Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 22:52   #4306
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Hello guys, have bought a preowned 2016 endeavour 3.2 titanium this week. This is my first SUV and loving the experience totally. It has run 84500 kms and was maintained at Ford all this while. I have noticed 2 problems in the car. There seems to be a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the center console behind the AC buttons. It stops when I start the car and the AC starts blowing. It sounds like some motor is running continuously. Is it related to the heater coil? Also sometimes when I turn the steering wheel lock to lock in standing position while parking, I feel some resistance just before the last half turn of the steering wheel. Any ideas what could be wrong.

Last edited by BLACKRiVAL : 26th October 2020 at 23:05.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 06:34   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Any ideas what could be wrong.
The first question that needs to be asked is - before you purchased the vehicle, did you have it thoroughly inspected by a trusted mechanic/ASC?

Coming to your problems -

1. Clicking noise behind the dash

Does it sound like this? - and/or this

If yes, it’s your blend door actuator/stepper motor/relay of your HVAC system starting to break down.

2. Steering wheel resistance

Your vehicle is equipped with a Ford EPAS system - http://www.fordproblems.com/epas/

Does the resistance look/feel similar to this? - (yes I know the video demonstrates the problem in a hydraulic power steering system)

If yes, it could be the steering rack itself starting to go out, or the steering angle sensor which is faulty. Also it may indicate a front end alignment problem which is messing with your steering geometry. If the resistance continues to get worse/increase over time, its most likely the steering rack.

Fingers crossed there aren’t any other problems hiding inside your vehicle.

Good luck!

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 27th October 2020 at 06:36.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 06:49   #4308
BHPian

Hi dear, first of all a lot of congratulations for your suv. The noise behind your dash is from the recirculating mode plastic behind the dash. Even it comes from my car too. Leave it as it is until it bothers you too much. I have that noise since last two years. I suspected a rat and ended up getting my dash board being opened and paying 10K uselessly for it. The noise persisted so opened it up on my own and discovered it and left it the way it is. No problem so far. Thanks

Mod Note : Please put a space after a punctuation mark. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th October 2020 at 22:29. Reason: Mod note attached.
Rustom Mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:43   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys, have bought a preowned 2016 endeavour 3.2 titanium this week. This is my first SUV and loving the experience totally. It has run 84500 kms and was maintained at Ford all this while. I have noticed 2 problems in the car. There seems to be a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the center console behind the AC buttons. It stops when I start the car and the AC starts blowing. It sounds like some motor is running continuously. Is it related to the heater coil? Also sometimes when I turn the steering wheel lock to lock in standing position while parking, I feel some resistance just before the last half turn of the steering wheel. Any ideas what could be wrong.
I had this issue in my 2015 manufactured 3.2 Titanium which was pointed out during regular service and it was taken care of. I don't remember if it was done under warranty or not - sorry.

It usually happened to me for a minute after the car was switched off.
vijay.sundar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 13:26   #4310
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

My friend is owning 3.2 Endeavour (July 2018) clocked 22,500 km, and its warranty is over (he missed to get the extended warranty). He needs a feedback/suggestion for the following concerns in his car:

1. Quite often, the gear transmission is not optimum, mainly while driving uphill and during overtakes. He manages by using cruise control; this enables the quicker gear up-shift in a more optimum way. In fact, sometimes, he felt as if the vehicle is driven with the half clutch.

2. He is planning to do TCM/PCM updates. Is it safe to go ahead with these updates? He is worried that it should not call for some other new surprises, as mentioned by Parameshwaran [Post (Ford Endeavour : Official Review)].

3. Sometimes, he is also experiencing extra tappet sound/knocking, which goes away after restarting the car 2-3 times. Is it normal and he need not bother unless some warning symbol comes, or whether he should get it checked at service centre?

Mod Note : Endy = Endeavour.

Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 28th October 2020 at 22:30. Reason: Mod note attached.
KSingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:27   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSingh View Post
He needs a feedback/suggestion for the following concerns in his car
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes -

1. Transmission slipping is a classic sign of the failure of the transmission. Hopefully it’s only a simple fix (like the transmission module) & not an expensive repair like in this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...not-india.html (Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!)

2. No idea (is there any documented benefit of performing the update?)

3. It is not normal for a 2 yr old vehicle which has barely run 22,500kms!

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2020 at 07:28. Reason: Let's not jump the gun here - stick to factual comments
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 22:24   #4312
BHPian

I have a 2016 March 3.2L model with about 32K kilometres on it. Absolutely love it, more than 4.5 years, still feels like a brand new car. Since it was from initial few batches, there were a few niggles early on like the headlight focus issue fixed under warranty. Also the front bumper has a slight bit of gap compared to later productions. Only one item still bothers me, the horn plate is not very responsive when pressing at some points. Got it replaced under warranty, still same issue. Kind of living with it, not a bad situation. Don't know if anyone else have faced this issue?
Old 29th October 2020, 11:19   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Request long-term Endeavour owners to comment on the reliability aspect of the car, this being the "supposed" upper hand that Toyota Fortuner has over the Endeavour.
I own a Feb 2016, Trend 3.2 Endeavour. Odo is at 61k now. A few observations -
1. Brake pads wear out a bit faster than you would expect. Average life, after having interacted with several other 2016+ Endeavour owners, is about 20~25k kms. But there have been instances where some owners have replaced their first set after more than 50k kms.

2. Service cost is negligible, really. For a car that costs upwards of 40 lakhs on road, an average service cost of about 7k~10k/year or every 10000 kms, is really good.

3. There have been issues specific to the Titanium models. Headlamp auto leveller issue, for instance. Mine, being a Trend, has had absolutely no such issues.

4. The only part that 'failed' in 60000 kms was the exhaust gas temperature sensor. Although I had a drive train error warning in my instrument cluster, the car did not go into a limp home mode or just sit on the side of the road. I always have an OBD2 scanner in the car and after checking the error, drove the car safely to the work shop. The part is usually changed under warranty. I had run out of warranty and it cost me 7.5k to replace. That was my only unscheduled visit to the ASC in 4.5 years of ownership.

5. Battery in the BSIV models is a puny 60 Amp unit which gives up pretty fast (average of 3 years). The BSVI model comes with a more reasonable (I would still call it puny) 75Ah battery.

Quote:
There seems to be a continuous clicking noise coming from behind the center console behind the AC buttons. It stops when I start the car and the AC starts blowing.

I feel some resistance just before the last half turn of the steering wheel. Any ideas what could be wrong.
Problem number one is a very well known issue, sir. It is the flap motor for the AC fresh air intake. If you are still under warranty, insist that the ASC replaces the part free of cost. Else, I think it costs about 7k to replace.

Problem number 2 will need further investigation. Are you running upsized tyres? If it is bothering you, please get it checked at the ASC.

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
1. Quite often, the gear transmission is not optimum, mainly while driving uphill and during overtakes. He manages by using cruise control; this enables the quicker gear up-shift in a more optimum way. In fact, sometimes, he felt as if the vehicle is driven with the half clutch.

2. He is planning to do TCM/PCM updates. Is it safe to go ahead with these updates?

3. Sometimes, he is also experiencing extra tappet sound/knocking, which goes away after restarting the car 2-3 times.
1. The Endeavour has a torque converter gearbox. The vehicle, being a heavy SUV, and not a tarmac scorcher, say like a BMW would be, has not been tuned for aggressive shifts and is a slower shifting unit. It takes a while to 'lock up' after each shift. In effect, you feel a slight lethargy when you floor it - takes a while to down shift and lock up again. Most of us owners have learnt to live with it and now find absolutely no issues and have learnt to drive with this in mind.

I don't see any connection between cruise control and gear shifts. In the hills, you have more control when you drive in manual mode. I always shift to S and then shift manually in the hills.

2. It is true that some issues have cropped up after updates. But it is more because of lack of due diligence from the service centre. Some updates are crucial for proper functioning of the car. It is better to check for updates during your scheduled service. I would assume that Ford wouldn't be stupid enough to give wrong updates to the car. It is up to the ASC to check properly to ensure the update applies to your vehicle and that their IDS version is also running the latest update.

3. It would be difficult to diagnose an issue based on a 'sound' described in words. If it is bothering him, he should get it checked at the ASC.

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2020 at 07:28. Reason: Quoted post edited (lemon)
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 11:43   #4314
Distinguished - BHPian

To all Endeavour owners,

Has anyone faced broken door pull handle, used to open the door from inside? Has anyone sourced or replaced it and what was the cost?

The LHS one broke on my uncle's car. The dealer wants to replace the whole door panel and has quoted some obscene amount.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20201023wa0034.jpg
Old 29th October 2020, 11:50   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
To all Endeavour owners,

Has anyone faced broken door pull handle, used to open the door from inside? Has anyone sourced or replaced it and what was the cost?

The LHS one broke on my uncle's car. The dealer wants to replace the whole door panel and has quoted some obscene amount.
I haven't seen the endeavour pull handle but I think this is the part available on boodmo.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-eb3b...3zhe-36606031/
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 11:55   #4316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
I haven't seen the endeavour pull handle but I think this is the part available on boodmo.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-eb3b...3zhe-36606031/
Thanks! I had already looked at this part. However this is for the Trend variant, non-chrome type. I was looking for the smoked chrome type for the Titanium variant which is not available on Boodmo.
Old 29th October 2020, 13:13   #4317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Thanks! I had already looked at this part. However this is for the Trend variant, non-chrome type. I was looking for the smoked chrome type for the Titanium variant which is not available on Boodmo.
I think you should check with this part number at the ASC as it's not available at boodmo and it matches the description given by you and is similar to the base model one.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screenshot_20201029131036_chrome.jpg

If you'd like I can check at kashmere gate from where I buy my spare parts, though it might take some time as I have shifted from Delhi.

Last edited by revvharder : 29th October 2020 at 13:15.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 09:30   #4318
BHPian

I have a May 2016 3.2 Titanium Endeavour, Sunset Red. Absolutely love it. It's done about 98,000 kms and is going in for its second tyre change. First happened at around 51k, stuck to the MRF then and this time I'm going in for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/60 R18.
The vehicle has caused a good number of heartaches and heartburns including horn plate issue (changed under warranty - seems fine after that), knocking sound behind the dashboard (initially I thought it was a rat scare and scoured as much as I could, but then it's probably some part cooling off after the ignition is turned off), the lug nuts getting swollen and the spanner head not fixing in them ( almost got stuck at 14500 feet because of that - interacted with Ford and forced them to at least give extended warranty for 4th and 5th year).
But I still maintain that it has been the best decision ever to go for the Titanium.
Everyone please either change the lug nuts to simple steel ones or check with the spanner everytime you go for a long trip, I had faced a harrowing time in Spiti because of this issue.
Hellzboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:33   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
1. The Endeavour has a torque converter gearbox. It takes a while to 'lock up' after each shift. In effect, you feel a slight lethargy when you floor it - takes a while to down shift and lock up again.
Thanks a lot, @Scorpion...
Actually, my friend was a bit concerned about such lethargic gear upshifts. You have exactly understood the issue.

Quote:
I don't see any connection between cruise control and gear shifts.
His main concern is that gear upshifts are happening around 2200 rpm; on the other hand, when he uses cruise control, the gear upshifts happen within 2000 rpm. This issue is predominant in lower gears (1-3).

Quote:
2. It is true that some issues have cropped up after updates. But it is more because of lack of due diligence from the service centre. Some updates are crucial for proper functioning of the car.
Anyways based on team-bhp member's suggestions, he has done the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) update this weekend and there was a noticeable difference (improvement) in gear upshifts. Surprisingly the TCM (transmission control module) update was already the latest one in his vehicle. But somehow, he still feels the gears are not getting properly engaged while overtaking and going uphills.

There are two more issues for which he needs suggestions from this forum.

Issue-1: He is always getting the ac water leaked from the rear right area just above the tyre, as shown in the images. Whether this amount of water in just 20 mins is normal? The entire region above the tyre remains wet all the time.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20201030_173045.jpgFord Endeavour : Official Review-img_20201030_173032.jpg

Issue-2: The day before yesterday, he got a burglar alarm multiple times. He is suspecting; this may be because of the dashboard clicking sound. After leaving the vehicle locked in "reduced guard" mode, the alarm did not come. In fact, I also heard that sound, it was like some mouse was trapped inside. But had it been the mouse, it would have silenced after some knocking/tapping done by us, but it didn't. This forum well reports this issue, so he is currently planning not to do anything and live with reduced alarm.

Last edited by KSingh : 2nd November 2020 at 15:43.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:09   #4320
BHPian

Quote:
His main concern is that gear upshifts are happening around 2200 rpm; on the other hand, when he uses cruise control, the gear upshifts happen within 2000 rpm. This issue is predominant in lower gears (1-3).
Cruise control is not usually engaged in the lower gears, sir. I have a feeling your friend is confusing cruise control with something else.
Quote:
But somehow, he still feels the gears are not getting properly engaged while overtaking and going uphills.
Please ask your friend to drive another Endeavour, if possible, and see if he feels the same way. If so, may be he needs to adapt the way he drives his car, or let us say, adapt to the way the gearbox operates in the Endeavour. If he feels the other car is better, then he needs to get his car checked.
Quote:
Whether this amount of water in just 20 mins is normal? The entire region above the tyre remains wet all the time.
Absolutely normal especially when there is more moisture in the air. NE monsoon is in the air.
Quote:
This forum well reports this issue, so he is currently planning not to do anything and live with reduced alarm.
There has been no reported mal functioning of the motion sensors that I am aware of. Neither here, nor among more than 450 other Endeavour owners whom I am in touch with. But yes, one thing we know is that it is sensitive enough to trigger an alarm if something as small as a mouse or a rat moves inside the car. It has happened to other owners. Rats can enter the cabin through the AC fresh air intake. Please ask your friend to check for signs of rat entry inside the cabin and in the engine bay.

Regarding the noise from the flap motor, the problem lies in the possibility that the flap does not close properly and it keeps moving trying to close. This consumes power. If the car is used regularly, the battery should be alright. But if not used, there are chances that it can drain the battery completely. So I would suggest that the car be taken to the ASC to sort out the issue. And when he is there, he can also try and get his GB shifting concerns addressed.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks