Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 19:48   #9346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Ecoboost owners,how are you finding your car? The car wasn't quick at all and the first acceleration was worse than an Avventura. This is in sharp contrast with the reviews but let me mention that the TD had clocked 35K and was very abused.
The EcoBoost has lousy performance when it is off boost (i.e. <1700 rpm). In first gear, you'll quickly and easily come into boost, so that gear shouldn't have a problem at all. In other gears, it'll feel lethargic from 1200-1700 rpm, and becomes totally fun thereafter. Once you cross 1700 rpm, it revs enthusiastically, cleanly and easily all the way up to 6000 rpm (I've not crossed this, though red-line is closer to 6400 rpm).

You can either try another TD vehicle, or ask an EcoBoost owner in the NCR region to try out the same TD vehicle you used, so they can honestly assess whether the TD vehicle is in poor shape.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 20:50   #9347
BHPian

Quote:
Ecoboost owners,how are you finding your car? I TD an Ecosport Boost and was very disappointed. The car wasn't quick at all and the first acceleration was worse than an Avventura. This is in sharp contrast with the reviews but let me mention that the TD had clocked 35K and was very abused. That's why I'm still not convinced that the Ecoboost can be this bad. Can owners please give feedback? The TD car has got me really confused.
I have an Ecoboost. I have not driven the Aventura so I cant compare with it. As far as Ecoboost is concerned, I can tell you that once in the turbo zone beyond 1600-1700 rpm, it is pure pleasure to drive. Very energetic and enthusiastic to move forward. Reaches 100 without any fuss. Below 1600 is another story. Gear one is lifeless. If you are picking up the car from zero or after a speed breaker, you will need to work the gears. It will not help you if you want to race off the block. So if you drive mostly in bumper to bumper traffic, you might be disappointed.
amit.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 21:06   #9348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The EcoBoost has lousy performance when it is off boost (i.e. <1700 rpm). In first gear, you'll quickly and easily come into boost, so that gear shouldn't have a problem at all. In other gears, it'll feel lethargic from 1200-1700 rpm, and becomes totally fun thereafter. Once you cross 1700 rpm, it revs enthusiastically, cleanly and easily all the way up to 6000 rpm (I've not crossed this, though red-line is closer to 6400 rpm).

You can either try another TD vehicle, or ask an EcoBoost owner in the NCR region to try out the same TD vehicle you used, so they can honestly assess whether the TD vehicle is in poor shape.
How would you compare it to the Diesel? I have driven a diesel TCDI and it too felt a lot quicker than the boost. I revved it till 6k for first three gears and was at max throttle at all time but no feeling of boost or punch. I guess I'll just ignore this, has to be the test drive car.
Old 8th September 2015, 22:28   #9349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How would you compare it to the Diesel? I have driven a diesel TCDI and it too felt a lot quicker than the boost.
My dad has a diesel EcoSport, so I'm able to contrast it with the EcoBoost.
  • The diesel's driveability is excellent.
  • In the city, the TDCi is far better than the EcoBoost: it moves cleanly in slow-moving traffic and picks up nicely after speedbreakers (something which the EcoBoost fails miserably at, as amit.s has also pointed out).
  • If you hit slow moving traffic in the EcoBoost, prepare for a lot of gear changes. In fact, my 1.3L Getz gives better stop-and-go driveability than the EcoBoost since it is naturally aspirated.
  • On the highway in the TDCi, once you cross the ton, you feel you're nearing the limits of the engine. I'm not saying it won't go faster, but you just feel that you might not want to continue pushing it much more. On the other hand, the EcoBoost is just nuts on the highway, excellent fun.
  • If you're not an aggressive driver on the highway who likes a lot of fast acceleration, the TDCi is absolutely fine.
  • If you go to any hilly/ghat areas, then the TDCi is better than the EcoBoost, because in the EcoBoost you keep dropping out of the boost zone.
  • One thing about the TDCi, compared to India's most popular diesel engine (the 1.3 MJD in the Swift, etc.) - the TDCi does not have an explosive punch, and the turbo kicks in quite smoothly. I personally prefer Ford's TDCi, but there are others who totally live for that turbo-kick in the 1.3 MJD.

In my case, I opted for the EcoBoost even though a majority of my commute is in the city, simply for the fun it offers when I do get a clear stretch of road, and I have compromised in the ease of city driveability.

Quote:
I revved it till 6k for first three gears and was at max throttle at all time but no feeling of boost or punch. I guess I'll just ignore this, has to be the test drive car.
That almost sounds like the turbo isn't giving boost, and sounds like a problem with the car. I'd really recommend you try another TD car to help you decide between the EcoBoost and TDCi.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 23:49   #9350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Your car looks great! Have you done some detailing work (3M)? I am thinking of doing it sometime shortly.
Thanks! I haven't done any detailing work save for the "Teflon" coating done by dealer at the time of delivery I am impressed each time Ford cleans up the car at the time of service. The cleaning service can also be done at a cost of 350rs at other times which includes exterior wash, interior vacuum & basic cleaning. But they seem to apply some slippery shiny stuff on interiors which i don't like. I also opted for the optional Waxoyl waterless engine compartment cleaning for around 500ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The dealership quoted Rs.18,222 /- for 3rd year or Rs 36,567/- for 3rd&4th&5th year which I found little steep and partially was curious to see whether I could responsibly service and maintain a Ford car myself.
I opted for 3rd year warranty with RSA at the time of delivery itself and it cost me around 11kish. 18k is too steep. Maybe the dealer is inflating the price. You can check my quotation here:
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:41   #9351
BHPian

Quote:
The dealership quoted Rs.18,222 /- for 3rd year or Rs 36,567/- for 3rd&4th&5th year which I found little steep and partially was curious to see whether I could responsibly service and maintain a Ford car myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
I recently bought the extended warranty being offered by Metro Ford, Bangalore for 3rd and 4th year at 16553/-.
johannskaria, I feel that your dealership is not being honest with you regarding the extended warranty price. Check above for what Metro Ford charged Anand. He has a diesel. You may want to talk to them again, or talk to some other dealer. You can buy from any dealer, even from Metro Ford, Bangalore.

Quote:
My trusted mechanic gives me peace of mind and does not resort to this kind of behaviour.
Which although might be true, ~17K for two years of extended warranty would give you even more peace of mind. Ext warranty would come to your help, for example, in case you end up with a blown turbo or a faulty steering or suspension.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:59   #9352
BHPian

Guys anything specific to look for during PDI of Ecoboost? Going for a Kinetic Blue Titanium O.
Old 11th September 2015, 09:34   #9353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
johannskaria, I feel that your dealership is not being honest with you regarding the extended warranty price. Check above for what Metro Ford charged Anand. He has a diesel. You may want to talk to them again, or talk to some other dealer. You can buy from any dealer, even from Metro Ford, Bangalore.

Which although might be true, ~17K for two years of extended warranty would give you even more peace of mind. Ext warranty would come to your help, for example, in case you end up with a blown turbo or a faulty steering or suspension.
Well, once your car is older , buying extended warranty gets costlier. The delay you make in buying the costly it gets. Given that johannskaria car is 2 years old, costlier price for extended warranty looks fine.
Old 11th September 2015, 15:57   #9354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well, once your car is older , buying extended warranty gets costlier. The delay you make in buying the costly it gets. Given that johannskaria car is 2 years old, costlier price for extended warranty looks fine.
My car is also almost close to 2 years old (bought in Oct 2013) and yet I got the extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year for 16.5K last month. Hence the concern by civic-sense and myself about johannskaria's dealer not being fair!

Last edited by Anand2712 : 11th September 2015 at 15:58.
Old 12th September 2015, 12:34   #9355

Hi Folks recently got the ECM / ECU updated on my Ford Ecosport DSG AT, Now the car feels like half brother of VW Polo GT TSI, It has become more peppier and butter smooth, Even on inclines with luggage and five on board it is effortless to drive with minimum pedal on the gas and surprisingly the mileage has increased by around 1-2 Kilometeres, It feels hugely different, The acceleration lag has also surprisingly vanished, Cold starts have also improved. Has anybody else got the update on their AT Ecosports kindly share your experience.
Old 12th September 2015, 17:21   #9356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarNut View Post
Hi Folks recently got the ECM / ECU updated on my Ford Ecosport DSG AT, Now the car feels like half brother of VW Polo GT TSI, It has become more peppier and butter smooth, Even on inclines with luggage and five on board it is effortless to drive with minimum pedal on the gas and surprisingly the mileage has increased by around 1-2 Kilometeres, It feels hugely different, The acceleration lag has also surprisingly vanished, Cold starts have also improved. Has anybody else got the update on their AT Ecosports kindly share your experience.
Can you please share more details on this update? Was it offered to you by the dealer or did you know about it and asked for it?
Old 12th September 2015, 20:20   #9357
BHPian

Hi All, I need little help..

While coming back from office in evening, my ecosport's both headlamps wont turn on at all (both low and high beam). Everything else is working fine. I think it might be a fuse issue.. but I am confused which one to check. Looking into the manual it says
R4 - High beam
30 - LHS exterior low beam
22 - RHSexterior low beam

What could possibly make both headlamps go off all together?

Thankfully, the fog lamps were working fine and I was able to drive back home.

I have HID projector lamps installed directly by Genome rep at Ford dealer right from first day and they are still under warranty. Tomorrow I will go to ASC, but can any one enlighten me if this happens again where-what to check in emergency.
Old 12th September 2015, 20:53   #9358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy45 View Post
Hi All, I need little help..

While coming back from office in evening, my ecosport's both headlamps wont turn on at all (both low and high beam). Everything else is working fine.

What could possibly make both headlamps go off all together?

I have HID projector lamps installed directly by Genome rep at Ford dealer right from first day and they are still under warranty. Tomorrow I will go to ASC, but can any one enlighten me if this happens again where-what to check in emergency.

Since you're talking HIDs, it could likely be a ballast power supply problem/malfuction. The HID kit may have fuses of its own too. Check that too.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 20:54   #9359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looking into the manual it says
R4 - High beam
30 - LHS exterior low beam
22 - RHSexterior low beam
R4 - is the relay for the headlamps, not the fuse. I'm not sure exactly what the fuses 22 and 30 are for (whether they are exclusively for low beams, or something else also). Do bear in mind that you need to check fuse #12 also; which is the fuse associated with relay R4.

Initial checks would be to verify if you're receiving power at the back of the headlamp units (unlikely you will be getting power, since both sides conked out). Then, you need to check if the fuses are blown, or if the relay is not working as intended. HIDs also require ballast, so that's another thing to check and confirm is working right. Also, if an additional fuse was introduced as part of the HID wiring, check that too (it won't be covered in the manual since its an additional fitment).

Quote:
I have HID projector lamps installed
If I'm not mistaken, HID projectors usually draw lesser power than incandescent bulbs (35W or so for HID, vs 60W for OEM). So, it should not be a relay failure or fuse blown due to excessive power draw. Therefore, I would recommend you get the wiring checked to see if there's a short (either a wire frayed, or a connection loose), this could have caused the problem.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 23:28   #9360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My dad has a diesel EcoSport, so I'm able to contrast it with the EcoBoost.
Hi - Since your family has both the engines of the Ecosport, can you please provide the Mileage details of both the Engines in the Bumper to Bumper City ride and on the Highways as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks