Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:50   #4576
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hi, i am trying to get my battery changed through batterybhai.com. Can any one let me know the exact Ah of the oem battery in the GT TSI so that i can change it to a similar Ah. Thanks.

Last edited by drpudhi : 22nd April 2017 at 10:54.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:42   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I have a few questions.

1. When you were using Brembo rotors + Black pads, what were the rotors - plain, slotted or drilled?
2. How much life did the rotors give you before they warped? Did the pads also wear out completely by the time the rotors warped?
3. Are you having the solid rotors + red pads in the current setup?

If my understanding is correct, black pads provide better braking, but result in quicker brake wear, right?
1. I have always used pain rotors only.

2. The rotors started warping after around 16k by which time the pads had 50 percent life left. However, by the next 5k the pads were totally gone. I guess the warped rotors played a part here.

3. Yes, currently it's Brembo's plain rotors with the red pads.

The black has a softer compound resulting in better braking but the down side being that they tend to wear out faster as well. However, for the kind of braking it offered me, I think I will go back to that setup again sooner than later. Contemplating the same setup for my Polo as well, even though Polo gets to see the highway rarely.
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:54   #4578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi, i am trying to get my battery changed through batterybhai.com. Can any one let me know the exact Ah of the oem battery in the GT TSI so that i can change it to a similar Ah. Thanks.
Doc, it is 60 Ah for the Polo. I had mine swapped last month to an Amaron Flo 60 Ah model.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:59   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
I called up my dealership yesterday to enquire about the front armrest. They quoted Rs. 6000 for it. They also said, they have a black one and a grey one. Which one suits the GT TSI? The dealership person was suggesting black. I have set up an appointment at 3 PM today. Is there anything I should watch out for during installation?
Asitkde, I had the black one installed as OEM even before taking delivery of my GT. I can assure it matches the interiors far better than the other option, the beige. AFAIK, there is not grey option for polo/vento armrests, only black and light beige. So, kindly confirm with you dealer before you make the payment. Anything less than OE, do not go for it. Also, the cost seems to be similar to what I paid, mine was 6700/- with labour charges. So, it's more likely that the dealer has OE product but misquoted the color options. Also, before taking delivery, check if the armrest is sturdy enough to bear some weight, also it locks in at different height levels, check for that too,
Cheers,
Welcome to the GT family.

Last edited by Doc_nikhil : 22nd April 2017 at 12:16.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:04   #4580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Doc, it is 60 Ah for the Polo. I had mine swapped last month to an Amaron Flo 60 Ah model.
Thanks Ganesh. Have ordered the same from battery bhai. And within an hour got call from my local guy. He is on the way with the battery.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd April 2017 at 14:37. Reason: Removing unwanted dots after each sentence. Please take care next time. :)
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:15   #4581
BHPian

Quote:
In India, it costs close to 48K. It costs 216 GBP in awesomegti website. But the shipping is another 175 GBP. With customs it would cost close to 42K.

Disc will cost you around 24k including duty (216GBP+30%), shipping will cost 75 GBP that is another 7k, you can land it in India for around 31k. These are the details I have taken from Awesome GTI. And Pete's sell them for 38k as far as I'm aware.

I'm yet to decide on pads due to the heavy pricing. I may go for stock pads only.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:00   #4582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Asitkde, I had the black one installed as OEM even before taking delivery of my GT. I can assure it matches the interiors far better than the other option, the beige. AFAIK, there is not grey option for polo/vento armrests, only black and light beige. So, kindly confirm with you dealer before you make the payment. Anything less than OE, do not go for it. Also, the cost seems to be similar to what I paid, mine was 6700/- with labour charges. So, it's more likely that the dealer has OE product but misquoted the color options. Also, before taking delivery, check if the armrest is sturdy enough to bear some weight, also it locks in at different height levels, check for that too,
Cheers,
Welcome to the GT family.
Great Advice, Doc_nikhil.

I got the black armrest (original VW product) installed in my car. Very nice unit, good quality stuff. You were right, they had only black and beige (not grey).

By the way, I also got the reverse camera installed at the dealership. According to their description, they had to install a kit for some RCD330+ (instead of just RCD330) functionalities. I have no idea whether they took me for a ride or not. But the camera looks like factory fitted and the image quality is quite good. And they did not have to drill any hole to the bumper. I shall post pictures later.

The whole installation took only about an hour or so. I used that time to move around the showroom with special attention to the GTI. I sat inside and the seats are really supportive.
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:23   #4583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Disc will cost you around 24k including duty (216GBP+30%), shipping will cost 75 GBP that is another 7k, you can land it in India for around 31k. These are the details I have taken from Awesome GTI. And Pete's sell them for 38k as far as I'm aware.

I'm yet to decide on pads due to the heavy pricing. I may go for stock pads only.
A landing cost of 31K should be definitely manageable. The 175GBP shipping cost I got was for the rotors + pads. Maybe the pads are heavier than the rotors and shipping for only the rotors would be less. I have written to them asking what is the shipping cost just for the rotors. Will update once I get a response.

Not sure how the performance would be with stock pads and Tarox rotors. Pads are the most important components in braking. You may not get the best results for the money you are spending on the Tarox rotors with stock pads.

Isn't the duty worked out for the material cost + shipping cost?
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:39   #4584
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Introduces Polo GT Sport!

The new Sport variant is based on the GT TSI and comes with sportier aesthetic additions along with bigger wheels.

Quote:
Comes with 16-inch ‘Burnished’ alloy wheels, which are a size larger than the stock Polo and the GT as well
Features new a side decals with ‘GT Sport’ label, while the existing ‘GT TSI’ badging on the C-pillar and the ‘GT’ moniker on the grille are also present
Gets the all-black OVRMs from the GT variant, and additionally comes with contrasting glossy black roof
Features a new larger black spoiler
Comes with all-black leatherette upholstery with ‘GT Sport’ embossed. The GT, in contrast, offers dual-tone fabric upholstery
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-volkswagen0.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd April 2017 at 19:42.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 19:48   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
A landing cost of 31K should be definitely manageable. The 175GBP shipping cost I got was for the rotors + pads.
They quoted me 175 GBP shipping charge for Rotors and a full suspension kit, so even if the pads weigh more it looks steep. 😁 Shipping cost for rotors alone is 77 GBP.

Yes, we need to use tarox pads for better braking.

I assume the duty is on product invoice and does not apply on shipping charge.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:38   #4586
BHPian

Quote:
1. Has anyone faced such a problem? What things did you do to fix this? Did something simple as brake bleeding or changing to a better brake fluid solve the issue?
I have faced this problem multiple times and effectively resulted in replacement of discs before their service life (i.e. before minimum thicknes was reached). Our GT TDI has clocked close to 1.1 lakh KMs now.

In my opinion it is due to the inferior quality of the brake discs being supplied by TVS-Brakes India to VW. I suspect the rotor to be a bigger problem than the pads themeselves. The disc rotors act as heat sinks. Larger the braking force/energy demanded by driver, larger the heating and the rotors should be able to dissipate the same (within definite time limits). I believe the rotors supplied by TVS-Brakes India don't do this properly. After replacement with a new OE set of pads/rotors, problems always used to start with a high speed brake application (higher braking demand effectively, heat soaked, starts shuddering, warping etc).

When you change only the brake pads to better ones (here Brembo), you are still limited by the heat sink (rotor). For the same braking pressure (at the pedals), a better pad will generate greater braking force and thereby more heat. However the OE TVS rotors are still not up to the job of dissipating this heat (let alone the lesser heat with OE pads).

I had switched to OE Brembo replacement discs (regular disc) and OE Brembo replacement pads (red ones). The problems of heat soaking / brake discs shuddering early into service life etc has been solved and braking has improved. Is it still sufficient for the power/torque on tap - nope.

VW should have provided the 288m front discs (and discs at rear) for the GT cars, as is the case in other markets which use the powertrain. We get the lesser 256mm front rotors and drums at the rear.
Quote:
2. Is the brake fluid used in the GT dot3 or dot4? If it is dot3, would changing to dot4 improve braking?
It is DOT4.

While DOT4 has superior boiling points (both wet and dry) over DOT3, the problems of poor braking in OE setup of Polo is not a due to limitations of the brake fluid. Going to superior DOT 5.1 won't solve the problem either as it not a case of brake fluid boiling temp limits being exceeded. Periodic brake fluid replacement (first at 3 years and then every 2 years) is sufficient.
Quote:
3. Has anyone tried Brembo drilled or slotted rotors? How is the performance and life?
I haven't used them. However, the life of both performance pads and rotors will be lesser. Using a slotted rotor ('Brembo Max') or a drilled rotor ('Brembo Xtra') will reduce the life of OE pads more than regular rotors. I would say that the Brembo Xtra are more for aesthetics. Here in EU, as I have sampled, Brembo Max (slotted) rotors along with performance pads (black ones) have better braking than stock units. In India I have heard mixed stories, some claims of fake products etc. I would suggest you to first start with regular OE Brembo replacement rotors and pads (red ones). Do keep in mind that most of the performance pads / rotors are often less effective than OE replacements at colder temperatures / normal driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
May be changing to PS3 will make a heck of a lot of difference.
Michelin PS3s are not available in 205/55 R15 or 205/50 R16 sizes. Actually none of the top spec performance tyres (PS3s, Conti SC3 or SC5, Yoko Advan Sports, Hankook V12/S1 evo2 etc) are available in that size in India.
Quote:
I won't suggest changing rotors, try the EBC yellowstuff pads.
Using any of the performance pads in conjunction with OE TVS rotors won't produce the desired increase in braking performance. In fact they will just result in the OE rotors going bad earlier.

Quote:
The tires are 205/55/R15 Conti MC5s. They have run just 11000 kilometers. The tires offer very good grip. Braking while the brake system is cold is very good. Only when the brakes get hot from a few repeated braking, the fade happens. ......
The EBC yellow stuff pads are my choice as well. Unfortunately, VW has changed the brake pad size and shape (it is called type 2 in Brembo dealer site) and EBC yellow stuff is not yet available for type 2. I heard that they may be available in August.
Yup Conti MC5 is pretty much the best tyre we can get for Polo in that size. I had run two sets of Yoko S-drives prior to MC5. Yoko grip levels (both wet and dry) are good, but quite noisy. I also downsized from 205/50 R16 to 205/55 R15 and finds it a better setup.

It is true that they changed pad shape (type 2 as the Brembo distributors calls it). Brembo has a very user friendly catalogue, you should check it if you haven't already. Brembo Catalagoue -Europe/EN.
For VAG CKD cars, part numbers match perfectly. However for models like the GT with parts sourced in India, there is limitation in finding part numbers for pads (not properly updated in the catalogue). For example type 2 pads is essentially Brembo# P 85121. This is listed against Polo Saloon and not the hatchback (make sense, same inventory for Polo n Vento). Rotor part numbers (whether for regular, UV coated, slotted, drilled etc) match perfectly with EU catalogue. However the distributor in Goa do ask for VIN confirmation before shipping.

As I said above, your problems of brake fade after repeated application is the same faced by me too. I can only attribute it to a heat soaked rotor (whether due to material choices or manufacturing process, we will never know).
Quote:
If my understanding is correct, black pads provide better braking, but result in quicker brake wear, right?
Yes blacks pads are the performance variants, they bite better when hot but wears out faster.

Quote:
Not sure how the performance would be with stock pads and Tarox rotors. Pads are the most important components in braking. You may not get the best results for the money you are spending on the Tarox rotors with stock pads.
Pads are rotors are equally important. Having a pad with stronger bite won't yield better braking if the rotor can't dissipate the extra heat. Converse also holds true. If both are not matched properly you are effectively creating a bottleneck and never achieving the maximum capabilities of either component.

Last edited by avinash_clt : 22nd April 2017 at 20:49. Reason: avoiding back-to-back posts
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:22   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Great Advice, Doc_nikhil.

I got the black armrest (original VW product) installed in my car...By the way, I also got the reverse camera installed at the dealership. s later...The whole installation took only about an hour or so....I used that time to move around the showroom with special attention to the GTI. I sat inside and the seats are really supportive.
You are absolutely correct, the seats as well as the fabric used appears to be superior to the Indian GT. I myself had a chance to sit inside one of them during my booking visit to VW. Also, the indicator/wiper stalks appear to be more upmarket, similar to the ones on superb, but, they do charge us a bomb for the 1.8TSI. My sales rep did tell me a lot of GTI enquiries were converted to a GT TSI buy finally. Do not know how much of that is really true though.

I'm curious about the 330G+ Software update done. So our stock 330G does support video input? Was there a video input at the back of our unit? Was planning on a flipcam like how Graaja sir has, but I was under the impression that we needed to change the HU to 330G+. Also, if you do not mind, can you share the cost of the Rear view camera install? Is it covered by warranty, as the install was done by the showroom itself?
Cheers!
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:46   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
I'm curious about the 330G+ Software update done. So our stock 330G does support video input? Was there a video input at the back of our unit? Was planning on a flipcam like how Graaja sir has, but I was under the impression that we needed to change the HU to 330G+. Also, if you do not mind, can you share the cost of the Rear view camera install? Is it covered by warranty, as the install was done by the showroom itself?
I believe, in addition to the camera, they added a little piece of hardware (that's what I meant by the kit in my previous post) to the 330G that's present in my GT TSI. That is what the accessories manager told me so that some functionalities ( I suppose having to do with video display) of the 330G+ were made available after its addition. He also made a reference to the HU and reverse camera in Ameo.

Together the two installations cost me a total of Rs 17k (inclusive of labour, taxes etc). I did not check the individual break-up. The receipt is in my car 13 floors down. Will look at it and tell you. Probably the break-up is 6k+11k.

I am not sure if the accessories have the same warranty as the car itself even if the accessories are OEM and are all installed at the showroom. Of course, they have some warranty. Let me find out on Monday, and I shall let you know.
asitkde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:07   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
I believe, in addition to the camera, they added a little piece of hardware (that's what I meant by the kit in my previous post) to the 330G that's present in my GT TSI. That is what the accessories manager told me so that some functionalities ( I suppose having to do with video display) of the 330G+ were made available after its addition. He also made a reference to the HU and reverse camera in Ameo.

Together the two installations cost me a total of Rs 17k (inclusive of labour, taxes etc). I did not check the individual break-up. The receipt is in my car 13 floors down. Will look at it and tell you. Probably the break-up is 6k+11k.

I am not sure if the accessories have the same warranty as the car itself even if the accessories are OEM and are all installed at the showroom. Of course, they have some warranty. Let me find out on Monday, and I shall let you know.
Ok, thank you so much. If it's a good set up for 17k then it seems like a really good deal. As for the warranty, I was referring to the electrical warranty of the car, as VW is known for cancelling the warranty for something as simple as hardwiring the cigarette adapter.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 23:13   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hi. Finally changed the oem batteries to the amaron hi flo 60 Ah model. The process as such was very smooth without much hiccups. But i was in for a rude shock while changing the battery. When he removed the oem battery, it was a 36 Ah rated battery Since mine was from the first lot of GT TSI, was the battery upgraded later to 60 Ah ones ? Not sure, any of the GT TSI owners could throw some light. But anyhow went ahead and replaced it with the 60 Ah model from amaron as i have already paid for it online and since its widely used by members here, hope there wouldn't be a problem.

PS: was using my WP mobile for the previous post and its really a pain to use its mobile browser hence the formatting issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks