica or indigo or is something more involved
Old 14th January 2016, 19:41   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Hi folks had a question, the battery of my car is unable to start the engine , can I disconnect the battery , get it checked and bring it back and connect like an indica or indigo or is something more involved

AFAIK, Sure you can, Only thing you need to do it after you reinstall the battery is turn the steering completely to the right and left while the car is stationary, Doing this will clear your error lights on the instrument cluster.
Old 14th January 2016, 21:08   #2292
BHPian

Hi tanveer , thanks for the information. Also does the engine need to be started when turning the steering wheel , it would be quite hard to turn the wheel with the engine off in stationary condition. Does this process have to be done once only ?
Old 14th January 2016, 21:13   #2293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi tanveer , thanks for the information. Also does the engine need to be started when turning the steering wheel , it would be quite hard to turn the wheel with the engine off in stationary condition. Does this process have to be done once only ?
Once you reconnect the battery, You will probably have a ESP and ABS error light on the instrument cluster, So just to clear those lights, Start the engine, Turn the steering to the right completely and then left completely, The lights should go off and your good to go! It has to be done just once.
Old 14th January 2016, 23:27   #2294
BHPian

Tanveer one more thing on the battery , will a din 65 work amaron or exide ?
Old 15th January 2016, 00:11   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tanveer one more thing on the battery , will a din 65 work amaron or exide ?
http://www.batterybhai.com/battery-l...1/228/1/1.html

There you go, If your getting a new one, Just go get it, Since you'll have the warranty anyways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks