Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 14:53   #9466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Do you know if the burning smell was from the tires or clutch? That's the one odd thing I don't understand.

When you press the brake pedal firmly, the DCT disconnects the clutch, by design - so this is what you experienced, its very normal.
Actually that is the thing that puzzled me. The source of the burning smell - because the whole thing was a blur (as was my mind) I can't positively swear where it was from. But I just have a sneaking suspicion that it was from the clutch because it didn't appear to smell like rubber.
I think it was still in D (stationary)when I tried moving on - so your assumption about the computer circuits seems right. I think when it didn't move, I put it in N and then back to D.
Old 16th October 2015, 18:21   #9467
BHPian

I have a Ford Ecosport 2013 Titanium - a very good car and I'm very happy with it so far. The music system is too good and we used to enjoy music via the USB slot. Recently one day however, on starting the car is says "No USB device" - on removing and reconnecting, or even after inserting a different USB drive, it still does not detect. I wonder what is the problem. On connecting my phone to the USB slot via USB cable however, the phone is charging normally. Did anyone have a similar problem?

Further, its been two months that I did my second free service (the one after 10k kms. Today i got a message on the display that Engine OIL change due, service required. I wonder if it is OK for this message to crop up now as I believe during the service they change the engine oil? Please advice.
Old 16th October 2015, 21:16   #9468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestallion View Post
I have a Ford Ecosport 2013 Titanium - a very good car and I'm very happy with it so far. The music system is too good and we used to enjoy music via the USB slot. Recently one day however, on starting the car is says "No USB device" - on removing and reconnecting, or even after inserting a different USB drive, it still does not detect. I wonder what is the problem. On connecting my phone to the USB slot via USB cable however, the phone is charging normally. Did anyone have a similar problem?

Further, its been two months that I did my second free service (the one after 10k kms. Today i got a message on the display that Engine OIL change due, service required. I wonder if it is OK for this message to crop up now as I believe during the service they change the engine oil? Please advice.
I also faced USB detection issues few times, make sure you connect the phone before you try to connect USB. Still you face the issue, you can try to reset the sync to factory settings and try.

As far as service due display message is popping up as the service center guys did not reset the service interval. You can do it yourself as suggested by one of the Team-BHP member.

"Press the start button (or turn the ignition) and wait for the service reminder to come. Once that's displayed, press the accelerator and brake together and hold it for 30 seconds. The reminder will disappear and will appear for the next service."
bageherath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 19:25   #9469
Distinguished - BHPian

I had stopped by Metro Ford (Bangalore) earlier today to check out the new Figo. To kill some time, I took a scout around the EcoSport to see what was new/different, in relation to the previous EcoSport. Here's my observations and comparative pictures.

What I've NOT shown here are - signature headlamps and the DRLs housed in the fog lights. The battery in the car was not working, so couldn't show the lights in action. There might be other items that I missed out.

Firstly, the key mechanical difference: the improved 1.5L TDCi diesel engine:
Name:  TDCi.gif
Views: 30005
Size:  37.7 KB

Other differences:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-12-tailgate-rear.jpg
The owner's manual states:
Name:  Tailgate.gif
Views: 29686
Size:  26.7 KB
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-3-stalks.jpg
Name:  Autowipers.gif
Views: 37087
Size:  43.2 KB
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-4-headlamp-controls.jpg
Name:  Autolamps.gif
Views: 36902
Size:  21.9 KB
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-5-gearshift-boot.jpg
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-6-handbrake.jpg
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-8-irvm.jpg
Name:  Automirror.gif
Views: 29117
Size:  15.2 KB
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-7-door-handles.jpg
Oddly enough, the silver bezel surrounding the ICE remains the old style, and is not in the aluminium finish. The aluminium finish is very classy!
Also - sadly, there's no power folding mirrors, while the lower Figo/Aspire get these. C'mon Ford, be consistent.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-diff-9-sensors.jpg

Note: All 2013 EcoSport pictures from page 1 of this official review thread. All 2015 EcoSport pictures shot by me.

Last edited by arunphilip : 17th October 2015 at 19:50. Reason: Added diesel difference, added manual screenshots inline
arunphilip is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 19:42   #9470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To kill some time, I took a scout around the EcoSport to see what was new/different, in relation to the previous EcoSport.
That's substantial for a 3rd year renewing attempt, the 20 nm torque @ early 1750 rpm being the prominent one.

Appreciate your effort to highlight the changes, Philip.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 22:10   #9471
Senior - BHPian

Existing petrol EcoSport owners

Can someone please comment on following points as a comparison between 1.5 and 1.0

1) Fuel efficiency

2) Driveability

3) Driving in ghats

4) Driving with full load

5) Bumper to bumper traffic

For my kind of usage (500-700 kms per month at max), diesel is out of question.
Old 17th October 2015, 22:40   #9472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had stopped by Metro Ford (Bangalore) earlier today to check out the new Figo. To kill some time, I took a scout around the EcoSport to see what was new/different, in relation to the previous EcoSport. Here's my observations and comparative pictures.
Nice work Arun. This is really good. Only an existing owner will spot all these differences. The changes are welcome and looks like they paid some attention to detail.

I don't like the indicators on right side! They are just so not euro and it's now difficult to sit in a Ford or VW or any Euro and imagine the indicators on the right.

Somehow this is ingrained in my head, euro car is left and anything else is right. Between the Toyota and Ford I never get confused. Only time I make a mistake is when I sit in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and turn on the wipers instead of indicators. The GV has the indicators on the left!!

That said I had my first mishap with the Ecosport. I was driving back from Chennai and at one of the tool booths a dilapidated Lancer bumped into the back at slow speeds. The front grill and bonnet went straight into my rear tyre and that created a dent in the hatch. The bumper is all but useless in the Ecosport. It's the rear tyre that takes the brunt. I now have a dent as well as my rear tyre facing downwards by a few degrees. This is the first mark on the car since I got it 2 years back.

I had just finished waxing the car last week before the Chennai trip. Here's a couple of photos post waxing. I didn't take the pics of the dent.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20151012_114655.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20151012_114705.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 23:25   #9473
BHPian

Hi folks,

I have been peeking into this thread from time to time, and am now considering purchasing the Ecosport 1.5L AT due to it's build quality, safety features etc. It seems to have pretty much everything we need (90% city, 10% highway). The only feature missing is auto-folding mirrors.

I have done a couple of test drives of the ecoboost and felt that it handled potholes and speed-breakers better than my Swift. The clutch was very hard, probably as they were test drive cars but this will not be an issue in the AT.

My main concerns:
1. Ingress may be a bit high for my parents, will need to check. Maybe carry along a small stool if they need it.
2. Since the rear seats are folding there is no permanent metal structure there to prevent luggage from spilling into the rear seats (in case of a rear hit). I believe this is one of the safety features in a Linea.
3. Rear seat width is a bit less (we looked at Vento too), specially since one slot will be taken up with a car seat. 2 adults will fit in along with the car seat but not too comfortably.
4. It looks like mileage will be 10kmpl (or lesser) within city, specially given BLR's heavy traffic conditions.

One qs I have is, having driven only manuals all my life - how easy or difficult is it to switch to AT. Tried calling up a couple of driving schools and they don't have any automatics to learn on. Any suggestions since some other folks would have gone through a similar experience. Thanks!
Old 17th October 2015, 23:39   #9474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Hi folks,
3. Rear seat width is a bit less (we looked at Vento too), specially since one slot will be taken up with a car seat. 2 adults will fit in along with the car seat but not too comfortably.
An OT from my side, the ecosport AT has ISOFIX anchor points, so its easier to attach a child seat.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 23:57   #9475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
An OT from my side, the ecosport AT has ISOFIX anchor points, so its easier to attach a child seat.
Yes I noticed that in the spec sheet. Wanted to use it today when I got the test drive car, the sales rep said i need an additional belt to attach to the car seat. Need to check out some videos on how to use ISOFIX and if the car seat i have supports using ISOFIX. One more goodie in the ecosport
Old 18th October 2015, 01:05   #9476
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Trying to finalize on ecoboost but one thing is stopping me. I test drove 2 cars and in both of them I found the clutch to be on heavier side. For one, SA said it requires servicing but the other one was new with 1000 km. My one major reason to choose petrol is also to have lighter controls. So my query to owners, is the Eco Sport clutch on the heavier side irrespective of petrol/diesel? Otherwise my second option is Honda City which I found with pretty soft clutch pedal though it has other issues.
I have an EcoBoost at home and yes, I find the clutch on heavier side definitely. But do keep in mind, I don't have a lot of experience driving, the only cars that I can compare is a a Chevy Spark I drive occasionally and a "dolphin" Honda city. Both of these are well known to be very light and easy to use, so I can say the EcoBoost is not as light.
I guess the even the new city would have a soft clutch mated to that Honda"slick" gearbox, which Ecoboost is no match for.
But the ecoboost is never as heavy so as to cause a problem with my legs
Old 18th October 2015, 11:27   #9477

Hello All, I own a Ecosport and currently I am looking for a speaker upgrade,
Obvious reason being - I am not totally happy with the sound quality of the factory given music system.
I am currently in US for a month, on discussion with one of my friend who had a speaker upgrade in his VW Polo advised me to get speakers from US.

Now to get the speakers from US, I have common questions boggling my mind which I have listed below
1) I am told the speaker size of Ford ES is 6" dia, is this the right size? the best buy electronic store sales person told me that 6.5" is the common size in circular speakers, I am not confident here since I do not know the ecosport speaker size. a smaller speaker in size and an adapter plate would solve my problem here.
2) On doing some online basic research I got to know that the RMS value of speaker and music system output should be nearly same?
3) Speaker Output 400W/360W ?
4) 3 way speaker or a 2 way speaker ?
5) cone material - paper/polypropylene/Bi-lamina?
6) freq response 50-21,000Hz I could see this figure roughly the same in almost all brands
I thank you in advance for your advise/suggestion on getting the right speakers for my car.
Old 18th October 2015, 16:29   #9478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Hi folks,

I have been peeking into this thread from time to time, and am now considering purchasing the Ecosport 1.5L AT due to it's build quality, safety features etc. It seems to have pretty much everything we need (90% city, 10% highway). The only feature missing is auto-folding mirrors.

I have done a couple of test drives of the ecoboost and felt that it handled potholes and speed-breakers better than my Swift. The clutch was very hard, probably as they were test drive cars but this will not be an issue in the AT.

My main concerns:
1. Ingress may be a bit high for my parents, will need to check. Maybe carry along a small stool if they need it.
2. Since the rear seats are folding there is no permanent metal structure there to prevent luggage from spilling into the rear seats (in case of a rear hit). I believe this is one of the safety features in a Linea.
4. It looks like mileage will be 10kmpl (or lesser) within city, specially given BLR's heavy traffic conditions.

One qs I have is, having driven only manuals all my life - how easy or difficult is it to switch to AT. Tried calling up a couple of driving schools and they don't have any automatics to learn on. Any suggestions since some other folks would have gone through a similar experience. Thanks!

- there is nothing to really to learn for driving an AT. It is an easier way to drive. D=drive, N=neutral (when at long signals or in waiting to relax the 'auto clutch'), P=parking (when switching off the engine) R=reverse. just do not use your left foot on the brake (akin to pressing the clutch) as that can cause harsh braking.

- for ingress get a side step attached.
barcode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 16:33   #9479
Distinguished - BHPian

"Learning" to drive an Automatic...

It is what you don't do that matters. The best hint I had was, until you are completely used to doing nothing with the left leg, keep it tucked up by the seat. It avoids the embarrassing and potentially dangerous effects of "putting your foot on the clutch." Yep... been there, got the red face. Luckily the guy behind me was able to stop.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 20:56   #9480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
- there is nothing to really to learn for driving an AT. It is an easier way to drive. D=drive, N=neutral (when at long signals or in waiting to relax the 'auto clutch'), P=parking (when switching off the engine) R=reverse. just do not use your left foot on the brake (akin to pressing the clutch) as that can cause harsh braking.
- for ingress get a side step attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"Learning" to drive an Automatic...

It is what you don't do that matters.
Thanks, yes we tried it out a test drive today and got the hang of it in a couple of minutes. My wife also told me the trick of keeping left leg grounded; that helped. There was an involuntary urge to use it but managed not to mess up atleast in the test drive

The interesting thing about "D" mode is that it seems car cannot roll back, so that should help in the inclines. Not sure though why the Hill-Assist option is then needed. The other thing I came to know is that at signals one can use the hand-brake on and don't need to press the brake.

Thanks for the side-step tip will check on it - sort of recall reading somewhere that it is not possible to attach in top-end variant.

More qs: We are closing to booking the AT. What of these accessories should I go for: (1) Engine Guard (2) Under Chassis - Anti-Rust coating (3) Cavity Protection. (4) Rear-View Camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks