Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 18:27   #1186
BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
The player plays the next folder only in play all mode. If you select explore usb option, it does not automatically go beyond the current folder.
Yeah noticed this today. However it happens only when i choose the song from a specific folder. Since i have some tracks in the pen drive which are not housed in folders i start playing a random song from there and then it manages to go inside the rest of the folders and continue playing through folders.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:53   #1187
BHPian

The music system isn't user friendly at all. My dad faces a lot of problems while using it. Even I took some time to understand all the functions completely.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 22:48   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, folder browsing is a pain. Why can't they tweak it? Explore USB repeats that folder and if I press Play All hoping that it will stop repeating, it starts from the first And all this at the cost of taking eyes off the road for long.

The speakers too are no match to the OEM speakers of the competition.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 12:59   #1189
BHPian

hey guys

Oflate I am of the opinion that the Aspire TDCi clutch is bit hard. I have clocked around 26k now in 1.5 years.

What I understand is, the clutch has two stage operation when clutch is pressed down.
Stage 1, you press the clutch, its ok till here, at stage 2 you need to press a bit more and with more effort.

During service of the car, I requested SA to look into the clutch hardness (issue) and I got feedback that its normal and two stage operation is also normal.

Is this normal? My left leg, knee pains during city commutes and I have literally reduced office commute by car & started exploring alternatives.

The only option for me to go for clutch replacement as suggested by SA, but again will it help my knee!

What is your opinion of clutch hardness/softness? Appreciate your share of information!

P.S: I do-not clutch drive!

enjoy TDCing!!!

Last edited by novicefreak : 27th January 2017 at 13:00.
Old 27th January 2017, 13:33   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
Oflate I am of the opinion that the Aspire TDCi clutch is bit hard. I have clocked around 26k now in 1.5 years.

Is this normal? My left leg, knee pains during city commutes and I have literally reduced office commute by car & started exploring alternatives.

The only option for me to go for clutch replacement as suggested by SA, but again will it help my knee!
I faced the same issue in my diesel Punto, though after 40K on ODO. The clutch was becoming hard and caused fatigue during my city driving. The SA advised for a clutch overhaul. I asked the reason for the clutch plates going bad at 40K (and I do not clutch-drive) and the reason he said is "Sir, it depends on the driving style. Some customers replace their clutch plates even at 25K whereas some replace only at 60K".
I managed to drive it till 45K after which I decided to go for clutch overhauling. Cost me around 10K but after the job done, the feel was quite obvious. The clutch became feather-light and was a breeze to operate.

A word of caution though - Aspire's clutch feel is slightly on the harder side by nature.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 14:09   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Clutch hardness often doesn't have to do with clutch wear (because clutch wear represents itself as clutch slippage, reduced power delivery, etc.). So a clutch replacement should usually be a later resort, particularly since you're aware of (and avoid) bad clutch usage.

The Aspire uses a hydraulic clutch, so there is no clutch cable to lubricate or replace. Get the clutch system bled, and replace the brake/clutch fluid. It could just be the presence of contaminants (dirt, water) that is making the clutch hard to operate. See if that solves the issue, as a first course of action.

After that, if the problem persists, it might require inspecting/replacing the slave cylinder, or inspecting/lubricating/replacing the clutch mechanism.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 17:31   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
I managed to drive it till 45K after which I decided to go for clutch overhauling. Cost me around 10K but after the job done, the feel was quite obvious. The clutch became feather-light and was a breeze to operate.

A word of caution though - Aspire's clutch feel is slightly on the harder side by nature.
Thanks for sharing your experience & I completely agree that Aspire clutch is on harder side at first instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Clutch hardness often doesn't have to do with clutch wear (because clutch wear represents itself as clutch slippage, reduced power delivery, etc.). So a clutch replacement should usually be a later resort, particularly since you're aware of (and avoid) bad clutch usage.

The Aspire uses a hydraulic clutch, so there is no clutch cable to lubricate or replace. Get the clutch system bled, and replace the brake/clutch fluid. It could just be the presence of contaminants (dirt, water) that is making the clutch hard to operate. See if that solves the issue, as a first course of action.

After that, if the problem persists, it might require inspecting/replacing the slave cylinder, or inspecting/lubricating/replacing the clutch mechanism.
Thanks for sharing this technical information.

Yes during first service(2.5k km odometer reading) I mentioned about clutch hardness and SA&Team there did some fluid passage through clutch system and collecting in tray below while pressing the clutch- what is mentioned by you technically as "clutch bleeding". After this exercise clutch seemed ok but was still hard in comparison to other vehicles say Fiat/Tata/Maruti.

Again during recent 20k km service did same after I insisted that the clutch seemed hard. At this point I was suggested that if the hardness is still there clutch replacement is the only solution.

As suggested by you, let me try and replace fluids and again clutch bled method.

P.S power delivery and other things are just fine.

Last edited by novicefreak : 27th January 2017 at 17:33.
novicefreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 23:28   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
========
What is your opinion of clutch hardness/softness? Appreciate your share of information!
Well all my friends who drive my new Figo tdci all say the clutch is a bit hard. I bought the car after having owned a couple of marutis and their clutches were a whole lot lighter. I drove a diesel Punto recently and was surprised to find how light its clutch was. So I guess the clutch is a bit on the harder side and it can get a bit tiring sometimes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th March 2017 at 18:25. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readabilty
bullrun87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 10:32   #1194
BHPian

Ford Aspire : Official Review-img_20170128_105554_452.jpg
here is the updated price list for mangalore, karnataka. What I noticed is even the ambient version has an option pack available that comes with abs now. So abs is more or less a standard feature now. And the titanium seems to have a new safety pack version. Not sure what the safety pack is though any insights would be helpful. Same goes to the Figo as well.

Sorry for the bad photo. My phone doesn't fare well In this matter

Last edited by blackbandit : 28th January 2017 at 10:58. Reason: Added better photo
blackbandit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 10:40   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
And the titanium seems to have a new safety pack version. Not sure what the safety pack is though any insights would be helpful. Same goes to the Figo as well.
Thank you for the price list.

The Titanium with Safety Pack allows you to get 6 airbags in the Titanium variant itself. Previously, 6 airbags were limited to only the Titanium+ variant.

Yes, its a good gesture of them to offer ABS in even the Ambiente trim; let them differentiate variants on other features, not safety.
arunphilip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 14:47   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As members have suggested here you can try the various options to smoothen your clutch.

I would recommend you a minor change in driving style. I was earlier driving an Innova and now TUV3OO for my daily office commute and that too in Pune city. You can just imagine how much my left leg would be complaining to me . Most of us TBHPians don't ride the clutch, however we tend to keep our left foot just over the clutch pedal for those reflex actions when sudden gear changes are anticipated. So our left foot rests on the heel, while the toe lies just above the clutch pedal. This induces a lot of stress in left leg.

Couple of months back I changed by driving style. I drive in a more relaxed manner, pressing the clutch pedal only during gear changes or going over speed-breakers/ pot holes, not to let the engine die. All other times I am resting my left foot completely flat on the floor mat (both heel and toe). This gives the much needed respite to the left leg. Also I drive at a leisurely pace within city, doing less gear changes, using diesel engine torque to coast along etc. This change in driving style has made my left leg dance with joy
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:23   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thank you for the price list.

The Titanium with Safety Pack allows you to get 6 airbags in the Titanium variant itself. Previously, 6 airbags were limited to only the Titanium+ variant.

Why wasn't it an option from the start when I got my car? I would have certainly gone for 6 airbag Titanium variant.
teemus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 18:50   #1198
BHPian

Just a silly question. Do most of the 1.2l petrol engines available today have a poor bottom-end? I see that the various forums for different cars (be it Aspire, or Elite i20 or Jazz) complain of poor low-end torque in these engines. I agree that even my Aspire's low end is not so great but nothing major to complain about. It just wants a downshift.
If Volkswagen could tune a 3-cyl mill in a Polo to provide enough grunt at the bottom-end, why not these 4-cyl motors be tuned for better torque at the low-end? Or is it just the gearing ratio that is fiddling with the torque wave?
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 19:14   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a silly question. Do most of the 1.2l petrol engines available today have a poor bottom-end? I see that the various forums for different cars (be it Aspire, or Elite i20 or Jazz) complain of poor low-end torque in these engines.

We had a Punto 1.2. It was superbly tuned for low end. Even with the added heft of Punto ( compared to other cars), we didn't feel it to be very lethargic. Post 80kmph though the progress was slow.
Old 30th January 2017, 19:26   #1200
Senior - BHPian

My 2009 spark also has great low end torque that can move the car from rest even in second without any knocking. It has the best low end torque compared to my etios 1.5, Ritz Vdi and only my old Figo TDCi comes close. I drove an Amaze recently and I was scratching my head wondering what all the fuss about Honda petrol engines was all about and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. There was hardly any low end torque to talk about. The spark is the best city car I have ever driven as far as drivability is concerned and the milage is about 12-13kpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks