Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 02:47   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Is it possible to enable the automatic door locking on the i20?
Can the dealer enable it for a price?
It's a very convenient feature they've left out.
Hi,

Not it's not possible. I contacted at least two dealerships (Shreenath and Sharayu Hyundai, Mumbai) to confirm and both said that the G-Scan settings for this specific car doesn't even show the option to enable/disable.

Hyundai shouldn't have done this! Not in the elite i20. It's the so called premium hatchback after all.
Old 18th May 2015, 10:05   #722
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Ok,

Same thing happened yesterday, the brakes became so hard, as if the engine is not running, I replicated it by being on second gear on a slight slope road, put the foot off the accelerator, and kept pressing the brake every 5 seconds to slow the car down, every time the pedal was getting harder than earlier, and at one moment it became super hard, I pushed it with a good force, the pedal did not depress as much as it does normally, but it did stop the car immediately.

Now I get what the SA was telling in broken english, I think he meant that the brakes do apply, but the pedal wont depress so much, or one will feel them to be too hard, or something like that..

I have faced it twice in a day, so would be aware of what to do,when it happens again, please do check this with your car, and let me know.

Regards
Shailesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
This random reports of brake related issues are disturbing. It could become a major safety concern. Hyundai Service centers have any offered any consistent reason for these occurrences?

Guys don't worry at all
The phenomenon is common to all vehicles and is known by the name "BRAKE FADE"

Quote:
Vehicle braking system fade, or brake fade, is the reduction in stopping power that can occur after repeated or sustained application of the brakes, especially in high load or high speed conditions. Brake fade can be a factor in any vehicle that utilizes a friction braking system including automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, and bicycles.
Brake fade is caused by a buildup of heat in the braking surfaces and the subsequent changes and reactions in the brake system components and can be experienced with both drum brakes and disc brakes. Loss of stopping power, or fade, can be caused by friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade. Brake fade can be significantly reduced by appropriate equipment and materials design and selection, as well as good cooling.
Brake fade occurs most often during high performance driving or when going down a long, steep hill. It is more prevalent in drum brakes due to their configuration. Disc brakes are much more resistant to brake fade because the heat can be vented away from the rotor and pads more easily, and have come to be a standard feature in front brakes for most vehicles.
The above mentioned stuff was pulled out of wikipedia for your reading pleasure. Also, our i20 comes with non ventilated disk brakes which makes the heat dissipation a sweat which in turn reduces the braking power.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th May 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Excess smiley removed. Only 2 smileys allowed per post. Thanks!
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 21:47   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Guys don't worry at all
The phenomenon is common to all vehicles and is known by the name "BRAKE FADE"
The confidence is outstanding. With experts like SS Traveller mentioning this phenomenon, you really thought that the idea of brake fade never once crossed our minds?

As your own referred post mentions, brake fade occurs after repeated or sustained application of the brakes, especially in high load or high speed conditions. Firstly The phenomenon that we mentioned occurs abruptly and without a warning. Could be just minutes after starting the engine, leave alone repeated application or getting to high speeds. Secondly, if it was fade, then releasing the pedal and pressing again would not have applied full brake force. Reduced stopping power would have continued until the brakes are allowed to cool down.

Please read the detailed actual incidents in previous posts before posting such conclusive statements.
Old 19th May 2015, 00:37   #724
BHPian

Let me throw my two rather worthless two cents into this. As per the report of SST Sir, Predator Sir and Aspire Sir it seems to me to an issue with the design of the vacuum brake booster unit. I think Sagarpadaki Sir mentioned this a few posts earlier. So the question i think goes to the design of the booster unit and the vacuum generation.

The kind of problem being discussed is similar to pumping the brake when the engine is off (on my Alto atleast) the pedal becoming super hard and cannot be pushed down; but, moment the engine is switched on, things are back to normal. Since this problem is occurring even with the engine on, I'm thinking its a design defect in the unit and Hyundai needs to look into it.

The working of a booster is succinctly explained in the "How things work" book and paraphrasing from there, the creation of a vacuum at the master cylinder end and the inflow of air at the pedal end creates a pull, drawing the piston towards cylinder end generating the braking force. The hardness in the pedal or the lack of braking effect is due to a lower assist. Now why that is happening I'm not qualified or knowledgeable enough to understand.

If I'm wrong its the book's fault, in the off chance I'm right
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:32   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post
I was dis appointed by the Climate Control unit of this car. The car was full(5 adults with average weight of 75KG's)

The Climate Control unit seemed to be inadequate to me, It took a really long time to get the temperature down. Does anybody else have a similar experience.Note: My car is two weeks old and has done 700KM's till date
You have not mentioned the variant. Is it a Petrol variant by any chance?

I have a crdi Asta and find the ACC good even after the car was parked in the sun with an ambient temperature of ~37C. Took around 3 minutes (not more than that) to chill the cabin; the rear A/c vents were helpful here.

I have since then added magnetic sun shades for the windows which have improved the effectiveness even further. Reason for adding the shades was not because the AC was not effective, but more because I would like the ACC temperature set to be around 23-24C; but the hands and body parts exposed to the strong sun rays made it very difficult and hence.

Last edited by vinjosep : 19th May 2015 at 14:35.
Old 19th May 2015, 14:53   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I have a crdi Asta and find the ACC good even after the car was parked in the sun with an ambient temperature of ~37C. Took around 3 minutes (not more than that) to chill the cabin; the rear A/c vents were helpful here.
Absolutely, the AC is fantastic for the CRDi Asta version, we in Delhi are now facing 43C temperature and the cabin cools in no time, with ACC set at 22C.

Quote:
I have since then added magnetic sun shades for the windows which have improved the effectiveness even further.
I ordered the same, but they didn't fit well and were also leaving scratch marks at the point of contact (where the magnet is placed). With every closing and opening of the door, they kept moving from the desired frame.

How is the fitment in your case?
Bubby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:25   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post

I ordered the same, but they didn't fit well and were also leaving scratch marks at the point of contact (where the magnet is placed). With every closing and opening of the door, they kept moving from the desired frame.

How is the fitment in your case?
I'm not happy with the fit either. However I haven't noticed any scratches so far. Will check for them today evening and revert. However at 1400 rupees, the shades were worth the trouble. Bought them a local accessories shop.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:44   #728
BHPian

Quote:
You have not mentioned the variant. Is it a Petrol variant by any chance?
Yes, I own the Asta(P).

Is the CC unit less powerful in the petrol model than the diesel brand ?

Please advise.
Old 19th May 2015, 16:27   #729
BHPian

Hey Elite i20 users!

How many of you have got a Petrol variant?

A colleague of mine is interested in picking up an Asta variant, in Petrol only.

Running is very low, less than 1K per month, and he will be the only driver. Wife will be the occasional passenger.

Browsing through the recent posts, it seems to indicate that the petrol variant has a weaker AC than the Diesel variant. Can an actual owner comment on this?

Also, what sort of mileage can one expect the petrol variant to return in the city? 10-12 kmpl?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks & Cheers!
Old 19th May 2015, 18:26   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Let me throw my two rather worthless two cents into this. As per the report of SST Sir, Predator Sir and Aspire Sir it seems to me to an issue with the design of the vacuum brake booster unit. I think Sagarpadaki Sir mentioned this a few posts earlier. So the question i think goes to the design of the booster unit and the vacuum generation.

The kind of problem being discussed is similar to pumping the brake when the engine is off (on my Alto atleast) the pedal becoming super hard and cannot be pushed down; but, moment the engine is switched on, things are back to normal. Since this problem is occurring even with the engine on, I'm thinking its a design defect in the unit and Hyundai needs to look into it.
What Sagarpadki mentioned indeed seems to be the right, and most logical cause for the problem.

Quote:
Yes, I own the Asta(P).

Please advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
A colleague of mine is interested in picking up an Asta variant, in Petrol only.

Browsing through the recent posts, it seems to indicate that the petrol variant has a weaker AC than the Diesel variant. Can an actual owner comment on this?

Also, what sort of mileage can one expect the petrol variant to return in the city? 10-12 kmpl?
To the best of my knowledge, both the petrol and diesel units come with the same 122cc compressor. So there should not be a difference in cooling between both. I took a long(ish) TD of both variants at the time of purchase, and felt the AC on both to be more than adequate. But this in November, not the best of times to judge the performance of an AC unit.

And yes, the petrol mileage should be 10 to 12 kmpl in city.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 18:52   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
To the best of my knowledge, both the petrol and diesel units come with the same 122cc compressor. So there should not be a difference in cooling between both. I took a long(ish) TD of both variants at the time of purchase, and felt the AC on both to be more than adequate. But this in November, not the best of times to judge the performance of an AC unit.

And yes, the petrol mileage should be 10 to 12 kmpl in city.
Great! Thanks for the clarification!

I guess a TD is in order for him.
The price difference between the petrol & diesel top end Asta trim is about 1.5 big ones here in Chennai. And that's quite a lot of cash, any way you look at it!

I haven't seen any petrol Elite i20 ownership threads here. Although many people seem to have bought the petrol variant, if we look at the official review thread. Wonder why! Is the petrol engine reeeally that bad? I know it isn't as good as the diesel, but is it such a massive deal breaker for someone who likes a cool looking but practical hatch that isn't a Fiat?

For someone who wants a stylish looking petrol hatch, from the B2 segment, I really don't see any choices other than the i20. Am I right?
Old 19th May 2015, 20:18   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
No scratches so far. Am not going to take any chances, so let me see if I can take some precautionary measures. The cloth around the magnet is too thin for my liking and can cause headaches soon.

Quote:
Yes, I own the Asta(P).

Please advise.
I would suggest getting sunshades which cover the windows (the magnetic variety shouldn't cost you much) and check if there is a difference in the perception. On my test drives I did find the ACC on petrol equally good.

Quote:
Hey Elite i20 users!How many of you have got a Petrol variant?

A colleague of mine is interested in picking up an Asta variant, in Petrol only.Running is very low, less than 1K per month, and he will be the only driver. Wife will be the occasional passenger.Browsing through the recent posts, it seems to indicate that the petrol variant has a weaker AC than the Diesel variant. Can an actual owner comment on this?

Also, what sort of mileage can one expect the petrol variant to return in the city? 10-12 kmpl?Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks & Cheers!
I'm not sure about the compressor capacity for the petrol variant. Hence can't comment.

However I did take multiple test drives on the petrol variant with the outside temperature hovering around 30C. I found it to be at par with the diesel. Again, the car was not fully loaded on those drives. Also could not discern any difference in the power when the ACC was turned on.

The power delivery etc for the petrol version, was good up until around 70kmph after which the engine didn't feel as eager as the diesel. A good city car, the petrol definitely is. The upside is that it's far far silent than its diesel sibling, making the cabin a wonderful place to be in.

On highways the diesel variant rules. Awwwesome power after the rpm crosses 2K mark in the sixth gear

Btw, snowmane can comment on the actual fuel efficiency I guess.....
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 20:28   #733
BHPian

Quote:

Btw, snowmane can comment on the actual fuel efficiency I guess.....
I have completed approximately 800KM as of now. Ill have the figures in the next two weeks.
snowmane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 22:46   #734
BHPian

Quote:
For someone who wants a stylish looking petrol hatch, from the B2 segment, I really don't see any choices other than the i20. Am I right?
Ask your friend to test drive Swift ZXI once. Compared to i20, Swift looses on back seat space, boot space, marginally poor external build quality, few less features than the Elite i20 and this is it.

Swift wins hands down when it comes to driving pleasure. The sorted suspension, well balanced ride, reasonably good handling and steering feedback, well controlled body roll makes this car a pleasure to drive. The K12M engine is a gem and loves to be revved. The FE display in MID is way too optimistic though but expect 14-15 kmpl in city conditions.

Ask your friend to take longish back to back test drives of both the cars and make a sensible choice and now since Swift is available in new colors too such as Granite Grey, Fire Red and Violet which might help to add an exclusivity factor

Last edited by Sherlocked : 19th May 2015 at 22:48.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 23:02   #735
BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
I haven't seen any petrol Elite i20 ownership threads here. Although many people seem to have bought the petrol variant, if we look at the official review thread. Wonder why! Is the petrol engine reeeally that bad? I know it isn't as good as the diesel, but is it such a massive deal breaker for someone who likes a cool looking but practical hatch that isn't a Fiat?

If you drive in city and with max 2 people, it's certainly not a deal breaker. Depends on your expectations. If you want performance then certainly it's not there. A proper TD will help you choose.

I have driven close to 11000 KMs. For me the lowest I have got is 12 and max 18 till now. My drives include Highways or just drivable village roads.

Last edited by ckranjan : 19th May 2015 at 23:09.
ckranjan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks