Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:01   #2311
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

PLease feel free to delete if inappropriate or in the wrong group. My Jetta was parked for a week and yesterday while driving back from work threw up 3 erroes - yellow check engine, Parking sensor stopped working and Ac recirculation would not come on. All else was fine.
Checked battery voltage, was steady at 13.7V. Gave it for a check at Autobhan kurla. 9 wires in all were cut by rats they claim. 7 for sensors, 1 for the ac and 1 for the power windows.
estimate is 18K! 1k each for the wire, 300 for each connector ( 2 per wire) and labor!
Seriously?
***. Have no choice though, since my experience with thane is as bad.
:(
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:16   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Hey Relax

Rat bites are normal. I am not sure of these estimates though but 18 k seems right for the number of areas the damage is. Air con could be because of the o2 sensor right below the front grill. It's an easy fix but since the entire electronics work by voltage you cannot simply cut and rewire but need to solder to spec. Have done that myself twice.Next areas where the damage will show up later if rats did reach there are fuel line related wires, abs related wires and more.

Look at fine prints of your insurance where there could be coverage for these rat bites. Secondly this is going to happen more often than less often.

You need to find a longer solution. Check the rat thread. For me soxed tobacco worked for five years. Last one year we just have two cats, 19 rat kills, 5 bandicoot kills and a clean rat free, rat poop free environment. Cats are must when you own a car.

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd January 2016 at 18:40.
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:29   #2313
BHPian

after the initial shock of the estimate, have calmed down now . The car has been parked in the same spot for 5 years now with no incidents. Bad luck I guess. Will try the tobacco, thank you.
Old 28th January 2016, 12:14   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
friends, does the 2016 Jetta highline DSG comes with the "Auto hold" feature. This allows the driver to remove the leg from the brake and the car stays still till the accelerator is pressed. It is there in Passat. This is a real comfortable feature. I am considering a Jetta after my Passat got damaged in floods.
My experience, YES jetta has a hill-hold feature, no separate button though. I asked this during delivery of my manual trendline jetta. The way it works is bit hard to explain. You apply brakes on incline to stop completely, when you want to move forward, you take the foot off the brake, The car doesn't roll back, the hill hold is activated for 3-4 seconds (the car doesnt move for about 3 seconds at all), in which you have to press the accelerator pedal and release the clutch. Something (ESP) senses that the car has stopped on incline and keep the brakes applied.

Trust me, it works every single time, and it times i forget this feature and press the accelerator quickly enough just to realize it doesn't move and it has hill hold feature.

I have to try if this works on decline as well
Old 28th January 2016, 12:58   #2315
BHPian

Nope, I dont think it works on declines, but its an absolutely superb feature to have on inclines, specially when coming out of the basements.
Old 28th January 2016, 15:23   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
PLease feel free to delete if inappropriate or in the wrong group. My Jetta was parked for a week and yesterday while driving back from work threw up 3 erroes - yellow check engine, Parking sensor stopped working and Ac recirculation would not come on. All else was fine.
Checked battery voltage, was steady at 13.7V. Gave it for a check at Autobhan kurla. 9 wires in all were cut by rats they claim. 7 for sensors, 1 for the ac and 1 for the power windows.
estimate is 18K! 1k each for the wire, 300 for each connector ( 2 per wire) and labor!
Seriously?
***. Have no choice though, since my experience with thane is as bad.
:(
My new car took rat bites ~9 months back, they chewed up their way to ABS wires - 35 grand damage as I didn't have this specific insurance cover

Had to get it fully rectified at the VW Service Center not to risk the warranty. Touch wood, car came back as good as new.

Thank god, there are a few cats in my neighborhood - I love them these days
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:25   #2317
BHPian

These new features which they keep adding to the Vento and the Polo?
Will it ever be possible that the Trendline Diesel of the Jetta gets all these features as well?
Old 3rd February 2016, 14:48   #2318
BHPian

Guys I need to change two of my tires. I am getting a quote for Michelin 3ST for 9200 whereas 7K something for Pirelli's. I know Michelin is the best but does it warrant extra 2k per tyre ? Really confused here.
Old 3rd February 2016, 15:17   #2319
Senior - BHPian

Does the Jetta warrant the extra spend over the Skoda Octavia? Ponder & you will have your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Guys I need to change two of my tires. I am getting a quote for Michelin 3ST for 9200 whereas 7K something for Pirelli's. I know Michelin is the best but does it warrant extra 2k per tyre ? Really confused here.
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:39   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jetta being a fast car and good gripping tyres are necessary. It can be a bad idea to replace only 2 tyres. That too, if the older tyres are OEM NCT5's.

Pirelli's side wall is soft. Michelin P3st is supposed to be designed for rough roads. IMHO, choice can depend on the usage and not only on pricing.

All the best!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:56   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Jetta being a fast car and good gripping tyres are necessary. It can be a bad idea to replace only 2 tyres. That too, if the older tyres are OEM NCT5's.

All the best!
Usage demands Michelins I guess. Previous owner didn't rotate tyres at all. Now 2 have considerable tread depth left. Other 2 had some tread but one of them bulged while on a trip. I put in the spare tire for now. That is why looking for two.
Old 3rd February 2016, 18:10   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Usage demands Michelins I guess. Previous owner didn't rotate tyres at all. Now 2 have considerable tread depth left. Other 2 had some tread but one of them bulged while on a trip. I put in the spare tire for now. That is why looking for two.
How old are the tyres? If they are more than 2 years old OR have run more than 20,000 Kms, IMHO, it is better to replace all four. Particularly so, as the tyre wear is not uniform and (assuming) they are OEM NCT5's.

Performance of the car will be far superior with all four tyres replaced. I am sure you will not repent once you start driving the car.

All the best!
Old 3rd February 2016, 18:15   #2323
Senior - BHPian

I went with continental. They cost slightly higher than Michelin but is far grippier that the stock. Only someone who has used all three brands cam provide proper review.

I changed after 5 years though as I was out of country for two years.

Now going to change rims. Stock rims are ridiculously costly. At that price I am thinking of going after OZ rims. Mom and other brands are next choice.

Make sure rims are fine as well. At highways if you feel jitters check them for bend.
Old 3rd February 2016, 18:16   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
How old are the tyres? If they are more than 2 years old OR have run more than 20,000 Kms, IMHO, it is better to replace all four. Particularly so, as the tyre wear is not uniform and (assuming) they are OEM NCT5's.

Performance of the car will be far superior with all four tyres replaced. I am sure you will not repent once you start driving the car.

All the best!
Spot on chetan. I was in same situation for my GETZ and decided to replace all 4 with michelin XM2 and my god, car really drives super smooth, silent and planted at all speeds. Though the car is 6 years old, i decided to invest in good tyres, just as a trial before i change in my jetta. Now michelin P3ST is the only choice i believe.
Old 3rd February 2016, 20:50   #2325
BHPian

Well they have done 38k. But after seeing the tread depth I am bit less inclined towards on changing 2 of them. Its still very deep.

I changed Good Years to Michelin in my Brio and I agree there is too much difference. Will go for Michelin only but have to see 2 vs all 4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks