Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 10:04   #856

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Hi Guys,

I guess today I felt a brake related issue.
Today I was traveling in a slope with gravel spread. There was a vehicle moving in front of me which was so slow. So I had to apply my brakes intermittently. Suddenly I felt like the brake bit is reducing and increasing automatically and with a sound kit-tik-kit-tik-kit-tik so fast. I removed my leg, reapplied the brake and it was fine. Is it something like this which happened to others, or is it just my imagination? Everything for just 1 second or so. So I cant confirm
I am right there with you on this !
Similar thing happens with me. Downward slope. Light braking. Uneven surface. Brake gives a feedback that can be felt on the left foot. Multiple times.
When i remove my foot and reapply, everything works just fine.
I asked the dealership when i gave my car for first service, they said that all i20 would have this. its the "ABS" !
Still doesn't make me feel any better. However i never felt that brakes got any harder to press while driving or multiple braking in succession.
blood_velocity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 13:49   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_velocity View Post
Similar thing happens with me. Downward slope. Light braking. Uneven surface. Brake gives a feedback that can be felt on the left foot. Multiple times.
I asked the dealership when i gave my car for first service, they said that all i20 would have this. its the "ABS" !
Still doesn't make me feel any better. However i never felt that brakes got any harder to press while driving or multiple braking in succession.
As the people said it is nothing but ABS working internally...
Old 7th July 2015, 16:52   #858
BHPian

Quote:

Wow, good to know that am not all alone. Is it really ABS? Coz if so, why it can be felt on the brake peal itself? Happened only one time for me any how.
Old 8th July 2015, 07:36   #859
BHPian

Hyundai is updating the elite i20 page on their website as that page is down. Hope they update it with the new sat nav infotainment system and possibly projector headlamps
Old 8th July 2015, 11:34   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Wow, good to know that am not all alone. Is it really ABS? Coz if so, why it can be felt on the brake peal itself? Happened only one time for me any how.
It has happened quite a few times with me.!
I agree, ABS should work quietly and there should be no feedback on the pedal. But for some reason, it does feel on the pedal.
I have am having a hard time getting over this. This is the only thing that bothers me in this awesome car.
Old 8th July 2015, 16:53   #861

Hi all ,

As mentioned earlier i have Booked Elite i20 Asta 1.2 Petrol through Shreenath Hyundai. I made a payment of 30k. I am taking a loan of 6 Lacs and rest cash.

Please advice me when should i inform the bank to disbursed to the loan to the Dealer ?
Also should i pay the remaining cash amount now or when i get VIN number post allocation and the car lands in Mumbai for registration.

Also one more thing how much time does it take for the car to be allocated and VIN number is received. Dealer said that the waiting period now for petrol model is 30 days.
Kindly assist for the same
Old 8th July 2015, 17:53   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks22402 View Post
...Please advice me when should i inform the bank to disbursed to the loan to the Dealer ?
Also should i pay the remaining cash amount now or when i get VIN number post allocation and the car lands in Mumbai for registration.

Also one more thing how much time does it take for the car to be allocated and VIN number is received. Dealer said that the waiting period now for petrol model is 30 days.
Kindly assist for the same
Congratulations on booking the car!

Ideally, no need to make ANY payments after you've booked the car, TILL the car arrives in the stockyard.

Once the car is in the stockyard, head on out, bright & early to complete the PDI.

Make sure you decode the VIN. 17 digit VIN is stamped on the left rear quarter panel, and the actual 19 digit VIN is under the drivers seat.

Please do check the last digit of the 19 digit VIN. It should reveal the month of manufacture.

Once you're satisfied, please disburse the remaining amount you have agreed to pay on your own through cheque/whatever medium is agreed between you & the dealer.

Please tell the bank to disburse the loan amount after that.

As far as I know, waiting period for the petrol i20 is around 4-6 weeks. VIN number should be allocated to you by the time the car comes into the stockyard.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 8th July 2015 at 17:55.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 19:28   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has happened quite a few times with me.!
I agree, ABS should work quietly and there should be no feedback on the pedal. But for some reason, it does feel on the pedal.
I have am having a hard time getting over this. This is the only thing that bothers me in this awesome car.
ABS kicking in does feel like that in all cars if I am not wrong. It does so in the Altis and Sunny atleast and the first few times even I was similarly alarmed with all the sudden grating noise and what not. So I don't think there is any need for you to worry over this.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 19:31   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
ABS kicking in does feel like that in all cars if I am not wrong. It does so in the Altis and Sunny atleast and the first few times even I was similarly alarmed with all the sudden grating noise and what not. So I don't think there is any need for you to worry over this.
hmmm ! interesting.
I ave driven honda city and duster with ABS. I don't get feedback on pedal on those.
Anyways, as long as brakes apply themselves, all is well
Old 8th July 2015, 20:02   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm ! interesting.
I ave driven honda city and duster with ABS. I don't get feedback on pedal on those.
Anyways, as long as brakes apply themselves, all is well
You should possibly try doing some panic braking and then look for the similar noise in those cars. On the other hand, the sound you are describing above might really be due to some other issue and not because of the ABS. From what I have observed and experiences, ABS makes a certain loud grating noise whenever it is activated.
Old 8th July 2015, 20:06   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You should possibly try doing some panic braking and then look for the similar noise in those cars. On the other hand, the sound you are describing above might really be due to some other issue and not because of the ABS. From what I have observed and experiences, ABS makes a certain loud grating noise whenever it is activated.
Its not the noise that i am concerned about.
It the pedal pushing back thats makes me wonder whats happening.
It goes front and back in quick successions. and is felt against the left foot.
like i said, i have driven other cars in various scenarios, never did i felt a feedback like this from brakes. Never drove a hyundai with ABS. so not sure if its a hyundai thing.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:59   #867
BHPian

Quote:
like i said, i have driven other cars in various scenarios, never did i felt a feedback like this from brakes. Never drove a hyundai with ABS. so not sure if its a hyundai thing.
Guys,
From my personal experience having driven 18k kms now, there is absolutely nothing to panic about the ABS and you will get used to it within a month. I have experienced all sorts of braking now (including panic braking when a share auto all of a sudden entered the freeway) and i was able to brake on time. Enjoy your new car and you will love every mile of your drive
ssengo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 12:13   #868
BHPian

Quote:
ABS activates only when the sensors detect that one/more of the wheels are about to get locked and start to skid. When sensors detect these conditions, they push back on the brake pedal so that the braking is not done temporarily and the wheel start rotating for traction. So yes, you will feel the vibration only when the tyres are about to lock.

You can probably take the car to a open ground where it is with gravel and sand and safe to experiment and try to make the wheel lock-up and see how the ABS behaves.
praveen_v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 12:16   #869
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a 2013 igen i20 CRDi and I do not find the ABS really confidence inspiring. The gap between the brake release and engage is too big on a slippery surface like a broken road or even while raining. So when the ABS releases the brake you feel as if the pedal is pushing back against your foot. By the time the ABS module re-engages the brake after releasing there is all probability of crashing into something. On a perfect paved dry road the ABS is really good and stopping power is awesome. I think this is specific to Hyundai or maybe only i20. Never felt this way on my Ciaz. Feel it is the way the ABS is calibrated on the Hyundai. So I have decided not to push my luck too hard on the i20 even though it is the most powerful car that I currently own. And Yes, it is more noisy on the Hyundai with clanking and grating when the ABS kicks in.

Last edited by alphahere : 10th July 2015 at 12:25.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 13:08   #870
BHPian

Hey folks, any way to store the phone contacts in the car's internal memory. Every time i restart the car i have to download the contacts. Even though it's only a double press of the call button i someone see only the last contact that i called. After another turn off and on i get a full list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks