Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2023, 11:50   #1411

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Recently my Kodiaq met an accident & even on zero dep insurance from Skoda [GoDigit], I was told by Brite Skoda, Noida that "Salvage Charges" of upto 5% of total claimed amount has to be borne by customer. I heard this for the first time & as per I know, salvage parts [damaged parts] are undertaken by the insurance company to sell later on in scrap market to even off their financial burden of claim. Seems they now force sell salvage to owner only.

What was your experience in claim?
I recently got my Superb L&K repaired at Mody Škoda, Hyderabad. The front bumper was damaged along with few other parts, including the left side fog lamp the total cost of repair was around INR 88,500/- and I had to pay around INR 2,500/- from my pocket. I have a zero dip insurance from "United India". I did not ask what that amount was for though.

I will share my experience of this repair in details as none of the service center in Hyderabad has a tie up with the "United India" and I had to get Škoda India intervene to get this claim as cashless.
sgautam31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 12:56   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam31 View Post
I had to pay around INR 2,500/- from my pocket. I have a zero dip insurance from "United India". I did not ask what that amount was for though.

I will share my experience of this repair in details as none of the service center in Hyderabad has a tie up with the "United India" and I had to get Škoda India intervene to get this claim as cashless.
That is the file charge for the claim.
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:05   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Hi all,

I am due to take delivery of a new Superb L&K next week. Among other things, one of the questions on the table is upgrading the OEM Apollo tyres to something better like Michelin PS4s.

Looking for feedback on this possible change and any other recommendations. I prioritize performance over tyre life and am ok with tyres lasting about 15-20k kms in return of superior grip.
I have been using the stock Apollo tyres on my Sportline, and have so far found them to be more than adequate for (Very) spirited driving, both on straight highways as well as through the twists and turns of Meghalaya's roads.
On both dry and wet surfaces, grip has so far not been an issue, even when I have had to panic brake from *95-0 ( Thanks to a truck diving down the middle of the wrong lane of a 4 lane highway).
rphukan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:37   #1414

Hi all,

I'd like to share a 1.5-year update for our Superb (Syra) and would also like to share the recent (kind of?) cross-country road trip we did with her.

A quick background:
We had done a Bangalore to Goa road trip in December '21 and a Bangalore to Bhopal road trip with her in mid-2022. (In fact, we did the return leg from Bhopal to Bangalore in a single day at that time, but that's a story for another day!).

Given the love me and my wife had for Syra, we were itching to do another road trip with her in 2023. So when 2 marriage invitations came in for mid-February, we figured it was the best opportunity for us to turn it into a long-ish road trip.

Preparation for the trip:
I like to travel prepared. I had noticed a couple of weeks back that I was feeling some vibrations at high speed so took a trip to Madhus Tyre Centre to get the tires rotated and wheel alignment and balancing done.
Did a small highway drive post that and all was good.

Now coming to the trip, it was Bangalore > Bhopal > Bharatpur > Bhopal > Agra > Bhopal > Bangalore. We split our Bangalore to Bhopal trip in 2 with an overnight stop in Nagpur and on the return leg, the overnight stop was in Hyderabad.
In a span of 21 days, we covered a total of 5590 KMs with a drive time of 88 hours and 56 minutes.

Overall, the drive was fantastic! I am super impressed by the roads and the national highways all throughout the route we drove on. Except for some cattle here and there through MP, it was a pleasant drive!
The Superb held up really well and it was a sheer pleasure in driving her. The confidence that this car gives on a long journey is unparalleled. I did not face any issues in the car apart from one of the water spray lines on the left nozzle getting blocked. Will need to get it cleaned soon!
The fact that I'm mentioning this as an issue in the overall drive is I guess a testament to the overall build quality and driving pleasure that the Superb gives.

Some pics from the drive:

The long-term trip stats when we reached back home:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230225_184422.jpg

A small break en route Hyderabad from Bangalore:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230204_071034.jpg

Trip Stats when we reached Nagpur on the first day:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230204_202159.jpg

Small pitstop en route Bhopal the next day:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230205_093148.jpg

I've got a couple of other pics of the trip stats too, but I think I'll refrain from spamming with those.

Overall, it's been a fabulous 1.5 years with Syra and if I were to do it again, I'd take the same decision over and over!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 7th March 2023 at 19:02. Reason: Two smileys/post
aNerdyCarGuy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 00:15   #1415

I got my Skoda Superb in early Jan 2023 and did my first long distance drive from Pune to Bengaluru and back over the weekends. Drove there in regular drive mode (12.7 average with spirited driving across 870kms including city traffic on either side). Drove back in sports mode on the highways and lost 1km/l and had way more fun. I don't think I'm ever going back to regular mode on the highways

Overall, I found the drive very comfortable. The cooled seats made the drive easier in the afternoon. Figured out some sound tweaks to make the music sound better (subwoofer needed to be turned up).

Still sorting out some usability issues with answering calls while driving (Swift Dzire's dedicated button has spoiled me). This car begs to be taken out on the highway and I can't wait till I find my next reason for a long drive (there's one tomorrow and another one on the weekend)!

The car recommends 95 octane petrol that is E5 or E10. None of the pumps in India that I've been to provide specifications on the kind of fuel they are providing. What kind of fuels are you filling?
Old 22nd March 2023, 00:38   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatarz View Post

Still sorting out some usability issues with answering calls while driving (Swift Dzire's dedicated button has spoiled me). This car begs to be taken out on the highway and I can't wait till I find my next reason for a long drive (there's one tomorrow and another one on the weekend)!

The car recommends 95 octane petrol that is E5 or E10. None of the pumps in India that I've been to provide specifications on the kind of fuel they are providing. What kind of fuels are you filling?
Congrats on your steed! Yes, Sports mode is very addictive and hard to go back to zen mode after tasting adrenaline.
As for fuel, IOC's XP95 does seem to do well for the car.

As for the dedicated answer button, once you configure it on your main MID, you can use the right side rotary controller to answer the call. It happens quite easily.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2023 at 08:48. Reason: Editing out reference to WhatsApp groups
roadwarrior is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 08:33   #1417

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
As for fuel, IOC's XP95 does seem to do well for the car.
Newbie question: IOC = Indian Oil Company, right? I’ve been a shell fanboy for a while now. I’ll try out XP95 and see how that goes.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2023 at 08:47. Reason: Editing out reference to WhatsApp groups
Old 9th April 2023, 08:07   #1418

I tried out XP95 and the car feels a tad better to drive. Found it on the expressway on the way to Mumbai. I just need to find it at a pump close to me now
Old 16th April 2023, 12:13   #1419
BHPian

XP95 is 12% ethanol and power95 is upto 20% ethanol. You might want to use your discretion.
Old 16th April 2023, 14:44   #1420
BHPian

Is the Superb BS 6.2 compatible? It still seems to be sold while the Octavia which used the same power train has been discontinued. Can someone shed light on this please.
Old 16th April 2023, 16:32   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Is the Superb BS 6.2 compatible? It still seems to be sold while the Octavia which used the same power train has been discontinued. Can someone shed light on this please.
Neither are but the 6.2 norms stipulate that only vehicles manufactured after 1 April 2023 have to be compliant. There is no deadline of registration date unlike the BS4 to BS6 regime change. It is probably only a matter of inventory with dealers rather than anything else; Octavia is a faster seller compared to the Superb.

The only Skoda vehicles compliant with 6.2 are the Kushaq, Slavia & Kodiaq manufactured after relevant specified dates for each model.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:26   #1422

The first breakdown experience in my B8

What's all fun if things go smooth all day. So finally after running nearly 27,000 Km in a year and being best man at my wedding. Superb failed to start all of a sudden yesterday morning. I drive from my in-laws place(around 70 km) , went inside the house for 20 mins and when i cranked it again I was greeted with fireworks lighting in instrument cluster and resistance from Brakes. Contacted my SA immediately and he found out it was due to the battery issue. And suggested calling RSA. Skoda India has now tied up now with Europ Assistance India for RSA. RSA helpline was pretty helpful and technician reached my home with jump start instruments within stipulated time (90 mins). We were able to jump start the car. But when after on and jump starting the car it failed to crank again. We figured the issue to be with jump start battery and with help of local battery dealer the car started all good. Initially i suspected issue to be with Alternator as like conventional cars with voltmeter plugged in on pressing the accelerator input wasn't increasing.

Folks at SGA Skoda suggested I can either drive the car or if I am not confident they are happy to send a recovery van. Decided to drive down to service station at coimbatore which is around 45 km from my home.
SA and technician were ready to receive the vehicle. OBD and battery test was done.
Alternator diagnostics was run and it did not throw any errors. Battery test showed recharge status meaning battery is not on a good state. And I asked questions about alternator and I came to know about something called Smart Alternators it was a news to me.

The reason why the voltmeter reading is same is apparently the vehicle is Smart Alternator where charging is controlled by ECU.
It was done to comply with emission norms and engine is charged on demand and when foot is let off the accelerator. In that time voltage from alternator spikes up fast and does fast charge of battery. During acceleration the ECU can effectively turn off the alternator, and this means the vehicle has more power as the alternator bears no load on the engine, and on overrun the alternator can be allowed to overcharge as this does not affect vehicle performance.

The Battery is being replaced under the warranty and SA has confirmed vehicle will be handed over today.

New thing what i figured out in Skoda Service this time once required repairs are found customers get a mail/sms with details of work and cost for the same. Only after customer has approved for the same digitally is work carried out.
Skoda Superb : Official Review-screenshot-20230418-2.22.31-pm.png
One thing we are yet to figure out is how Battery conked of all of a sudden without showing any warning after it is run regularly and immediately right after one hour of driving.
sudhir_vag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 23:26   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
XP95 is 12% ethanol and power95 is upto 20% ethanol. You might want to use your discretion.
All MS( motor spirit) aka petrol supplies in delhi NCR as on date across psu oil co's, are 12% ethanol blend.
Old 19th April 2023, 11:02   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir_vag View Post
[b][i][u]One thing we are yet to figure out is how Battery conked of all of a sudden without showing any warning after it is run regularly and immediately right after one hour of driving.
Surprised VAG has still not managed to fix this silly issue! It has been endemic in Skoda and VW for so many years now. The silly thing gives some subtle hints like a few flickering warning icons, random error messages, a little hesitation while cranking, and then KABOOM!

Just as you go out with your full family in your majestic vehicle for that long awaited event, it simply refuses to start usually in front of bemused extended family and friends.

Just search for "dead battery vw skoda" in TBHP itself. The supremely irritating thing is that Skoda at least had a inbuilt hack to capture the State of Charge (SoC) from the infotainment unit, BUT did away with it in a early firmware update
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:59   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
All MS( motor spirit) aka petrol supplies in delhi NCR as on date across psu oil co's, are 12% ethanol blend.
Oh . I asked specifically for XP and premium fuels on their respective twitter handles and shared the gist of their reply.

Since you are in this business (IIRC from your very old posts), do you know what is the "inside" buzz regarding high ethanol content effect on older cars is going to be? Like, you ever had a word with the territory manager, or the regional head regarding what the oil company findings were, on using higher ethanol on older engines??? Please enlighten us; you will do the community a great favor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks