Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2016, 22:35   #5821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Remapped 1.6 S-cross : 0-100 in ~8 seconds (3 guys in car )

I have got an updated map from TOT. Car has become very aggressive and literally a monster on road. This test was done on a level road under controlled conditions. Thanks to Bhpian dockap for the Video. I know this timing is not accurate, but it gives an idea about how fast the car is post TOT remap.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 3rd October 2016 at 22:44.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 22:49   #5822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
...Also, is the fact that the Fiat 1.3L engine is being used in more than 15 Indian cars a testament to how great the engine is or the lack of innovation?...
This is one of the best engines of the time, with a balanced compromise in cost / power & torque figures / efficiency / reliability / emission norms. I believe the Multijet II (improved version) is already in place for couple of years, but might take time to be launched in India (read as stricter emission norms).

Innovation doesn't stop in these technology as the emission / efficiency norms never cease to be updated.

Quote:
...Does this engine also get noisy with time like few of the swifts I've seen? ...
Could you let us know how many kms had these Swifts done? Mine was with me till around 90,000 kms and it never felt coarse / rougher than it was on the day of delivery (it does tend a bit more vocal towards the service interval, but then that's because of the part replacement required). But the insulation will get weak over time and might contribute to the increased noise levels in the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
... I know this timing is not accurate, but it gives an idea about how fast the car is post TOT remap...
Cmon, you should have atleast held on to posting numbers till you verified it properly.

I can hear a lot of wheelspin, what's the tyres you are running?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd October 2016 at 22:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:00   #5823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Cmon, you should have atleast held on to posting numbers till you verified it properly.

I can hear a lot of wheelspin, what's the tyres you are running?
This is just for reference. Speedo error is quite high in S-Cross ( around 10 percent). I was shocked to find the car doing 0-100 in 8 seconds with 3 guys on board. I did V Box run later. But, I was not happy with that run as I could have done better.

Stock Map :

Overdrive : 11.8

Autocar : 11.5

I got 11.3 in stock using V Box.

Present Map : 9.7

Tyres are stock JK and those tyres are a pain to launch the car. I launched at around 2200 RPM and still couldnt avoid wheelspin. I will ask Kryptonite to do a run with V Box, when I go to Bangalore.
Old 4th October 2016, 00:18   #5824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is one of the best engines of the time, with a balanced compromise in cost / power & torque figures / efficiency / reliability / emission norms.
Could you let us know how many kms had these Swifts done? Mine was with me till around 90,000 kms and it never felt coarse / rougher than it was on the day of delivery (it does tend a bit more vocal towards the service interval, but then that's because of the part replacement required). But the insulation will get weak over time and might contribute to the increased noise levels in the cabin.
This is exactly what I was waiting to hear. Not a general push for the car they own but an informed opinion. My long and headache inducing search for the most comfortable car with the most features under 14 lakhs (looks don't matter) has ended up with two finalists after many test drives. Honda City CVT and S-cross 1.3 Alpha. The former is a relatively luxurious car with a easy to maintain petrol engine and comfortable Auto transmission. The latter is more practical for me in overall usable space inside the cabin (with the fold-able seats n all), cheaper by 1L and better fuel efficiency. I found S-cross gears and clutch to be very light n easy to use btw and I hope they'll remain that way for long.

I have been brainwashed by petrol car owners about the headaches of owning a diesel engine for the higher maintenance cost and how loud they become after a while and how any kind of emission norms or local pollution control policies can ruin the owning experience in some states. Which is why I have been bugging people all day long about their long term ownership experiences of Diesel engines.
komalthecoolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 00:36   #5825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My long and headache inducing search for the most comfortable car with the most features under 14 lakhs (looks don't matter) has ended up with two finalists after many test drives.D
I was just wondering on how the Ciaz Z*i got ruled out? I ruled it out because of the lack of Cruise Control. Is that the same for you ? Ciaz does have a rear blower unit and better back seats.

City is also good, but I found that the AVN(Audio Video Nav) in the city is no where close to the superior system provided in the suzuki/maruti.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 00:51   #5826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I was just wondering on how the Ciaz Z*i got ruled out? I ruled it out because of the lack of Cruise Control. Is that the same for you ? Ciaz does have a rear blower unit and better back seats.

City is also good, but I found that the AVN(Audio Video Nav) in the city is no where close to the superior system provided in the suzuki/maruti.
I don't know why but I just could not find a suitable seating position in Ciaz for my 6 foot 90 kilo frame. I felt like i was sitting in some kind of compromised position the whole time and that's not good for long term.

Last edited by komalthecoolk : 4th October 2016 at 00:52.
Old 4th October 2016, 14:32   #5827
BHPian

Quote:
Honda City CVT and S-cross 1.3 Alpha. The former is a relatively luxurious car with a easy to maintain petrol engine and comfortable Auto transmission.
I have been brainwashed by petrol car owners about the headaches of owning a diesel engine .
Go for the S cross 1.3 (1.6 if you want a fast carat the expense of bit of turbolag and a heavy clutch)
Maintanance costs are low. Take my word for it.
More over the clutch is super light for the 1.3 and is more spacious than the city. You ll sit a lot lower in the city than the s cross. Back seat comfort will be compromised on long trips though, as S cross back seats can be a bit tiring on long drives on bad twisty roads, mainly due to lateral movement. (as you sit higher)
Old 4th October 2016, 15:36   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Back seat comfort will be compromised on long trips though, as S cross back seats can be a bit tiring on long drives on bad twisty roads, mainly due to lateral movement. (as you sit higher)
Do you mean S cross will have more body roll at the back than that of Honda city in twisty roads?
Old 4th October 2016, 16:08   #5829
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the S cross 1.3 (1.6 if you want a fast carat the expense of bit of turbolag and a heavy clutch)
Long clutch travel seem more bothersome. I didn't find clutch in 1.6 hard though its harder vis-a-vis DDiS 200. But then during city driving in 1.6 not much gear changing involved as 2nd and 3rd gear would put you through any city traffic.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:18   #5830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Do you mean S cross will have more body roll at the back than that of Honda city in twisty roads?
Body roll is slightly more than the city. But it is the seating height that plays the major part in lateral movements. Shorter people at the back feels that effect more. I dont know how to put it in "techno's" words. But folks at the back have been complaining about lateral movement in twisty roads, more than in my previous cars, the accent and the dzire.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 16:26   #5831
BHPian

Quote:
Body roll is slightly more than the city. But it is the seating height that plays the major part in lateral movements. Shorter people at the back feels that effect more. I dont know how to put it in "techno's" words. But folks at the back have been complaining about lateral movement in twisty roads, more than in my previous cars, the accent and the dzire.
Thanks. I think I got the point. I was also looking at S cross as a prospective purchase sometime next year. But this point will be put off for me as backseat comfort will be a big priority for me. I think I need to do some extensive test drive with people seating at back.

May be out of the context, I always found the Innova to be suffering from excessive body roll (compared to the sedans like etios say) and I do not find it comfortable at all. May be height plays the spoilsport here.
Old 4th October 2016, 18:26   #5832
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. The S-Cross has more body roll than our Dzire and Santro. I think that is expected with the higher ground clearance and one might feel that more in the rear as you sit taller. However, 90% of the times no one found it bothersome. The 10% of the times when you go over VERY bad or uneven patches or drive enthusiastically in twisties, the body roll is evident.
Old 4th October 2016, 18:34   #5833
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I think I got the point. I was also looking at S cross as a prospective purchase sometime next year. But this point will be put off for me as backseat comfort will be a big priority for me. I think I need to do some extensive test drive with people seating at back.

May be out of the context, I always found the Innova to be suffering from excessive body roll (compared to the sedans like etios say) and I do not find it comfortable at all. May be height plays the spoilsport here.
The body roll comes into play only on hard cornering and speedy S-curves on highways. You are not going to experience body roll like in an Innova, XUV or Creta. Compared to the City, the S-Cross is wider which also plays a role in the physics of body roll. City and S-Cross difference in body roll is impossible to tell, if at all present.
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 19:58   #5834
BHPian

Don't know if it's already been posted here or not, but the S Cross brochure now has only the Alpha trim in 1.6L engine and all 4 variants in the 1.3L.
We already knew this, but MS has made it official in a very subtle manner.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brochure-scross.pdf (7.27 MB, 531 views)
r0nit7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 20:24   #5835
BANNED

Quote:
But this point will be put off for me as backseat comfort will be a big priority for me.
I'll say the S-Cross is lesser prone to body roll compared to the Honda City. The suspension is setup stiffer in the S-Cross compared to the City so it will be tighter around corners.

What "body roll" that you were experiencing would be the sidewall flexing on those useless J K tyres. A better quality tyre will totally change the characteristics of the S-Cross.

Also no point in comparing the S-Cross and Innova. Innova is a highway cruiser and not meant to scorch corners.

The priority for Innova is to get people transported in absolute comfort while being a peaceful cruiser. Go overboard and try corner-carving, the Innova would throw is passengers out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
City and S-Cross difference in body roll is impossible to tell, if at all present.
+1.

City being lower set (read ride height) as compared to S-Cross, it would stick to the road like a leech. Hence the lesser perceptible body roll.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th October 2016 at 20:33.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks