Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 12:16   #9211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
The itch to change the car has started with me, i presently own a Dzire zdi 2013 model, i am absolutely satisfied with it. I have travelled a lot with it, from hills of Dalhousie, Manali to Jaipur, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. Nowhere i found the 1.3 ddis (as suzuki calls it) lacking in power, you have just to keep it in the turbo range, that is above 1700 rpm. The NVH levels are much better as compared to the previous model swift which i owned. I have to decide between the Ecosport diesel and the S-cross. Test drove the Ecosport, i found the driving position of the Ecosport perfectly ergonomic, good on road manners, almost comparable to swift, suspension is better, roughness of the roads is felt much lesser than swift, but i found the pickup of the engine 1500cc 90bhp of the ecosport almost at par or even a bit lower than the 1248cc 75bhp engine. The Ecosport engine appeared strained, (from the deep thrumm sound it produced) under full throttle and hard acceleration, whereas the swift shows no indication of strain, how much hard you accelerate, whatever is the engine rpm, it may take its sweet time to reach the turbo range, the engine sound is always calm. This is making me more inclined towards the S-cross. I am yet to test drive it, most likely next week. One worry is that, upgrading from the new compact Dzire to the S-cross, there will not be a big change with respect to driving the car, (same steering wheel, same engine albeit with vgt and increased power from 75 to 90 bhp). On the other hand Ecosport has much better road presence as compared to the S-cross. And it will genuinely be a totally new car. I am not much worried about back seat or boot space. Expert bhpians please give your valued opinion, whether to go for the S-cross 200 or Ecosport, will Ecosport give the same fun to drive experience as the swift? Thanks.
Ecosport is a Fun to drive machine. You cannot compare it to a hatchback or sedan, you need to respect its tall stance with due diligence. While the engine is not a scorcher, it wont disappoint you. It doesnot have the punch of DDiS but is much more drivable. It has a linear acceleration. You can maintain 3 digit speed all day long on highways and is very stable.
One of the main advantages I found is the high GC coupled with Stiff suspension,helps you create your own roads!
If you are looking for SCross I would suggest you go for DDiS320 if budget is not a constraint. Between DDiS200 and Ecosport my vote goes to Ecosport.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 13:26   #9212
BHPian

Thanks for the advice. Changing over from one compact sedan to another, dzire to aspire.. does not really look like an upgrade, I am more inclined towards Ecosport only.

But recently my trusted mechanic has raised some doubts regarding the life of Ford Diesel engines, according to him ford 1.4 tdci of Fiesta classic, figo needs overhauling at maximum 1,50,000 km, and the multijet in the swift can go upto 5 lacs without any issues. I can vouch for the swift diesel, I sold a 2008 swift diesel after running for 1.35 lacs to my relative, in 2012, and he has completed another 1 lac on it, taking the odo to 2.35 lacs, and still it is running as good as new, no issues, no repairs, other than regular service.

I think 1.5 tdci of the Ecosport is also based on the same Figo's engine. There is also a thread on the life of 1.4 tdci engines in team-bhp, there are some users who had to get the 1.4 tdci overhauled at around 1,50,000, but most others have their odometers at less than 1.5 lacs, I have seen a number of Fiesta classics badly smoking, and very crude engine sounds, may be poorly maintained, or some other issues, but I have rarely seen a swift in such conditions.

I really like the ecosport, but a bit worried about the engine life. I usually keep my cars for 4-5 years, running 1 to 1.3 lacs. I don't want the engine to be on its last legs, when I have to sell it, that may affect its resale value. Fellows please clear my doubts, and let me know the maximum odometer readings in Ecosport or new Fiesta with engines running trouble free. In 1.4 tdci thread someone mentioned, that the engine consumes at least 1 litre of engine oil in 10000 km, it sounds scary, because my swift (even at 2.35 lacs)and now the dzire consume no or negligible amount of engine oil at the 10000 km service interval.

I hope there are no such issues in Ecosport Diesel engine. Thanks.
Old 11th August 2015, 14:21   #9213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Thanks for the advice. Changing over from one compact sedan to another, dzire to aspire.. does not really look like an upgrade, I am more inclined towards Ecosport only.

But recently my trusted mechanic has raised some doubts regarding the life of Ford Diesel engines, according to him ford 1.4 tdci of Fiesta classic, figo needs overhauling at maximum 1,50,000 km, and the multijet in the swift can go upto 5 lacs without any issues. I can vouch for the swift diesel, I sold a 2008 swift diesel after running for 1.35 lacs to my relative, in 2012, and he has completed another 1 lac on it, taking the odo to 2.35 lacs, and still it is running as good as new, no issues, no repairs, other than regular service.

I think 1.5 tdci of the Ecosport is also based on the same Figo's engine. There is also a thread on the life of 1.4 tdci engines in team-bhp, there are some users who had to get the 1.4 tdci overhauled at around 1,50,000, but most others have their odometers at less than 1.5 lacs, I have seen a number of Fiesta classics badly smoking, and very crude engine sounds, may be poorly maintained, or some other issues, but I have rarely seen a swift in such conditions.

I really like the ecosport, but a bit worried about the engine life. I usually keep my cars for 4-5 years, running 1 to 1.3 lacs. I don't want the engine to be on its last legs, when I have to sell it, that may affect its resale value. Fellows please clear my doubts, and let me know the maximum odometer readings in Ecosport or new Fiesta with engines running trouble free. In 1.4 tdci thread someone mentioned, that the engine consumes at least 1 litre of engine oil in 10000 km, it sounds scary, because my swift (even at 2.35 lacs)and now the dzire consume no or negligible amount of engine oil at the 10000 km service interval.

I hope there are no such issues in Ecosport Diesel engine. Thanks.
diesel engines of todays age dont differ much, if you are taking care of them well and luck is not against you. Before ecosport, I have used ford fusion diesel for approximately 1 lakh, and the whole journey was trouble free, now the fusion is with my father and he has racked in another 50 thousand, but there is no issue with engine. I recently had the opportunity to drive the fusion for approximately 300 kms, and I was feeling the car was just gliding with minimal effort, such smooth it was. All you need is always fill the diesel from a reputed pump, because adultrated diesel is the main enemy of diesel engine, plus always get the car serviced from authorised service centre, and the ford will never let you down.

Last edited by Dr.Abhi : 11th August 2015 at 14:23.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:38   #9214
BHPian

I test drove a Ecosport AT last Friday, I noticed that especially while getting out of the seating position the right side seat plastic projection was pressing against my thighs(upper), and it was noticeable. Maybe because the seats cushion had lost its strength and has gone soft enough.

The sales guy said since the ground clearance is high and you are not used to it, you may feel it hurting you. (I currently drive a i10 Automatic).

Anybody else experienced this or is it too trivial as it happens only when I am getting out of the driver seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ecosport-seat.jpg  

Old 11th August 2015, 14:51   #9215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
I test drove a Ecosport AT last Friday, I noticed that especially while getting out of the seating position the right side seat plastic projection was pressing against my thighs(upper), and it was noticeable. Maybe because the seats cushion had lost its strength and has gone soft enough.

The sales guy said since the ground clearance is high and you are not used to it, you may feel it hurting you. (I currently drive a i10 Automatic).

Anybody else experienced this or is it too trivial as it happens only when I am getting out of the driver seat.
Bullcrap it is, what the Sales guy told you!

I have the Ecosport AT, and I can guarantee to you, that this Lever DOES NOT press against the Thighs at all.
In the Test Drive vehicle, it's perhaps because people have been sitting on this seat with legs hanging out of the door, for long durations at the Showroom, due to which the support has deteriorated over time.
Please TD another vehicle and see if this is still an issue.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:00   #9216
Senior - BHPian

Roy, what are the 0 to 100 timings of Ecosport AT when you floor. Does it have in-gear indication? I'm leaning towards it after seeing Creta AT's pricing but only 140 NM of torque acts as a dampener. The on-paper torque figure is quite dismal. How's it in real?
Old 11th August 2015, 16:08   #9217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post

I second what roy_libran says. I do not have a problem with the lever. Maybe the cushion has deteriorated or it is a defective one.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:14   #9218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Roy, what are the 0 to 100 timings of Ecosport AT when you floor. Does it have in-gear indication? I'm leaning towards it after seeing Creta AT's pricing but only 140 NM of torque acts as a dampener. The on-paper torque figure is quite dismal. How's it in real?
In all candour, if you are asking a question on 0-100 timings, then Ecosport AT is NOT THE CAR FOR YOU at all.
  • The Display does not give you In-Gear indications, unless you are using the Manual Gear Over-ride in 'S' mode.
  • In 'S' mode (without Manual over-ride), the Ecosport will hold gears significantly longer than the 'D' mode, at times, by over 2000 RPM.
  • When using Manual mode, it doesn't upshift automatically, and goes dangerously close to the Redline. I haven't really pushed it to the Redline to see whether it does upshift automatically at some point, in this mode, and have interrupted by manually upshifting.

The Ecosport AT is adequate for City Driving, some Trail Driving and Moderately Aggressive Highway Driving. It's quite versatile, but not fast.
The weight of the car, coupled with the relatively modest torque figures, doesn't mean a zippy drive, although beyond 2500 rpm, the car is fun to drive, relatively, that is.

How one wishes, that this AT came with either the Ecoboost or the older 1.6!

Last edited by roy_libran : 11th August 2015 at 16:16.
roy_libran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:36   #9219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
In all candour, if you are asking a question on 0-100 timings, then Ecosport AT is NOT THE CAR FOR YOU at all.
  • The Display does not give you In-Gear indications, unless you are using the Manual Gear Over-ride in 'S' mode.
  • In 'S' mode (without Manual over-ride), the Ecosport will hold gears significantly longer than the 'D' mode, at times, by over 2000 RPM.
  • When using Manual mode, it doesn't upshift automatically, and goes dangerously close to the Redline. I haven't really pushed it to the Redline to see whether it does upshift automatically at some point, in this mode, and have interrupted by manually upshifting.

The Ecosport AT is adequate for City Driving, some Trail Driving and Moderately Aggressive Highway Driving. It's quite versatile, but not fast.
The weight of the car, coupled with the relatively modest torque figures, doesn't mean a zippy drive, although beyond 2500 rpm, the car is fun to drive, relatively, that is.

How one wishes, that this AT came with either the Ecoboost or the older 1.6!
I get it. Thanks anyway for your prompt reply. I'm not exactly a boy-racer but I like to make quick getaways at traffic lights to prevent autorickshaws and other slow moving vehicles from overtaking me to come and glue to my front bumper. I had an A-Star AT for 4 years which I just sold. If Ecosport AT is not much of a move-up on A-Star (in performance), then I don't think it will excite me. Now it is a toss up between Creta AT and Scorpio AT, for me. Still asking, in absolute terms, let us say you floor in D mode, then does it hit 100 in 11-12 seconds?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:49   #9220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Quote:
I'm not exactly a boy-racer but I like to make quick getaways at traffic lights
If I'm not mistaken, dual-clutch gearboxes are usually very quick in straight upshifts where there's no room for confusion. You might have to just use S mode for the launch to overcome the placid nature of the 1.5 TiVCT mill, and once you're cruising switch to D mode. If that be the reason for your question, you should be fine. Try a TD, to be sure, however.

Dual clutches get slowed down when the alternate clutch is prepared for an upshift, but your driving input suddenly requires a downshift, then it bogs down a bit to reselect the appropriate gear. So, if you're darting around in traffic hopping through gaps, you'll be met by a mix of rapid upshifts, mixed in with some "heey, I was planning on switching up to 4th and now you want to go to 2nd?" confusion.

I've not driven the AT, this is just based on what I've read from professional and owner reviews of the EcoSport AT while I was researching it for my parents (they eventually picked the TDCi).
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 19:53   #9221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get it. Thanks anyway for your prompt reply. I'm not exactly a boy-racer but I like to make quick getaways at traffic lights to prevent autorickshaws and other slow moving vehicles from overtaking me to come and glue to my front bumper.
Well - if making a quickish getaway from traffic lights to get ahead of autos & slower vehicles is what you require, I think the Ecosport AT does the job fairly adequately, based on my experience.
However, it far below the DSG boxes on the Vento and its ilk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
If I'm not mistaken, dual-clutch gearboxes are usually very quick in straight upshifts where there's no room for confusion. You might have to just use S mode for the launch to overcome the placid nature of the 1.5 TiVCT mill, and once you're cruising switch to D mode. If that be the reason for your question, you should be fine. Try a TD, to be sure, however.

Dual clutches get slowed down when the alternate clutch is prepared for an upshift, but your driving input suddenly requires a downshift, then it bogs down a bit to reselect the appropriate gear. So, if you're darting around in traffic hopping through gaps, you'll be met by a mix of rapid upshifts, mixed in with some "heey, I was planning on switching up to 4th and now you want to go to 2nd?" confusion.
This is completely correct. Sudden change in gear shifting requirements does cause a noticeable jerky (slight shuddering) kind of response. Esp in the rapid deceleration/braking/2nd to 1st and again 1st to 2nd scenario. At times I can't help but wonder if there is some slight problem with the box.

Last edited by wilful : 11th August 2015 at 20:11.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 20:43   #9222
Senior - BHPian

Oh, please don't mistake, the Ecosport AT box shifts gears very quickly, in 99% situations.
It is just that I find the engine wanting, w.r.t my taste.
But overall, if you value safety, versatility, build quality, reliability over outright performance, you'll like the Ecosport.

P.S. The Scorpio AT is an excellent choice in the next price band.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:25   #9223
BHPian

How does the ecosport AT compare to the City CVT in traffic drivability? I am yet to take a test drive of the city AT. But having TDed the Polo GT TSI yestrday can totally relate to what folks here saying about the Ecosport AT. The gear shifts in DSG are barely noticeable where as one can clearly hear the gear changes in the Ecosport.
Old 12th August 2015, 10:17   #9224
Senior - BHPian

The Eco sport AT gearbox selects shift speed depending on how much you throttle the car.
If you start with a stab to your throttle, and press enough to go upto anything above 2500 RPM, your car will go till that RPM in whichever gear you are, and only then up shift with a drop in RPM again gain some speed, up shift, gain some speed and so on.
But any thing above 2000 RPM and you reduce pressure or remove you foot from the accelerator, you will get an upshift. Keep varying the pressure, and the TCU confuses and to be on the safer side holds a lower gear.
So for getting off a stop light, just throttle hard initially and you will get good acceleration.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 15:21   #9225
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I get it. Thanks anyway for your prompt reply. I'm not exactly a boy-racer but I like to make quick getaways at traffic lights to prevent autorickshaws and other slow moving vehicles from overtaking me to come and glue to my front bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Well - if making a quickish getaway from traffic lights to get ahead of autos & slower vehicles is what you require, I think the Ecosport AT does the job fairly adequately, based on my experience.
However, it far below the DSG boxes on the Vento and its ilk.

This is completely correct. Sudden change in gear shifting requirements does cause a noticeable jerky (slight shuddering) kind of response. Esp in the rapid deceleration/braking/2nd to 1st and again 1st to 2nd scenario. At times I can't help but wonder if there is some slight problem with the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Dual clutches get slowed down when the alternate clutch is prepared for an upshift, but your driving input suddenly requires a downshift, then it bogs down a bit to reselect the appropriate gear.
The EcoSport AT "CAN BE MADE" to speed away at signals quite easily and quite rapidly. I do it for fun every once in a while but it totally depends on the mood on the day.

The key word is Can be made.

You have multiple options:
1) S Mode
2) Keep the foot depressed in D mode.
3) If already slowly reaching towards the signal in one of the mid gears when it turns green - Then again floor it and activate the Kick Down mode where in the gear will jump downward 1 or 2 gears and surge forward - also useful for overtaking.

Do note the gears "LEARN" your driving style so if one is a passive driver in general and one suddenly want to start driving fast it will not respond as quickly as in the case of a vehicle that is normally driven quickly. Essentially the response would depend on the driving style of the driver in general. So even while test driving an AT the driving style over the last few kms by previous drivers would impact the response that you get.

It is a heavy vehicle but does have a heart and especially in the AT on account of the S and Kickdown modes one can get a quick response. But if one is a sedate driver then it suddenly will not respond too fast with a gentle tap and a fair bit of aggression would be required.

Though not actually timed by me I think the AT 0-100 in S mode will the ACC aggressively depressed should be about 11-12 sec.

EcoBoost with AT though would have been lovely to have.

Tyres do make a difference.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th August 2015 at 16:20. Reason: Quote fixed.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks