Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 16:31   #2236
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
do we need to run in German cars. I didn't - and VW says too that you don't need to run in their cars.

Run in a typical Jap-Korean phenomenon.
Apart from the brakes that take time to bed in, running in be damned. Just be sure to idle after starting and before turning off. Never rev the cold engine. Thats all I follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
Chennai flood impact - I had to take my car through my water logged basement to the surface. At the deepest level, the water was probably 15-18 inches deep.
Everything was fine and drove the car to a dry place and parked the car. Next morning, I find the car fully dead - even the doors had to opened manually. One of my neighbours mentioned that there was some motor running sound coming from the car through the night.

Before calling the Insurance or VW Service folks, not sure if I should try and jump start. Any thoughts?
Sheer stupidity to start the car. There is water and you're putting in more current. I hope you have consequential damage cover, I have a feeling you'll need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
hi guys

One question.

I have no idea about these two and the difference in amount is not the concern, but rather - which is the better one? dynavin or blaupunkt?
Neither, both are crappy. RCD510 or this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...lo-gt-tsi.html
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 01:20   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi guys

One question.

Booked a CL Jetta a couple of weeks ago and I might get it in Jan Ist week.

I want to change that stock RCD 320 with something with navigation and reverse camera. The dealer at KTC VW quoted some 65k for blaupunkt philadelphia, along with 2 rear speakers (which does not come with CL - god knows why!) and reverse camera.

but the Vagtune guys here told me that they could give me a dynavin HU, with oem speakers and rearcamera for around 62 K. they also said something about extra wiring needed for rear speakers in case I go for blaupunkt speakers in the rear; and since dynavin is oem, it has connectors or something - which frankly I didnt understand a bit :(

I have no idea about these two and the difference in amount is not the concern, but rather - which is the better one? dynavin or blaupunkt?
Avoid both, RCD 510 Looks really premium and you can get one cheaply, but lacks the input for rear camera (Bosch) and Navigation both, You can try getting a RNS 510 which supports both camera and has navigation too, Mostly it all depends on your budget.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 01:55   #2238
Senior - BHPian

I am with Tanveer. The RCD510 is very good and with an additional hardware like below

http://car-solutions.com/en/car-vide...th-rcd-510.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-RCD51...-/231491915661

Can also make it use the screen for various other functions including DVD player and rear camera.

At the same time, the RNS510 is much better in consolidation and fits as such.

One is manufactured by Blaupunkt and the other by Siemens (RNS)
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 06:30   #2239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As many have pointed out already, both Dynavin and Philadelphia are not good options. I can think about three options.

Delphi RCD510 + 9W7 bluetooth module + reverse camera: You can get this for about $375. This will give you reverse camera and bluetooth function. Check out Gannu's below thread for installation details. If you are not particular about some bluetooth related information available on the instrument cluster, you could also go with 9W2 bluetooth module which will bring down the cost to around $250.

RCD510 Installation

RNS510 + 9W7 bluetooth module + reverse camera: This setup will give you bluetooth, reverse camera and navigation. I am not sure about the cost. I see new ones are costing north of $1500 in ebay.

Android HU + reverse camera: This will cost you about $350. This gives bluetooth, reverse camera and navigation. As this is Android based, you can choose any navigation app of your choice. Of late many TBHP'ians have installed this in their Polos and Ventos. This will fit the Jetta as well. Check out my thread below for installation details.

Android HU Installation

Of the three, the first two would give you OE look, and the third gives you VFM.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 08:41   #2240
BHPian

Guys, RNS 510 is the best of the lot but I see 2 members have already said that it gives navigation. It does have Navigation but VW has not yet come up with India maps. So you could have RNS 510 for everything else that it is great at but please don't be misguided that it will have navigation function if you are going to use the system in India. And it does not accept any other after market Indian maps.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 08:47   #2241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
RCD 510 Looks really premium and you can get one cheaply, but lacks the input for rear camera (Bosch)
There is a Bosch unit which has reverse camera support. Part number is 5K0 035 190A. Some cars sold overseas provide this unit as standard.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-1.png

eBay

The model without the reverse camera support bears the part number 5K0 035 190B.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-2013022519_ca26a73cef4304462d137nuyfsunjzaz.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 09:07   #2242
BHPian

BOSCH RCD510 unit with revering camera support retails for 350 USD and above. It is a very good unit as everyone has pointed out. One without Reversing is 100$ less.

I wouls suggest against the Delphi unit on cars like Jetta and above, as on my Passat it did not support the soundstage that the 10 speakers on my car were capable of. It is excellent for Polo and Vento with 4 speakers.
The unit and the RCD310 that I had before offer very immersive surround sound experience that was lacking in the Delphi.

All the 10 speakers worked but it was like they are all independent and producing whatever sound they can. With Bosch, I feel they work together beautifully.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 09:25   #2243
BHPian

thanks guys!

anyway, I shall go and check with vagtunes here in cochin and let me see whether they could source this bosch unit both gannu and crazy-bean mentioned. HU DIY is pretty much out of my technical forte, so I would definitely need some professional help.

will keep updated.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:23   #2244
BHPian

I have used the RCD 510 Bosch as well as Delphi and I would rate Dynavin above them both. Plus, they are going to have Iphone and Android car software in the near future. That should be quite helpful as well.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:38   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Apart from the brakes that take time to bed in, running in be damned. Just be sure to idle after starting and before turning off. Never rev the cold engine. Thats all I follow.

Sheer stupidity to start the car. There is water and you're putting in more current. I hope you have consequential damage cover, I have a feeling you'll need it.

Neither, both are crappy. RCD510 or this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...lo-gt-tsi.html
VW Jetta manuals says that you shouldn't idle the car after a cold start. Take it for a drive as soon as possible as it helps in reaching operating temperatures faster and making the whole system more efficient. Yeah regarding idling after a drive it does ask to idle in case you have been on a very long drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th December 2015 at 13:20. Reason: Strictly no sales on the forum. Use the classifieds section. Thanks!
Old 17th December 2015, 19:50   #2246
BHPian

So my jetta has landed.

The bosch unit is not in stock at vagtunes, they need to get that from poland - along with a bluetooth module which costs around 25k. The rear speakers and tweeter are from Focal.

Anyway, i am out of india for a couple of weeks, would take delivery only in jan first week only. By that time, the HU may also come.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_0297.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_0298.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_0300.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_0302.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_0301.jpg  

nevinfrancis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 07:15   #2247
BHPian

How do I see the average speed ? I think it is showing average speed according to the trip meter 2 where as I want it for the trip meter 1.

Also it seems to be showing the average consumption for trip meter 1 but the trip meter 1 is getting reset when I restart the car the next day. I am bit confused. Can it calculate readings according to 3 meters ?

Last edited by Metallicar : 18th December 2015 at 07:30.
Old 18th December 2015, 07:25   #2248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
How do I see the average speed ? I think it is showing average speed according to the trip meter 2 where as I want it for the trip meter 1.

Also it seems to be showing the average consumption for trip meter 1 but the trip meter 1 is getting reset when I restart the car the next day. I am bit confused. Can it calculate readings according to 3 meters ?
Pressing the "OK" button on the steering wheel will toggle between trip 1 and trip 2. Long press the OK button to reset the trip meter that is being displayed.

Trip meter 1 is short term. It resets itself after about 2 or 3 hours of the car being turned off. Trip meter 2 is long term. It does not reset until you manually reset it.

I did not understand your question "Can it calculate readings according to 3 meters". Can you elaborate?

Last edited by graaja : 18th December 2015 at 07:46. Reason: Adding more information
Old 18th December 2015, 08:22   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
So my jetta has landed.

The bosch unit is not in stock at vagtunes, they need to get that from poland - along with a bluetooth module which costs around 25k. The rear speakers and tweeter are from Focal.

Anyway, i am out of india for a couple of weeks, would take delivery only in jan first week only. By that time, the HU may also come.
That is a wise decision. To be frank, after using all those aftermarket units, IMO, none of those are bug free and the best is to stick to the OE HUs. The whole kit with back up cam and BT will be a bit expensive for what you get but you won't repent it. My advise is not to add any media box because even that does not perform up to mark.

Once you have BT kit, you could use Nav on your smart phone and have the voice guidance on your car's audio system anyways. Video play back is what would be missing. Even with video and Nav on screen missing, I would still opt for the OE setup. With focals, sound quality would be good too. Overall, looks to me like a clean setup which the car deserves.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 10:10   #2250
BHPian

- ajay, that's what I primarily want - a clean and non-quirky OEM set up.

am no fan of video playback in HU afterall. Don't have any particular reason what so ever, I consider it as a nuisance rather, while driving.

the only gripe is navigation, but as you suggested my phone would suffice in most cases.
nevinfrancis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks