Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 10:35   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Raj - please ask the sales executive where the camera if opted for would be fit ? I mean would they drill holes on the bumper or would it be fit near the tail gate applique ?
I saw a XUV with camera fitted in Chennai. It exactly not center as there is a bump design in the rear bumper. please note the RED Dot where the camera is fitted.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv5oo06.jpg
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:19   #902
Senior - BHPian

Just back from the test drive. Some points -

1) Test drives are given not by sales executive of that particular dealership but by "Mahindra Customer Relationship Executives". These executives are appointed by the parent company (Mahindra) & are stationed across various dealerships. This is to avoid any inconvenience to the cutomers.

2) Test drive slot was for half an hour but the executive was kind enough to give me a half an hour test drive followed by 15 mins of trying out all the features.

3) I test drove a Red W8. The dealership had 4 XUVs (silver, grey, red & white) and all are provided by the company.

4) Most importantly, the Customer Relationship Executive is there for a purpose. After every test drive, he asks the customers to jot down their feedbacks. He is of the opinion that the feedbacks are in the process of being incorporated in the coming models. As per him, when the bookings open, deliveries will start only by March-April & those cars will be the "refreshed" versions. As per him, the most awaited feature is a sunroof. He confidently told me that the glare on the windscreen because of the shiny centre console will definitely be eliminated in the newer version. Feedbacks which I gave were -

* Put the middle row on rails so that the third row can be usable
* Give reliable electronics

5) the executive informed me that aftermarket alloys can be fitted on the W8 as the tire pressure sensors can be swapped.

6) It did play video files (.avi format) from my USB easily. But only when the car is stationary.

7) The executive was clueless about reverse camera. he informed me that Mahindra has not yet provided that accessory but it will soon be available along with rear parcel tray. So, provisions have been given.

8) Loved the 'opulent purple' colour, it is very different from what we see in pics. Looks a little brownish. best colour for XUV followed by grey, IMHO.

Coming to the test drive,

I drove for approx 15 kms this time. I did not find any abnormality with the clutch. Infact, I was trying hard to notice some fault, but it was just normal for me. The test drive route was awesome, in simple words. Straights, bends, inclines, dirt track, it had everything!

On straights, I took the car till 120 kmph. It was effortless. Initially I did think that it did not have the surge of the Scorpio but it was when I looked at the speedometer, that I realized that I was doing speeds higher than what i thought to be!

The road had some nice bends which i took at 60-70 kmph, some sharper bends needed me to brake. Roll, yes its there, but not too much to disturb or scare the passengers inside. it was well controlled.

On inclines, the mHawk motor pulls & pulls & pulls. tried the hill hold feature, works well. no worry of engine stalls anymore.

next was the braking while coming down the slope. Its not at all bad, it comes to halt in a perfect straight line but yes, for a car with disc brakes all around, it could have been better. I felt braking distance could have been better.

Finally, the dirt track. it was actually a path (i wont call it a road as there was actually no road!) leading to a village. full of bumps & craters. I did not try any high speed driving on this terrain as it could have been dangerous as well but at normal speeds, the ride seemed pliant. yes, I felt it to be better than the innova. there was no hard rocking or bouncing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I have a couple here

1) How is the clutch in bumper to bumper where you constantly shift between 1st and 2nd gear?
As i said, i found it to be very normal. Maybe since I am used to driving Scorpios & Innovas.

Quote:
2)Take it over some really rough roads at speed and see how you feel about the entire vehicle like vibrations in steering wheel etc? How confident did you feel about the vehicle when driven on such roads? i.e In terms of using the vehicle on those sort of roads on a daily basis.
I should have taken the pic or video of the bad road i took it to. Infact it was such a road where low slung sedans cant go. they would get stuck.

No vibrations in steering felt. I was taking it easy, the way I would normaly drive over such roads, maybe 10-15 kmph & it felt comfortable & pliant. no bounciness at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Also, give us some inputs on the XUV's braking. I've heard, and I've been told that the brakes are poor, despite the all-round disc-brake and ABS setup.
As said above, it could have been better with the braking distance.

Quote:
Raj - please ask the sales executive where the camera if opted for would be fit ? I mean would they drill holes on the bumper or would it be fit near the tail gate applique ?
Mahindra has still not come up with that option yet.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th November 2011 at 13:21.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:23   #903
BHPian

Saw the following posted on the XUV Facebook page by someone who had been to the service center to replace fog lamps and LED's

Quote:
Mahindra has issued a recall on the following..if you have taken delivery then you can go to the service and get these done.

1. Re Flash Software for infotainment, ecm etc etc
2. Retorque Suspension
3. Change transmission oil
LastActionHero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:30   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
As per him, the most awaited feature is a sunroof. He confidently told me that the glare on the windscreen because of the shiny centre console will definitely be eliminated in the newer version.
Did he say anything about introducing an automatic? If they do, XUV would be an attractive proposition for auto-transmission fans too.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 16th November 2011, 13:40   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Did he say anything about introducing an automatic? If they do, XUV would be an attractive proposition for auto-transmission fans too.

Cheers,
Vikram
No, he did not say anything about the A/T nor did I ask him.
Old 16th November 2011, 14:13   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Saw the following posted on the XUV Facebook page by someone who had been to the service center to replace fog lamps and LED's

[/b]
Already issues with transmission, suspension and electronics. God help us!!
Old 16th November 2011, 14:37   #907
BHPian

I guess it is a good initiatives that they ask for feedback from the person, after the test ride (if they are serious in doing that).

We can give a feedback for improved sound system (or atleast provide an option so that we can do it from grey market).
Old 16th November 2011, 15:59   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4) Most importantly, the Customer Relationship Executive is there for a purpose. After every test drive, he asks the customers to jot down their feedbacks. He is of the opinion that the feedbacks are in the process of being incorporated in the coming models. As per him, when the bookings open, deliveries will start only by March-April & those cars will be the "refreshed" versions. As per him, the most awaited feature is a sunroof. He confidently told me that the glare on the windscreen because of the shiny centre console will definitely be eliminated in the newer version. Feedbacks which I gave were -

* Put the middle row on rails so that the third row can be usable
* Give reliable electronics
This is what I like about M&M. They give us too much sense of confidence by their act. I wonder TATA never bothered to go out of way for Aria which costs a bomb compared to the XUV. I am getting more & more impressed with the team.

Did the SA mentioned what are the major feedbacks they have received so far, other than the shiny center console piece? Also will those pieces in the already sold out cars replaced for free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I don't think it's any serious issues. Change of oil, upgrade ECM, re-torque..sounds nothing deadly.

Let's see the positive side of it -

1. They are extremely quick to come up with fixes after launching the car.
2. They had the guts to offer a re-call - How many other manufacturers in India bothers to do a "re-call" ? Don't we know of multiple cars with multiple issues from rattling to weak brakes and still no signs of recalls? Heck, there are issues which were diagnosed 2-3 years back and NO fix at all till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
I guess it is a good initiatives that they ask for feedback from the person, after the test ride (if they are serious in doing that).
Absolutely. Full points for M&M to do this. Inspires the customers a LOT to go for their products.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th November 2011 at 16:02.
Old 16th November 2011, 16:27   #909
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did the SA mentioned what are the major feedbacks they have received so far, other than the shiny center console piece?
When I had taken a TD 2 weeks back, I had mentioned to the SA that the first 2 gears are kind of difficult (a combination of notchiness and long throw of the gear lever) and the driver arm-rest aggrevates that situation. The SA said that a lot of people had mentioned this and it has already been fed back to M&M.

Last edited by SDP : 16th November 2011 at 16:28.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 20:10   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
These are not issues, cmon. They have been good enough to offer upgrades for free. How many companies willingly do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is what I like about M&M. They give us too much sense of confidence by their act. I wonder TATA never bothered to go out of way for Aria which costs a bomb compared to the XUV. I am getting more & more impressed with the team.
Trust me, I have been using Mahindra's products since years & I have never seen such good attitude of theirs till now.

They are very responsive & customer friendly this time.

Quote:
Did the SA mentioned what are the major feedbacks they have received so far, other than the shiny center console piece? Also will those pieces in the already sold out cars replaced for free?
yes. Other than shiny centre console rectification, sunroof is the most demanded feature.

He claims these two changes will definitely happen in the newer version.

P.S.: I am quoting his exact words & I am not sure of its credibility!

I did tell him that the initial batch of customers may feel cheated but he just told me that Mahindra is really keen to improve their product this time & that is the reason for the quick upgrades.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 20:21   #911
BHPian

"sun roof" - is there a practical use, except a bit of good looking feature ?
Old 16th November 2011, 20:39   #912
Senior - BHPian

Another in demand feature is Auto transmission - words of SA here in Bangalore and the feedback i gave him.
Old 16th November 2011, 22:07   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
When I had taken a TD 2 weeks back, I had mentioned to the SA that the first 2 gears are kind of difficult (a combination of notchiness and long throw of the gear lever) and the driver arm-rest aggrevates that situation. The SA said that a lot of people had mentioned this and it has already been fed back to M&M.
Quote:
shiny centre console rectification,

He claims changes will definitely happen in the newer version.

P.S.: I am quoting his exact words & I am not sure of its credibility!

I did tell him that the initial batch of customers may feel cheated but he just told me that Mahindra is really keen to improve their product this time & that is the reason for the quick upgrades.
Guys - i fail to understand one thing - does it need a customer scapegoat to test the inconvenience of the center console box shine on the windscreen and clutch being hard ? I mean the test driver, who would have driven the vehicles for miles together would/could have provided the feedback. I appreciate the fact about incorporating sun roof and AT as feedback from customers, but i still feel that shiny finish at the very least could have been sorted at the root level itself.

I think i got the strategy. It is priced low initially for the initial period and then there will be a price increase and all the niggles would be sorted out. So the early birds are compensated with the low price for being their testers.
Old 16th November 2011, 23:42   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the initial batch of customers may feel cheated but he just told me that Mahindra is really keen to improve their product this time & that is the reason for the quick upgrades.
If the price is kept the same the existing customers may feel cheated, but if the price goes up with the refresh, then the owners feel happy that they saved some money, also get the satisfaction of being one of the firsts to own it.
But refresh in 3 months indicates that not enough validation was done before the launch.
Quote:
It is priced low initially for the initial period and then there will be a price increase and all the niggles would be sorted out. So the early birds are compensated with the low price for being their testers.
That could be the reason they stopped booking after a very short time.

Last edited by teamveevee : 16th November 2011 at 23:45.
Old 17th November 2011, 00:21   #915
Senior - BHPian

I have a question. If all XUV owners are assigned personnel RM, does that mean that you will have to stick to the same dealer from whom you bought the car and cannot go for servicing to other dealers?
Reason for asking is that i am having a real bad experince with my current dealer . So if i am assigned a RM from them, then would i be stuck with them forever

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks