Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2016, 18:40   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Finally saw the BR-V at leisure in the flesh at a popular mall.

Admittedly, the deal offered is pretty sweet - 1 lac exchange bonus + Free Insurance + "Some more for sure". I've asked for a Test-Drive.
Ha Ha, this was expected isn't it ?

Good car, but poorly priced.

I would rather wait now (Year End), and hunt for this car at a discounted price next year. That should make the deal even sweeter. Apart from this 100k exchange bonus + Free Insurance, Honda would be throwing 20-30k cash discount along with some other offers (Corporate Discount/Loyalty Bonus etc) .

The Mobilio has already thought them the lesson, now it's BR-V's Turn. If the Mobilio & BR-V were like humans, thier conversation would be like this

Mobilio - Hey, you are very lucky man, they have done well to differentiate you. Also, you look nice inside then me, you have more assets (Features) then me. So you will do well, best of luck.

BR-V - Oh No, I am sorry man, I was well prepared, ready to impress. I had everything that one would like me for, also I made sure I am distinctive by having additional land (3rd Row) compared to rivals, but my Boss completely messed with me. Now, my future looks Bleak. God Help Me. Is there anyway I can get out from here ?

God - Dear Mobilio, you are good but become more attractive by doing workouts, get a facial treatment & have a healthy diet. This will help you.

Dear BR-V, you have done most of the things right, but it's ultimately the Boss who will be deciding your fate. It's up to him buddy, I can't help much. Good Luck.

End of the Script.

So, now both are suffering from same disease (Poor Sales), only thier Boss would know how to get them back (Price Cut?).

Last edited by CarguyNish : 10th December 2016 at 18:46.
CarguyNish is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 23:01   #647
BHPian

I am surprised that despite dipping sales of BRV, Honda is not offering any major discounts yet or correcting its price.

Honda Assure at Re 1 and free accessory worth INR 36,000 is all they are offering. Wonder what this accessory includes.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv.png

Wonder if any update in interiors like touchscreen infotainment with reverse camera is on the card soon without any further increase in price
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 19:46   #648
Team-BHP Support

Other than Maruti Versa/Eeco, I don't think any flop model has become successful after a price cut. Which actually proves that if a particular model has not done well, price is unlikely to be the reason for its failure.

Looks like BRV failed because the product did not meet "market expectations". This is what suit boot waley (VP Marketing types) would say. Normal folk will say BRV failed because -

- It does not look like SUV
- It looks like Mobilio
- It does not have touchscreen HU and reversing camera
- It has Amaze's interiors
- It is priced too high (when compared to Ertiga or Brezza/Ecosport).
- Honda salesmen are arrogant, not ready to offer discounts/negotiate etc.

You get the above insights by reading the first 10 pages of this thread. Fixing one issue (price) can only get you so far.

Meanwhile, in BRV land, the much admired manual AC slider knob fell off. Thankfully, its a "snap fit" - so I managed to put it back. Other than that, all is well.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161210_172233_1_p.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 20:12   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looks like BRV failed because
- It does not have touchscreen HU and reversing camera
- Honda salesmen are arrogant, not ready to offer discounts/negotiate etc.
- It is priced too high (when compared to Ertiga or Brezza/Ecosport).
Attachment 1584120
I readily agree with you on the above 3 reasons for the BR-V's failure. Took the liberty to change the order of one reason

The Renault Kwid has spoilt the market by offering a touch-screen at that price point. All vehicles above that price point have to play catch-up or loose out. A vehicle without a touch-screen is a deal breaker in this day and age.

Honda salesmen and their service folk are the ones killing their own careers like slow poison. They are not seeing the writing on the wall. By getting customers to walk away from their brand, they are going to soon have to look for new jobs and if they manage to join a Maruti or a Hyundai, they will get taught a good hard difficult lesson in Customer service. The point I am trying to make is why not voluntarily learn something now rather than have that same thing forced down your throat in the future?

The Brezza killed a lot of cars. Imagine dividing up the numbers that Brezza sells in now amongst its competition, the whole competition would end up looking good. The BR-V should have gone for the Ertiga's jugular, its better than the Ertiga in every respect, from an engineering point of view

For those who bought the BR-V, hoping that Honda repays the trust you have placed in their product and keeps this on the shelf for a long time so that you all have the least amount of hassles with this machine

Last edited by TheARUN : 11th December 2016 at 20:14.
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 20:16   #650
BHPian

I had bought the Ertiga Petrol in December 2015 after checking out the Mobilio. Other than the engine, and slightly better boot space (which I solved in the Ertiga by throwing out the under boot floor storage box) the Mobilio had nothing else going for it.

Drab interiors, slim seats with non adjustable head rests, non sliding middle row seats in the lower variants, too low slung which made entry and exit even in the first and second row difficult, lower height overall to made it seem less spacious and less commanding driver seat.

The pricing which was a lot more than the Ertiga in variant to variant comparison especially with the facelifted one was put in the mix.

So I went in for the Ertiga Zxi+.

A couple of months later the BRV came out and seeing the pictures I was a little sad and had a feeling I had acted in haste by going for the Ertiga without waiting for the BRV.

After the launch (I hadn't seen the BRV in metal yet) one day I was taking a walk near my home and I saw a Mobilio being kitted out with accessories at a car accessories shop. I was approaching the car from behind and the boot was open. Being late in the evening lighting was poor too.
I could see the rear seats, (third row was down) and rear door was open, same low seating, low height and so on...

When I walked past and saw the front of the car I took a double take. It was the BRV. It had all the shortfalls of the Mobilio. Only change was the Dashboard had changed and the front had the SUV look. All else was the same. Low seats same door pads, low height and so on.

And there evaporated all my guilty feeling of not waiting for the BRV

Last edited by Ramon : 11th December 2016 at 20:45.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 00:41   #651
BHPian

I personally think that the BRV should have been a 5-seater hence being shorter in length. With the face it has, the long dimensions just feel so out of place.

I was so elated when I first saw it. From the front. Then the camera moved to show a side view and that got me dejected instantly.

Honda should have had something else for a 7-seater.

I think Honda is constantly trying to adapt to the "cheap" happy Indian buyer and is proving to be a disaster at it. The equations are just not turning up right.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 01:03   #652
BHPian

Not quoting multiple points above but yes -

1. They did most things right except the ICE and the controls

2. The Tumble seats are excellent. There is a lot of space in this car - overall I found it bigger than Creta.

3. You can't rest on your laurels and hop your brand name will help sell. Even Suzuki realized this and continues to improve its fit and finish every year.
Old 12th December 2016, 15:30   #653
Senior - BHPian

The car's quite grown on me - and a test drive of a friend's Mobilio with 8 people in it (2 kids) around a 10 km loop left me with very positive impressions. If it had been priced closer to the Mobilio, would have certainly considered it. As it is, seems a little high. Waiting for a few in the used market in 2017
Old 12th December 2016, 19:42   #654
BHPian

Te be really successful, every car needs certain USP (unique selling proposition) that differentiates it from its competitors. A USP could be thought of as “what you have that competitors don't". And it could be anything, such as Brand Image, VFM Pricing, Reliability, Looks, Performance, Segment-first Features, First of its kind, Desirability, etc.

Among these, the only true USP of the BR-V was its 7-seater capability and sadly Honda banked too much on this.
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 09:56   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Te be really successful, every car needs certain USP (unique selling proposition) that differentiates it from its competitors. A USP could be thought of as "what you have that competitors don't". And it could be anything, such as Brand Image, VFM Pricing, Reliability, Looks, Performance, Segment-first Features, First of its kind, Desirability, etc.

Among these, the only true USP of the BR-V was its 7-seater capability and sadly Honda banked too much on this.
Honda banked on it's so called 'brand image' in the Indian car market & expected people to lap up the Brv. Too bad they forgot that the average Indian buyer today is far more intelligent & understands what's vfm & what's recycled material.

I, personally would never go in for a manufacturer who does not bother to differentiate it's entire car line-up in terms of dashboard design - something very fundamental.

Honda today has zero cars in it's portfolio that's a hot seller. Quality is nothing to write home about as well. If I were in charge of India operations, I would be tensed, very.
Old 13th December 2016, 11:32   #656
BHPian

Agree.
The Ertiga was a successful small 7-seater. Its a shame that Honda couldnt even capture half of Ertiga sales. I know there are some people who feel BR-V is a very superior product and feel offended when compared to Ertiga. But thats what most people will compare it against.

Like I said earlier during launch, there are only so many people who will fall for H badge and the number is running out, fast.
Old 13th December 2016, 20:06   #657

Dear SmartCat,
I am planning to buy Honda BR-V, when asked about navigation and reverse camera. Brigade Honda asked me to buy MyAVN 8080 (from Caska), which is Rs 45,000 (after 10% discount)

I assume it is costly and also may not be the best product!

I know JC Road, has many shops that can fit / offer many products, but wanted to get expert advise, on which product to go with, shop, etc without impacting my warranty. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th December 2016, 20:39   #658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandanegalu View Post
Dear SmartCat,
I am planning to buy Honda BR-V, when asked about navigation and reverse camera. Brigade Honda asked me to buy MyAVN 8080 (from Caska), which is Rs 45,000 (after 10% discount) I assume it is costly and also may not be the best product! I know JC Road, has many shops that can fit / offer many products, but wanted to get expert advise, on which product to go with, shop, etc without impacting my warranty. Please suggest.
Check vikash49's post here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4091105
He was offered a genuine Honda AVN unit worth 50k for 25k.

As damager21 mentioned, there are offers up to Rs. 100,000 on Honda BRV
https://www.hondacarindia.com/offers...Q#car7_section
The above site specifically mentions insurance at Rs. 1 and free accessories worth Rs. 36,000. What is this about?
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 21:45   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think BRV is a great product for someone looking for a 7 seater between Ertiga and Innova.
Agree, I chose BRV because it is between Ertiga and Innova.

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2016 at 22:14. Reason: trimmed quoted post
vandanegalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 21:54   #660
Senior - BHPian

I saw in Mumbai Times that there is an offer of upto 1 lakh off as exchange bonus on the BRV upto 25th December. So the big discounts are already here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks