Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:10   #8101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
Hi All,

I have been facing a very unusual issue in my Ecosport TDCI. The ac/blower start themselves on gear shift many times and I see water trail outside the car. Is it something I should get checked immediately or am I being paranoid?

Could you someone please help? I have been driving it for 11 months with almost no issues.
I had a similar issue. The AC used to switch on automatically when the cars go on potholes and bumps. I figured out that there is something loose inside the AC console. So to check, at standstill I hit gently on the console and the AC switched on. Switched off manually, hit again and it again came on. Did that a few times, and somehow after some time the car decided to give up on the game. The issue stopped and never came back. This happened about six months ago.

Water trail is normal, you can ignore that.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:30   #8102
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I had a similar issue. The AC used to switch on automatically when the cars go on potholes and bumps. I figured out that there is something loose inside the AC console. So to check, at standstill I hit gently on the console and the AC switched on. Switched off manually, hit again and it again came on. Did that a few times, and somehow after some time the car decided to give up on the game. The issue stopped and never came back. This happened about six months ago.

Water trail is normal, you can ignore that.
Thank you so much for the reply.
I guess I can heave a sigh of relief because I travel on Bangalore's famous potholed roads all the time and now come to think of it, it happens when I go over a speed bump or pothole. But still I will get it checked by SA when I go for my service next month.
Old 26th September 2014, 15:05   #8103
BHPian

13 months with the Ecosport, and I think I am fairly happy with what I got. There are sure some drawbacks, which I would like to address one by one, possibly without voiding the warranty, or by voiding the warranty if results are worthwhile. I will list them one by one.

1) Suspension: It is hard. I don't mind if I don't have a corner craver, but could do with a bit more plushness in the ride. I keep the tyre pressure low, but that does not help a lot. Another thing am considering is reducing the wheel size 15" thereby increasing the tyre profile. But, it is an expensive mod. Have to buy 5 alloys and 5 tyres. Is it better to get an aftermarket suspension setup? Are there any suspension mods available for the Ecosport?

2) Headlights: I have already tried a bulb upgrade. Have the Nighbreaker Unlimited. it sure gives a whiter beam, but its all scattered. BTW, there are enough headlight mods mentioned in the thread, so we have enough data on this one.

3) Steering: It is light and most people like it. I am still not getting used to the super-lightness, especially at the center. I read an article claiming that the EPS charecteristics could be tuned in the ECU. Has anybody any experience with tuning their EPS systems?

Quote:
Unlike a hydraulic power steering system that continuously drives a hydraulic pump, the efficiency advantage of an EPS system is that it powers the EPS motor only when necessary. This results in reduced vehicle fuel consumption compared to the same vehicle with an HPS system. These systems can be tuned by simply modifying the software controlling the ECU. This provides a unique and cost effective opportunity to adjust the steering "feel" to suit the automotive model class. An additional advantage of EPS is its ability to compensate for one-sided forces such as a flat tire. It is also capable of steering in emergency maneuvers in conjunction with the electronic stability control.
Src: http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/auto/sys..._steering.html
4) Engine: Mine is a NA Petrol, so no tuning boxes available, I suppose. I searched for remaps on the internet, but did not find any links. Probably because the 1.5 TiVCT is a new engine. There is a thread on a 1.6L fiesta being remapped by Cosworth. But they later shut shop and left. Any remap options available for this engine?

Need ideas...
blacksport is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 15:57   #8104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
13 months with the Ecosport, and I think I am fairly happy with what I got. There are sure some drawbacks, which I would like to address one by one, possibly without voiding the warranty, or by voiding the warranty if results are worthwhile. I will list them one by one.

1) Suspension:

2) Headlights:

3) Steering:

4) Engine:

Need ideas...
My take:
1) You can perhaps look out for a deal to swap the 16 inch set with somebody who has the 15" set, because most people are looking to upsize to bigger rims than the other way around. You may as well get a very cheap deal through this.
2) Have you checked the feasibility of a Lightbar as well? I am using one on my Gurkha (not an obscenely big one either!) and the results are addictive.
3) No clue! Although,I don't mind the steering a bit, at any given speed.
4) From what I have searched so far, a Remap seems like the only option, or going in for an after-market turbo fitment (both risky and unreliable if not done properly). It's probably worth speaking with some of the remap guys to see if they are willing to take it up. We can probably form a small group, to share costs as well.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:36   #8105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
13 months with the Ecosport, and I think I am fairly happy with what I got.
How would you define the long-term experience with the 1.5L + PowerShift combination? I'm recommending this for my dad, but the Coimbatore dealers are denying the availability of the AT.

Quote:
There are sure some drawbacks... I will list them one by one.
Good summary, and very useful to potential owners. I think its also reassuring that no major issues or flaws have cropped up in the last year of ownership (you, me and several others).

Quote:
1) Suspension: Another thing am considering is reducing the wheel size 15" thereby increasing the tyre profile. Is it better to get an aftermarket suspension setup? Are there any suspension mods available for the Ecosport?
Roy_libran's idea is very smart of a tyre/alloy exchange - its a win-win for both parties. I was considering a suspension mod for my Getz, but gave up that idea when I saw that Red Rooster Performance's basic Tein suspension pack (springs+dampers) itself cost Rs. 85,000. I think it will be quite a costly option to arrive at the plushness of the Duster's ride.

Quote:
2) Headlights: I have already tried a bulb upgrade. Have the Nighbreaker Unlimited. it sure gives a whiter beam, but its all scattered.
Thanks for that feedback about the NB Unlimited. I've purchased these bulbs but haven't fitted them - its a little disheartening to read yours (and others) reports of the reflector not being perfectly compatible for the NB's dimensions.

Quote:
3) Steering: I read an article claiming that the EPS charecteristics could be tuned in the ECU. Has anybody any experience with tuning their EPS systems?
Interesting. And sounds reasonable, since the 2011 Fiesta and EcoSport both share the same steering underpinnings. Time for some Google-fu!

Quote:
4) Engine: Any remap options available for this engine?
Is the 1.5 TiVCT an international engine, or is it India-specific? The info on Wikipedia doesn't state it as an India-specific engine, so hopefully there will be options available globally. If it is India specific, then it is mostly a downsized 1.6 engine - in such cases, will a map for the original engine work? That line of thought is worth checking with the tuners (maybe you can post that question on one of the modification threads, since those tuner types might not be looking here )
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 19:01   #8106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My take:
1) You can perhaps look out for a deal to swap the 16 inch set with somebody who has the 15" set, because most people are looking to upsize to bigger rims than the other way around. You may as well get a very cheap deal through this.
But they are 195 mm wide. I don't want to downgrade from my 205. My ideal size would be 205/65/R15.
Quote:
2) Have you checked the feasibility of a Lightbar as well? I am using one on my Gurkha (not an obscenely big one either!) and the results are addictive.
Will check that.
Quote:
4) From what I have searched so far, a Remap seems like the only option, or going in for an after-market turbo fitment (both risky and unreliable if not done properly). It's probably worth speaking with some of the remap guys to see if they are willing to take it up. We can probably form a small group, to share costs as well.
Maybe I should give Pete's a call and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
How would you define the long-term experience with the 1.5L + PowerShift combination? I'm recommending this for my dad, but the Coimbatore dealers are denying the availability of the AT.
To be honest, in the beginning, I was a bit put off by the lack of power and the transmission's unwillingness to shift down on demand. But then since the car refused to adapt to my driving style, I adapted to the car's capabilities . I often step on the gas pedal and make the transmission drop two cogs. Gets the job done.

I recently did my much awaited long drive, a 700 km run done in a day. The car performed well. Overtakings had to be planned in advance, but once you get used to it, that is not a problem. The car returned about 14kmpl, which is not stellar, but then I was not driving for mileage - I had a time to keep.
Quote:
Good summary, and very useful to potential owners. I think its also reassuring that no major issues or flaws have cropped up in the last year of ownership (you, me and several others).
Till now no issues. Some rattle appeared some time ago, which vanished on its own. Driver side auto window sometimes refused to go up, curiously got cured after the long drive. The AC switch problem that I mentioned in a post earlier got cured by some banging.
Quote:

Roy_libran's idea is very smart of a tyre/alloy exchange - its a win-win for both parties. I was considering a suspension mod for my Getz, but gave up that idea when I saw that Red Rooster Performance's basic Tein suspension pack (springs+dampers) itself cost Rs. 85,000. I think it will be quite a costly option to arrive at the plushness of the Duster's ride.
Am a bit scared to make the suspension softer, as I don't want to end up toppling the car.
Quote:
Thanks for that feedback about the NB Unlimited. I've purchased these bulbs but haven't fitted them - its a little disheartening to read yours (and others) reports of the reflector not being perfectly compatible for the NB's dimensions.
You can try it for a whiter light. Anyway it is not worse than the stock setup.
Quote:
Interesting. And sounds reasonable, since the 2011 Fiesta and EcoSport both share the same steering underpinnings. Time for some Google-fu!
During my annual service, I asked the SA whether something could be tweaked in the ECU. He said, they don't get to modify anything.
Quote:
Is the 1.5 TiVCT an international engine, or is it India-specific? The info on Wikipedia doesn't state it as an India-specific engine, so hopefully there will be options available globally. If it is India specific, then it is mostly a downsized 1.6 engine - in such cases, will a map for the original engine work? That line of thought is worth checking with the tuners (maybe you can post that question on one of the modification threads, since those tuner types might not be looking here )
It isn't India specific, and I had read somewhere that it has been downsized from the 1.6 TiVCT. I don't think maps are tied to engines. Maps are specific to cars depending on the its characteristics.

Last edited by blacksport : 26th September 2014 at 19:15.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 19:35   #8107

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My take:

My mother's Ecosport is a Trend with 15" 195/65 tyres and mine is Titanium with a size upgrade to 225/55 R16. There is not the substantial difference in ride between the 2 cars as you'd imagine. Sure, mine jiggles a bit more on uneven roads, and has a fraction less compliance overall, but honestly, if no one told you about the difference in tyres and how it affects ride, a normal person wouldn't really notice a difference between the cars.

The Ecosport is stiff at low speeds, no question. Other than an upgrade in dampers, in my opinion, nothing can be done about it.
FlyinDoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 21:30   #8108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suspension: It is hard. I don't mind if I don't have a corner craver, but could do with a bit more plushness in the ride.
How about softer / comfort tyres ? May help a bit, I guess, alongwith higher tyre sidewall height.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 11:01   #8109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
How about softer / comfort tyres ? May help a bit, I guess, alongwith higher tyre sidewall height.
Increasing the side wall will not have significant impact. All it can enhance ride quality by 10-20%, which is hard to notice..This will also have other issues like, reduced FE, erroneous Odometer,speedometer .
The best solution seem to be tweaking suspension set-up which of course is expensive.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 12:01   #8110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Any one in pune/bombay got the "Projector-DRL" setup done locally? Can you share the feedback and the details of the workshop where you got it done?
Folks, anyone has a response to the above request? The long weekend is coming and if possible, i would like to put it to good use!
Old 29th September 2014, 12:24   #8111
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) Suspension: It is hard. I don't mind if I don't have a corner craver, but could do with a bit more plushness in the ride. I keep the tyre pressure low, but that does not help a lot. Another thing am considering is reducing the wheel size 15" thereby increasing the tyre profile. But, it is an expensive mod. Have to buy 5 alloys and 5 tyres. Is it better to get an aftermarket suspension setup? Are there any suspension mods available for the Ecosport?

2) Headlights: I have already tried a bulb upgrade. Have the Nighbreaker Unlimited. it sure gives a whiter beam, but its all scattered. BTW, there are enough headlight mods mentioned in the thread, so we have enough data on this one.

3) Steering: It is light and most people like it. I am still not getting used to the super-lightness, especially at the center. I read an article claiming that the EPS charecteristics could be tuned in the ECU. Has anybody any experience with tuning their EPS systems?

4) Engine: Mine is a NA Petrol, so no tuning boxes available, I suppose. I searched for remaps on the internet, but did not find any links. Any remap options available for this engine?

Need ideas...
Agree to most observations.

Lights: Have added Philips nightbrakers and they are like a 20% improvement. But a bit scattered. Intend to at a later stage add additional lights to my roof rack for highway drives.

Suspension: Alternate shocks from the local market should cost 40k instead of the expensive brands. 225 width tyres while retaining the current profile though just on the acceptable limit would maybe help. Can be fitted on the same alloys. Front guards may need trimming. The rogers solution for preventing rides bottoming out should also help. Stay with R16. Tyre brand and size change during the 35-40k Ms tire change may help.

Remap: Hard to see this happening. Change in filters is an option. Will join in if there is a group purchase. Find the power acceptable though.

Steering. Am OK with the steering but hold it with both hands at high speeds just to be extra sure.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 13:31   #8112
Senior - BHPian

Been reading this, and thought of sharing it on the forum.
Not very complimentary, especially the last "verdict" paragraph - which is quite scathing to say the least.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/ecosport

Source: Autocar, UK

Last edited by arjab : 29th September 2014 at 13:45.
Old 29th September 2014, 13:43   #8113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Been reading this - thought of sharing it on the forum.

Pretty specific i must say and to be taken to heart strictly by those who have driven a european can on european roads. The article itself at the end puts things in perspective.

Quote:
Ford’s repost will be that this has already proven a successful car for developing markets, but on tougher roads and catering to different tastes from ours

There have been plenty of great Fords like that over the years – from Mustangs to Broncos to Falcons – but none has cut the mustard in Europe. Neither will this.
Old 30th September 2014, 06:28   #8114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Been reading this, and thought of sharing it on the forum.
Not very complimentary, especially the last "verdict" paragraph - which is quite scathing to say the least.

I am really surprised by these lines.

On the other, you’re looking at a compact SUV that is priced mostly competitively against its peers – at least, the good ones, such as an equivalent Skoda Yeti, which will cost you around the same, or more.

Does it mean that the two in UK are priced more or less in the same region?
Old 30th September 2014, 09:09   #8115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I am really surprised by these lines.

On the other, you’re looking at a compact SUV that is priced mostly competitively against its peers – at least, the good ones, such as an equivalent Skoda Yeti, which will cost you around the same, or more.

Does it mean that the two in UK are priced more or less in the same region?
Ford is the largest selling manufacturer in the UK and the brand is popular for its true-blue driver’s car credentials. So it’s not really shocking that the Ecosport fall a bit short of their expectations, especially those set by other models from Ford. And in the small crossover segment they’ve too many quality options to choose from. Unlike in India, the Ecosport is priced at premium along with the likes of Renault Captur, Peugeot 2008 etc. For comparison, there the entry-level Ecosport is priced on par with the top-end Duster.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks