Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 10:21   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

My Tiago's third service is due next month. Few queries to those who have gone through the same. (It will complete ~9000 Kilometers by next month)

1. Based on the comments made on all TATA dealers and my own experience I am realizing that they will not look in anything unless I tell them to check. Then apart from the schedule what else is good to get checked?

2. The steering wheel is always tilted a bit to left side from day 1. Again a lot of reviews/videos say it as a common issue in Tiago/Tigor. This is not an issue as such but very evident. Is it worth mentioning it to the service folks? I did not mention it in previous two services and they too did not bother to ask me or check by themselves. I do not want them to screw up working things unnecessarily.

3. Should I mention about the rattles I get from the dashboard's central flat area and front right door? They are not annoying yet but noticeable. Again do not want to fix that is not broken yet.

4. In last two services they asked for flat Rs. 250/- and Rs. 500/- for first and second services respectively. They topped up oil, coolant and tightened some nuts and bolts along with cleaning the car. Since third service will include oil and oil filter change, how much should I expect they will ask for?

Your inputs will help a lot to get things done from "Not so interested TATA service folks"
Old 18th March 2020, 11:07   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
My Tiago's third service is due next month. Few queries to those who have gone through the same. (It will complete ~9000 Kilometers by next month)
I am assuming this is the first year service (1 year or 15000 kms).

1. Follow the manual, that should be good enough at 9000 kms. Check for AC cooling as summer is about to set in, apart from the things you have mentioned.

2. Get your steering wheel aligned. I never had such problem, may be service folks are being too lazy.

3. You can mention rattles, but there is no real longtime fix for that. It will start rattling again after a few days.

4. Third service is free, I mean only consumables to be charged. It should cost you around 1500, if you exclude tyre alignment and balancing.

My car is also scheduled to go for 60000 kms service next month. I will post details here after service.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 18th March 2020 at 11:09.
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 12:30   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post

4. Third service is free, I mean only consumables to be charged. It should cost you around 1500, if you exclude tyre alignment and balancing.
Yes, it is 1 year or 15000 free service. Should I go for tyre alignment and balancing after 9000 Kilometers? I do not see any pulling of drifting effect. Obviously service folks will insist on that.
I will check on the steering wheel alignment but they might link the wheel alignment part with steering alignment to mint money from me.
Old 18th March 2020, 12:58   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Yes, it is 1 year or 15000 free service. Should I go for tyre alignment and balancing after 9000 Kilometers? I do not see any pulling of drifting effect. Obviously service folks will insist on that.
I will check on the steering wheel alignment but they might link the wheel alignment part with steering alignment to mint money from me.
I would suggest to get it done (at SVC or outside). I get tyres rotated and alignment checked every 7000 kms, considering condition of Indian roads. Balancing, I haven't faced any need till now. I got it checked at 30k kms and it was fine.
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:07   #2525
BHPian

Folks, I need urgent advise.

Today morning I drove back from Mysore (sorry, it was a family emergency and had to travel). After a ~150KM run, my 2017 Tiago XZ (P) suddenly ran out of breath. The engine shut off in the middle of the road for no reason. I had half a tank fuel, the engine temperature was at 50% , no warning on the dash board either.

I cranked the engine and after a couple of cranks it started. I drove for 200m and the engine shut off again. This time even after 3-4 cranks it did not start. Since the car was slowly moving, I used the momentum to de clutch and start the car.

I kept managed to keep the car running and somehow managed to reach home. Any idea why this happened ? Could this be due to weak battery ?
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:29   #2526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I kept managed to keep the car running and somehow managed to reach home. Any idea why this happened ? Could this be due to weak battery ?
A weak battery shouldn't stop a running engine. Do you get a battery icon glowing on the console even when the engine is running?

When exactly did the engine shut off? Was it during a gear shift when clutch was pressed and RPM was at idle for a moment? When was the last time your air filter was cleaned / replaced?
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:43   #2527
BHPian

Quote:

Today morning I drove back from Mysore (sorry, it was a family emergency and had to travel). After a ~150KM run, my 2017 Tiago XZ (P) suddenly ran out of breath. The engine shut off in the middle of the road for no reason. I had half a tank fuel, the engine temperature was at 50% , no warning on the dash board either.

I cranked the engine and after a couple of cranks it started. I drove for 200m and the engine shut off again. This time even after 3-4 cranks it did not start. Since the car was slowly moving, I used the momentum to de clutch and start the car.

Was there a feeling of loss of power when you engage the clutch and just when the car starts to roll? If yes, it could be fuel pump issue, which is common in Tiago. I was stranded midway couple of times. Engine would shut down abruptly especially when ambient temperature is high or car has run a bit, like in your case. Give the car a bit of breather for 20-30 mins and if it runs fine after that, then fuel pump might be culprit.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 23rd March 2020 at 20:48.
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:44   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A weak battery shouldn't stop a running engine. Do you get a battery icon glowing on the console even when the engine is running?

When exactly did the engine shut off? Was it during a gear shift when clutch was pressed and RPM was at idle for a moment? When was the last time your air filter was cleaned / replaced?
Off topic. -->I apologise for the poor formatting in my original post.

The engine was shut off while running. Not sure if it was while shifting gear. I had left the car at TASS just last week and a general service was done. This should include the AC filter and air filter cleaning.
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:50   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Was there a feeling of loss of power when you engage the clutch and just when the car starts to roll? If yes, it could be fuel pump issue, which is common in Tiago. I was stranded midway couple of times. Engine would shut down abruptly especially when ambient temperature is high or car has run a bit, like in your case.
I did not observe that. I will take a short ride again and see if the loss of power happens when I use the clutch. What was the resolution for fuel pump issues ? Please correct me if I am wrong, was there a known issue for fuel pump in petrol Tiago too ?
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:50   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I faced the very same situation in my Zest in 2018 (incidentally it was also near Mysuru). It is documented in this thread (link (A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir)).
It was diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump, which I believe has been inherited by Tiago as well (I've come across quite a few cases in TBHP itself). Kindly get it checked.

Edit: I see that ast.ggn has suggested the same. I agree with him. Fuel pump is the most likely culprit here. In my case, they replaced the fuel pump free-of-charge since it was covered in warranty. I was charged total of Rs.100 for some consumables.

Last edited by srvm : 23rd March 2020 at 20:55.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:52   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Was there a feeling of loss of power when you engage the clutch and just when the car starts to roll? If yes, it could be fuel pump issue, which is common in Tiago. I was stranded midway couple of times. Engine would shut down abruptly especially when ambient temperature is high or car has run a bit, like in your case.
I did not observe that. I will take a short ride again and see if the loss of power happens when I use the clutch. What was the resolution for fuel pump issues ? Please correct me if I am wrong, was there a known issue for fuel pump in petrol Tiago too ?

Also, I forgot to mention. There is a weird "trr trr trr" noise from below the engine. The SA at TASS told me that its due to silencer vibration and is common in Tiago and Tigor. Anyone facing this issue ?
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:54   #2532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic. -->I apologise for the poor formatting in my original post.

The engine was shut off while running. Not sure if it was while shifting gear. I had left the car at TASS just last week and a general service was done. This should include the AC filter and air filter cleaning.
Alright - some questions -
  1. Like asked before - does your battery icon glow even when engine is running? (Why I ask - that would mean a kaput alternator & this might cause an engine shut in some cases.)
  2. Did you fill up from any fuel bunk recently, where you generally don't go?
  3. What fuel level do you generally maintain in the car?

If alternator is working fine - this might be adulterated fuel OR a malfunctioning fuel pump in the tank.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:57   #2533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Alright - some questions -
  1. Like asked before - does your battery icon glow even when engine is running? (Why I ask - that would mean a kaput alternator & this might cause an engine shut in some cases.)
  2. Did you fill up from any fuel bunk recently, where you generally don't go?
  3. What fuel level do you generally maintain in the car?

If alternator is working fine - this might be adulterated fuel OR a malfunctioning fuel pump in the tank.

1.No battery icon does not glow when engine is running.
2.No, I filled petrol from my usual bunk which I have been using for the past 10 years.
3. Generally I maintain 5-10 L minimum and during long drives, I tank up completely.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:08   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I was and am always afraid of with Tiago. I had raised a query about the fuel pump issue to SVC person and as expected he did not respond (two possibilities, he did not know or did not want to put his head in that discussion, a government job mentality). Yes, fuel pump is the culprit. If you have warranty you will get it replaced for free (else some Rs. 12K). I wonder if this is specific for cars until 2018. I hope TATA is listening to this and working on it as face lifted Tiago and Altroz are on the list for this issue. TATA do not want their cars called as "unreliable".
By the way what is the ODO reading on your car? My 2019 Tiago has completed 7.5K kilometers and my last long drive was 400+ km non stop both sides. Do you drive with heavy foot? Fuel is another possible culprit but very unlikely.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 23rd March 2020 at 21:12.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:21   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This issues was faced in my Tiago couple of times and it was diagnosed to be a faulty fuel pump. 2016 Tiago models had this issue, not sure the later one's had or not.

If your car is under warranty, visit the nearest service center and get it replaced. If not I believe it costs around 5K (not sure).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks