Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Thanks for that. I will be going today. Will update
Seems to be fine. They said they did a 'reset'

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hello Guys,

Here to provide a couple of updates. As mentioned in some of my earlier posts on this thread, two issues needed some attention.

1) Fuel Smell.
Took the car to the service center. Regarding the fuel smell they said, there was a minor issue with the fuel lid which was sorted. So far so good on that front.

Regards,
Devyaani.
Fuel smell is one issue that Im struggling with my Zest XT. Its only 3 months old now and about 3k driven. Already taken to the service center some 5 times with this issue. My issue was with the breather pipe getting blocked/sealed. They have opened this multiple times and the issue seems to be solved for some days. But it continues soon.
On my recent service they told it wont happen again. But I got the smell during my drive to kerala for sometime. Towards the end of the journey it appeared OK. Last 2-3 days it hasnt happened. But I have to drive atleast 10 kms for this to be tested properly. Will know on weekend when I will do a small drive
Old 7th May 2016, 10:25   #2447
BHPian

Guys,
Someone in the close family is keenly looking to buy a Zest Diesel AMT - XTA.
For the most important reason - it is the cheapest diesel automatic in the market today.

I have, ofcourse, been following this thread religiously since day one.

Nevertheless I have a few questions to all the Zest XTA owners here:

1. The ZEST has a 4th Generation AMT v/s the Nano GenX which has a 5th Generation. Anyone here who knows the difference between the two? Is it only technical like the intel core processors - where there are differences on paper which don't necessarily translate to appreciable differences in performance to the average user (non-enthusiast)

2. Any known niggles or complaints of the ZEST AMT (XMA or XTA) ? Apart from the mud covering for the engine bay.

3. Any discounts being offered by dealers? Approx wait periods? I am looking at purchasing from Concorde, Mumbai. But any other suggestions are welcome.

4. Any news on the (?) Facelift - spotted testing in one of the pics on the Nexon page.

5. Am I missing any other car on the list with the single most important non-negotiable requirement of a DIESEL AMT ? My uncle is not so much for Tata as me. So is there any other option I should seriously be considering?

Thank you for the replies in advance.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 12:50   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

5. Am I missing any other car on the list with the single most important non-negotiable requirement of a DIESEL AMT ? My uncle is not so much for Tata as me. So is there any other option I should seriously be considering?

I think you should also take a look at the Dzire AMT. Both have the same drivetrains the only difference being that it's a maruti so peace of mind is sort of guaranteed. The only other option is the TUV/ NUVOSPORT.
Old 7th May 2016, 13:40   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
2. Any known niggles or complaints of the ZEST AMT (XMA or XTA) ? Apart from the mud covering for the engine bay.

5. Am I missing any other car on the list with the single most important non-negotiable requirement of a DIESEL AMT?
There are no known issues of the diesel AMT in the Zest. My father has one. A 2014 Dec XMA. It is as smooth as a diesel could be and shifts are jerk free, butter smooth too, unless you drive really really hard.
I won't say this is the best VFM car in today's market. The dZire has a inferior build, a Fixed Geometry Turbocharger vs Variable Geometry one of the Tata. In an automatic, low end torque is what you want, not the turbolag of dZire, trust me, plus the features like the HK music system is all just too good for the poor Maruti. The Revotron is not as smooth and people here have raised concerns involving stalling at low speeds. With the diesel however, no single complaint. This should be enough to understand that the diesel Zest is quite reliable and peace of mind is guaranteed.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 14:02   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
For the most important reason - it is the cheapest diesel automatic in the market today.

4. Any news on the (?) Facelift - spotted testing in one of the pics on the Nexon page.

Answering only the questions I can as I have a Zest XT in the family, but it is a petrol manual transmission.

The car was purchased in May/June last year, and has been to the service centre only for regular service since then (once).

There are zero issues, no rattles, no parts falling off, in short it is built like a tank and has good plastics and features to boot.

The mud in the engine bay issue was resolved a long time ago, in face before we purchased the Zest. Ours came with the fix installed from the factory.

As far as I can tell there are no reports of a Zest facelift at this time, though no one has said why the Zest in the Nexon pic was camouflaged.

As stated in the previous post, the Zest beats the Dzire in several parameters including the important ones of space, comfort, features, more powerful engine and quality. The low scheduled service frequency and lack of niggles ensure that you will not need to deal with Tata service much, and when you do they are quite eager to please though at times need better direction than Maruti.

These opinions are based on my experience with the Zest, and Tata service. Hope they help you with your decision.

Last edited by VeluM : 7th May 2016 at 14:04.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 14:02   #2451
BHPian

My TD experience with XMA is written couple of posts above. One of the customers had an experience of AMT gone faulty in middle of trip and car had to be towed to workshop. It was repaired, though. The sales advisor of Concorde, Kochi told that Tata has stopped XTA and now providing alloy wheels with XMA. Please confirm with your SA. Iam delaying my purchase decision as Tata closed down their TASS in Tvm, and just last month a new TASS was opened. Also read somewhere that Maruti was giving 5 lakh km warranty for AMT, but Tata is not offering such a warranty.
Old 7th May 2016, 18:54   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I have also felt this kat-kat kind of noise and some feel on the brake pedal (I assume you meant pedal instead of brake pads) during sudden braking. From my experience of RC390, I believe it is the ABS in action. However, I would have liked if the feedback on pedal was more smoother. As a respite though, the car holds its line under panic braking which is quite reassuring.

Yes, I meant Break Pedal. And yes for the 'holding it's line under panic braking' aspect as well.
to that.

Last edited by Slick : 7th May 2016 at 18:59.
Old 7th May 2016, 20:40   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
While discussing with one of my acquaintances who works at TML, he hinted that Zest may get 1.5 L engine.
Although, he was not giving much information.
Also there is no confirm news on launch.
It could launch at 2017 end or 2018 beginning that's my guess.
Going by an old news wherein TML said that it will launch two cars per year.
2016: Tiago, Kite 5
2017: Hexa, Nexon
So maybe Zest facelift will get pushed in 2018.
My suggestion would be go for current gen Zest AMT.
Old 8th May 2016, 09:36   #2454
BHPian

Hello Bhpians!

After a lot of going back and forth , up and down we as a family have finally decided to go for the Zest Diesel XT after test driving it. Also a new work place has just come up and will require a good diesel for traveling to and fro and that to very soon.

After an inquiry Pandit Auto has no car in stock, will take a month to get me a car, Concorde Motors has a White April Model XT, but sisters think it gives away taxi image of Tata, so white is out , now concorde has a silver and sky grey 2015 December models in their stock and they have offered me free insurance,along with seat covers,mud flaps and floor mats and a a discount on Gold AMC.

So what should i do guys? Also should'nt the pre budget price be for it? what else do i need to be looking into if i go for the December model?

Its a sunday , hoping and waiting for some quick and good advice!

Regards,
Rosaf.
Old 8th May 2016, 19:59   #2455

Quote:
Guys,

1. The ZEST has a 4th Generation AMT v/s the Nano GenX which has a 5th Generation. Anyone here who knows the difference between the two? Is it only technical like the intel core processors - where there are differences on paper which don't necessarily translate to appreciable differences in performance to the average user (non-enthusiast)

3. Any discounts being offered by dealers? Approx wait periods? I am looking at purchasing from Concorde, Mumbai. But any other suggestions are welcome.

I drive zest XMA, done 18K kms and I am absolutely happy with car. AMT is smooth shifting. Car is well build, no rattling so far. Suspension and steering are superb. 5th generation AMT has 'crawl' as soon as you release the break, but zest AMT would move only if you give some throttle. I think this is the main difference between 4th and 5th gen AMT units.
Old 8th May 2016, 22:22   #2456
BHPian

I saw Zesty mention about connectnext app to use navigation on Zest, I could not find same for iPhone. Is there a way use navigation using iPhone with getting displayed on system?
Old 9th May 2016, 16:10   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Got a call today from the dealership where I purchased my Zest. They offered to do a free general checkup. This included engine oil, coolant, windshield wiper fluid check and top up, air filter replacement (after I pushed for the air filter change). They were willing to come over to my residence and do it on a Sunday, if that timing was convenient for me.
Will post updates on how it went after it's done.
This turned out to be an eye wash unfortunately.
The service rep came over and had a look at the vehicle. I had specifically asked for an air filter replacement, but he had forgotten that.
The dealership had promised a check and top up of engine oil and coolant if necessary.
The car did not need a top up, but even if it did, the service rep had not brought along any fluids to top up the vehicle.
He did a quick check of the car and handed over a pen (as a gift) and took a photo of me beside the car (which seemed to be the only real purpose behind this visit).
When I put forth my concerns to him, he profusely promised to schedule a service appointment within 3 days and send over a driver to collect my car and have the issues addressed.
That never happened and it's been more than 2 weeks now. Guess I will have to book an appointment and take the vehicle to the dealership myself, which is not a major hassle as the issues are minor,
but it is disappointing to see what should have been a good PR exercise being turned into an opportunity for reducing customer trust in Tata Motors.
Old 9th May 2016, 16:23   #2458
BHPian

My Tata Zest at 14.5K kms showed its first niggle last week. I could sense a rubbing/grating sound when pressing the clutch & brake together.

Concorde service agent detected it as a cable fault & replaced it. List price was 400, but 0 charge to me as I have gold AMC.

An idiot had also bumped into my rear at a signal when I was driving in Aurangabad & broke the reflector on the bumper. This was replaced for Rs 450.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 14:06   #2459
BHPian

Booked a Dune Beige XT QJT Zest earlier today from Concorde Motors , its a March 2016 manufactured model as per the VIN.

Will be going for PDI tomorrow and hopefully delivery by 12th of May ie. day after tomorrow.

Except the absence of any meaningful and useful bottle holders, there is not a single thing i dont like about the Zest. My family doesnt even miss the bottle holders.

All in all very happy and also the dealership experience has been good so far.

Regards,
Rohan.
rosaf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 16:42   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Hello Guys,
So far no sudden power loss experienced after the changes were made. There is still a bit of lag with the AC on. But i would still like to drive a bit before i provide a concrete update.

How is this holding up now ? Any further occurrences of the power loss problem after the air filter change ?
Asking because I am experiencing the same thing in my Zest XMS RT as well. I do not think I will be able to recreate this problem in front of the service center technicians as its random in nature, but I intend to push them for an air filter update if this has helped in your case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks