Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 09:07   #3796
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Believe @nitinralli had posted this concern on Mahindra XUV500 FB page. Guess another win for t-bhp? :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I too can confirm this, got email confirmation from the very top in Mahindra.
Doing away with the 'months' rider and going by mileage alone for scheduled maintenance is welcome news for people like me who don't operate tourist taxi services and run their cars around 10 - 15 K KM per year.

Whether M&M took this decision due to campaigns by Nitin Ralli (which I too had supported on Facebook) and others or due to their own workload problems, we all have reason to cheer.

Though my average driving during the last 6 years (since I took early retirement) has been less than 10,000 KM per year, I have driven my XUV-W6 about 5,500 KM since buying it only 45 days ago! New josh with a new car, I guess. I also got the first free service done. You may check out my detailed report at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2985296

Last edited by debuda : 10th December 2012 at 09:10.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 22:32   #3797
BHPian

It's happening!! My wait is coming to an end.
Confirmation received from dealer today. Silver W8 blocked. Am reaching Mumbai Jan 6. Taking delivery on Jan 7. Counting down the days.....22 to go
Old 17th December 2012, 07:59   #3798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Confirmation received from dealer today. Silver W8 blocked. Am reaching Mumbai Jan 6. Taking delivery on Jan 7. Counting down the days.....22 to go
Heartiest congratulations. You'll have your own Silver XUV in 3 weeks. Why did you decide to take delivery in Bombay? Will you also be registering your car there?
Old 17th December 2012, 12:13   #3799
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations Heave_Horse!
I have lost track of the price-hikes. Faintly remember reading a news last week that M&M is raising prices by 2-5% from Jan-2013.

What is the current OTR price that you would be paying for XUV5OO W8 in Mumbai?
Old 17th December 2012, 12:47   #3800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Heartiest congratulations. You'll have your own Silver XUV in 3 weeks. Why did you decide to take delivery in Bombay? Will you also be registering your car there?
Thank you Dada. Can't wait to get my hands on it!! Just downloaded the manual last night and going through it!! Dada, I'm buying and registering in Mumbai because basically we have become Mumbaikars. This Manipal soujorn is a temporary affair and will probably last another year. Additionally Karnataka road taxes and registration charges are upto Rs 1lakh more than Mumbai. So any way you look at it, made no sense to buy here. Deliveries are also quicker in Mumbai especially the W8 which is now available in a week's time. I think after the launch of Duster, XUV demand is slowing down. Just saw a 10second ad on NDTV yesterday evening. Duster is advertising quite heavily and I think M&M will be starting their's too. Let's wait and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Congratulations Heave_Horse!
I have lost track of the price-hikes. Faintly remember reading a news last week that M&M is raising prices by 2-5% from Jan-2013.

What is the current OTR price that you would be paying for XUV5OO W8 in Mumbai?
SDP thanks so much. Yeah you are right. That report was in ET about the price rise from Jan 2013. They quoted me Rs 16.06 lakhs but they are open to negotiating the insurance quote. Best is if you get a outside quote and they are quite willing to match it. In my case they brought it down by 18K, so OTR without any accessories comes to Rs 15.88 lakhs.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 14:27   #3801
BHPian

Quote:

SDP thanks so much. Yeah you are right. That report was in ET about the price rise from Jan 2013. They quoted me Rs 16.06 lakhs but they are open to negotiating the insurance quote. Best is if you get a outside quote and they are quite willing to match it. In my case they brought it down by 18K, so OTR without any accessories comes to Rs 15.88 lakhs.
That's quite a lot of price hike. Considering that I had bought my XUV W8 in July for 14.30 lacs inclusive of zero dep insurance,with a base ex factory price of 11,23,106/-, I think even the XUV is now losing its vfm status. Or maybe with a gradual increase in price is M&M using better quality parts?? That's highly debatable.
abhinavinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 14:51   #3802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
That's quite a lot of price hike. Considering that I had bought my XUV W8 in July for 14.30 lacs inclusive of zero dep insurance,with a base ex factory price of 11,23,106/-, I think even the XUV is now losing its vfm status. Or maybe with a gradual increase in price is M&M using better quality parts?? That's highly debatable.
Abhinav if I take the current ex-factory price of Ludhiana, effective Oct 15, 2012 onwards, it is Rs 13,46,664 (see M&M website) which is a 20% increase over what you paid. That is a stiff hike over one year, assuming you got the launch prices. I hope some of that additional money has been spent on addressing the PS issue, the brake issue and the infotainment s/w. But off course we can never be sure unless we hear from the horse's mouth. Given that inflation has been around the 10% mark over the last one year, they have compensated for that too, plus the overwhelming demand may also have given them the impetus to push up prices.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:55   #3803
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats, I feel that excitement. Very strangely Mamba, My XUV is 14 months old now and i still feel, i took it out of the showroom yesterday.

There is something about this car
mannubhai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 20:35   #3804
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Congrats, I feel that excitement. Very strangely Mamba, My XUV is 14 months old now and i still feel, i took it out of the showroom yesterday.

+100 to that!

Even my XUV is ~6 months young. But I still feel the same excitement when I drive everyday.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 21:51   #3805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Thanks Manoj. Great to know that your excitement continues. May it last for many more years.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:09   #3806
BHPian

I got my w8-fwd 10 days ago. I finally got a chance to push her this past weekend on a bangalore - mysore road.
First impression is the power. Wow wow! I mean the torque generated to push this 2.5 ton vehicle is amazing
Second impression is that it is a great cruiser. Maintains 100-120 so easily.
Finally, the drive in spite of the traffic and speed breakers was relaxing and not tiring at all.

Overall a great vehicle to buy and own!
Old 19th December 2012, 12:49   #3807
BHPian

Can anybody help me with the accessories? My SE gave me the list with prices (attached). I told her that I don't want any accessories for cosmetic value on the W8. She suggested that I get the carpet laminated since that will provide a plastic coat that can be easily cleaned in case of spillage etc. Does anybody have any view on that? Anything utilitarian that anyone can suggest. I will be really grateful.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx XUV 5OO ACCESSORIES PRICE LIST .xlsx (14.6 KB, 1110 views)
Old 19th December 2012, 13:59   #3808
BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody help me with the accessories? My SE gave me the list with prices (attached). I told her that I don't want any accessories for cosmetic value on the W8. She suggested that I get the carpet laminated since that will provide a plastic coat that can be easily cleaned in case of spillage etc. Does anybody have any view on that? Anything utilitarian that anyone can suggest. I will be really grateful.
For no cosmetic value the following would be good

Rain Visors: With Bombay rains it would help keeping the rain out
Roof Carrier: if you have more than 5 ppl travelling regularly
Side body moulding: would help reduce scratches for light hits on the sides. you would need to take a call on how you like the looks of the car with these
Floor mats: are necessary. If you need 3D mats or 3M Mats then you could get it aftermarket. Otherwise the Rubber mats are pretty good quality wise
Reverse Camera: I suggest you drive for a month and then take a call. I brought one and dont use it at all
I dont remember if the W8 comes with a leather steering wrap. If not get one. My w6 does not have it and i am planning on getting one soon
I suggest you get the Illuminated Scruff plates. Even though they are purely cosmetic I really love them. they look super cool. I have it in my grey XUV and they are super duper cool.

Above are just my suggestions

Last edited by gandalf : 19th December 2012 at 14:01.
gandalf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 14:17   #3809
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My recommendations:

A reverse-camera is a must. Let alone parked bikes, you can not even make out a Maruti 800 if it is right behind the vehicle.

If you have kids travelling a lot in the XUV, may be carpet matting.

If you have senior-citizens regularly onboard, then side-foot-setps. You also can get similar ones after-market, for practically half the price.

If planning for long trips with 6 adults and luggage, may be the roof carrier. Again, I would suggest, get it just before any such trip rather than right away. Pretty sure, you will get better after-market options.

Illuiminated scuff-plates. They look seriously cool at night. But I opted out of it because of the additional wiring and concerns about the plate fouling with the puddle light when the door is closed.

You might want to pick up a couple of retractable screens for the rear-windows. With all the confusion around sunfilms and SC order, that's the safest bet to protect from harsh sun.

And finally, one thing that is still on by shopping list - a GPS tracking security solution like iTrack. BTW, iTrack does have a tie-up with Mahindras for security solutions and you can get iTrack GPS tracking installed under the supervision of the Mahindra authorized service center.

Last edited by SDP : 19th December 2012 at 14:21.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 14:46   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
For no cosmetic value the following would be good

Rain Visors: With Bombay rains it would help keeping the rain out
Roof Carrier: if you have more than 5 ppl travelling regularly
Side body moulding: would help reduce scratches for light hits on the sides. you would need to take a call on how you like the looks of the car with these
Floor mats: are necessary. If you need 3D mats or 3M Mats then you could get it aftermarket. Otherwise the Rubber mats are pretty good quality wise
Reverse Camera: I suggest you drive for a month and then take a call. I brought one and dont use it at all
I dont remember if the W8 comes with a leather steering wrap. If not get one. My w6 does not have it and i am planning on getting one soon
I suggest you get the Illuminated Scruff plates. Even though they are purely cosmetic I really love them. they look super cool. I have it in my grey XUV and they are super duper cool.

Above are just my suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
My recommendations:

A reverse-camera is a must. Let alone parked bikes, you can not even make out a Maruti 800 if it is right behind the vehicle.

If you have kids travelling a lot in the XUV, may be carpet matting.

If you have senior-citizens regularly onboard, then side-foot-setps. You also can get similar ones after-market, for practically half the price.

If planning for long trips with 6 adults and luggage, may be the roof carrier. Again, I would suggest, get it just before any such trip rather than right away. Pretty sure, you will get better after-market options.

Illuiminated scuff-plates. They look seriously cool at night. But I opted out of it because of the additional wiring and concerns about the plate fouling with the puddle light when the door is closed.

You might want to pick up a couple of retractable screens for the rear-windows. With all the confusion around sunfilms and SC order, that's the safest bet to protect from harsh sun.

And finally, one thing that is still on by shopping list - a GPS tracking security solution like iTrack. BTW, iTrack does have a tie-up with Mahindras for security solutions and you can get iTrack GPS tracking installed under the supervision of the Mahindra authorized service center.

My recommendation would be
3d mats : really required to keep your car mats clean. Go for it

illuminated scuff plates : always good to get it from the dealer itself as they very well would know how to handle the wiring and also incase if something fails you can always go back to them. I have fitted them and using for the last 5 months. So far no issue. Also I never felt the issue with the plate fouling with the puddle light when the door is closed. And have to admit the interiors of the car really look damn cool and blingy in the night with the red lounge lighting and the illuminted blue scuff plates. Go for it

Reverse camera : Was planning to fit when I took delivery but the price quoted by the dealer was Rs10000+ . I see its Rs4000 in the quote provided to you. I thought it was a must, but now after driving 8000+kms, I never felt any issue without having it. The reverse sensor by itself is really helpful. Infact I still reverse with the help of the rear view mirrors and the beeping reverse sensor just gives me the required confidence in tight spots. Your call on how confident you are with reversing such a big car and in tight parking spots. But for the price offered, I would suggest you have it since the car has the option in the infotainment. Am also planning to fit one, just to show off...

Roof carrier : again required only if the 3rd row seats would be used for passengers. I keep my folded at all times and it fairly provides enough space to carry a good amount of luggage

Rain visors : Get it. I had it in my previous car and was a really useful when driving in the rains with the windows slightly rolled down. Also avoided water falling on the controls on the door handles in such situations. Need to get it fitted for my XUV also

Side beading : Good to have. Look vise you need to take a call especially in terms of the body color. I have a purple car and beading looks great.

W8 has a leather steering cover.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks