Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:27   #1351

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

As recommended by Team BHP I told my SA to change the Engine Oil in my first service at 1490 kms. I insisted him to use Shell Helix but he said they use only Servo Engine Oil at ASC. Total bill for Engine Oil and Oil filter was Rs. 2019/-
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:55   #1352
BHPian

My Asta's gone for the second servicing. They said they'd fill all company recommended oils only. All charges estimated to go up to Rs 2500. Have also asked them to check the slight thud on speed breakers.
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:21   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Gentlemen,

I just started to observe something strange with my Elite i20. A 'thud' sound followed by a feeling of wheels disconnected from the drive-train. All of it happens in one second and the car drives normal afterwards, like nothing has happened. The sound is neither too loud nor too quiet. It's like a 500gm stone hitting the under body. It happened 3 times during the past 2 weeks. Two times while taking right turns and once in a straight line. I'm not able to identify when it exactly happens or what causes it. Hence not able to reproduce.
Hi vpillai,
How much has your car run?

Check if you get the sound on full right turn or full left turn. That will tell us if the problem with with drive shafts.

This symptom worries me. It could be a problem with the hydraulic mechanism of the clutch or with the gearbox.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:33   #1354

Hi All,

Suddenly on 31st December 2015 at 12:00 AM, my 2 months old Asta (0) infotainment clock shows different time which is about 14 hrs ahead.
I tried to change the date and time, but could not find the option in infotainment system.
Any ideas? Why date and time changed, and how to change date and time?
Old 3rd January 2016, 16:07   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi vpillai,
How much has your car run?

Check if you get the sound on full right turn or full left turn. That will tell us if the problem with with drive shafts.

This symptom worries me. It could be a problem with the hydraulic mechanism of the clutch or with the gearbox.
Thanks Rahul.

My car is about to complete 11000 KMS.

And to heighten my tension, this issue has occured once again (4th time) two days before. This time it happened during a slight steering input towards left (kind of a curve in the road). Out of the 4 instances this issue happened, only once was it during a full turn (right). Other two times during slight left and right curves respectively. And once in a straight line as well

Though now it seems harmless, I understand that, it could be the symptom of a mechanical component failure about to happen (like u said, problems with drive shaft/clutch). But how do I present this as a complaint to the ASC ?!! It isn't reproducible and it doesn't happen often. It is very unlikely for the service guy to observe the issue during his test run and he may just hand over the key saying your car is perfect.

One more thing, in my previous post regarding this issue I have mentioned like - the feedback from the car, when it happens, is like the drivetrain is disconnected from the wheels for a moment. But, after observing/experiencing the issue once again I think I can better describe the feeling like - the drivetrain is obstructed for a second from it's free movement and there is a small back pull (like shifting down, though not to the same extend).

If any other elite i20 owners observed this issue in your cars, please let me know your experience and how did you get it fixed?

Experts, if you are able to identify the issue from my description (or atleast a clue on which parts to be checked), please provide your inputs and suggestions.

Thank you.
Old 3rd January 2016, 17:31   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul.

My car is about to complete 11000 KMS.

And to heighten my tension, this issue has occured once again (4th time) two days before. This time it happened during a slight steering input towards left (kind of a curve in the road). Out of the 4 instances this issue happened, only once was it during a full turn (right). Other two times during slight left and right curves respectively. And once in a straight line as well
Suggest you to take deliberate full left and full right turns at speeds of around 20 kmph. This is for trial. Observe if you get the noise at this time.

Quote:
One more thing, in my previous post regarding this issue I have mentioned like - the feedback from the car, when it happens, is like the drivetrain is disconnected from the wheels for a moment. But, after observing/experiencing the issue once again I think I can better describe the feeling like - the drivetrain is obstructed for a second from it's free movement and there is a small back pull (like shifting down, though not to the same extend).
This might be "Engine Hesitation". Besides dirty injectors, it can also result from clogged fuel filters or from variety of other faults, like from the ignition coil etc.

If it is only engine stumbling or hesitating (and no hitting sound what you described), then this is related to the engine. In that case, tell the SA about engine hesitation.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:33   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Suggest you to take deliberate full left and full right turns at speeds of around 20 kmph. This is for trial. Observe if you get the noise at this time.

This might be "Engine Hesitation". Besides dirty injectors, it can also result from clogged fuel filters or from variety of other faults, like from the ignition coil etc.

If it is only engine stumbling or hesitating (and no hitting sound what you described), then this is related to the engine. In that case, tell the SA about engine hesitation.
I'm experiencing the same "pull back" effect in 4,5,6 gears on highway. There is absolutely no response from the engine till 2200-2300rpm. It goes off only when I floor the accelerator. Just drove almost 100km on the highway like that and the problem literally tested my patience.

I go till 80, slot in 5th, accelerate - no response
Keep revs beyond 2200 rpm, go to 100, slot in 6th, accelerate (at 1900-2000 rpm) - no response.

Sometimes the car behaves pretty normal. Sometimes, when this happens, it doesn't go off easily.

My car has just run 3k kms by now, and I'm observing this problem right from the 1st time I hit the highway i.e. somewhere around 2000km mark. I don't understand what's causing this. Can you please help me in understanding the situation and the possible root cause of the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldrifter View Post
Last week i discussed this problem with my trusted SA at HASS, he told me that there is switch which is connected to the gear shift system and it sends some on & off signals to the ECM that might be at fault. He said that he will perform a test with OBD scanner and while performing test the switch should give on & off signals, if it remains off or on that it might be faulty. He also told that, previous gen i20 and verna both suffered with this problem. The HASS i visited had ordered a new bluetooth type OBD scanner from Hyundai and will get in 10 days' time and only after that, the test will be performed.
Hi, any update on the test please?

Last edited by madhav14 : 3rd January 2016 at 22:35.
Old 4th January 2016, 00:04   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
I'm experiencing the same "pull back" effect in 4,5,6 gears on highway. There is absolutely no response from the engine till 2200-2300rpm. It goes off only when I floor the accelerator. Just drove almost 100km on the highway like that and the problem literally tested my patience.

I go till 80, slot in 5th, accelerate - no response
Keep revs beyond 2200 rpm, go to 100, slot in 6th, accelerate (at 1900-2000 rpm) - no response.
Elite i20 Diesel is expected to do 100 kmph at ~2100 rpm and 120 kmph at ~2500 rpm. Pl observe these rpms, especially when you see no response.

If you need more than 2100 rpm for 100 kmph (or proportionately, more than 1470-1500 for 70 kmph, more than 1680-1700 for 80 kmph), then there is a problem with the clutch. Worn clutch will also make you feel that you are not getting proper response from the car.
Old 4th January 2016, 00:14   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hi, any update on the test please?
SA performed OBD scanning when I visited HASS and found no faulty codes and said that car cleared the test. I dnt think they carried out any sort of test which they told me (I was not able to see the whole process when they done it), but yes they took my veichle for a test ride, at that time I was there with them. They took out the fuse cap present below the steering, removed the fuse present in the center (the biggest among all) and also removed the battery terminal and left the veichle for ten minutes. After putting the fuse back and connecting terminal again, SA asked me to take a test drive. Problem disappeared and car pulled clean in 5th gear also.

Also, as I mentioned in my earlier post that the problem always occurred when I wash my veichle, but this time even after washing the problem never came up.
Dieseldrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 00:29   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Elite i20 Diesel is expected to do 100 kmph at ~2100 rpm and 120 kmph at ~2500 rpm. Pl observe these rpms, especially when you see no response.

If you need more than 2100 rpm for 100 kmph (or proportionately, more than 1470-1500 for 70 kmph, more than 1680-1700 for 80 kmph), then there is a problem with the clutch. Worn clutch will also make you feel that you are not getting proper response from the car.
No no. I think you didn't get my point properly. The rpms you mentioned were right and that's what even my car is doing. But, I'm talking about the problem with the power delivery at those rpms.

The car is behaving in such a way that there is an On/Off switch. Sometimes, as if the switch was off, there is completely ZERO response. When accelerated the car 'feels disconnected' from the engine.

But, suddenly out of nowhere, just like a switch was turned on, it comes to life and starts pulling cleanly even from 1500rpm. I can clearly witness that jump in the car when it comes back to action.
Old 4th January 2016, 07:33   #1361
BHPian

Hi All,

I went on a short road trip this weekend (500 kms in total). My friends were very impressed with its stability, features and comfort. We are planning for a 4 day long road trip now (Chennai --> Bangalore --> Goa). As long road trips are no jokes, can you please pour in with your tips/experience driving i20 on long road trips?

Also, my vehicle is due for 2nd service at 10,000 kms. Currently my odometer reads 6,500 kms and should be close to 8,000 kms before we go on a trip. Can I opt for early service? Will Hyundai provide early service?
Old 4th January 2016, 09:09   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
We are planning for a 4 day long road trip now (Chennai --> Bangalore --> Goa). As long road trips are no jokes, can you please pour in with your tips/experience driving i20 on long road trips?Also, my vehicle is due for 2nd service at 10,000 kms. Currently my odometer reads 6,500 kms and should be close to 8,000 kms before we go on a trip. Can I opt for early service? Will Hyundai provide early service?
First things first. You need not worry about the service until its close to 10K, unless the car has been with you for a year with very minimal runs (which i doubt based on your excitement).

Apart from the normal checks you would do for a long distance trip like oil level, fuel, tyres, emergency kits etc there is nothing to keep in mind for the car per my experience from a few 900km+ single stretch drives as well as multiple 400km sprints.

Be safe & drive safe. The diesel variant is a different animal altogether on the highways and hence its easy to get carried away, especially once the turbo spools post 100km/h mark in the 6th gear...

Last edited by vinjosep : 4th January 2016 at 09:21.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 12:53   #1363
BHPian

Hi All,

I've recently installed CR-70 on windscreen and Lumax wind tone horns to me my Elite i20 1.2 Asta. One thing I've noticed after installing the front film is, the Automatic head lamps lit up earlier than the usual ambiance.
Old 4th January 2016, 12:58   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balachandran View Post
Hi All,

Suddenly on 31st December 2015 at 12:00 AM, my 2 months old Asta (0) infotainment clock shows different time which is about 14 hrs ahead.
I tried to change the date and time, but could not find the option in infotainment system.
Any ideas? Why date and time changed, and how to change date and time?
I am also facing similar issue. But the time is correctly gets displayed once we switch off the engine and back on. Have faced this issue couple of times.
Old 4th January 2016, 13:05   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi All,

I've recently installed CR-70 on windscreen and Lumax wind tone horns to me my Elite i20 1.2 Asta. One thing I've noticed after installing the front film is, the Automatic head lamps lit up earlier than the usual ambiance.
It's normal behavior. Even the outside temperature displayed on the instrument panel would be showing a tad lower value.

The sensor for both happens to be next to the front windshield. So by virtue of the CR-70, the sensors would be tricked into believing that the dawn/dusk is here earlier.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks