Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 12:21   #5791
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
In 40 days of my s-cross ownership I have clocked 3000 Kms. Just an input at this point of time, some clear cut pros of this car:-

- braking and maneurability.

- suspension seems to me flawless till date.

- riding comfort and space.

- unbelievable sprinting ability.

Today back from a 150 kms drive on NH1. Oh God what acceleration !! Car seems more and more eager at speeds where most of the cars in market would run out of steam. Even if you choose sedate driving style it still provides enough of driving pleasure.

I also remember when I test driven a Vento I felt cramped up vis-à-vis s-cross and prefered acceleration and high speed behaviour of s-cross.

Are you talking about the 1.3 or the 1.6? Please clarify as am in process of test driving both.
Old 29th September 2016, 20:08   #5792

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Hi all,

I'm close to buying S-Cross DDiS200 Zeta.

After reading the official review and various ownership threads, I do plan to upgrade the tyres. I checked with a tyre shop in NCR and they told me that price of the stock S-Cross tyre, JK Elanzo 205/60 R 16 has dropped to Rs. 3,500 retail a couple of months back (from Rs. 4,500 earlier) and offered to buy these back at Rs 3,000 apiece. Could anyone please confirm?

Other than the tyre upgrade, I plan to get leather seat covers. Any suggestions whether to get Art Leather covers from Nexa or better options in the after market? Don't want to spend more than 12K on the covers

Any other feedback on the accessories would be most appreciated (the ones that I could either force the dealer to include or buy myself from Nexa).

OTR Gurgaon price quote is 11.16L with 10K corporate discount. The Nexa RM privately mentioned that I could get a total discount of up to 30K at the time of booking.

Thank you to all mods and owners for their detailed and frank reports on the car, which allowed me to make up my mind on this one.

Thanks,
Nishant
nishantg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 22:50   #5793
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Are you talking about the 1.3 or the 1.6? Please clarify as am in process of test driving both.
Its DDiS 320

Overall I had about 10 test drives before the purchase. 1.3 engine is really sweet and peppy performer and its so good that I am sure you cannot accept that its underpowered until you TD a 1.6

Only difference 1.6 has the pick up and its huge! It reminds me of forward surge by an aircraft during take off. Remaining other advantages of s-cross are common to both engine variants.
Old 29th September 2016, 23:33   #5794
BANNED

Quote:

As long as one doesn't drive the DDiS320 and only has driven the DDiS200, no issues. Once the DDiS320 is driven then no looking back at all.

That car is a locomotive. Pulls without any effort.

Turbo lag.. Hhmm. Once the driver learns the behavior of the engine to control the lag, then this car is a Star to be driving in.

Getting the same pleasure in any other car would require one to spend a lot over the S-Cross.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 08:34   #5795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantg View Post
Hi all,

I'm close to buying S-Cross DDiS200 Zeta.

After reading the official review and various ownership threads, I do plan to upgrade the tyres. I checked with a tyre shop in NCR and they told me that price of the stock S-Cross tyre, JK Elanzo 205/60 R 16 has dropped to Rs. 3,500 retail a couple of months back (from Rs. 4,500 earlier) and offered to buy these back at Rs 3,000 apiece. Could anyone please confirm?

Other than the tyre upgrade, I plan to get leather seat covers. Any suggestions whether to get Art Leather covers from Nexa or better options in the after market? Don't want to spend more than 12K on the covers

Any other feedback on the accessories would be most appreciated (the ones that I could either force the dealer to include or buy myself from Nexa).

OTR Gurgaon price quote is 11.16L with 10K corporate discount. The Nexa RM privately mentioned that I could get a total discount of up to 30K at the time of booking.

Thank you to all mods and owners for their detailed and frank reports on the car, which allowed me to make up my mind on this one.

Thanks,
Nishant
Hi Nishantg

Congrats on your decision to choose the scross Ddsi 200 version as I too own the same since may 2016. Zeta has most of the essentials however sometimes you may feel shouldn't we have spent the extra 2 lacs to get the alpha model as it provides projector lamps , fully leather seats , rain sensing wipers etc. Please rethink if you can spend the additional money on it, neverthless this is a good decision. Coming to your queries:

I recommend you to stick with your stock tyres though the road noise is there but you can live with it and I don't find a major problem with it. Once you run 25k kms you can then switch to better tires.

On the seat cover I had purchased the art leather from Nexa itself as I felt it was way better and do not have any regrets on it- I recommend you to check out the options before taking the final decision.

On the discount of 30k, please ask them to quote in the invoice. Please don't go by word of mouth confirmation by the sales advisor.

Since most of the accessories are available, I am not sure what else you can push the dealer to provide.

Any queries feel free to post. Thanks !
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:35   #5796

@Ananthc, many thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I'll stick to Zeta as I was initially planning on Baleno Zeta Auto petrol or Baleno Alpha petrol. But after seeing the S-Cross in person and feeling the build quality, it was difficult not to upscale

May stick to the stock tyres for now, as you suggest. Thanks for your inputs on accessories and discount!

Cheers!
nishantg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 11:02   #5797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Its DDiS 320

Overall I had about 10 test drives before the purchase. 1.3 engine is really sweet and peppy performer and its so good that I am sure you cannot accept that its underpowered until you TD a 1.6

Only difference 1.6 has the pick up and its huge! It reminds me of forward surge by an aircraft during take off. Remaining other advantages of s-cross are common to both engine variants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As long as one doesn't drive the DDiS320 and only has driven the DDiS200, no issues. Once the DDiS320 is driven then no looking back at all.

That car is a locomotive. Pulls without any effort.

Turbo lag.. Hhmm. Once the driver learns the behavior of the engine to control the lag, then this car is a Star to be driving in.

Getting the same pleasure in any other car would require one to spend a lot over the S-Cross.
Thanks for the clarifications. Now starts the battle of heart v.s mind ! . I will take multiple test drives and figure out what is good for me.

My heart says 1.6, while the mind is gunning for the top spec 1.3 as the usage will be 80% city and 20% highways.

I have gone through this entire thread and the only issue I could read w.r.t 1.3 was overtaking on the highways. I hope it is not as bad as it is made out to be. I have driven the DDiS200 in Swift and now in Punto and I do not too many problems with the 1.3. Its a different matter that the gear ratios are screwed up in Punto.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:09   #5798
BHPian

Quote:

My heart says 1.6, while the mind is gunning for the top spec 1.3 as the usage will be 80% city and 20% highways.
The 1.6 is made for 80% highway and 20% city usage

Believe it or not, the 1.3 is actually far better to drive in the city than the 1.6. The light clutch and lower (perceived) lag means that you'll be happy with your decision for 80% of the time.
Here's what Autocar had to say in the long-term review of the 1.6

Highways:
"It’s been a hit with anyone who’s ever driven it on the highway and its fan base just keeps growing. The punchy 1.6-litre diesel motor that’s unique to the S-cross, tall sixth gear, good high-speed stability and the best steering feel we’ve experienced on any modern Maruti, makes it exceptional to drive once you’ve left city limits."

City
"While out-of-town family journeys have been comfy for all, I do not enjoy driving the S-cross in traffic, as the clutch has gotten really heavy and is only getting worse by the day. This is only compounded by the weak bottom end, which forces you to shift gears often at lower speeds, making for a good workout. "

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...rt-403008.aspx

Last edited by d3mon : 30th September 2016 at 11:11.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:14   #5799
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2016 at 09:31.
speed crusader is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2016, 11:20   #5800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The 1.6 is made for 80% highway and 20% city usage

Believe it or not, the 1.3 is actually far better to drive in the city than the 1.6. The light clutch and lower (perceived) lag means that you'll be happy with your decision for 80% of the time.
Here's what Autocar had to say in the long-term review of the 1.6

Highways:
"It’s been a hit with anyone who’s ever driven it on the highway and its fan base just keeps growing. The punchy 1.6-litre diesel motor that’s unique to the S-cross, tall sixth gear, good high-speed stability and the best steering feel we’ve experienced on any modern Maruti, makes it exceptional to drive once you’ve left city limits."

City
"While out-of-town family journeys have been comfy for all, I do not enjoy driving the S-cross in traffic, as the clutch has gotten really heavy and is only getting worse by the day. This is only compounded by the weak bottom end, which forces you to shift gears often at lower speeds, making for a good workout. "

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...rt-403008.aspx
Thanks, one the main reason for considering 1.3 is for city driving with good FE. I guess the 1.6 is not giving proper FE in city and highways based on the reading here on the forum. Due to the available power and torque, people might tend to push it and the consequence might be low FE
Old 30th September 2016, 12:01   #5801
BHPian

@ Speed Crusader: Thanks for the insight. How has been your experience on FE in city and highway driving in the 1.6? This is also one of the key considerations for me apart from the driving experience. I am assuming the moment you start gunning the 1.6, the FE drops significantly? Is this assumption correct?

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2016 at 09:32. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 30th September 2016, 12:10   #5802
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. How has been your experience on FE in city and highway driving in the 1.6? This is also one of the key considerations for me apart from the driving experience. I am assuming the moment you start gunning the 1.6, the FE drops significantly? Is this assumption correct?
The FE drops if you gun the engine in stop go traffic where you cannot maintain the speed such that RPM variations are minimal. Having said that, without gunning it to the drive is pretty swift in 3/4 gear. I have noticed that FE improves if i keep the engine above the turbo kick in rpm at around 2000 rpm instead of driving at sub turbo range rpm. On open road FE is fair with constant speed. I have got city FE of around13- 14 and highway FE of close to 17-18. Expect it to improve post the 10k service.

Regards
SC
Old 30th September 2016, 15:24   #5803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
The FE drops if you gun the engine in stop go traffic where you cannot maintain the speed such that RPM variations are minimal. Having said that, without gunning it to the drive is pretty swift in 3/4 gear. I have noticed that FE improves if i keep the engine above the turbo kick in rpm at around 2000 rpm instead of driving at sub turbo range rpm. On open road FE is fair with constant speed. I have got city FE of around13- 14 and highway FE of close to 17-18. Expect it to improve post the 10k service.

Regards
SC
My 1.6 FE has plunged from 17.8 to 17.0 immediately post the 10k service Can anyone advise ?
Old 30th September 2016, 16:22   #5804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz4u View Post
My 1.6 FE has plunged from 17.8 to 17.0 immediately post the 10k service Can anyone advise ?
Dear friend, 17.8 to 17 is not an alarming deviation. There are quite a lot of parameters which affects FE and the change is very well within limits. Cannot attribute this small reduction to the service
Old 30th September 2016, 19:13   #5805
BHPian

@ speed crusader

You are 100% correct with your 2 bits. The 1.6 is meant for open roads and cities like Chandigarh. My uncle (dad's brother) owns a 2010 Fortuner which I have driven sometimes for both work & pleasure purposes. It is a similar story with that too. You need open stretches to fully enjoy the engine's meaty torques. That was my first thought after I test drove both, and I did the 1.6 before the 1.3 TD. I'll be generous in saying that if you have more than 50% of your running in city conditions, you'd be better off with a 1.3 in contrast with the 1.6 machine. These engines are not tuned linearly and it won't be a surprise if you stall the 1.6 once or twice in a bumper to bumper traffic situation.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2016 at 09:33. Reason: Quoted post deleted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks