Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:29   #1336
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
I getting this loud grinding noise when i move from ignition ON to OFF. It happens irrespective of engine running.
A similar kind of sound i have heard in my friend petrol elite, which was found to be related to the air-con circulation modes. In elite every time we start the car, the circulation mode changes itself (first to the foot then to the desired mode). My friend visited HASS for the solution of this noise, SA concluded the same thing that it is due to air-con and said that whole dashboard has to be open for the repair work ,to which my friend denied and said he can live with this sound as it is causing no harm.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:59   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
I getting this loud grinding noise when i move from ignition ON to OFF. It happens irrespective of engine running.

I'm attaching the recording of the sound.
Though I am not able to access the recording (maybe some issues) but what i can figure out is that you are talking about the steering lock and other electronic locks that happen while switching off the car. If you notice, all the electronics like power windows and power steering are still active for few seconds even if you take out the keys or switch completely off (for the push button) and only after a while they stop working and the 'grinding' noise comes only after that. What i think it to be is the noise of those locks securing everything. I own a petrol Elite i20 Asta and I always get it too once i switch the car off, obviously after a while.

The above point is solely based upon my own observation and personal understanding, I may be completely wrong. If anyone else has to say something about it, they are welcomed.

Quote:
A similar kind of sound i have heard in my friend petrol elite, which was found to be related to the air-con circulation modes. In elite every time we start the car, the circulation mode changes itself (first to the foot then to the desired mode). My friend visited HASS for the solution of this noise, SA concluded the same thing that it is due to air-con and said that whole dashboard has to be open for the repair work
I don't think it has anything to do with the circulation modes of AC as ckranjan mentions that it only comes when he switch off the car from on. Moreover, even my elite i20 first throws the air to the foot and then to the desired mode. It may have something to do with the automatic climate control as it happens when AC is switched on through auto button and I suppose its normal.
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:03   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldrifter View Post
A similar kind of sound i have heard in my friend petrol elite, which was found to be related to the air-con circulation modes.
Since several of you have the same kind of problems you could complete the batch the cars were manufactured and compare if the problems are specific for that batch.

By the way i heard a light clunk yesterday when i was coming down my office parking at a slow speed. It sounded like i went on a small metal rod, and felt like some parts in the suspension hit against each other (the road was clear). Did not hear it anytime later but will keep my ears open. So far I've felt the Elite to be very solid without any weird behavior.

Quote:

A faint noise of this kind was there before but it has now become louder.
Heard your audio yesterday, and it sounds clickety like a cassette player, or electronically like a relay being switched on and off, but it's still a bit loud. Advise you to consult with the service center.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2015 at 12:40. Reason: Back to back posts, please use EDIT once the post is Approved. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:23   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Though I am not able to access the recording (maybe some issues) but what i can figure out is that you are talking about the steering lock and other electronic locks that happen while switching off the car. If you notice, all the electronics like power windows and power steering are still active for few seconds even if you take out the keys or switch completely off (for the push button) and only after a while they stop working and the 'grinding' noise comes only after that. What i think it to be is the noise of those locks securing everything. I own a petrol Elite i20 Asta and I always get it too once i switch the car off, obviously after a while.

Moreover, even my elite i20 first throws the air to the foot and then to the desired mode. It may have something to do with the automatic climate control as it happens when AC is switched on through auto button and I suppose its normal.
Yes, if its a slight grinding noise from steering column that it is normal and it comes both at the time of starting and turning off the car. This sound i have heard only in Asta and Sportz "o" model as they both push button start system. I think ckranjan is having sportz model which does not comes with push button start system.

Also, i have also described "Elite i20 first throws the air to the foot and then to the desired mode" as a default phenomena but during this one of my friend elite make some sorts of sound too, while switching car on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
Since several of you have the same kind of problems you could complete the batch the cars were manufactured and compare if the problems are specific for that batch.
My elite is Spotrz "o" crdi purchased in the month of april, 2015 and manufactured also in the same month.

In my friend circle (total of 5 friends including me) all are having elite.
Friend 1- Sportz crdi bought on nov, 2014
Friend 2- Sportz "o" vtvt bought on feb, 2015
Friend 3- Asta crdi bought on march, 2015
Friend 4- Asta crdi bought on july, 215

The front suspension noise (due to faulty bushes) was first noticed by friend 2, than subsequently by all of us.
The noise from air-con circulation modes was also noticed by, friend 2 only.
No acceleration in 5th gear and left headlight (fungus formation) both these problems were noticed by me only.
Dieseldrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:42   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldrifter View Post
A similar kind of sound i have heard in my friend petrol elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the circulation modes of AC as ckranjan mentions that it only comes when he switch off the car from on. Moreover, even my elite i20 first throws the air to the foot and then to the desired mode. It may have something to do with the automatic climate control as it happens when AC is switched on through auto button and I suppose its normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
Heard your audio yesterday, and it sounds clickety like a cassette player, or electronically like a relay being switched on and off, but it's still a bit loud. Advise you to consult with the service center.
Thanks for reply. Yes its a bit loud and that's what has got me worried.

It can't be because of AC. AC was off the whole time. My SA was saying that its the sound of the instrument cluster when it switches off.

I will send the recording to him today. Lets see what he has to say.

Today the sound was less when i checked in the morning. Will update after i hear from my SA and will also check again in the evening.

Edit : Mine is a October'14 Sportz petrol model.

Last edited by ckranjan : 23rd December 2015 at 14:45.
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:31   #1341
BHPian

Wondering if someone got around to changing rear speakers. Factory fitted rear speakers are pretty much useless. For rear passengers to hear 'complete' sound, front passengers have to go deaf.

Is the rear slot large enough for 6.5" speakers or do we have to settle for 5.5" ones? Any decent options for simple swap with aftermarket 5.5" speakers?
Old 24th December 2015, 02:00   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Wondering if someone got around to changing rear speakers. Factory fitted rear speakers are pretty much useless. For rear passengers to hear 'complete' sound, front passengers have to go deaf.

Is the rear slot large enough for 6.5" speakers or do we have to settle for 5.5" ones? Any decent options for simple swap with aftermarket 5.5" speakers?
Did you try to adjust Fader? The simple solution to avoid the hassle of replacement if rear seats aren't filled usually.

If you are really keen on changing speakers, I would suggest you to opt 6x9 coaxials on parcel tray or MDF tray as they produce much better bass.
Old 24th December 2015, 08:59   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Also, i have also described "Elite i20 first throws the air to the foot and then to the desired mode" as a default phenomena but during this one of my friend elite make some sorts of sound too, while switching car on or off.
My apologies. I got confused while reading and thought that you are stating it as your issue.

Quote:
Yes, if its a slight grinding noise from steering column that it is normal and it comes both at the time of starting and turning off the car. This sound i have heard only in Asta and Sportz "o" model as they both push button start system. I think ckranjan is having sportz model which does not comes with push button start system.
Since the SA of ckranjan says that it is from instrument cluster so I don't think this 'normal' noise is exclusive to push button models.

P.S. :- Mine is a late 2014 Asta Petrol model, don't remember the exact month. Will check and let you all know.
Old 24th December 2015, 17:10   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Required Advice on Elite i20 Engine Oil and Gear Oil.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20151223_154449_hdr.jpg
Hyundai Motors India Ltd recommends Engine Oil meeting ACEA B4 specifications for Elite i20 Diesel (No specific Grade is mentioned).

I have searched and found out some oils meeting the above ACEA B4 (Not in particular order)-

1. Gulf Formula GX
The above oil meets/exceeds the following performance standards-
a. API SN service specification (Petrol Engine specification)
b. ACEA A3/B4

Recommended for use in:
Latest generation high performance petrol engines in cars and UVs, including those with multi-valve engines, turbo compressors and high cylinder capacity.
Latest generation high performance diesel engines in cars and UVs, including those with direct injection, with or without common rail.

2. Mobil Super 3000 X2 5w40
The above oil meets/exceeds the following performance standards-
a. API SN service specification (Again Petrol Engine specification)
b. ACEA A3/B4

3. GS Caltex Kixx PAO 5W40
The above oil meets ACEA A3/B4.

4. GS Caltex Kixx Gold Supreme 15W40
The above link does not specify about ACEA specifications met by the above oil.

5. Shell Helix Ultra 5w40

I don't want to invest in Full synthetic Oil given the high cost involved (Synthetics from Mobil and Shell might cost bomb compared to other Small-Less Popular Players).
All of the above except No. 4 are Fully Synthetics as far I understood from the respective links.

Another query is regarding Gear Oil Also I am unable to find 70W GL-4 Gear Oil for Elite i20. Bharat Petroleum used to have (Don't know current conditions) Mak 80W Gear Oil.
HMIL recommends Gear Oil meeting API Service GL-4, SAE 70W (Hyundai genuine transaxle fluid)

Please guide me on above points.

EDIT: -
I doubt any 15W40 Mineral Oil meet ACEA B4 .
But 15W40 being Mineral Oil it suits better to my requirements of low cost as well as our Indian Hot conditions.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 24th December 2015 at 17:38.
Old 24th December 2015, 23:16   #1345
BHPian

Just one advice from my side.

If your car is in warranty period, change factory oil at the service center.

Why?
To avoid loss of warranty

Why my warranty will be void?
Your service center wont be changing the engine oil with an outside bought oil. So if you change the oil in an outside place it wont be documented in the service cycle. So warranty void.

Please take these points into concern before searching for aftermarket oils.
Old 25th December 2015, 00:46   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme
If your car is in warranty period, change factory oil at the service center.
I got the Engine Oil changed with ASC supplied oil at 10000kms (2nd Service. Did not change oil during 1st Service of 1200kms though).

The Engine Oil was supplied by me- M&M FEO oil 15W40 and changed at ASC during 20000kms (3rd Service). The Oil Filter was bought at ASC.

I have more confidence in a Hyundai Car unlike our previous Tata Indigo XL (LWB) Dicor. No offense meant to Tata Vehicle Owners.
I don't want to use the Elite, frightening from Dealer that I will lose warranty if I dont buy Lubes from him.

I care for our car more than dealer.

Sorry forgot to mention that during 3rd Service I was told by the Service Manager that they (ASC) use 5W30 Engine oil. Not sure about API specifications though.
Old 25th December 2015, 10:14   #1347
BHPian

Here in my area, they does not permit swapping of oils. I tried 4-5 dealerships and everywhere the same answer.
Old 26th December 2015, 12:35   #1348
BHPian

I have been given these list of accessories to choose from - worth 10k from the Hyundai dealer - so far am only sure of the outer car cover and the mud flaps - any other suggestions are solicited. I am going to get the car seats done from Karlsson. The variant is the Asta Option Pack - so there are limited options for accessories as most are included.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-hyundai-i20-accessories_1.jpg  

Last edited by invidious : 26th December 2015 at 12:40.
Old 30th December 2015, 15:38   #1349
BHPian

Off late, the air from the AC vents (AC off, just blower) has a foul smell. Its happening for the past 2 days, on and off. Considering the car is ~2 months old, i am not sure what to expect. Yes the place i stay is very dusty, but even then, 2 months seem to be too soon for me to change the cabin filters. I will check them out once i am home today. Depending on what i find, is there a way to clean these filters? Or replacement is the only option?
Old 30th December 2015, 16:07   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
Off late, the air from the AC vents (AC off, just blower) has a foul smell. Its happening for the past 2 days, on and off. Considering the car is ~2 months old, i am not sure what to expect. Yes the place i stay is very dusty, but even then, 2 months seem to be too soon for me to change the cabin filters. I will check them out once i am home today. Depending on what i find, is there a way to clean these filters? Or replacement is the only option?
There is a separate thread on this topic. Its not an uncommon occurrence. Providing the link here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3233991

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks