Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 15:41   #9226
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Test drove the Ecosport 1.5 petrol and 1.5 Diesel back to back.

The 1.5 Petrol felt underpowered. Even the AC felt strained. Unfortunately, they did not have the EcoBoost for comparing. The Diesel felt well powered, but don't know if we should pay the premium for the Diesel for the low running.

With low average running mileage, we want to buy a Petrol 1.5 EcoSport, but I don't find much reviews on it.

This is for replacing our Swift Vxi. We found the Ecosport overall size, ground clearance to be a big plus.
Any help guys?
Old 12th August 2015, 15:58   #9227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

The 1.5 Petrol felt underpowered. Even the AC felt strained. Unfortunately, they did not have the EcoBoost for comparing. The Diesel felt well powered, but don't know if we should pay the premium for the Diesel for the low running.

With low average running mileage, we want to buy a Petrol 1.5 EcoSport, but I don't find much reviews on it.

This is for replacing our Swift Vxi. We found the Ecosport overall size, ground clearance to be a big plus.
Any help guys?
Yesterday I drove 1.5L petrol for the first time (for approximately 12 kms) in city. It felt that the car was grossly under powered particularly while tackling a speed breaker or when moving from a stationary position. It is an irritant that will be very difficult to get used to. I guess ecoboost engine will fare better in terms of response and it will be worth the premium.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:08   #9228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Test drove the Ecosport 1.5 petrol and 1.5 Diesel back to back. The 1.5 Petrol felt underpowered. Even the AC felt strained. Unfortunately, they did not have the EcoBoost for comparing. The Diesel felt well powered, but don't know if we should pay the premium for the Diesel for the low running.
Is Siliguri very hilly? If so, don't consider the EcoBoost - its turbo lag is annoying in the hills. The power is fine, but if your rpm drops below 1500 rpm (e.g. stuck behind slow-moving uphill traffic), the car bogs down, and you'll have to shift down (and maybe even slip the clutch) to get moving.

My parents in the Nilgiris hills test drove the EcoBoost and diesel, and settled for the diesel purely for its driveability over the EcoBoost.

EDIT: Responding to further comment:
Quote:
Arun, Siliguri is not hilly, but the hills are just 10-12 kms away, so we often have to drive up there. I myself drive the Linea T-Jet, but the turbo lag in the T-Jet has not really annoyed me. I will look into this part closely though. Thanks!
OK, I've heard of some turbo lag in the T-Jet. So, if you're fine with that, you should be fine with the EcoBoost.

Last edited by arunphilip : 12th August 2015 at 16:35.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:11   #9229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Yesterday I drove 1.5L petrol for the first time (for approximately 12 kms) in city. It felt that the car was grossly under powered particularly while tackling a speed breaker or when moving from a stationary position. It is an irritant that will be very difficult to get used to. I guess ecoboost engine will fare better in terms of response and it will be worth the premium.
Thanks Sourabh, you have confirmed my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Is Siliguri very hilly? If so, don't consider the EcoBoost - its turbo lag is annoying in the hills. The power is fine, but if your rpm drops below 1500 rpm (e.g. stuck behind slow-moving uphill traffic), the car bogs down, and you'll have to shift down (and maybe even slip the clutch) to get moving.

My parents in the Nilgiris hills test drove the EcoBoost and diesel, and settled for the diesel purely for its driveability over the EcoBoost.

Arun, Siliguri is not hilly, but the hills are just 10-12 kms away, so we often have to drive up there. I myself drive the Linea T-Jet, but the turbo lag in the T-Jet has not really annoyed me. I will look into this part closely though. Thanks!
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 19:23   #9230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Do note the gears "LEARN" your driving style so if one is a passive driver in general and one suddenly want to start driving fast it will not respond as quickly as in the case of a vehicle that is normally driven quickly. Essentially the response would depend on the driving style of the driver in general. So even while test driving an AT the driving style over the last few kms by previous drivers would impact the response that you get.
Yes - I can fully relate to that. Everytime the weekend is over and I start my Monday morning run, the response is a bit different. Weekends, my Ecosport is invariably used by my daughter whose driving style is different from mine.
I guess it has to relearn every Monday.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 21:29   #9231
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

With low average running mileage, we want to buy a Petrol 1.5 EcoSport, but I don't find much reviews on it. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

My parents in the Nilgiris hills test drove the EcoBoost and diesel, and settled for the diesel purely for its driveability over the EcoBoost..
Ok to add further the 1.5 P is better in the AT than in the manual due to 1) the 6 speed DSG box that shifts faster than the mind can think and 2) The S mode and 3) Kickdown and Learning features. So if looking for a 1.5AT pls manage to test drive an AT. DSG box as in VW vehicles changes the equation significantly.

Also in case of both diesel and ecoboost petrol one must be prepared to rip the engine for substantial gains in certain conditions like in the hills. The torque unlike in the 1.5 P is present but post about 1500 rpm and one needs to drive in that band. But if one is rev happy one may like the ecoboost quite a bit.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 08:22   #9232
BHPian

Quote:
Ok to add further the 1.5 P is better in the AT than in the manual due to 1) the 6 speed DSG box that shifts faster than the mind can think and 2) The S mode and 3) Kickdown and Learning features. So if looking for a 1.5AT pls manage to test drive an AT. DSG box as in VW vehicles changes the equation significantly.

Also in case of both diesel and ecoboost petrol one must be prepared to rip the engine for substantial gains in certain conditions like in the hills. The torque unlike in the 1.5 P is present but post about 1500 rpm and one needs to drive in that band. But if one is rev happy one may like the ecoboost quite a bit.
ACM, thanks a lot on your feedback on the 1.5 Petrol automatic. While it was not on the radar, we are now thinking about it. However, it might be difficult to get a test drive as they are available only on order. I will read up the ownership reviews on team-bhp for more insights.
Old 13th August 2015, 11:09   #9233

Hi
This is my first post on Team-BHP and I will try to be as specific as possible. I am planning to move on from my 2008 Swift VDi to something with equal driveability- the confident steering feedback and good brakes; not fan of the pothole bumps creeping in the cabin.
With the yearly KMs on my swift close to about 13000 Kms I am open to both Petrol/Diesel
So now moving up the ladder, I was planning on getting the Ecosport Ecoboost but I feel moving to a petrol which requires downshifting like a diesel car doesnt seem reasonable. Is the turbo-lag really that bad? Does the ecosport handle the pothole bump sounds well?

PS:Also, will the facelift ecosport TDCi get the same tuning as the Aspire.
Old 13th August 2015, 12:33   #9234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyankar85 View Post
Is the turbo-lag really that bad? Does the ecosport handle the pothole bump sounds well?
Only in bumper-to-bumper traffic where I can't floor the accelerator, (otherwise my car will ram the vehicle ahead with the power surge.) Otherwise, once the RPM needle climbs above 2000, the car surges ahead with a nifty turbo kick. Ride quality is subjective as the suspension is on the stiffer side. I suggest you test drive the Ecoboost in city conditions & semi-paved roads to get a first hand feel of the response & handling before you decide on your purchase.
hemant.kamat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 14:59   #9235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The EcoSport AT "CAN BE MADE" to speed away at signals quite easily and quite rapidly. I do it for fun every once in a while but it totally depends on the mood on the day.

The key word is Can be made.

You have multiple options:
1) S Mode
2) Keep the foot depressed in D mode.
3) If already slowly reaching towards the signal in one of the mid gears when it turns green - Then again floor it and activate the Kick Down mode where in the gear will jump downward 1 or 2 gears and surge forward - also useful for overtaking.

Do note the gears "LEARN" your driving style so if one is a passive driver in general and one suddenly want to start driving fast it will not respond as quickly as in the case of a vehicle that is normally driven quickly. Essentially the response would depend on the driving style of the driver in general. So even while test driving an AT the driving style over the last few kms by previous drivers would impact the response that you get.

It is a heavy vehicle but does have a heart and especially in the AT on account of the S and Kickdown modes one can get a quick response. But if one is a sedate driver then it suddenly will not respond too fast with a gentle tap and a fair bit of aggression would be required.

Though not actually timed by me I think the AT 0-100 in S mode will the ACC aggressively depressed should be about 11-12 sec.

EcoBoost with AT though would have been lovely to have.

Tyres do make a difference.
Thanks ACM. That is all I wanted to hear. 11-12 sec. in S mode for 0 to 100 is good. Any idea how many seconds it may be when one floors in D mode? This thing about AT cars learning driving style is interesting. Shouldn't there be a reset button which wipes out previous driver's style and it starts afresh with your style? How to make the car unlearn previous driver's chugging along?
Old 13th August 2015, 22:46   #9236
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Thanks ACM. That is all I wanted to hear. 11-12 sec. in S mode for 0 to 100 is good. Any idea how many seconds it may be when one floors in D mode? This thing about AT cars learning driving style is interesting. Shouldn't there be a reset button which wipes out previous driver's style and it starts afresh with your style? How to make the car unlearn previous driver's chugging along?
Don't know how many kms are required to learn and relearn. It is a continuous process based only on recent driving pattern. So for example driving aggressively even for 2 kms was good enough to change the mannerisms. I think they specified 5 kms or I heard it somewhere not sure. But it is am sure all the recent driving. Am sure the ECU must have a hidden method of resetting this through a combination of inputs to the trip meter or / and the acc and brake pedals. But I doubt even the service centre guys know what that is.
Old 14th August 2015, 05:45   #9237
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know how many kms are required to learn and relearn. It is a continuous process based only on recent driving pattern. So for example driving aggressively even for 2 kms was good enough to change the mannerisms. I think they specified 5 kms or I heard it somewhere not sure. But it is am sure all the recent driving. Am sure the ECU must have a hidden method of resetting this through a combination of inputs to the trip meter or / and the acc and brake pedals. But I doubt even the service centre guys know what that is.

I quite agree with this. I use my wife's Ecosport AT occassionally for both City and Highway use. While in City, the driving is obviously docile limited by the traffice conditions.

My Highway runs involve trips to Nashik or Pune where the responsiveness of the engine does change as I like to rev the engine and accelerate hard. On stretches with some traffic on the highway which neccessiates quick downshifts for rapid accelarstion, I use the S Mode liberally and it always brings a smile to my face. And yes I have accelerated hard enough for the gears to upshift in S Mode, automatically as the engine approaches the redline. That feeling is quite nice, fuel efficiency be dammned.

Also I use the manual overide in S Mode inevitably on Ghat sections to overcome slow moving trucks anf other dimwits who tend to stick to the fast lane and do not believe in yielding to others.

Finally, a major advantage of S Mode I find is that is allows decelaration both during decent and even on flat stretches when one slows down to negotiate speed breakers or other obstacles by downshifting to lower gears and providing engine breaking, which is otherwise absent in an Automatic.

All in all a great package of modern technology, more than adequate performance, good safety features and of course looks that still turn heads.

Btw, the last I checked, Ecosport was not available with the 6 speed AT in the UK markets. This was of course a year ago but it made me happy to know that a Model that sells concurrently in mature markets, is less feature laden than the one sold in India.

Jai Ho. 🇮🇳
AAD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 12:36   #9238
BHPian

Would like to know what is the actual FE of Ecosport AT in city as well as on highway runs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th August 2015, 13:42   #9239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
Would like to know what is the actual FE of Ecosport AT in city as well as on highway runs.

Thanks in advance.
I get around 8 kmpl in the city (with hardly any stretches to cruise along). On the highway it is around 13 but Kerala highways are an exception - they are mainly narrow, twisty and full of traffic and small towns.
I guess on good highway runs one should get over 15.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 13:54   #9240
BHPian

Quote:
ACM, thanks a lot on your feedback on the 1.5 Petrol automatic. While it was not on the radar, we are now thinking about it. However, it might be difficult to get a test drive as they are available only on order. I will read up the ownership reviews on team-bhp for more insights.
Earlier in the same thread (page 585) I have posed my 600+ Kms drive on Ecosport 1.5 AT. In the Engine+ Box combination, it is the engine that matters most. As you already experienced, this petrol engine does not have any range where power could be found. Having a useless engine with a good box won't matter much, other than that you don't need to do the painful task of hunting for power.
WhiteKnight is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks