Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 19:29   #1201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Just a silly question. Do most of the 1.2l petrol engines available today have a poor bottom-end? I see that the various forums for different cars (be it Aspire, or Elite i20 or Jazz) complain of poor low-end torque in these engines.
If Volkswagen could tune a 3-cyl mill in a Polo to provide enough grunt at the bottom-end, why not these 4-cyl motors be tuned for better torque at the low-end? Or is it just the gearing ratio that is fiddling with the torque wave?
Firstly, its not a silly question, its a very valid one. There are many reasons for what you describe:
  1. Emission norms have been getting stricter over time, which means that manufacturers have had to fiddle with engine tuning to hit those targets, which resulted in lowering of power.
  2. Variable valve timing has helped mitigate this somewhat, but it cannot magically increase power. If you recall, the i10 originally came with a 1.2 Kappa engine that was quite weak in the low-end. The Kappa2 engine improved the low-end with variable valve timing. Sadly, Ford adding Ti-VCT to the 1.2 engine has not had as noticeable an effect.
  3. Manufacturers have been moving to dual overhead camshafts (DOHC), again driven in part by emission regulations (more valves = better efficiency/scavenging). DOHC again has the result that the engine has weaker lower-end torque, but is able to rev smoother and freely to its redline. Again, if you compare the 1.3L Getz engine, it had amazing low-end torque and driveability since it is an SOHC, but feels strained as the revs rise.
  4. A 3-cyl engine has a higher torque per cylinder than a 4-cyl engine of the same capacity (since the cylinder volume is larger: 1.2L across 3 cylinders = 400 cc/cyl, 1.2L across across 4 cylinders = 300 cc/cyl), resulting in a better power stroke. As long as the crankshaft is balanced to smooth out the 3-cylinder vibrations, it can offer better torque - especially at the low-end - at the expense of smoothness.
  5. I'm also not sure in the case of Ford, to what extent their international powertrain team has been involved in the Indian 1.2L engine's development. Internationally, when the Figo is sold with a 1.2L engine (e.g. UK) it is a different engine that is derived off a 1.25L engine that was used in the UK-spec Fiesta hatchback.
  6. As pointed out by you - gearing also plays a role, and petrol hatchbacks have to be geared for efficiency given prevailing market trends in India.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 20:55   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post

Why wasn't it an option from the start when I got my car? I would have certainly gone for 6 airbag Titanium variant.
It is an addition in the 2017 model While people were ranting about the silly deletions that ford made people forgot to highlight the essential additions. Abs as standard and six airbags in titanium are truly good additions. I highly feel that the additions should have been highlighted in the forum rather than the deletions. As of now the spotlight is on those little deletions that don't even matter
blackbandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 23:09   #1203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
As far as the service centre is concerned, mine is a one off case. I have told them to investigate further. That maybe it could be a problem with a certain batch. Let's see where this leads to. Maybe a silent recall if there are enough complaints.
Sam,

Can you just check who is the supplier/manufacturer of the headlights? A sticker is located on the headlamp unit.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:45   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sam,

Can you just check who is the supplier/manufacturer of the headlights? A sticker is located on the headlamp unit.
Ford Aspire : Official Review-20170209-09.36.18.jpg

I assume it's VALEO. And made in India.
So it will not be that expensive to replace.

Could all Aspire/Figo owners please check if there is a spare set of fuses in the First Aid kit that came with the car. I did not find one in mine.

The reason being that it's the rarely used Micro3 type fuse and I could not find it anywhere in the open market. The Ford service centre didn't have it in stock either. They did not even know that the Figo/Aspire come with a fuse that is not the same as for the other Fords.

If you do not find it in the kit, then order a spare set from Ford - just in case.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:35   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Attachment 1606241

I assume it's VALEO. And made in India.
So it will not be that expensive to replace.

Could all Aspire/Figo owners please check if there is a spare set of fuses in the First Aid kit that came with the car. I did not find one in mine.
Mine is also Valeo made on Sept 2016. No spare fuse in the first aid kit too.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:54   #1206
BHPian

Just for kicks, I contacted Ford's Facebook page to ask if I could 'upgrade' to the stiffer suspension that's provided in UK's KA+. Quite surprisingly for such a strange request, things moved very fast - I was requested for my contact number, then somebody called me and understood my request in detail, and then they called me back the very next day to tell me that it can't be done because of ARAI regulations and homologation requirements.

Even though they turned down my request, the way they dealt with me on what many would call an impractical request was beyond reproach.

Kudos to the customer care team at Ford!
d3mon is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 16:29   #1207
BHPian

Have been following this and the figo thread closely ever since the reviews. I have sold by S10 last November with great difficulty as it was turning out into a white elephant. My research for a replacement begin much before selling the car but still not been able to zero down.

My budget : 7 to 8 lakhs
Usage : Primarily city but I would love to explore new places with family on weekends and holidays

Prime requirements:
1. Excellent or atleast fair suspension as I live in a locality which has worst roads.
2. Easy to maintain and reliable (very ver imp, burnt my pockets with the palio)
3. Front and rear adjustable seat headrests
4. ABS, EBD, Rear wash and wipe mandatory
5. Value for money.
6. Enjoyable drive
7. Space (we are a family of 5 + 1 dog) The dog hates to travel in car and bike though.

I waited for the Ignis but due to it's premium pricing i feel the Baleno is more value for money. I can get the Delta petrol in 7.2 lakhs approx which is bang for the buck. However, reading the ride quality issues I am little apprehensive. On the other hand the figo aspire looks tempting and with little more money I can get the Figo aspire trend D variant and use it for my daily office use as well (60 KM up and down). I have been to the ford showrooms twice but couldn't test ride the cars yet.

Now I am worried if another episode of Fiat might open up if I choose the blue oval. I am looking to keep the car for 7 to 8 years atleast and reliability and easy to maintain is on top of my list. Not to forget the rear seat passengers have to feel comfortable.

I'ts very hard to ignore the ford twins after the price correction and at the same time do not want to regret.

Advice from gurus and co-owners. Help me please.

Edit : I posted the similar post in the Tata Zest and Honda Jazz threads months back hence was able to filter them out.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 15th February 2017 at 16:36. Reason: Added text
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 16:43   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Now I am worried if another episode of Fiat might open up if I choose the blue oval. I am looking to keep the car for 7 to 8 years atleast and reliability and easy to maintain is on top of my list.
Ford's cars never had a reputation of being unreliable, or difficult to maintain.

Yes, they had a reputation of being expensive to maintain, but that reputation hasn't been true for at least a decade. Take a look at this thread (A visit to Ford's Technical Training Centre @ Manesar) which also touches on some aspects of cheaper maintenance of Fords.

I've given this advice to others previously, and I'll say it again - on these points (unreliability/difficult to maintain), you don't have to worry about Ford, they're generally around or better than the market average.

Just ensure that the car itself does tick all the important boxes for you. Check its ride quality, since this is important to you. The Figo/Aspire are more softly sprung than previous Fords, but they still have the Ford feel to them; so ensure this is not too hard or uncomfortable for you.

Quote:
Edit : I posted the similar post in the Tata Zest and Honda Jazz threads months back hence was able to filter them out.
I can understand ruling out a Tata car, but where did the Jazz fall short? I don't see it as unreliable or difficult to maintain, and is quite a fine car. Only the price might go against your budget.

Last edited by arunphilip : 15th February 2017 at 16:58.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 18:19   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Prime requirements:
1. Excellent or atleast fair suspension as I live in a locality which has worst roads.
2. Easy to maintain and reliable (very ver imp, burnt my pockets with the palio)
5. Value for money.
6. Enjoyable drive
7. Space (we are a family of 5 + 1 dog) The dog hates to travel in car and bike though.
Not to forget the rear seat passengers have to feel comfortable.
I have bought an aspire just 4 months back so I cannot comment on the reliability yet. But it ticks all the other points you have mentioned. But 5+1 will definitely be a squeeze though. I think only the Jazz will be spacious enough for your requirement.
samcan123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 22:12   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Ford's cars never had a reputation of being unreliable, or difficult to maintain.

Just ensure that the car itself does tick all the important boxes for you. Check its ride quality, since this is important to you. The Figo/Aspire are more softly sprung than previous Fords, but they still have the Ford feel to them; so ensure this is not too hard or uncomfortable for you.

I can understand ruling out a Tata car, but where did the Jazz fall short? I don't see it as unreliable or difficult to maintain, and is quite a fine car. Only the price might go against your budget.

Thanks for the inputs. I am planning to test drive this Saturday.
Regarding the Jazz, yes it was out of budget. The S variant didn't come with abs nor rear wash wipe , defogger and adjustable head rests despite priced at 7.6 on road which were all the deal breakers for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
I have bought an aspire just 4 months back so I cannot comment on the reliability yet. But it ticks all the other points you have mentioned. But 5+1 will definitely be a squeeze though. I think only the Jazz will be spacious enough for your requirement.

Oh ! Most of the time we would be just 4 adults and my 2 year old daughter. Is yours diesel or Petrol ? How is the rear comfort ?
Old 15th February 2017, 22:21   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ! Most of the time we would be just 4 adults and my 2 year old daughter. Is yours diesel or Petrol ? How is the rear comfort ?
The figo is indeed quite spacious enough. And 5 of you would fit easily considering the two adults in the rear of medium build. And as for the rear comfort, it has been complimented by almost everyone who has been seated in my car. I personally am never at the back. It seems it is very comfortable even during long journeys as per inputs by my family and friends. And if its enjoyable drive your seeking its definitely the diesel that you should looking out for.

Last edited by blackbandit : 15th February 2017 at 22:23.
blackbandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 23:17   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
.. My budget : 7 to 8 lakhs
Usage : Primarily city but I would love to explore new places with family on weekends and holidays

Prime requirements:
5. Value for money.
6. Enjoyable drive
The above requirements vis-a-vis the Aspire/Figo diesel in my opinion :

1 - Suspension is not that soft. But it's definitely not uncomfortable. Moreover, the power on tap would require a slightly stiffer suspension.
2 - Yes they are!! I've covered 45K KMs on my Figo TDCi in about 15months so far and have been very satisfied on this aspect.
3 - Adjustable headrests for rear seats aren't there on the Figo but the Aspire has them, I think.
4 - Yes, they have(Titanium variants).
5 - Yes, very much!!
6 - The TDCi engine?! Oh Yes, most definitely
7 - Leg-room-wise, quite spacious. However, that's not quite the case laterally-speaking for the back seat (three adults would be a little uncomfortable)
espraveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 11:02   #1213
BHPian

Thank you for the replies. Can anybody who have driven the baleno and aspire comment on the Ride quality comparison ?
Old 16th February 2017, 11:29   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a petrol Titanium. I have not been on the rear seat mostly, so I don't have a first hand experience. But my family members were very satisfied by the rear seat comfort and ride quality on a trip from Bangalore to Coorg. We were 5 adults seated during that trip.
Quote:
Can anybody who have driven the baleno and aspire comment on the Ride quality comparison ?
I have just driven the Baleno for a short distance during the test drives so my perception might not be right. But as far as Aspire's suspension goes, though not in the leagues of Fiat, it does it's job pretty well. It is softly sprung but there is a slight hint of underlying firmness. But it is never uncomfortable. The only grouse is that the front suspension gives out a thud on bigger potholes.

If you are going for a petrol, I would say Baleno beats Aspire in terms of performance, whereas in case of diesel the Aspire beats Baleno. Test drive both and decide for yourself. IMO, Aspire Titanium and Baleno Delta are VFM given the pricing and the features.
samcan123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 12:15   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My budget : 7 to 8 lakhs

Prime requirements:
1. Excellent or atleast fair suspension as I live in a locality which has worst roads:
You will need the Hexa if the roads are as bad you say they are. The Aspire maintains its composure over bad roads - my parents, both with bad backs do not complain when seated in the Aspire - as against the Alto.

Should not be an issue - service has also become cheaper now - cheaper that Maruti (notice the ads on TV?)

Aspire has them in all the variants.

ABS, EBD - YES. But rear wash and wipe in a sedan? Aspire doesn't have it and I don't know of any other Sedan or Compact Sedan that has them either.

5. Value for money.
YES. And very safe. I have not come across any accident of the Figo/Aspire that has resulted in any major injuries/death (mine included). That should add a lot more Value to the car.

6. Enjoyable drive
I own a petrol, and I make opportunities to go for long drives. It is most definitely fun to drive. The diesel - even more so.

7. Space (we are a family of 5+1 dog) The dog hates to travel in car and bike though.
This depends on how big you all are If you are all small like us (under 5'6") then it will be more than comfortable with enough leg space for the dog to sit in.

Sam
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks