Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 19:36   #1966
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskesavan View Post
Thanks woodcrawler for throwing more light on Duster . Infact I read this thread in its entirety before I went for booking it on 8th Dec, 12, and now waiting for delivery, in March, 13. Unless, you fell in love with it so strongly, you wont vouch for it. I understood it clearly. The positives you mentioned like boot space etc are suitable for me too. Only after considering applicability of all pros and cons of Duster to me, I decided to go for it. So no regrets at all.
You are right bro. At one point of time, having been kept waiting for so long and finally having to opt for a colour that never figured in my plans, I was having a lot of apprehension. After I drove it from Kochi to Palakkad I fell in love, only to think again a couple of weeks later, that I had made bad decision when the car started leaking and stinking. I though I was stuck with a lemon but once Renault lifted themselves to solve the problem I'm literally living in my Duster

Like I said in a post above this. Buying a car is like a marriage. There are faults certainly but it is how we learn to live with them by making small adjustments. Then, it is going to be and great romance....

Last edited by woodcrawler : 20th January 2013 at 19:42.
woodcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 12:27   #1967
BHPian

Excellent review. A very honest car.

Booked mine on the 10th of Jan '13. Expected delivery Aug/Sept. Makes for the ideal "beater car" for the house.

Decided on the 85hp diesel in RXe trim in Metallic White.

Reasons.
1. Frugal proven power plant, 99% use in town, so chose driveability over brute force.
2. Ride quality and build.
3. Useful cargo space for the airport runs/shopping trips.
4. Fuss free appeal.
5. Good ground clearance.
added boon, tired of beige seats. Black interiors, white car. perfect beater.

Will not miss the bolt on rear A/C or the factory audio. Alloys i dont care about.

Chosen over similarly priced sedans.

Honda City Corporate Ed. - petrol powered.

Verna - Fussy styling. Gimmicky car. Not beater material. Bad dynamics. Price.

Vento - High service costs. Price. In my head, feels a bit premium for the intended duty.

Moreover, all of the above are sedans. Thought i'd try something new and embrace the added GC and luggage space.

Now the wait begins.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:44   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Booked mine on the 10th of Jan '13. Expected delivery Aug/Sept.

Now the wait begins.
I booked mine in December last week and I have been promised a delivery within 2 months. My location is Navi Mumbai . But i m surprised to see such disparities in deliveries. People booked in August 12 have not yet received deliveries. Is 2 months realistic or I ll be disappointed and will have to wait longer?

PS: I have also booked 85 RXL(o)
Old 21st January 2013, 13:19   #1969
BHPian

We recently bought Duster 85 RXL. The car is with my folks and I live elsewhere. As per my brother, there is a very faint rattle coming from the engine. I guess being Diesel, this would be normal?

Did any other 85 ps owner notice this engine rattle? This is our first Diesel vehicle, so we are not really sure what engine sound is normal and what should be a cause for concern.

Would greatly appreciate any inputs.

Thanks !
Old 21st January 2013, 13:59   #1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
I booked mine in December last week and I have been promised a delivery within 2 months. My location is Navi Mumbai . But i m surprised to see such disparities in deliveries. People booked in August 12 have not yet received deliveries. Is 2 months realistic or I ll be disappointed and will have to wait longer?

It is a function of the variant one books. RXZ 110 is available off the shelf. RXE (base model) seems to have the maximum waiting time.

Things have started to look a little better for RXL and RXL(O) - 2 - 3 months or maybe lesser. I am sure there will be a lot of cancellations post the price increase. And with diesel set to get dearer, the waitlist will only come down..

I guess Renault is now past the initial euphoria and mad rush of bookings.. There production rate must now be outstripping the current booking rate..
Old 21st January 2013, 15:58   #1971
BHPian

This has been displayed at Renault Thane since almost a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-optimizedwaiting.jpg  

engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 16:13   #1972
BHPian

On Saturday we went to Renault showroom here to take a look at the Duster, I was planning to do this visit for a long time, since i'am not in the market for a car purchase, this thing took its own time until staurday we happen to cross the showroom.

My first impression after sitting inside Duster, where is the space?. Im 6.2, even after tilted the steering to its highest set up i found the steering kept fiddling with my legs. If i lower the driver seat i find myself sitting too low. If i sit on the driver seat, the passenger behind me should be less than 5 feet to sit some what comfortable otherwise he has to sit with legs wide open .
The only place i found spacious is the boot. the so called jump seat is a BIG Joke.

Then turned ourself and looked at Scala, Coming back from Duster to Scala makes one feel like getting out of a cramped two bhk apartment and entering into a Vila. Spacious!!!. is the only word, It got plenty of space for driver and front passenger. So as the back seat. And when we opened the boot, it was even more bigger than Duster. and it also comes with a cheaper price tag.

The only place Duster scores are its looks and GC. Its not an off-roader so practical usage of that GC is a doubt. Ofcourse comparing an SUV and Sedan is like comparing Apples with Orange. But i just record my thoughts on this two cars.

Since i dint took a test drive, i couldnt comment on drivability factor.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 17:19   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
within 2 months.

RXL, within 3 months is what i was told.

i have chosen the RXE, basically the base diesel spec. Longest waiting period.

Last edited by Ash_vtec : 21st January 2013 at 17:20. Reason: spelling.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:09   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
... but I'm not sure if the boot in the Ecosport even half the size of the Duster's. The pic in the Ford website says "Great trunk space to carry your world along" but fails to mention the capacity. The rear seat seems folded forward to make the boot 'large'

The Ford Brazil website says 362 liters expandable to 705 with seats folded down. Compare this to the Duster's 475 liters & 1064 liters with seats down!
I have already posted this on the Ecosport thread. Posting here for your reference as well. The boot space seems good enough, although not as humongous as Duster's.

And here's the link to the website.

http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/features/smart
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-1212013-75358-pm.jpg  

Last edited by saleem_k : 21st January 2013 at 20:10. Reason: adding link to the pic
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 20:53   #1975
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidino View Post
We recently bought Duster 85 RXL. The car is with my folks and I live elsewhere. As per my brother, there is a very faint rattle coming from the engine. I guess being Diesel, this would be normal?

Did any other 85 ps owner notice this engine rattle? This is our first Diesel vehicle, so we are not really sure what engine sound is normal and what should be a cause for concern.

Would greatly appreciate any inputs.

Thanks !
As a rule diesel engines have to be a lot noisier than petrols. If you have been only driving petrol cars I guess it only takes a little getting used to. The Renault's engine is actually less noisier than my Fiat's.

It is difficult to comment without hearing the noise. You can always compare it with some other Duster in your area. If not, the service center should be able to clear your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I have already posted this on the Ecosport thread. Posting here for your reference as well. The boot space seems good enough, although not as humongous as Duster's.

And here's the link to the website.

http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/features/smart
I haven't seen that thread essentially because the Ecosport never figured in my plans. Need to get my eyes checked I wonder how I missed that washing machine in the boot. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2013 at 11:23. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
woodcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:53   #1976
BHPian

Renaults used the 'car of the year-2012' award given in Team-BHP, in its advertisement in today's newspaper, The Hindu, in Chennai edition, under the heading of 'Consumer Forums and Regionals'. Shall we expect, will Renault, also consider the opinions of the Team-BHP members regarding various issues like overpricing, poor after sale service, etc?
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:58   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskesavan
Renaults used the 'car of the year-2012' award given in Team-BHP, in its advertisement in today's newspaper, The Hindu, in Chennai edition, under the heading of 'Consumer Forums and Regionals'. Shall we expect, will Renault, also consider the opinions of the Team-BHP members regarding various issues like overpricing, poor after sale service, etc?
No they will not. Marketing is a field where honesty and feedbacks are termed hazardous. I am hoping that ecosport will give serious competition to duster. This might result in better QC for duster. Or may be better service for niggles we are facing. Afterall, who else to advertise duster's prowess and good service except real owners. So yay to competition, good luck ford.
Old 24th January 2013, 20:18   #1978

Got my Renault Duster 85 RXL (o) this Sunday

Forgot to check one small detail with the dealer. Is he supposed to issue me a PUC ? How long can I drive my car without getting a PUC ?

I have heard that new cars do not require a PUC for 6 months from the date of registration, but is that supposed to be backed by some provisional certificate issued by the dealer ?
Old 24th January 2013, 22:12   #1979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
I have heard that new cars do not require a PUC for 6 months from the date of registration, but is that supposed to be backed by some provisional certificate issued by the dealer ?

I think its one year and not six months. But still good to confirm. Last but not least congrats. How was the wait period?
Renault sure looks like did not anticipate the sales of 85 bhp to be high.

Last edited by ampere : 24th January 2013 at 22:14.
Old 24th January 2013, 22:42   #1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its one year and not six months. But still good to confirm. Last but not least congrats. How was the wait period?
Renault sure looks like did not anticipate the sales of 85 bhp to be high.
Thanks ! I waited for close to 3 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks