Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 14:46   #1576
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Thought of sharing this with TSI lovers ;-)

Our media car now has over 10k on the odo. We filled normal fuel during the journey - from Delhi, Mandi, Kangra and so on. Car didnt skip a beat on normal petrol. This is the same car we used for beating the Rajdhani last year.

Pointers for others from this trip:

1. Tyres are excellent - even on black ice and snow
2. Loads of power even at 9000 feet.
3. Temp display doesnt go below 0 degrees - it stays there! Noticed this twice.
4. Fuel economy display is off by 5% (shows more)
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-969876_10202875163935214_643755879_n-1.jpg  

BunnyPunia is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 02:03   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Thought of sharing this with TSI lovers ;-)

Our media car now has over 10k on the odo. We filled normal fuel during the journey - from Delhi, Mandi, Kangra and so on. Car didnt skip a beat on normal petrol. This is the same car we used for beating the Rajdhani last year.
Hi BunnyPunia,

Thanks for the update and glad to see the car excelling in such adverse condition.
Could you please mention which tyres your media car was sporting? Stock?

The Picture of this GT is wearing 8837 on its plates whereas the car photographed in your web article is wearing 8835. Are you sure they are the same?

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by delta5 : 26th March 2014 at 02:04.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 15:43   #1578

I have booked a Polo TSI 6 months back and still waiting without any clue.

I am from Trivandrum. My SA says there is a long waiting list and they are not being delivered any cars. He got only 2 cars in the past 6 months. I don't believe him fully but then I have seen only one Polo TSI in Trivandrum till date.

I understand from the posts here that there is not much delay in cities like Bangalore. I would like to hear from others, especially from non Tier 1 cities, about the approximate waiting period.
Old 27th March 2014, 20:32   #1579
BHPian

5000 km update of my GT TSI : (Couldn't come up with a review due to really hectic work schedule and am sure won't be able to do justice to the standard of reviews here)

Was cursing myself for taking the GT TSI as my first test drive when i was looking for my own first car. Never even took another test drive of any other car. Still the reliability issues where lingering on my mind as am putting a bulk of my first earnings into this car. But everything just vanished into thin air once got delivery of it. Now, i can never even imagine a day in my life without TSI & DSG.

The car has been stock except for the tires which was changed to Primacy 3ST right out of showroom. Also have got Philips extreme vision bulbs as the stock headlights are pathetic to say the least.

Its been 4 1/2 months and have run 5321 kms. Be it the crawling traffic of PH road or the smooth chennai - erode highways, GT just amazes you. The D mode has been the go to mode. Have hardly needed the S mode more than half a dozen times. Did a few long drives and crossed the 5k mark this weekend when returning from erode. Got a phenomenal mileage of 18.4 on the return leg at speeds of 90-100 with occasional bursts for overtaking. So far so good. Hope it stays the same way. Thanks to all fellow BHPians for the timely advice and support.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20140326wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by drpudhi : 27th March 2014 at 20:33.
drpudhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 09:34   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby74 View Post
I have booked a Polo TSI 6 months back and still waiting without any clue.

I am from Trivandrum. My SA says there is a long waiting list and they are not being delivered any cars. He got only 2 cars in the past 6 months. I don't believe him fully but then I have seen only one Polo TSI in Trivandrum till date.

I understand from the posts here that there is not much delay in cities like Bangalore. I would like to hear from others, especially from non Tier 1 cities, about the approximate waiting period.
@bobby74

I have booked a TSI (Nov 2013), missed taking delivery in Jan as I was out of the country and now decided to wait for the facelift.

Facts are that the demand for TSI is far in excess of planned production. From what I understand, a big lot was released to complete booking backlogs in Bangalore, in January. Subsequently some deliveries were made in Feb. No deliveries I suspect in March. (source: VW Palace Cross SA)

If you had booked 6 months ago then at least in Bangalore you would have got yours by now.

I suggest you register a complaint to VW (I did that when I missed my delivery ). They take it seriously and you will know what's keeping them from delivering your car.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 20:37   #1581
BHPian

Has anyone installed an auto dimming interior rear view mirror? The stock manual one definitely needs an upgrade.

The auto dimming mirrors require certain type of wiring, which the stock TSI doesn't have. So how can we get the auto mirror to work? Does someone know of battery operated dimming mirrors?
Old 28th March 2014, 21:22   #1582
Senior - BHPian

The high waiting is because of super low production (VW best know the reason). If you ask VW dealers, they will tell you the countable number of GTs and TSIs that they have delivered so far. The overall sales numbers are very low.
Old 28th March 2014, 22:42   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The high waiting is because of super low production (VW best know the reason). If you ask VW dealers, they will tell you the countable number of GTs and TSIs that they have delivered so far. The overall sales numbers are very low.
The India head of VW gave the reason (for TSI) in an interview I do not recall where ......low availability of TSI engines for India because of high global demand.

Cheers,
Old 29th March 2014, 14:37   #1584
BHPian

Quick update on the First service(7,500 kms):
Dealer:
- VW Whitfield(Apple Auto) Bangalore.
Duration:
- It took almost 3 hours for the checkup/service
Details:
- Topped up the engine oil(Rs. 970)
- Rectified the AC problem: When I start the car, sometimes A/C used to reset to 22 degree. This was fixed by the service guy by resetting the A/C firmware(just keep the 2nd, 4th and 7th buttons pressed for few seconds. And then switch off and switch on the car)
- Car wash was done.

Got the extended warranty
2+2 years(1,00,000 kms) costed Rs 13,040(including the tax)

DSG Oil change(synthetic to Mineral):
According to the dealer they are still waiting for the official confirmation from VW.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 17:37   #1585
BHPian

So the Philips extreme vision bulbs were lying idle for some day for my lack of time to change those. Finally really got fed up with stock bulbs yesterday and decided to change it. First thought of going to the ASS to change it but didn't want to get out the house on a sunday. (I'm pretty lazy you know )

So decided to DIY. First went through the manual and they have steps for all types of headlights. Ours is the H4 with rubber back type. The steps were pretty simple. So went ahead and to my surprise changed both the bulbs in less than 10 minutes. It was really that simple. Will post if it has had any difference after few miles behind the wheel.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 11:27   #1586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
So the Philips extreme vision bulbs were lying idle for some day for my lack of time to change those. Finally really got fed up with stock bulbs yesterday and decided to change it....

So decided to DIY. First went through the manual and they have steps for all types of headlights. Ours is the H4 with rubber back type. The steps were pretty simple. So went ahead and to my surprise changed both the bulbs in less than 10 minutes. It was really that simple. Will post if it has had any difference after few miles behind the wheel.
You should try to do it once more and share us the pictures of the DIY! Am sure a lot of Polo owners would thank you for that.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:02   #1587
BHPian

Thanks swiftnfurious for nudging me to do it. As i said its a simple process.
I had changed the stock to Philips extreme vision. First was thinking of NB unlimited but thought its not worth more than double the price of extreme vision for marginal difference.
Here what's the manual says.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00849e.jpg

Ours is the one with rubber back.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00850.jpg

Here are the steps. I'm showing you the RHS headlight.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00841.jpg

This is the inside of RHS headlight. The arrow denotes the slot for H4 bulb.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00842e.jpg

Remove the protective rubber and you can see the socket.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00843e.jpg

Its just pull type. You can pull it.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00844e.jpg

Now you should remove the circular rubber protective covering. This will expose the pins of the bulb.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00845e.jpg

Now you see the back pins of the bulb. The arrow denotes the pin that holds the bulb in position. Its just push type. Push and slide it, it opens up.Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00846e.jpg

Now the bulb lays loose. Just pull it out and replace it with the new bulb.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc00848e.jpg

Now follow the same steps put the clip in place, replace the circular rubber cap and plug in the socket. Everything should be ready now.
drpudhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 09:06   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Thanks swiftnfurious for nudging me to do it. As i said its a simple process.
Remove the protective rubber and you can see the socket.
Attachment 1226960

Its just pull type. You can pull it.
Attachment 1226961

Now you should remove the circular rubber protective covering. This will expose the pins of the bulb.
Attachment 1226962
:
Hi drpudhi,
Thanks for your informative post.
We have never upgraded any of our cars headlights bulb till now, but Polo's poor setup pushed me and i had ordered Osram NB unlimited through eBay. It got delivered yesterday after a wait of 10days .
Anyways, while I tried to replace the lamps in the morning, I am unable to remove the socket. In most Hyundais and other cars the power socket just comes out with a slight pull. I tried pulling it in all different ways and it seemed like its straining the bulbs locating pins, so gave up. Am I missing something here?
Stangely, the manual does not mention anything about removing the socket or the circular rubber protective covering you have mentioned.

Thanks,
D.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image.jpg  

Old 8th April 2014, 10:35   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Hi drpudhi,
Thanks for your informative post.
We have never upgraded any of our cars headlights bulb till now, but Polo's poor setup pushed me and i had ordered Osram NB unlimited through eBay. It got delivered yesterday after a wait of 10days .
Anyways, while I tried to replace the lamps in the morning, I am unable to remove the socket. In most Hyundais and other cars the power socket just comes out with a slight pull. I tried pulling it in all different ways and it seemed like its straining the bulbs locating pins, so gave up. Am I missing something here?
Stangely, the manual does not mention anything about removing the socket or the circular rubber protective covering you have mentioned.

Thanks,
D.
The socket just needs to be pulled out. Its just pull-push type like anyother plug point in house. Just pull it out straight without any rotating motions.
Old 10th April 2014, 10:02   #1590
BHPian

Extended warranty premium pricing for VW has been updated tn the team-bhp(http://www.team-bhp.com/news/volkswa...warranty-plans)

2+2/1,00,000 costs(excluding tax)
Rs 11,606 for Polo GT TSi
Rs 13,912 for Polo GT TDi

TSi premium costs 20% less than TDi, so I guess VW has confidence on their DSG. Hats off to VW for the competitive pricing for the TSi(considering the rumors about premium costing around Rs. 40,000).
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks