Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2016, 12:05   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by callrakesh View Post
Hi, I am still a newbie, so don't have an option of PM to the TeamBHP members. I have just received a message providing me userid+password for SOUL microsite.

What is SOUL WA group? I am available at 9810094072, callrakesh@gmail.com.

Thanks.
'Safari Owners United League’
http://safari.tatamotors.com/soul/login-register

There are many active members here in TBHP too.
Old 31st August 2016, 12:50   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
'Safari Owners United League’
http://safari.tatamotors.com/soul/login-register

There are many active members here in TBHP too.
Thanks, I have received the userid+password for SOUL microsite and I have also been added to the Delhi NCR SOUL WhatsApp group.
Old 31st August 2016, 12:52   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Rakesh, try out Arya Motors in Gurgaon next time. A whole bunch of us Safari guys service our vehicles there. In fact, you can say that this workshop has been specifically appointed for us Safari guys.....
Is Arya Motors Gurgaon a Tata authorised Service Center? I can plan my second service at this service center. Thanks.
Old 31st August 2016, 13:15   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callrakesh View Post
Is Arya Motors Gurgaon a Tata authorised Service Center? I can plan my second service at this service center. Thanks.
Yes. It turns up as ANR Motors in the official TML database.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 18:49   #410
BHPian

After sitting on the fence for a long time, thinking about the fate of diesels, finally took the plunge and got myself a VX 4x4.

Have a few questions:
- The clutch makes "clank" sound sometimes when pressing and releasing the pedal. Sound seems to be emanating from the engine bay. Is it normal? The salesman says so.
- Heard some metallic (again "clank") sounds while reversing. These seem to be coming from front/rear axles. Is THIS normal? Not yet talked to salesman about this.
- What's the average I should expect, in typical Bangalore traffic?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_0590.jpg  

black_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 20:48   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
After sitting on the fence for a long time, thinking about the fate of diesels, finally took the plunge and got myself a VX 4x4.

Have a few questions:
- The clutch makes "clank" sound sometimes when pressing and releasing the pedal. Sound seems to be emanating from the engine bay. Is it normal? The salesman says so.
- Heard some metallic (again "clank") sounds while reversing. These seem to be coming from front/rear axles. Is THIS normal? Not yet talked to salesman about this.
Congrats black_rider; welcome to the club!!

About the questions; I'd say, welcome again to the 'Safari Idiosyncrasies'! You'd have already seen the exact same clutch issue reported by many of us already, with the new 400. Thankfully, this issue seems to have gone away for most of us with time and clocking additional kms. I am at 4.7K with first service done and I still hear it sometimes; you could try a gradual release/engage cycle and see if you still hear it.

The axle clank is something new; haven't faced it. But mine is a 4X2 anyway. I know you'd have checked it but just ensure the 4X4 is not engaged. Again, this could also be an occassional thing and may go off with time and kms.

I am getting between 7-9 kmpl with a 50-50 mix of B2B and open roads here in Hyd; this is with the AC 90% of the time.

I hope you'd have taken the additional warranty and AMC; please do so if you haven't done already, for peace of mind! Enjoy your beast!!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 09:44   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Have a few questions:

Congratulations !

1) clutch pedal release sound is normal. It would go away with a couple of thousands of KMs.

2) you should be able to get 9+ in Bangalore's crazy traffic that I used to get in my Dicor. I am sure, Storme wouldnt have degraded it.

Welcome to Safari club, safe motoring.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 12:46   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
While the clutch is being pressed, just as it crosses the point of engagement/disengagement, TAK comes a sound and even the engine note changes just a bit to make it noticeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Congrats black_rider; welcome to the club!!

About the questions; I'd say, welcome again to the 'Safari Idiosyncrasies'! You'd have already seen the exact same clutch issue reported by many of us already, with the new 400.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Congratulations !

1) clutch pedal release sound is normal. It would go away with a couple of thousands of KMs.
Thanks for the wishes guys. And the replies too. Info straight from experienced owners does mean a lot.

Navpreet, I could see that you too have a 4x4. Can you share your experience? I kept hearing intermittent clunks, clanks, muted thuds while driving today. Sounds even when clutch is not pressed, and the car is moving. Seems to be coming from the drivetrain. Cannot pin point where. Tried listening to them standing outside of the car as well, while someone else drove it slowly. Sounds are not very loud, but definitely not something that I can ignore. Car is always driven in 2H. I make sure everytime before cranking that the knob is on 2H and none of the 4H/2L lights are glowing. Did have the 4x4 checked at dealership 2 days before taking delivery, by lifting car up on a 2-post lift and slight throttle inputs with gearbox in 1st and TC with 4H engaged. One more thing, the car was in 4H at time of delivery, which did not have me happy. I clearly let the salesperson know about my displeasure and duly noted it down on feedback forms as well. I do not know how long it had run in 4H, but I hope that did not mess up things.
Old 13th September 2016, 19:52   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navpreet, I could see that you too have a 4x4. Can you share your experience? I kept hearing intermittent clunks, clanks, muted thuds while driving today. Sounds even when clutch is not pressed, and the car is moving. Seems to be coming from the drivetrain. Cannot pin point where. Tried listening to them standing outside of the car as well, while someone else drove it slowly. Sounds are not very loud, but definitely not something that I can ignore. Car is always driven in 2H. I make sure everytime before cranking that the knob is on 2H and none of the 4H/2L lights are glowing. Did have the 4x4 checked at dealership 2 days before taking delivery, by lifting car up on a 2-post lift and slight throttle inputs with gearbox in 1st and TC with 4H engaged. One more thing, the car was in 4H at time of delivery, which did not have me happy. I clearly let the salesperson know about my displeasure and duly noted it down on feedback forms as well. I do not know how long it had run in 4H, but I hope that did not mess up things.
Hi Black Rider,

Are you sure those sounds are coming from the drivetrain?
There is one sound of the clutch definitely. Even if at standstill you leave the clutch pedal in neutral gear, you will hear that "TAK" sound. That is definitely present.

Other than that if you followed my thread, I particularly was irritated with the thuds and "Tak"s from the driver seat. They seem to come form the body or from the back but are actually from the seat mounting points. Irritating as hell and they come whenever there is a body movement on the seat like on undulations, turns etc.
Another clanking is from the roof mounted AC. That is one sound that I have not got rectified because it required removal of the headliner. I don't want any more issues to crop up by the removal of the headliner and hence living with it. As it is, it comes only during very hot days when the car is parked in the sun.

Regarding the drivetrain thuds. There is one which I experience maybe once a week or so. It has something to do with the handbrake I feel.
I have been advised to not drive the vehicle with the handbrake on (even by mistake) very very specifically as there have some issues regarding that.

About the vehicle being in 4H at delivery. They never learn do they. My vehicle was also delivered with the 4H. I was furious!
Even I am hoping that it did not damage the drive train.

Hope you have taken the Gold AMC for the full 3 years. You should if you haven't.

I am yet to gain confidence in Tata now that our beloved Bawaji, BD sir, is gone. He was the one man army fighting not just for me but all tata customers.

Do let me know if you have any more queries. Enjoy the vehicle. I love pedal to the metal driving leaving other fast vehicle drivers gazing as to what a heavy Tata just did at the green light. Superb feel.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 23:43   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Have a few questions:
The clutch sound comes when depressed quickly and it's common in all the ARIA/Storme's which come with a self adjusting clutch. There should be no problems with that and I too faced the same in my Aria. Do you get the sounds from the drive train only while reversing?
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 06:53   #416
BHPian

Quote:

Have a few questions:
Mine is the 320nm ex variant but I have the clank sound on releasing the clutch only from 1st gear. Been there since day 1 and till now (7 months, 14000kms). SA says it's normal. Average Fuel consumption till date has been 12.8 kpl with a 50:50 mix of chennai city and highway driving. AC on always and highway speeds at about 100-105 kph
Seek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 11:10   #417
BHPian

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Are you sure those sounds are coming from the drivetrain?
Hope you have taken the Gold AMC for the full 3 years. You should if you haven't.

I am yet to gain confidence in Tata now that our beloved Bawaji, BD sir, is gone. He was the one man army fighting not just for me but all tata customers.
Sounds are definitely not from the cabin. I can hear them more clearly when I'm outside the car and it is moving slowly. Checked the spare wheel as well, to make sure it's not dangling loose and making sounds. But it's secure. I'm taking the car to service center on Saturday. This needs to be sorted out at the earliest.

No AMC for now. I particularly asked the salesman about Gold AMC, but he said no such thing is on offer. I will check again. But I've bought the additional 4th year warranty. BD Sir definitely made it a better experience for Tata customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Do you get the sounds from the drive train only while reversing?
Figured out its not only during reversing, but going forward as well. Car has done ~250 km now, in a week of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
Mine is the 320nm ex variant but I have the clank sound on releasing the clutch only from 1st gear. Been there since day 1 and till now (7 months, 14000kms). SA says it's normal. Average Fuel consumption till date has been 12.8 kpl with a 50:50 mix of chennai city and highway driving. AC on always and highway speeds at about 100-105 kph
Thanks Seek.
Old 14th September 2016, 13:30   #418
BHPian

All those sounds are normal. With the clutch its the release bearing sound. It will go away soon and then come back after 5000 Kms :-) and again go away after service.
Enjoy your beast and get used to ignoring these odd noises.
The drivetrain sound is actually coming from gearbox part and you can reproduce it by putting it in first gear, sudden clutch release and then sudden reverse gear (with clutch ofcourse). The car is not the issue here but just that you have to get used to this car. When you release the clutch, let the torque do its job and accelerate slowly after that and you will not notice the sounds.
One thing I can suggest is that turn off ignition, and then WITHOUT pressing the clutch, try to engage gears. If you hear cling cling sounds, inform them and they will tighten the pins. Nothing serious

Last edited by rajismine : 14th September 2016 at 13:31.
rajismine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 12:47   #419

Sharing a pic from last week's trip in Uttarakhand. I did a day trip from Dehradun - Mussorie - Dhanoulti - Kanatal - Tehri(Dam) - Narendra Nagar - Rishikesh - Dehradun.

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-20160904narendranagar.jpg

Kanatal was the highest point in this drive. Enjoyed heavy rains and cloudy roads in some stretches.

I am always looking for an opportunity to go to the mountains. Next one on my list is to visit apple orchards in Narkanda / Thanedaar in Himachal.
callrakesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 14:30   #420
BHPian

Update/Rant:

It's been raining cats and dogs for the past few days here in Hyd, which basically meant using the defogger quite a bit. While that's been working fine, whenever I try to switch back to the normal AC mode, it just doesn't work?!

The blower continues to throw warm air even if the temp knob is turned all the way back to coldest setting . In fact, it was worse off today; even after switching off the blower, I could clearly feel warm air flowing into the car through the vents.

Intermittent attempts to switch back on the AC in normal mode (after I reached office) also didn't work.

The SA is not reachable so far, maybe due to the Ganesh immersion today; request gurus for any pointers?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks