Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:51   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Renault Duster Will Get A Facelift To Stay Ahead Of EcoSport

Source:
I don't think this will hit India anytime soon, unless the demand nosedives in the next 1 year period. To counter Ecosport in India, they are planning to launch a 4WD variant by Mar-Apr 2013.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:41   #1832

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I Booked 85 BHP RXL in the moth of October from Renault white filed, Bangalore. Thinking to cancel it off due to the following reasons –

1. Lack of information on delivery date – Dealer is clueless to tell me even an approximate date. All their responses are like weather forecasts. Different sales persons reveal their own perspectives. Some says I may get it bay Jan end, some says there are no delivery plans for Jan .

2. Ownership reports in this thread – I loved the drivability of this vehicle, but was never confident on the build. Recent posts from owners second that thought. I am worried on the durability of parts, even after paying a hefty sum ( I don’t believe in garlands like ‘cheap compact SUV’. In fact the tag ‘cheap’ does not suit this vehicle as an average model sans ABS and Alloy wheel costs 11.3 L in Bangalore)
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:32   #1833
BHPian

After reading so many complaints about the quality of plastics and about questionable durability of parts like door handles etc, I have question for Duster owners.
Does the warranty cover plastics and interior trims?

It will be ridiculous if people have to constantly shell out money for things like door handles, switches, a/c ducts etc.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:55   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I have clocked closer to 15000 Kms on my Duster without any major hurdles. Sure, I had my share of teething troubles, niggles most of which have been sorted out, but if you were to compare the comfort, driveability and braking of the Duster Vs the TATA storme the conclusion is foregone.
<snip>
Neil. So, have you finished the 2nd service @ 10k? How was the experience? What was done at the service? Have you updated this information in your ownernship thread? Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 00:13   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy

At the cost of repeating myself, just because the Duster can ride over rough roads with ease does not mean that you can do that at high speeds without consequences like rattling, plastic breakage etc which is what TD vehicles are meant to do everyday, all day.
Neil, consider yourself lucky mate, nothing else. Believe me I have handled this car very carefully for the 4000 KM that I have clocked. And even for a second if we agree that I have mishandled the vehicle for meagre 4000 km, does it justify such rattles??

I had a budget of approx 7 lakhs for the upgrade from Santro, but I loved the looks of Duster so much that I extended my purse strings to add another 4 lakhs, telling myself throughout that this car is for at least next 7 years. But that very premise now stands shattered. I am seriously thinking about selling it off and going for maybe a swift or something.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 06:37   #1836
BHPian

Of late, I read many posts here regarding rattlings and other complaints on Duster. Out of curiosity I read the latest posts in the thread of official review of XUV 500. To my surprise, I found several and more complaints similar to Duster. I mean regarding cheap plastics, rattlings and niggles on numerous gadgets in XUV 500. So, I think, cars can be changed but problems will be the same.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:42   #1837
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
After 2000 Kms and first service here are my re it

Negatives:-
- Every god damn thing is extremely mechanical in nature. Headlight adjustment, fuel lid, central lock. Was this thing designed by someone stuck in 80s?
- Atrocious quality at some places. Thankfully, such places are less.
- Ugly exposed bits if you can bend down to look.
- No auto central lock is taking it too far.
- Below par sound system.Even my santro's budget music system sounds 10 times better than Duster's.
- Quirky ergonomics here and there.

More in my initial ownership report which is staling from last one month.

But, even with all these quirks, when you drive in poor roads of HighTaxaLuru(aka Bengaluru) it gives you immense pleasure that though it lacks gadgets, luxury or bling the car has all its basics just right.

If you are person who prefer function over form, you are going to fall in love with this vehicle. If you want more electronics, gadgets, bling or shiny stuff for money look elsewhere.

/Now off to finishing that Initial ownership report.
Nice review. The Duster after all was designed purely to do a job and do it with minimum fuss. Irrespective of where it is manufactured, it is engineered to a cost and this is evident in the lack of frills.
Whatever it is, it does the job excellently all round. As you say, function over form, bling and 'features' - thats the bottom line!
I really would have bought it had they given the top Euro spec to us in India. It really is the best possible upgrade from a Scorpio/ base level Indian SUV world and certainly from the hatch / sedan world.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:58   #1838
BHPian

I have posted the same information given below on my ownership report. I'm putting it here also, in case existing Duster owners have similar issues to mine.

Just now back after leaving the Duster with Khivraj Chennai for 15000 Kms checkup(not regular service).
Reason for checkup - very poor pickup and low mileage during my recent trip to coimbatore. Pickup so poor, I had a tough time overhauling an XUV who wanted to pit his ability against the Duster.
The Service advisor had a look under the hood and guess what - AIR filter is clogged. Had it cleaned thoroughly and now the Duster is back to its pace once more.Now the service manual states that AIR filter has to be cleaned at 10000 Kms and replaced at 20000 Kms. Even though mine was cleaned at 10000 Km service, it is clogged within 5000 Kms.So all Duster owners, if you have loss of pickup and mileage, check your air filter.I am planning to see if the cleaned AIR filter will work till 20000Kms on the ODO, else the better option will be to replace at every 10000 Km intervals.
Another interesting thing that I have observed is that the OE Audio system can be turned on without the key being inserted into the ignition.This means that without the keys itself, you can playback songs and connect to Blue tooth etc. Just press the POWER button and see for yourself. Credit to this incredible find goes to my 3 year old Son, who kept fiddling with the HU even after I removed the ignition keys.Sorry if this info has already been posted.
Cheers
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 12:44   #1839

Guys, mine is RXL 110 PS which does not have reverse sensors. I was always inclided to put reverse sensors with camera. However, I wanted a seperate LCD sceen on the dashboard. With no such option available, I have bought MaymyIndia navigation (model ZX250). This model supports reverse camera when the reverse gear is engaged. I got this done from Reliance Autozone. Cost is as below:

MapmyIndia ZX250- 15000
Reverse sensors with camera- 8000

below are few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-b.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-c.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-d.jpg  

nariyani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 14:35   #1840
Distinguished - BHPian

This was one car on my radar. Everything was fine (even with the launch price) and might have gone for it sometime later till I started reading on the wrong pratices, arrogance of dealers etc! My friends tried a lot to get a TD, we flamed Renault India twitter account, nothing worked still! I straight away struck this off my list & thought I might go for the Nissan version.

I want a beater car next, for decent abuse. I will still use the car on road (can't really say tarmac as most of the roads don't have it). After using a Swift, the foremost thing I am looking is for solid build quality as I can't stand rattles (which crops up in Swift in no time on my native roads). From these reports, guess I will have to strike out Nissan's version too since part sharing will be there & should be of similar quality.

A car which develops rattle in 5000 kms simply can NOT be called abuse-friendly. I guess Toyota is still the better bet for our kind roads. Hope ecosport gives much better build to prevent rattles!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th January 2013 at 14:38.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:55   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

A car which develops rattle in 5000 kms simply can NOT be called abuse-friendly. I guess Toyota is still the better bet for our kind roads. Hope ecosport gives much better build to prevent rattles!
I agree. Even with a slight abuse, at 5000kms, a car should not rattle.

We have 2 ford cars in the family and i can tell you that they are built to last. My 6.5 years old Ikon with 64000kms on odo has no rattles at all.
kopakabana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 17:30   #1842
BHPian

I got a call from renault service and they asked if I had any issues even after first service.
I replied, I can still hear minor rattling in the front door.

They have asked to come down to service center and they are willing to fix it by increasing the door padding.

But question is, will it blend?
Old 4th January 2013, 18:24   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I got a call from renault service and they asked if I had any issues even after first service.
I replied, I can still hear minor rattling in the front door.

They have asked to come down to service center and they are willing to fix it by increasing the door padding.

But question is, will it blend?
Mate, I have taken my car to Renault Thane for the door rattling issue and they eliminated it completely, only for it to re surface within 5 days. First it was on the left door and now the driver door has also joined the chorus.
The driver seat makes a creaking noise as well, if i bend forward to pick something or to adjust those wonderfully placed a/c controls.
This was my first premium purchase (so to say) considering I was upgrading from Santro, and this is the last thing that i wanted to see
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 19:37   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I recently took my uncles duster for a visit to temple through Charmadi ghat. Was quiet impressed with car like drivablility, one thing i noticed was when front tyres when passed through small poth holes the steering used to turn either left or right side, this is scary if you are negotiating with curves in good speed if you are not holding the steering tight it might change the direction itself.

My Uncle told this complaint to service center during 5000 kms service, he was told its normal it will become alright after sometime. I doubt there might be some problem with particular car steering, or any of you guys faced same issue?
Old 4th January 2013, 19:40   #1845
BHPian

Was gonna book this car this week , but now the fact that it isnt abuse friendly with such parts and the rattling seems to be overshadowing the pros that include great driveability and a suv for 13 lakhs (the 85 rxl with option pack model ) in bangalore. So do all of you people here who have had experiences with this car feel i should go ahead and book it or go for an alternative?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks