Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 13:12   #4456
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Your tires look good for another 10K atleast, in which case good to get balancing done too.
Looks are deceptive, rubber has hardened and there are some fraying on the sides, so have decided to get them replaced before next highway outing. Issue is availability, only MRF and Ceat available for this size, hopefully things will open up and we will get some more better options for road tyres in stock size. Yes they are balanced every time when we go for alignment.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:36   #4457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just wanted to know if anyone else has observed this on their vehicle? All 4 wheels have the same pattern and with varying severity due to the rotations, but I felt it is the front axles that causes this wear to begin with.
I would suggest the following:

1) Change your tyres. I recently changed my tyres to Apollo Apterra AT2 and very satisfied with it. Coopers are the best for onroad and offroad use, but currently not available in India, as imports are poor now.

2) Get your wheel alignment done from a good reputed place with latest Hunter machine, which can align all four wheels.

3) Don't oversize tyres eg. 285, unless you change your rims also. Oversized tyres on original Ford alloys also cause uneven wear.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:10   #4458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
2) Get your wheel alignment done from a good reputed place with latest Hunter machine, which can align all four wheels.

3) Don't oversize tyres eg. 285, unless you change your rims also. Oversized tyres on original Ford alloys also cause uneven wear.
He said Madhus right - that’s bhpian Nikhilb’s tyre store in Bangalore and they are the leading distributor of Hunter equipment (+ a major Michelin dealer) in South India.

The 285 tyre at least provides a rather better ride quality I must say. Worth a try especially as the cheaper stuff like MRF and Apollo in stock sizes doesn’t last very long either.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 17:16   #4459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The 285 tyre at least provides a rather better ride quality I must say. Worth a try especially as the cheaper stuff like MRF and Apollo in stock sizes doesn’t last very long either.
285 on stock Ford alloys is not a good combination. There are many reported cases of uneven wear of tyres and the tyres bulging out. I'm very happy with Apollo Apterra AT2 on stock size, although I wanted Coopers.
Old 27th August 2021, 18:27   #4460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
285 on stock Ford alloys is not a good combination. There are many reported cases of uneven wear of tyres and the tyres bulging out. I'm very happy with Apollo Apterra AT2 on stock size, although I wanted Coopers.
Same experience with Michelins as well? What was the alloy recommendation by the way (what PCD etc) to take 285s?
Old 27th August 2021, 18:39   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same experience with Michelins as well? What was the alloy recommendation by the way (what PCD etc) to take 285s?
There is nothing to do with the brand of a tyre. Michelin is anyway a soft compound.

PCD for the Endeavour will remain the same - 6 x 139.7. Its the offset (negative or positive) available in different alloys, that usually make the difference.
The point is that 285 mm. size tyres on alloys designed for 265 mm., make the tyres bulge out. So to compensate for that you have to overfill to reduce the bulge.

There is a reason that every manufacturer offers a standard size of tyre and wheel rim on a particular car. That’s because the car’s wheel and tyre sizes have been chosen to balance between the performance dynamics, fuel efficiency, ride and handling. So if you change from the standard size, one or all of these qualities will change.

The wider tyres with more traction might reduce the car’s top speed. Acceleration might be affected due to the increase in weight and greater traction. This will affect the vehicle’s fuel economy.

If you prefer lighter steering, think twice since you’ll need to put in more steering effort. Also, remember that your speedometer and odometer will not read correctly.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 07:32   #4462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PCD for the Endeavour will remain the same - 6 x 139.7. Its the offset (negative or positive) available in different alloys, that usually make the difference.

If you prefer lighter steering, think twice since you’ll need to put in more steering effort. Also, remember that your speedometer and odometer will not read correctly.
OK, what is the offset you recommend then? I haven't seen any perceptible ride and handling difference, and a 265 vs 285 section is barely 3% in terms of difference. So when I keep the speedometer pegged at 100 I'm clocked at 102 by a cop eager to make tickets.
Old 28th August 2021, 08:30   #4463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The point is that 285 mm. size tyres on alloys designed for 265 mm., make the tyres bulge out. So to compensate for that you have to overfill to reduce the bulge.
I have used 285 on endeavour and had no issues. No bulges or anything different. Never filled any different from recommended too as the unit is PSI.

Caveat- I removed these in less than 1000 Kms for entirely different reasons, so don’t have any long term feedback. If you have from any first hand known, please do update here so others can take informed decision.

Quote:
There is a reason that every manufacturer offers a standard size of tyre and wheel rim on a particular car.
Yes, but the same car can have different sizes based on the variant or even country where it’s sold. Everest in Australia comes with options from size 17 -20 if I recollect.

Quote:
If you prefer lighter steering, think twice since you’ll need to put in more steering effort.
Not on Endeavour surely, I don’t think I noticed anything different. With Electric/ Hydraulics small upsize should not matter.

Quote:
OK, what is the offset you recommend then?
As mentioned by ruzbe before, you should not worry about PCD unless you are also changing the alloys. If that’s the case, buy one that matches the original PCD and don’t get spacers. But for 285, I will stick with original rims unless there’s any other reasons for looks or damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-5442336e42e64f0c8b24a55b3d4f868f.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th August 2021 at 08:40.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 10:47   #4464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have a query on the alignment and tyre wear, our Endeavour has done 56000 kms on the original MRF wanderer. But one thing I notice is the tyre wear on the insides. The vehicle is regularly aligned at Madhu's and readings always has been within spec, with only very minor toe correction that was needed.
If you suspect something is off with the wheel alignment, talk to Rajesh at Vijay wheel alignment JP Nagar, his technicians should be able to diagnose and fix it. Stock wanderers are done by this mileage, may as well replace it.

Inside shoulder wear can be a camber out of spec, generally ignored by alignment shops as depending on the model of vehicle it may need shims installed after removing the suspension control arms.
Old 28th August 2021, 14:12   #4465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have used 285 on endeavour and had no issues. No bulges or anything different. Never filled any different from recommended too as the unit is PSI.
Is 285 the max width the stock Endeavour tires can take? I recall one of the technician from Ford recommending 265 or 275 but can take upto 285 though he did not recommend. Similarly in Innova I have seen few guys go upto 235 on stock 16 inch alloys, though I think recommended is 215. I am guessing going beyond recommended might impact suspension in longer run but the body on frames are built to take the abuse and may handle the extra load.
Old 28th August 2021, 17:11   #4466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is 285 the max width the stock Endeavour tires can take? I recall one of the technician from Ford recommending 265 or 275 but can take upto 285 though he did not recommend. Similarly in Innova I have seen few guys go upto 235 on stock 16 inch alloys, though I think recommended is 215. I am guessing going beyond recommended might impact suspension in longer run but the body on frames are built to take the abuse and may handle the extra load.
You will surely need to update the tyre pressure (and maybe experiment) to find the ideal pressure for a smooth ride when you upsize tyres. I've found that 32 on all tyres seems to be ideal instead of 30 on all tyres for normal load on a 265 tyre
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 06:49   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
OK, what is the offset you recommend then? I haven't seen any perceptible ride and handling difference, and a 265 vs 285 section is barely 3% in terms of difference. So when I keep the speedometer pegged at 100 I'm clocked at 102 by a cop eager to make tickets.
I am not sure if anyone noticed this, but when you are at 100 as per the speedometer, the actual speed is 5% less i.e. 95
Therefore, difference of 3% will still keep it less than reported by the speedometer.
GKG4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 07:37   #4468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKG4 View Post
I am not sure if anyone noticed this, but when you are at 100 as per the speedometer, the actual speed is 5% less i.e. 95
Therefore, difference of 3% will still keep it less than reported by the speedometer.
That is a deliberate safety margin. But other than that there is extra speed from a downward sloping road, wind at your back etc (ok wind is not as much of a factor in an endeavour)
Old 29th August 2021, 09:49   #4469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is 285 the max width the stock Endeavour tires can take?
I think people have even fitted wider in Australia. I used to check Everest forums and some guys have posted pictures. Don't recollect the exact size.

Quote:
You will surely need to update the tyre pressure
PSI from wiki- It is the pressure resulting from a force of one pound-force applied to an area of one square inch.

If we increase the area, the volume of air getting filled will be more than a smaller size but we don't need to change the PSI. A simple example can be a comparison of a bicycle or scooter tyre with a larger Car or Truck tyre. To achieve 30 psi in a smaller tyre, we will need much less air to fill than to get the same psi on a larger truck. ( Hope I am correct as usually, am not good with these things, so please correct if my understanding is wrong )

I agree with experimenting, usually, a small drop adds to the comfort.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th August 2021 at 09:54.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 13:02   #4470
Senior - BHPian

For existing Ford Endeavour owners.

Ford is offering 10% discount on extended warranty valid till 31st August. You can buy it now for future, even if your extended warranty extension is not due now. For Endeavour, the extended warranty is upto 6 years and 1 lakh or 1.5 lakh kilometres, depending on what you buy.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 29th August 2021 at 13:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks