Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2017, 14:14   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
One thing I observed when I started the car was the engine does not rev beyond 2500 rpm. Is this normal?

Also after it revs to 2500 rpm and comes back to idling rpm at around 2000 to 1000 rpm range there is a light "krrr" sound which comes from the engine bay[I remember similar sound from my Shogun years back and the mechanic used to say its pistion rings sound ] I know its tough to troubleshoot here but if this is something common with Jetta then its fine.
Pretty much normal. The engine will not red line and in Neutral what you are seeing is standard behavior. Turn off the ESP/ASR to check if it can go above 2500. It could also be due to ESP on. Depressing clutch may increase the RPM but i have not tried it. You are good here.

Where i will worry is too much smoke, very poor RPM response even in gears which could be clogged cat or injector or something else.

Last edited by VW2010 : 14th October 2017 at 14:15.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 21:49   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Re: ESP & Steering Wheel Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I got the car towed on Saturday to Elite Motors and it was inspected today by the SA.

As suspected by some of you - its wire damage due to rat bite hence not covered by warranty SA has quoted roughly 4k for wire replacement - does it look ok ?
Got my car back yesterday. Total bill was quite reasonable. Second Service + Wire replacement due to rat cut came up to roughly 17.7K.

I also ponied up for 2yr extension for RSA - currently VW is running a offer so i got it for 3.6k odd.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 12:39   #3018
BHPian

Hello folks,

I just became a victim of incompetent ASS of VAG. Pardon me for a long post.

Ahmedabad has two VW dealers - VW Automark & VW Karnavati. I usually get all ASS jobs done at VW Automark & I was happy with it however I thought about giving VW Karnavati a chance to experience what they have to offer (Note to self: if it ain't broken, don't fix it.)

So I decided to award VW Karnavati a small job of Suspension greasing a few months back. The odo was around 46k at that time. I wanted to do get it done during the third service (44k) at VW Automark but acquainted SA told me that I can give it a pass for now.

There was also an intermittent issue of noticeable vibrations inside the cabin at idle. It was usually occurred with warm engine, no specific pattern though. So I thought I will visit VW Karnavati for a change for suspension greasing & the vibration issue.

Here's how it went:
I got an appointment visited the workshop during the second week of July. I explained SA the jobs that need to be carried out. He told that he would get the suspension greasing done however I need to pay for General checkup (~800 INR) if I want them to look into the vibration issue. I told him that the car is still under extended warranty & his response was if I had awarded them the third paid service then they would have done it for free. Since I got the car serviced at the other dealership workshop, I need to pay for it (as if the extended warranty was dealer specific!!)

I didn't find the issue worth my time to escalate & I was in hurry so I decided to let it go & asked him to skip it & just get the suspension greasing done.

I went to pickup the car in the evening. He presented me the invoice of general checkup instead of suspension greasing! I confronted him about it & he told me that GST rates are not updated in their system for labor charges of suspension greasing!! I asked him when can I get the invoice of the actual job done to which he answered approx 10-15 days. Again, I had an early morning trip waiting for me the next day so didn't have time to escalate it at that moment.
I asked him to email me once their system is 'updated' with GST rates. Called him after 20-25 days, he answered 'system still not updated'. Called him again after 5-10 days, he said that he will email me which I never received! Needless to say, the only job done on the car was 'washing'. I couldn't feel any difference in ride quality/suspension thud post the job.

I got real busy after that & couldn't escalate the issue further. A few weeks back, a close friend of mine raised a complaint on VW India FB Page against VW Surat related to ASS issues. I added a comment about my invoice blunder by VW Karnavati as well & things escalated quickly. I received calls from VW India & VW Karnavati SA. I was invited to workshop to get all the issues sorted out.

I visited the workshop & their technical head TDed the car. His conclusion was the sound was not coming from suspension but they were rattles from door!! During the testride, it rained & the bi-xenon headlight unit had little condensation (pics attached in the end) so I asked them to fix it as well. Instead of fixing it, they tried to reproduce it on another Jetta highline but they couldn't. So now, they had two tasks on their hands.
  1. Fix rattles from the door (as per the technical head's analysis)
  2. Take care of headlight condensation issue.

The car & I were kept waiting for an hour & then a mechanic started to work.
  • A guy came with a small hammer & a cloth. He put a cloth on door strike & started to mildly hammer it! He did it for all the four doors. Another TD with the technical head & service manager followed. They both were sure that there is no suspension thud & rattles have settled down as well however I didn't feel any difference. I gave up because there was no point in fighting on it if their technical head & service manager didn't acknowledge it. In hindsight, the 'settings' mechanic did with his hammer, is forcing me to apply extra force in order to close the driver side door. I have lost the count on number of time I had to reopen the door & close it!!
    Issues rectified: 0, Issues given birth to: 1
  • In order to deal with headlight condensation issue, they opened the headlight assembly & filmed the headlight units so that they can send it to VW for the claim of extended warranty. After filming both the units, they screwed & locked back the headlight units & bumper however I could a huge panel gap between the RHS headlight & the bumper. I pointed it out to the mechanic & he 'pushed' the headlight unit downwards to fill the gap! I could see the bumper was not fitted properly but it was getting really late for the mechanic & service center folks. They informed me that VW has tie up with bajaj allianz for extended warranty so I will have to drop the car for a few hours when the bajaj guy comes in for the inspection. I decided to get the bumper refitted properly during that visit. In hindsight, that push of RHS headlight is causing has decreased the reach of RHS low beam to 25-30% which is extremely annoying.
    Issues rectified: 0, Issues given birth to: 1 + 2 = 3

Regarding the invoice, service manager told me that they don't have any entry for suspension greasing inside the system (yet somehow they performed the job!!) so that they generated the invoice for general checkup. I told him that I have heard many folks have get it done with proper invoice so he asked me to share invoice for the same so that he can generate the correct invoice for me. It was getting really late so I didn't dive into the details of how they performed it.

After a few days, received the call from SA to drop the car in order to get it checked it by the bajaj guy. I got an appointment & reached on the scheduled date/time. The SA & service manager were on leave that day along with a few mechanics (Navratri time). I was appointed another SA after waiting for 30 mins! I asked him to get the door, bumper & headlight throw issue fixed. He noted them down. Received a call from their technical head that they did their standard procedure to check condensation issue in the presence of the bajaj guy & the headlight works as expected. This amount of condensation is normal & it evaporates after specific amount of time & there is nothing they can do about the condensation. I asked him to write the details of the procedure & conclusion in email so that I can contact VW regarding the same. I received a call after a few minutes that they will still try to replace it under warranty after further communicating with VW & asked me to wait for 2-3 days. The car was dropped to my residence in evening after confirmation from SA that other issues are fixed as I was busy with some other business. In hindsight, neither of the three issues created by them during the previous visit was fixed!! Also, there was no update from him regarding the headlight replacement in the next 2-3 days.

I called him after 4 days for the update & he told me that it is mentioned in the owners manual as well that it is normal. I told him that I will check it out. I couldn't find anywhere in the manual that condensation can happen & it is normal so I called him yesterday, he didn't pick up the call or called back. I will chase him further today.

My request/queries to Tbhpians
  • Is the headlight condensation in the pics below normal? Has anyone faced it? Does the owners manual say that it is normal?
    Mine is Aug 2014 manufactured DSG Highline. I think Tanveer's Jetta was from the same batch & as he lives in Mumbai where the humidity is high & it rains heavily, would really appreciate his input/experience.
  • Can anyone please share the invoice for suspension greasing?

[ATTACH]Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20160826_185507min.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20160826_185457min.jpg  

Old 27th October 2017, 13:37   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Seems a common problem. Here is one suggested solution in TDI forums

Quote:
The solution was very simple!!! Just remove the rubber seal that allows access to the bulbs (probably the same in the Golf) during a period of dry weather (low humidity) and do a couple of journeys to clear the air inside the lamp. The humidity will then disappear and then when it is dry replace the seal (and hopefully get some dry air inside the headlight).
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 14:04   #3020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post

• Is the headlight condensation in the pics below normal? Has anyone faced it? Does the owners manual say that it is normal?
    Mine is Aug 2014 manufactured DSG Highline. I think Tanveer's Jetta was from the same batch & as he lives in Mumbai where the humidity is high & it rains heavily, would really appreciate his input/experience.
  • Can anyone please share the invoice for suspension greasing?

[ATTACH]Attachment 1689645[/ATTACH]
1. Don't know about headlight condensation, but my fog lamps had condensation after we drove through a very cold afternoon with heavy rain and water splashing over them. The fogs had mist and I think even the headlamps did. Read in the owners manual and it was clearly mentioned that this can occur when driving in the rain and will clear out itself. No need to worry if there is no physical deposits of water or dirt inside.

2. Can't help you here. Suspension greasing wasn't done this time round on 45K servicing on my Jetta either. Maybe the same reason that you listed (GST) applies here.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

BTW, my service centre definitely seems to have improved in, well , services. The pick up and drop was a breeze, the new S.A was active enough to keep my dad informed of what is going on and also a feedback call was arranged.

My dealer is Volkswagen Automark, Vadodara.

P.S :My Jetta is also a Feb, 2014 MFG model, but it has halogens and is a Comfortline.

Last edited by vishy76 : 27th October 2017 at 14:06.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 14:13   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
1. Don't know about headlight condensation, but my fog lamps had condensation after we drove through a very cold afternoon with heavy rain and water splashing over them. The fogs had mist and I think even the headlamps did. Read in the owners manual and it was clearly mentioned that this can occur when driving in the rain and will clear out itself. No need to worry if there is no physical deposits of water or dirt inside.

2. Can't help you here. Suspension greasing wasn't done this time round on 45K servicing on my Jetta either. Maybe the same reason that you listed (GST) applies here.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

BTW, my service centre definitely seems to have improved in, well , services. The pick up and drop was a breeze, the new S.A was active enough to keep my dad informed of what is going on and also a feedback call was arranged.

My dealer is Volkswagen Automark, Vadodara.

P.S :My Jetta is also a Feb, 2014 MFG model, but it has halogens and is a Comfortline.
Hi Vishy, thank you for the prompt response.

It's a relief to know that everything is normal with headlights btw do you think the condensation issue is specific to Highline bi-xenons?

I will just get the headlight throw & door strike issues fixed from VW Karnavati (Parklane) & I am never going back there. I am quite satisfied with VW Automark Ahmedabad as well. Automark guys take customer feedback very seriously & the fact that the owner has number of Honda dealerships (Landmark Honda) should help in creating good culture as well.
Old 27th October 2017, 14:18   #3022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vishy, thank you for the prompt response.

It's a relief to know that everything is normal with headlights btw do you think the condensation issue is specific to Highline bi-xenons?

I will just get the headlight throw & door strike issues fixed from VW Karnavati (Parklane) & I am never going back there. I am quite satisfied with VW Automark Ahmedabad as well. Automark guys take customer feedback very seriously & the fact that the owner has number of Honda dealerships (Landmark Honda) should help in creating good culture as well.
The headlight condensation is actually there in all cars. Yes, the degree of condensation might vary. Looking at the images you have posted, even my double barrel halogens had similar condensation. Nothing to worry about. (Although even I was worried initially)

Additionally, and even strangely, this issue hasn't recurred since 2 years now. Maybe the weather in Vadodara. I was a mumbaiker and those Lonavala and Satara Ghat drives with heavy rain, water splashes and especially cold weather used to cause this IIRC.

Automark Vadodara has improved by leaps and bounds. Although they billed me 14k+Germkleen, my dad didn't mind paying this time. Hope they keep up the good work.
Old 27th October 2017, 14:20   #3023
BHPian

You're "repeatedly bitten but not shy".

Sorry mate, after the first debacle, I'd have just turned around and gone to Automark than persist with Karnavati. I just hope this doesn't lead to more and more problems for you. When they f it up, they do a thorough job of it. Hopefully, you escaped.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 14:31   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You're "repeatedly bitten but not shy".

Sorry mate, after the first debacle, I'd have just turned around and gone to Automark than persist with Karnavati. I just hope this doesn't lead to more and more problems for you. When they f it up, they do a thorough job of it. Hopefully, you escaped.
In hindsight, that would have been the right thing to do. Now I am thinking about getting the mess created by Karnavati fixed at Automark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Seems a common problem. Here is one suggested solution in TDI forums
Will give it a try & let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 27th October 2017 at 14:50.
Old 27th October 2017, 15:18   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[*]Is the headlight condensation in the pics below normal? Has anyone faced it? Does the owners manual say that it is normal?
Mine is Aug 2014 manufactured DSG Highline. I think Tanveer's Jetta was from the same batch & as he lives in Mumbai where the humidity is high & it rains heavily, would really appreciate his input/experience.[*]Can anyone please share the invoice for suspension greasing?
Headlight condensation is totally normal, Let it be the way it is, It would go away as the weather changes, Infact raising this issue with the VW service centre might mess it up even more, Like mentioned above just check once if the rubber seals are properly secure, You can get this done while your at the service centre standing next to the car, Don't let them mess anything more.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 17:03   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
5. Front & rear lips.

6. Touchscreen head-unit with Apple CarPlay (no Android Auto, but bro uses an iPhone so...).
Lovely subtle mods!!

Where did you procure the front lip, rear lip and MIB from?
Old 28th October 2017, 00:07   #3027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Lovely subtle mods!!

Where did you procure the front lip, rear lip and MIB from?
You can source the HU with Apple Auto from Aliexpress. There is a dedicated thread in the ICE section about it.
Old 28th October 2017, 13:58   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You can source the HU with Apple Auto from Aliexpress. There is a dedicated thread in the ICE section about it.
There are so many models available. Is this the one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JNDS...b-82779e136764
Old 28th October 2017, 14:14   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
There are so many models available. Is this the one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JNDS...b-82779e136764
Yes - this is one of the options with CarPlay. There are options without carplay (roughly $100) or option with CarPlay + Android Auto ($250).
Old 28th October 2017, 21:07   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Could you help with a link for the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks