Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 10:07   #2821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
I normally slow down around 3 to 4 mins before reaching the destination and keep the rpm close to 1.5 and then after stalling keep it on idle for 20 to 30 seconds; so don't think the turbo can fail coz of this. On a cold start I let it idle for 30 sec to 1 min. Hoping that turbo should be fine.
Yep - that actual idea is that if you are driving in the turbo zone for a good time (on highways) and then you suddenly come to stop and switch off before allowing the turbo to cool off - This will damage the turbo. Most of the time when you are in the parking, the cooling off would be taken care of. Add another 20-30 seconds of idle (switching off A/C, music system, winding up windows, removing seat belts etc) would take care of turbo.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th June 2014 at 10:08.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:14   #2822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Just back from a 700 Kms trip to Kanatal in the truck. Performed exceptionally well while going there however faced a weird issue while coming back. Came back through the worst traffic jams and dirt roads I have ever seen around rourkee and modinagar. The funny thing is, after about 2 hours of driving in traffic jams in 1st and 2nd gear, I could not feel the turbo working at all. The engine became noisy and even through the truck reached a speed of 100 kph, it was a struggle to do so. What could be the reason for this. Also, can dust be a contributing factor here? Need your quick inputs guys.
Dear storme'd - thanks for the input. I am not going on the defensive (so don't jump on me) , but did you fill fuel before this started? Has it settled down now or is it still continuing? Your post is dated yesterday, hence I am asking.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th June 2014, 11:29   #2823
Senior - BHPian

I get goosebumps every time I see this poster of the US Navy, and thought how cool it would be to simply add an "e" to the second Storm .....

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cc037c47b8e680f570ce580fd5db5f02.jpg

Maybe a sticker like this on my back bumper ......
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 12:38   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Guys if all goes according to plan, should be booking my Storme VX 4x2 pearl white tomorrow.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 14:44   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Guys if all goes according to plan, should be booking my Storme VX 4x2 pearl white tomorrow.
Sir, I don't know if you believe in astrology, but it would be a good time to buy your Storme after the Mercury Retrograde. It began June 7th ends July 2nd. I don't mean that right now may necessarily be a bad time. Sorry if OT

Does the Storme also come in two white shades Pearl and Regular like the Dicor?
Vijayraj1890 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 17:46   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear storme'd - thanks for the input. I am not going on the defensive (so don't jump on me) , but did you fill fuel before this started? Has it settled down now or is it still continuing? Your post is dated yesterday, hence I am asking.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Thanks Behram, yes, I had filled fuel probably an hour before this started. The engine does still sound little noisy compared to normal and still not getting the beautiful kick of the turbo. I am taking it to Tass to get it checked. Hope it's something minor.
Old 10th June 2014, 19:01   #2827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayraj1890 View Post
Sir, I don't know if you believe in astrology, but it would be a good time to buy your Storme after the Mercury Retrograde. It began June 7th ends July 2nd. I don't mean that right now may necessarily be a bad time...
You may probably wait another month after the mentioned time and you could probably get your hands on the latest version as well?
Old 10th June 2014, 19:56   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You may probably wait another month after the mentioned time and you could probably get your hands on the latest version as well?
if by the latest version you mean the mythical update.....well Ive heard stories ranging from July to Jan'15. Dunno how long to wait.

So I'm like,what the hell, go for it. If the interior update is mindblowing,,,,,my bad luck....but at least the basic truck will be the same.

On the engine front, frankly how much diff will 150 Bhp make over 140 Bhp in a 2 tonne truck? its not like TML is plonking a six speed tranny.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 09:29   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
if by the latest version you mean the mythical update.....well Ive heard stories ranging from July to Jan'15. Dunno how long to wait.

So I'm like,what the hell, go for it. If the interior update is mindblowing,,,,,my bad luck....but at least the basic truck will be the same.

On the engine front, frankly how much diff will 150 Bhp make over 140 Bhp in a 2 tonne truck? its not like TML is plonking a six speed tranny.
Himanshu see if you can wait atleast till the EOM. That way the stars are happy (as per one of the earlier posts ) and also helps cross the timeline the Hyd dealer told me for the new vehicle launch i.e. EOM.
xbox360 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 10:34   #2830
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10 Ho may not make any difference, but LUK clutch may make a difference
Old 11th June 2014, 10:47   #2831
Senior - BHPian

Guys a couple of funny things -

1) Like clockwork now over the last 5-6 refills i alternately get 130 odd kms then next fill 150+ kms then again next fill 130 odd followed once again by 150+.

This cycle is repeating. I have been filling at the same (RTO COCO or Nehru Memorial) bunks. The fill yesterday I changed (per a diesel fan friend's recommendation) to the Bhairoba Nalla police chowky petrol pump.

Why this cycling? Its basically working out to 8.5 kmpl one refill followed by 10 kmpl the next, and repeat!

Voodoo?!!!!

2) From the time my rear shockers were changed in warranty I have felt that the truck is "softer" at the rear while cornering. i.e. it sways/dips more to the side on the outside of the curve while cornering. And its perceptionally more on the rear right.

Also driving in a straight line, on a slightly undulating road, I get the feeling of the truck dipping/bobbing to the right, and even my seat slightly sloping to the right. Both very slight -but its gotten into my head now.

Now I don't know if its the level of the ground where I park, but even from the rear I somehow feel the truck looks a tad lower on the right than the left. I tried measuring the gap between the top of the tyre at the curve of the wheel well cladding as well to check and its a couple of cm less on the right rear. Again don't know if the truck was tilting because of the slop of the ground where it was parked.

Could this have something to do wiith a weak new rear right shocker, straight from the factory/vendor? How can this be checked for sure? I mean, if the shocker looks perfect from the outside and there is no visible leak?

Dear Behram

Could you please advise on this as well?
Old 11th June 2014, 14:57   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I tried measuring the gap between the top of the tyre at the curve of the wheel well cladding as well to check and its a couple of cm less on the right rear. Again don't know if the truck was tilting because of the slop of the ground where it was parked.
In think the effect of ground slope can be ruled-out by checking the gaps again with vehicle parked in opposite direction (rear wheels resting at same place).
Also, difference in stiffness of springs can be checked by measuring "wheel well to ground gap" in Unloaded as well as Heavily loaded vehicle, and comparing the incremental compression of Left and Right (with Left and Right wheels at same air pressure).
YGarg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:04   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Instructed my admin to book the storme Vx 4x2 pearl white. Should get delivery in about 10 days since I insisted on a factory fresh piece.

Final deal was cash disc of 42 k plus touch screen audio (21k) and fifth alloy (6.5k) free
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:26   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instructed my admin to book the storme Vx 4x2 pearl white. Should get delivery in about 10 days since I insisted on a factory fresh piece.

Final deal was cash disc of 42 k plus touch screen audio (21k) and fifth alloy (6.5k) free

Congrats Himanshu and you have got a very good deal as well. Pearl White is my personal favourite and almost booked the same colour in Lx but an additional discount on an "in stock " silver made me change my decision

1) Is the touch screen the same as the explorer edition version ? Did you find it user friendly ? If not why dont you just take an additional cash discount and go for an aftermarket unit ?

2) Isnt the spare wheel an alloy in the Vx ? I am surprised it isnt

3) I presume you have to fix the speakers after market ?
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:39   #2835
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Himanshu, you have got a good deal, much on the lines of what I got, in all probability getting my truck tomorrow.
garyag79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks