Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 21:52   #1366
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Yes, they are Bosch though for the head unit and my RM is claiming the speakers to be of the same brand. Although they are good for bass, but I feel the clarity is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Yes, they are Bosch though for the head unit and my RM is claiming the speakers to be of the same brand. Although they are good for bass, but I feel the clarity is missing.
They are not Bosch make. Bosch software inc has been collaborating with maruti for development of software for the touch screen, especially the voice recognition feature. (Source ACI).

I shall confirm the make of the speaker once I rip them off the car.

Last edited by ampere : 24th August 2015 at 22:07. Reason: Fixed quotes
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 22:34   #1367
BHPian

This car reminds me of the SRV. Hope it has a better fate. The 1.6 like someone else pointed out wont have too many takers now. Just a waiting list 5 years later for the pre worshipped ones.
Old 25th August 2015, 05:27   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Oh Yes, it does look like any other hatchback and does not have any special appeal. Totally agree with that. Creta has that appeal and will definitely turn heads - might not as much as Ecosport or Duster - they were segment creators. However, I feel the projectors and DRLs on the Alpha variant look pretty good - again, not as classy as the Creta's.
The S Cross definitely feels like a large hatch back. It lacks the pseudo-SUV appeal of the Creta. Creta with its side to side boxy visual appeal looks really big, even bigger than the Duster and has around 80-90% street presence of the XUV from a distance until it comes very close to an ecosport or the duster. Ecosport feels more hatch like to me that the S cross. For me the S cross looks like a C+ segment sedan with its tail cut and replaced by B+ hatch tail.

For me both Creta and Ecosport are hatchbacks on stilts. I had a huge tug of war in my mind between the S cross Alpha and the Creta SX. Visual appeal would want you to go for the Creta, but all you would be getting while driving would be the Verna sedan with high set seats, rear ac vents and raised window line and a smaller boot. No AVN, no keyless, no cruise control, no fuel efficiency display, no leather seats, no HIDs and same 2 air bags. A bigger and more powerful engine should have balanced it, but not for me.

I was lookng for a Ciaz and ecosport alternative. Those were the cars under consideration. Decided to stretch the budget for the 1.6, as I felt that alpha would undercut the Creta SX(O) by atleast one lakh (say 12.5-12.75 ex). I was planning to consider the 1.6 zeta as I felt it would be in the Creta SX price range, ie 13.5-14 L OTR here.

For me, 1.3 alpha is over priced by around 20 - 50 K. I would any day take the 1.3 alpha for 12.5 L OTR as it undercuts the Creta SX by 1 L (I am sure it will be available for that price 5-6 months down the line, including exchange bonus making the price around 12.0-12.4 L). The 1.3 Zeta I feel appears real VFM, as I feel Maruti has priced it really well say 50k lesser than what its really worth. Add to that the tax cuts and its real value for money. I think it wont be easy to source the HID kit from Maruti, may be aftermarket options should spruce up the ride.

At the end of the day I am compromising on the performance front for a quasi premium feel and understated elegant ride. (S cross looks better than the Dzire and Ritz IMO). Atleast its more VFM than an 85 ps duster and the Ecosport Tiatnium.

See the image comparison with the duster.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-dust.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-duster-vs-s-cross.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 09:38   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
1.6 in Ertiga will be worth the premium for it. Will have mobilio for breakfast and innova for lunch and xylo for a snack.
Even if Maruti wants to fit the 1.6 in the ertiga,they will have to redesign the entire engine bay as the 1.6 simply wouldn't fit in,the 1.3 itself is a tight fit .
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 10:01   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Even if Maruti wants to fit the 1.6 in the ertiga,they will have to redesign the entire engine bay as the 1.6 simply wouldn't fit in,the 1.3 itself is a tight fit .
You are probably quite right rakesh. The 1.6 and its corresponding components (Turbo, radiator, condenser etc) need a larger space and that could be the very reason for the extraordinary long bonnet of the S-cross. The S-cross at 4300mm is 30mm longer than the Creta and just 15mm shy of Duster's length. Now I understand where that length of S-Cross has been consumed, it is in the bonnet
Old 25th August 2015, 10:19   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The S-cross at 4300mm is 30mm longer than the Creta and just 15mm shy of Duster's length. Now I understand where that length of S-Cross has been consumed, it is in the bonnet
Compared to i20 active the S cross is 30 cm longer. The wheel base is longer by only 8 cm.Rear knee room increases by the same 8-10 cm. Extra rear overhang around 6 cm. Rest of the 13-14 cm is in the nose (front overhang and bonnet). The s cross bonnet is longer than that in creta. What I cannot believe is that creta is just 4 cm taller than the S cross.

Will be doing detailed comparison between s cross and creta. My friend has booked a creta sx(o). (No engine and performance comparisons though.)
Old 25th August 2015, 10:57   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Nice thought but I can't figure out the target customer for that Variant.
Taxiwala prefer Innova for size and mileage, Enthusiasts won't give it a look due to design and driving dynamics, aam junta is stuck in traffic jams and will be busy thinking about mileage.
Quote:
1.6 in Ertiga will be worth the premium for it. Will have mobilio for breakfast and innova for lunch and xylo for a snack.
Old 25th August 2015, 15:56   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only solution is to look for an after market fitting. Even my ex RM was on a search to suggest me. This was a deal breaker for my family and for me 1.3 seemed sluggish when compared to the same in ciaz and is in the league of Ertiga.

For me if S Cross it has to be 1.6, don't see a point in buying 1.3. Ertiga does 80% of what S Cross does in a less premium way, but again you can save a cool 2lacs with the Ertiga. For me among S Cross and Ertiga, looks is only the differentiating factor.

Ertiga is already eating Mobilio for breakfast. Even if Ertiga comes with 1.6 heart, would be very difficult to eat Innova and in case it manages will find it difficult to digest . Innova sells because of its reliability, space,comfort and drivability. Power was never the selling point for Innova.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 19:22   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ah the XC 60 or XC 90. Lovely cars no doubt, as also the S60 and S80.
But sadly their pricing in India is just absolutely ridiculously high if considering a brand new purchase.
Oh no, no new cars for me in next 4 years at least, I had seen a 2011 X60 done 46K kms for about 25L, looked like a good deal if it was a D5 AWD [which was not clear in the ad], otherwise just warming up to many fluid ideas, otherwise not really in a position to buy any car. Unless someone gives me "an offer you cannot refuse"! That said was a little hopeful on S-Cross AWD [which they have no inclination to launch as off now], but all in all even AWD will not tick many of my boxes, It's no Yeti by a long shot. It's a large hatch, period. Soft roader it is, explorer it's not, so not my cup of tea, neither is Creta.
Old 25th August 2015, 19:51   #1375
BHPian

Did my PDI today
Transferred the sum to nexa
Temporary registration will be done tomorrow
Delivery the day after. Excited

Still hard to believe that its a 4.3 m long car. Seems compact and ideal for the city. Enquired rearding availability of a spoiler. RM will confirm it tomorrow. Nexa mats cost 1200 bucks a set for the regular ones and 2000 bucks for the premium ones.

In two minds as to whether I should upgrade to 215 55 R 17 / 225 55 R 16
17 inch Momo alloys look really hot, can make this car a better looker.

My brown little hippo getting ready for delivery day after tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 25th August 2015 at 19:54.
sandygordon is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 20:00   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Did my PDI today
Delivery the day after.

Still hard to believe that its a 4.3 m long car. Seems compact and ideal for the city. Enquired rearding availability of a spoiler. RM will confirm it tomorrow. Nexa mats cost 1200 bucks a set for the regular ones and 2000 bucks for the premium ones.

Awesome Sandygordon!!! Many Congrats!!!

Totally agree about the length part. I think it is because of the long bonnet that the length is masked pretty well. While driving and otherwise, I somehow feel the length behind the driver is what matters and makes us realize the length. In fact S-Cross is lengthier than Ertiga but never felt so while driving.

Have you finalized on the mods - Tires? Wheels?? ICE??? I am equally excited to see a S-Cross ownership in the forum. Will be waiting for your ownership report.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 20:00   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did my PDI today
Congrats sandygordon on your acquisition. I can almost feel the excitement and anxiety in your post man !!

I am sorry if I have missed your earlier posts, but which variant have you finalized on? Is this a DDIS 320? And what color Lenso's have you decided on?

All in all, wish you a very happy 'Nexa' association and please post your ownership at the earliest.
Old 25th August 2015, 21:39   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Did my PDI today

Big Congrats Dude !

Wish you loads and loads of happy miles on your Hippo

Regarding your alloys, always remember - you can never go wrong with momo's
Old 25th August 2015, 21:42   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats sandygordon on your acquisition. I can almost feel the excitement and anxiety in your post man !!

I am sorry if I have missed your earlier posts, but which variant have you finalized on? Is this a DDIS 320? And what color Lenso's have you decided on?

All in all, wish you a very happy 'Nexa' association and please post your ownership at the earliest.
No it's the ddis 200. Have to check a few more tyreshops tomorrow. Momo 16 as well as 17 look good. Have to decide on 205 or 225 primacy. Those in cochin please suggest good alloy and tyre shops.
Old 25th August 2015, 22:05   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations Sandygordon! I agree with you on the Momos. The black ones look quite cool.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks