Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 14:01   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

In fact they specifically tell you to avoid fuels with additives for the 1.8 TSi. I think all that matters is the RON of 90+ which is normal BS4 fuel in India.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 14:10   #512
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
VW is recommending premium fuel and min 90 RON. What is the RON of shell regular and shell super?
My Superb 1.8TSI runs just fine on regular (91 RON) petrol. So I don't think you should use any petrol with additives as the injectors are sensitive on these German's.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:20   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
My Superb 1.8TSI runs just fine on regular (91 RON) petrol. So I don't think you should use any petrol with additives as the injectors are sensitive on these German's.
Does your Superb have the DQ200 DSG as well? If so, how has it been serving you?
Old 10th May 2013, 14:23   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Does your Superb have the DQ200 DSG as well? If so, how has it been serving you?
Nope, I took a 6 speed manual variant due to all these issues. Hayek has the one with a DQ 200 and he has already listed his issues in many threads although overall he seems to be happy with his vehicle.
Old 10th May 2013, 15:48   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
The attitude that if you can live with it, its OK. Otherwise get lost, of VW/Skoda is exactly what people here are cribbing about. It's arrogant to say that if you want a good car, you have to suffer the ASS horror. Most of us just want to know why we can't have an excellent car like Polo GT and have some peace of mind too. Is it too much to ask for ?

People complaining here are not the naysayers who are searching for reasons, but rather those who vent their frustration that an excellent car comes with so many strings attached.
Not particularly.. its more of a realistic view of things.. We all can wish VAG could offer the Honda level/pricing of after sales service, and the Toyota level of bulletproof engineering, but thats a wish.

Its not arrogance, but a honest on the ground opinion of the realistic decision parameters for buying a VAG car.

We all can wish for peace of mind with the Polo GT but reality is different than that and honestly I dont see it changing in the near future, even if we all bombard VW with emails/letters etc. So the idea is to question yourself on if all things aside - "Am I willing to put up with the potential of these issues cropping up (service,warranty,failures) or not." Its a realistic question based on real on the ground facts rather than a wishlist of things that are not there at present, not is there any indication of happening in the near future.

At the end of the day, a decision taken based on realitites is far better than a decision taken based on 'wish list' expectations. thats all :-)
Old 10th May 2013, 15:52   #516
Senior - BHPian

Talking of heat and humidity, I wonder whether Delhi weather is good or bad for the DQ200 - extreme heat but dry.

Last edited by StarScream : 10th May 2013 at 15:55.
Old 11th May 2013, 00:40   #517

After a lot of reading & test driving , I was planning to book the vento highline tdi this weekend (thanks to its "kick in the pants" torque). But ever since i laid my eyes on the paper advertisement for the GT, I am rethinking my decision. Abbreviations like TSI,DSG & ESP was enough to get me . My monthly running is 1500-1600km with a petrol bill of 9-10k with a Swift vxi. Logically diesel is still preferable but vento at the end of the day is a grown up sedan. Now my heart says, to go for the GT TSi for the sheer fun. We are a family of 3 and we are not fascinated with owning a sedan. So with my monthly running of 1500/month over 5 years is it worth buying this car?
Secondly, I also asked one of my friend who was an ex-employee JMD skoda (Navi mumbai) regarding the failure of the DQ200 in the superb/Laura. He said, there were numerous failure until 2011. Apparently this issue has been resolved . Can anyone reconfirm this ?
Old 11th May 2013, 01:09   #518
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have booked a Flash Red GT yesterday and yes, I do know what I am getting into. Local temperature today was 43degC, humidity of 85% and the traffic was crazy, is it the perfect recipe for disaster? I hope not.
I guess sometimes you just go for things with your heart and in most case either it will be the best thing that ever happened to you or your worst nightmare.
The above line can fit relationships as well!

I have told the SA, that I will keep my options open on the insurance front. Meanwhile checked up with Policybazaar.com but seems like they are not upto date with GT release, so they said will get back tomorrow.

Also I would want to highlight how the SA and his manager are planning to take customer for a ride. You see I Test drove a Red GT which had temporary registration plates and all it was driven a total of 55kms. Now when I booked a red polo, they were trying to sell this off the same piece back to me, and now it's done 300+ km and lot of sudden acceleration and braking. How can they use a car allotted for selling as a TD car?

They only have a White GT in stock and my car could take a week or two according to the SA. Now the waiting begins!

Have you guys checked out the new Polo GT TVC? it's been running for couple of days now.

Cheers,
D.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 01:43   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Hi guys,
I have booked a Flash Red GT yesterday and yes, I do know what I am getting into. Local temperature today was 43degC, humidity of 85% and the traffic was crazy, is it the perfect recipe for disaster? I hope not.
I guess sometimes you just go for things with your heart and in most case either it will be the best thing that ever happened to you or your worst nightmare.
The above line can fit relationships as well!

I have told the SA, that I will keep my options open on the insurance front. Meanwhile checked up with Policybazaar.com but seems like they are not upto date with GT release, so they said will get back tomorrow.

Also I would want to highlight how the SA and his manager are planning to take customer for a ride. You see I Test drove a Red GT which had temporary registration plates and all it was driven a total of 55kms. Now when I booked a red polo, they were trying to sell this off the same piece back to me, and now it's done 300+ km and lot of sudden acceleration and braking. How can they use a car allotted for selling as a TD car?

They only have a White GT in stock and my car could take a week or two according to the SA. Now the waiting begins!

Have you guys checked out the new Polo GT TVC? it's been running for couple of days now.

Cheers,
D.
Congrats !

So you've booked it in vellore or chennai ? Also do put up the total OTR with the breakage. Looking forward to your ownership review soon.
Old 11th May 2013, 02:22   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats !

So you've booked it in vellore or chennai ? Also do put up the total OTR with the breakage. Looking forward to your ownership review soon.
Hi there,
Thanks, I have booked it with Volkswagen Vellore, they opened up shop 8months back, used to be Susee Hyundai!!
You can find the OTR and break up Here

Please do share any quotes you get from your local dealer. Ownership review shall be up and running, say within 48hrs of delivery!

Cheers,
D
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 05:25   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi there,
Thanks, I have booked it with Volkswagen Vellore, they opened up shop 8months back, used to be Susee Hyundai!!

Please do share any quotes you get from your local dealer. Ownership review shall be up and running, say within 48hrs of delivery!

Cheers,
D
Congratulations.

Any idea if buying In vellore & taking it to blr will be worth it? I suspect not but, of harm asking ;-)
Old 11th May 2013, 09:11   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
The cost we pay while buying and maintaining the Germans cars is not for the metal we are buying, but its for the R&D where they constantly spend their time and money while developing new products. Before fixing the issues in previous product, they end up bringing new range of products. This is the progressive nature they have, thats why we don't see 100% reliable product from them.

If you appreciate that, buy German products otherwise leave them and live peacefully.
I agree and I don't agree too, I agree that the Germans do charge us heavily for the tech that they put in their cars, but to me that's pretty reasonable. About bringing new products in the market, I think the Germans are pretty slow, and we cant really judge their 'progress' rate because it has just been about 4 years since VW seriously entered India. Skoda was there for long, and they sold the Octavia for some 7-8 years. And they are still selling the Fabia since 2008 and the only replacement was the diesel engine, that's anything but sense of progress
Germans have always had this unreliable tag to them, but they make the best cars in the world, and people buy them in huge numbers for they provide much more than the Japs or the Koreans do. But to some, reliability is top priority, and there is a Maruti Suzuki for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Easy way out for the naysayers. Buy a brio at, rev it past 5krpm, and enjoy the power, reliability and warranty.. oh and get blown by a Polo TSI driving by at 2k rpm. See its simple, buy the car if you can deal with the brand irregularities, like I do with 2 Lauras (TSI n VRS). Or buy a honda or toyota and call it a day. We can go on for all time with the wht ifs and why nots, but this is the equation for the Polo TSI! Yes VW is a pain with warranty, Yes the DQ200 may still have issues to iron out for our climate, yes it costs more to maintain than the Japanese cars and Yes it will also blow away anything else on the road south of 13 lacs.

If you can live with the above equation, then the polo TSI is your car. If not it isnt.
Completely agree, if you can afford to live with a German, buy it, if you cant just go get yourself a Jap. There is a Japanese car for everyone in the market! I have a German and a Japanese both (read signature!) and the Polo has served me rather well over the two years, of course I did have a fuel leak issue once, but that wasn't major and promptly fixed, moreover they sent a flat bed real soon, without charge.
Maybe, we VW owners in Pune are lucky to have a dealer like BU Bhandari, they are amongst the best in the business! I've never had any issues in getting my car serviced and they have an excellent body/paint shop!

Quote:
The attitude that if you can live with it, its OK. Otherwise get lost, of VW/Skoda is exactly what people here are cribbing about. It's arrogant to say that if you want a good car, you have to suffer the ASS horror. Most of us just want to know why we can't have an excellent car like Polo GT and have some peace of mind too. Is it too much to ask for ?

People complaining here are not the naysayers who are searching for reasons, but rather those who vent their frustration that an excellent car comes with so many strings attached.
With all due respect, many here are just naysayers who have not test driven the TSI Polo and have never owned a VW, because once someone drives it, he/she would do anything but crib. And owning a VW isn't that difficult if you have a dealership and service centre in town. I know because me and my very close friends( two of them own Passats, one has a Jetta, and several Ventos!) are living with VWs, with different engines and different gearboxes, that too in different cities and everyone is happy! ASS has hardly been a horror to any of us. There is a difference in cribbing and complaining, why complain without first hand experience?!

VW gives more car for your money, for example the Swift diesel costs quite as much as a Polo TDI, I agree the Polo has a low on power engine, but if the car is primarily driven in the city, it hardly makes a difference, but apart from that the Polo is built heaps and miles better than the Swift, has better quality interiors, is at-par IMHO when comes to driving comfort and fun, and the driver has a better view of the road in the Polo, the Polo is more soothing to the eyes and has all the bells and whistles that a Swift has. Also, at least till date, VW has a better snob value, doesn't make sense to me but its a fact!

And I really wouldn't compare the TSI with any other hatch, at least till others get a turbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Yes, that it pretty much it.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but aren't the manufacturers expected to test their cars and drivetrains extensively before launching it for the customers?
If VW found the fact that hot and humid climate has an adverse effect on the workings of the DQ200, it should not have released it in Asia.
I am better off in a less pleasurable, but more reliable torque converter if VW can't make the DQ200 cope up with Indian climate.
Yes they have to compulsorily do that, and I am pretty sure that a manufacturer as big as VW might not have skipped it. Correct me if I am wrong, the DQ200 has failed with just one engine world over, that too only till 2011. Maybe it just wasn't suitable for that particular engine, and hopefully it will be better matched with others! A torque convertor would have diluted the TSI engine's fun, to me the DSG gearbox is the best replacement for a manual.

VW had a torque converter ready, and they could have made better margins if they went ahead and used it, but then we wouldn't be happy to pay 7.99 lakh, would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
To be fair and equal to common man, this bit of news about the DSG failures should be made public in India. VW should stand up and accept that there could be potential issues to the DSG box in the newly launched Polo GT, and if there are any, they should guarantee a time-specific, no-nonsense, hassle-free, one-stop-shop fix to it. Which surprisingly or otherwise, isn't there yet!

So the question is are there any real takers who, knowing about the general troublesome nature of the DQ200 box without any immediate and permanent fix, are willing to take the plunge and invest in the 9L+ Polo GT?
The gearbox has been promptly replaced by Skoda on most Superbs under warranty and at times as a goodwill gesture. The timing of the failure is anybody's luck! I think they didn't call for a recall in India because the market for a car that expensive is really small, though Superb is decently common car, I doubt if more than 10% are TSI DSGs. The markets where VW has recalled cars are much bigger and probably they sold a considerable number of TSI DSGs, so less than 10% of 300 cars sold every month is less than 30 cars!

I am no VW-Skoda advocate but yes I like their cars, and I think they should be given a fair chance, the DQ200 just failed in one car and everybody who has owned or not is unhappy about it. Many manufacturers have cars that are not even designed thoughtfully!

About real takers, if I had the money right now, I would happily exchange my diesel Polo for the TSI. Not that I think it is overpriced!

Quote:
Hi there,

Cheers,
D
Congratulations, you just got the best hatchback in the country, and yes I think its better than the more expensive ones too!

Last edited by 599gto : 11th May 2013 at 09:13.
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 19:32   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
I did ask the SA to send me a copy of the warranty document, to which he reluctantly agreed, but I'm sure he's never going to send it. The only way to get it is after buying the car.
If there was truly an extended warranty in the offing, I (as VW) would be shouting from the rooftops so as to convince skeptical buyers
Old 11th May 2013, 20:24   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If there was truly an extended warranty in the offing, I (as VW) would be shouting from the rooftops so as to convince skeptical buyers
According to the sales guy I talked to today when I went to check out the Polo TSI, it comes with a 2 yr unlimited kms warranty. What seems peculiar is that extended warranty is a 4 yr, 1 lakh km. That is 1 lakh kms for the whole 4 years. Is this accurate?

In China they offer a 10 yr warranty for the DQ200 DSG among others - http://www.cbt.com.my/2012/06/04/vw-...ars-160000-km/.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 11th May 2013, 21:14   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
What seems peculiar is that extended warranty is a 4 yr, 1 lakh km. That is 1 lakh kms for the whole 4 years. Is this accurate?
That is how they have been offering warranty for other models as well. Nothing pecular as far as terms are similar to their previous offerings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks