Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 13:29   #1366
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
I go till 80, slot in 5th, accelerate - no response
Keep revs beyond 2200 rpm, go to 100, slot in 6th, accelerate (at 1900-2000 rpm) - no response.
1. Have you used only cars with naturally aspired before this point?
2. How many kilometers you have covered on your new car?

After answering these questions, I will be able to give you some more tips. By that time, the Elite uses a fixed geometry waste gas turbocharger opposed from the variable turbochargers found in New Gen cars. Yes, the reliability for fixed geometry turbocharger is more, but it also results in an added turbo lag. A turbo charger will spool only after it gets enough waste gas from the engine exhaust. So getting the "required amount" of waste gas may vary at times based on the engine usage pattern.

If you can slick shift the i20 above 2750RPM, then only she can deliver you with the best performance.

Why?

The answer is, because of gearing.

Say, you rev her up to 2750 rpm in 2nd gear and then change the gear to 3rd. The RPMs will loop down to 2250 or even less than that (Still in the turbo reign)

But, if you rev her upto 2000 rpm in 2nd gear and then change the gear to 3rd, the RPMs will loop down to as low as 1500 rpm.

If you don't believe me, just try by yourself.

So what is to be changed is mostly the driving pattern and not the car itself. To extract the best possible performance from her, always maintain the engine in the sweet spot. Once you practices it, viola.

As opposed with the i20, if we take the aluminum diesel heart of the city or the jazz, It offers near 0 turbo lag in which this elastic band effect is almost nullified. This is mostly due to the VGT (Variable Gate Turbo) which is used in those cars. Hope it is clear now
vishnurajanme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 14:26   #1367
BHPian

Team, Please share your experience if any one applied 3M gloss black on the White Elite i20 roof. I checked with the nearby 3M store, they quotes around 290 per sq.ft. I'd like to apply on the wing mirrors as well (with the impression of A class). I've not seen any single white i20 in Chennai having this setup so far (there are few with matt black).

During the auto expo last month, I came to know the brand "hexis" from pitstop, they quotes only 3.5K and the reviews says it's better than the 3M brand. Please share your comments to proceed further.

Last edited by Jebs : 4th January 2016 at 14:27. Reason: additional info
Old 4th January 2016, 15:03   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balachandran View Post
Hi All,

Suddenly on 31st December 2015 at 12:00 AM, my 2 months old Asta (0) infotainment clock shows different time which is about 14 hrs ahead.
I tried to change the date and time, but could not find the option in infotainment system.
Any ideas? Why date and time changed, and how to change date and time?
It happens from time to time and lasts almost 12 hours before the system is back to normal. I haven't found a solution to the problem yet, but its a common issue with the system.
If the AVN does not switch on at all, then all you need to do is lock the car and unlock again and things will work fine. You can do this by sitting inside the car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post

And to heighten my tension, this issue has occured once again (4th time) two days before. This time it happened during a slight steering input towards left (kind of a curve in the road). Out of the 4 instances this issue happened, only once was it during a full turn (right). Other two times during slight left and right curves respectively. And once in a straight line as well
It's happened to me once when while entering the parking spot. I had to take a complete left turn & as soon as my steering touched the extreme left position, i could sense a sort of vibration & grinding noise which lasted for a second or so. Haven't been able to repeat it again. However it was loud enough for my co passenger to hear. Wonder if you are talking about the same issue.
Old 4th January 2016, 16:12   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
It's happened to me once when while entering the parking spot. I had to take a complete left turn & as soon as my steering touched the extreme left position, i could sense a sort of vibration & grinding noise which lasted for a second or so. Haven't been able to repeat it again. However it was loud enough for my co passenger to hear. Wonder if you are talking about the same issue.
Hi AveekKumar,

Yes, the issue I observed in my elite i20 is similar to what you described.

I have described the issue in two different posts, you might have probably read only the last one (the two posts are two weeks apart). Here I will just consolidate them, so that you can have a clear picture of the issue and also others can provide their inputs by reading both the posts together.

Post One :

Quote:
Gentlemen,

I just started to observe something strange with my Elite i20. A 'thud' sound followed by a feeling of wheels disconnected from the drive-train. All of it happens in one second and the car drives normal afterwards, like nothing has happened. The sound is neither too loud nor too quiet. It's like a 500gm stone hitting the under body. It happened 3 times during the past 2 weeks. Two times while taking right turns and once in a straight line. I'm not able to identify when it exactly happens or what causes it. Hence not able to reproduce.

Now, I have read the recent posts regarding the faulty front suspension bushes. I could relate my issue to that one if it was only the 'thud' sound. But what is this feeling of wheels disconnected from the drive-train?? People who faced the suspension bush issue, did you observe anything like this?
Post Two :
Quote:
And to heighten my tension, this issue has occured once again (4th time) two days before. This time it happened during a slight steering input towards left (kind of a curve in the road). Out of the 4 instances this issue happened, only once was it during a full turn (right). Other two times during slight left and right curves respectively. And once in a straight line as well

Though now it seems harmless, I understand that, it could be the symptom of a mechanical component failure about to happen (like problems with drive shaft/clutch). But how do I present this as a complaint to the ASC ?!! It isn't reproducible and it doesn't happen often. It is very unlikely for the service guy to observe the issue during his test run and he may just hand over the key saying your car is perfect.

One more thing, in my previous post regarding this issue I have mentioned like - the feedback from the car, when it happens, is like the drivetrain is disconnected from the wheels for a moment. But, after observing/experiencing the issue once again I think I can better describe the feeling like - the drivetrain is obstructed for a second from it's free movement and there is a small back pull (like shifting down, though not to the same extend).

If any other elite i20 owners observed this issue in your cars, please let me know your experience and how did you get it fixed?

Experts, if you are able to identify the issue from my description (or atleast a clue on which parts to be checked), please provide your inputs and suggestions.

Thank you.
The only convincing answer I got yet is,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
This might be "Engine Hesitation". Besides dirty injectors, it can also result from clogged fuel filters or from variety of other faults, like from the ignition coil etc.

If it is only engine stumbling or hesitating (and no hitting sound what you described), then this is related to the engine. In that case, tell the SA about engine hesitation.

Last edited by vpillai : 4th January 2016 at 16:25. Reason: typo
Old 4th January 2016, 16:42   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Team, Please share your experience if any one applied 3M gloss black on the White Elite i20 roof. I checked with the nearby 3M store, they quotes around 290 per sq.ft. I'd like to apply on the wing mirrors as well (with the impression of A class). I've not seen any single white i20 in Chennai having this setup so far (there are few with matt black)...
Hi there!

I have applied gloss black vinyl wrap from 3M on the roof & C-pillars of my white elite i20. You can check out the images on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3768642

The price quoted by 3M to you is the same that was quoted to me. Regarding quality, I can happily say that the car has been through harsh sun, torrential rain, insane number of bird droppings at Besant Nagar, and the regular clouds of dust, but still it looks the same as it did on day 1. It has been washed, waxed and detailed at Car Cares from day 1. But all is well.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 4th January 2016 at 16:51.
sourav9385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 11:16   #1371
BHPian

Thanks a lot man for sharing the info! I wonder how i've really missed out to catch these.

Your ride looks very cool after installing the glossy black. I'm planning to add the same to wing mirror as well, not sure how it'll look.

Some snaps of my car seat covers installed 6 months ago. They called it as Nappa PU, however I've applied them without removing the original seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20160105wa0010.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20160105wa0014.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20160105wa0011.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20160105wa0012.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20160105wa0013.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20160105wa0015.jpg  

Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:00   #1372
BHPian

The above seat design was inspired by this one
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img20150513wa0003.jpg  

Old 5th January 2016, 12:29   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Team, Please share your experience if any one applied 3M gloss black on the White Elite i20 roof. I checked with the nearby 3M store, they quotes around 290 per sq.ft. I'd like to apply on the wing mirrors as well (with the impression of A class). I've not seen any single white i20 in Chennai having this setup so far (there are few with matt black).

Painting is always a cheaper and better option all the way around. Vinyling is costlier, and also on course of time, it reacts to heat. Not the vinyl, but the gum used. It may result to bubble formation between the vinyl and the paint layer. Also, if you think about peeling off that vinyl after a speculated period, the paint underneath will be pretty much useless by that time. Just go for a single coat of high gloss paint. My mech quoted me around Rs. 1500 for the whole work and in kerala, there are many i20s coming in the same layout.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:49   #1374
BHPian

Hyundai has updated the i20 with Standard Airbags across the range. The Asta(o) also get projector lamps, DRLS & 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels.
Taking the fight to the Baleno

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...gs-399415.aspx

Last edited by Silverfire : 5th January 2016 at 12:50. Reason: Typo
Silverfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:16   #1375
BHPian

This is great news indeed! It makes us to tempting to go for the projector version.
I believe it would costs 32K plus at Hyundai.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:33   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Hyundai has updated the i20 with Standard Airbags across the range. The Asta(o) also get projector lamps, DRLS & 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels.
Taking the fight to the Baleno

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...gs-399415.aspx
Oh Shit! The news cant be more worse. My car is not even 1 year old and I am gonna see new elites with projectors housed

I hate hyundai

But, definitely price hike plan will be there for sure
vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 14:35   #1377
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Aha! The effect of competition is simply fantastic! Better late than never, I say!

I've been crying myself hoarse since a long time ago on this thread that Hyundai must offer at least a driver airbag even on the base variant, and passenger airbag on the middle variant onwards. For instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
How about gifting something to your customers as you celebrate this landmark, Mr. Bo Shin Seo?

The best gift would be equipping the Era & Magna variants of Elite i20 and the Base variant of i20 Active with a driver airbag, and the Sportz(O) variant with a passenger airbag.
The new i20 is just such a wonderful car that it was almost a crime to offer the Era & Magna variants without even a driver airbag.

What common sense couldn't accomplish, competition has!

So first the Polo, then Baleno, and now i20. Over to you, Honda - surely, you'll have to do the same now!

No wonder they say, God bless competition!

Projector headlamps with LED DRLs (from the i20 Active - this also means they get the fabulous cornering lamps) are like an icing on the cake - again an effect of the competition, no doubt!

Come on Hyundai, I'd like to see a new Asta+ top variant with additional side & curtain airbags, ESP & TC! Don't forget that the previous generation i20 offered 6 airbags, as does the new Ford Figo that competes directly against the Grand i10. The time to bring back side & curtain airbags has arrived!

Last edited by RSR : 5th January 2016 at 14:59.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 14:40   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Oh Shit! The news cant be more worse. My car is not even 1 year old and I am gonna see new elites with projectors housed

I hate hyundai

But, definitely price hike plan will be there for sure
Vishnu - Think about all those people who have taken deliveries last month, especially if the price difference isn't too significant.
Now the pertinent question is - Will we, the early adopters, be able to get the projectors retrofitted in our cars? If this is possible then nothing like it!
I have been planning for a projector update for quite some time but due to warranty issues have kept it on the back burner. Also would not want the OEM headlights being opened up for the fitment at the dealership also. Whats fitted by the factory robots, that level of precision in fit & finish is tough to achieve.

Surprisingly ABS is skipped in the Era & Magna models. I consider this to be more important than Airbags. Prevention is better than cure in my opinion.

Aren't the Diamond Cut alloys already fitted on our cars? What new in that then?
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 15:49   #1379
BHPian

I own an Asta (O) and the only thing missing from the upgrade is the projector lamps which is just an advantage in terms of looks (subjective). Well I can live with that for now. But good for Hyundai. The difference between Baleno and i20 is further reduced.
AveekKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:12   #1380
BHPian

Well, it does pain to see that a new version is launched just months after i took delivery.

But i am looking at it this way, i got a discount close to 30K, i can retrofit the headlight for the same amount later. Essentially, my discount is nullified but i beat the price hike as well.

So not too worried on that front.

On a side note i just saw a part of the black cladding on the Back RH door chipped off, seems like a stone has ripped it off exposing the red metal underneath. Anything that i can do about it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks