Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 08:56   #2596

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Morning Guys,

Long time lurker, first-time poster here. Inspired by the posts on this and other Jeep Compass threads here I ended up booking a Jeep, although I was initially considering Ford Ecosport and Harrier.

Booked JEEP COMPASS LIMITED (O) 4X4 2.0D AT in Minimal Grey in July.

The VIN. shared by the sales representative is MCANJRCY1MFA78703*7M.

Based on what I could decode, it seems like the Compass is a July 2021 make. Is there any other information that can be decoded from the VIN?

Also, a big shout out to GTO for his very informative posts and Arun_Josie and Navaneeth for their posts on Jeep Compass.
starhash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:28   #2597
BHPian

Reporting a worrying issue on my Limited plus diesel MT 2019 that has run 32000kms. A planned visit to Deedi Jeep Trivandrum to get front right suspension, which had developed noise on broken roads and persistent misalignment with uneven tyre wear (probably thanks to an encounter with a rogue small height divider few months back) was delayed thanks to covid lockdown in Kerala. Finally since relaxations came around and while i decided to take the car to the ASS, noticed a delay in acceleration and and a sudden drop in pickup between 2-3k rpm when going pedal to metal from low speed especially on the highways. Could reproduce the same fairly often
Visited Deedi today and drove with my regular service associate and he also could reproduce the issue albeit only with a heavy right foot. He confidently says that the issue has to do with early clutch wear and is reported in few compasses whose owners frequently engage half clutch maneuver and asked me not to do it since the car can get a move on in first gear on letting go of the clutch. I am guilty of using half clutch in bumper to bumper traffic in the 2nd gear fairly often but not that frequently. My driving style hasn't led to premature clutch wear in my previous car (Hyundai Eon) which has clocked 65000. The service associate advised to cut down on heavy acceleration so that clutch can last 10-15k kms more.
Its worrying that clutch got worn at this relatively low mileage in an SUV from a manufacture from whom we expect more durability. Inviting your comments.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th August 2021 at 06:43. Reason: Spaced out the post and picture for better readability & visibility. Thanks.
avi@98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:16   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi@98 View Post
Its worrying that clutch got worn at this relatively low mileage in an SUV from a manufacture from whom we expect more durability. Inviting your comments.
While clutch wearing out this early with half clutch driving is not uncommon, surprised this happened with driving in a city like Trivandrum where there is hardly any traffic. But driving half clutch in back to back heavy traffic can wear out clutch even at 25k kms or less.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:38   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
While clutch wearing out this early with half clutch driving is not uncommon, surprised this happened with driving in a city like Trivandrum where there is hardly any traffic. But driving half clutch in back to back heavy traffic can wear out clutch even at 25k kms or less.
I dont use half clutch in an alarming frequency as ive mentioned and have developed the habit of engaging 1st gear earlier than usual in traffic after buying the compass. And yeah hardly any heavy traffic in TRV. Wondering if I'll get it replaced in warranty as I've heard few have done so.
Old 11th August 2021, 06:43   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont use half clutch in an alarming frequency as ive mentioned and have developed the habit of engaging 1st gear earlier than usual in traffic after buying the compass. And yeah hardly any heavy traffic in TRV. Wondering if I'll get it replaced in warranty as I've heard few have done so.
You should push for warranty, but in most of the cases they wouldn’t approve for wear out parts. But even a goodwill warranty or a %age of approval will still be good. Whatever, if you have plans of long drives, I would really suggest to get it changed immediately than driving for another 15k kms as the SA suggested. This can really get you stranded and without warning you can end up in a situation where you cannot engage the gear.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 15:59   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
The clutch burning issue, even when there is not any heavy traffic, is terrible.

It depends on your relationship with the SA or if the senior management from your dealer approves for goodwill warranty.

Were you given any estimates on the replacement amount?

Weren’t the clutch issue resolved in Compass post-2017 models? Was there any official statement from Compass that the clutch issue was fixed?
Old 12th August 2021, 17:30   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post
The clutch burning issue, even when there is not any heavy traffic, is terrible.

It depends on your relationship with the SA or if the senior management from your dealer approves for goodwill warranty.

Were you given any estimates on the replacement amount?

Weren’t the clutch issue resolved in Compass post-2017 models? Was there any official statement from Compass that the clutch issue was fixed?
I'm not aware of any official statement from Jeep. I only came to know about the clutch issue in previous models from this forum. Estimate to replace the clutch was given verbally to be close to 40k + labour. They have refused even partial/goodwill warranty stating the mileage of 32k kms. The SA sounded helpless and insists that the warranty wont be approved. Any tips will be appreciated.

Last edited by avi@98 : 12th August 2021 at 17:31.
Old 12th August 2021, 18:11   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not aware of any official statement from Jeep. I only came to know about the clutch issue in previous models from this forum. Estimate to replace the clutch was given verbally to be close to 40k + labour. They have refused even partial/goodwill warranty stating the mileage of 32k kms. The SA sounded helpless and insists that the warranty wont be approved. Any tips will be appreciated.
Is 40k including flywheel? Else actually it’s on a higher side. For Octavia 2016 TDI, only Clutch costed me 25k

Last edited by sunikkat : 12th August 2021 at 18:12.
Old 12th August 2021, 20:22   #2604
BHPian

Quote:

Was an ‘RCA’ done?

Today I received a call from a senior representative in ‘Stellantis’.

The call was received after I raised concern on the clutch burning issue, rattling noise and battery issues reported over the Facebook Groups for Compass.

The representative informed me that in case of the ‘Clutch burning’ issue, a detailed RCA would be conducted to understand if the clutch burned due to manufacturing issues or bad clutch engagement. If the RCA says that the clutch burned due to manufacturing issues, the warranty will take care of it.

I don’t know how will they diagnose if it was a manufacturing defect or due to the bad driving habits of the driver. I also raised your case as an example, but the answer was that after ‘RCA’ they could conclude.

My advice is to write a mail to manufacturers and express your concerns. Inform them you don’t use the half clutch and use 1st Gear in bumper to bumper traffic, if any.
Jeep.india@fcagroup.com
Service.indiajeep@fcagroup.com
Service.indiajeep@stellantis.com

Follow the below recommendation like
1) Don’t keep your foot on the clutch pedal while driving.
2) Do not rest your hand on the gear shift while driving.
3) Avoid half engagement of the clutch.
4) Drive your vehicle in 1st Gear during bumper to bumper traffic.
5) From a standstill condition, pick up the vehicle in 1st Gear.
Abhisheksinh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 20:41   #2605
Team-BHP Support

The Compass has never been in my radar but the recent interior uplift despite all the talk about the lethargic gearbox had me going to the showroom to check it out. Being a Sunday I only managed to get a short 10 minute odd test drive around slightly unfamiliar suburban roads. The sales team obliged by bringing the car home the following Sunday morning for an extended test drive. Listing down my observations in no order of priority:
  • As others I loved the styling on the inside, it felt like a proper premium vehicle. There was absolutely no killjoy when seeing the interiors in person.
  • The Jeep branding on the black leather in the model S variant look and feel incredibly special and classy.
  • Budget permitting the model S would variant would be my pick if buying a Compass, its got all the spoils of a premium vehicle (great sound system, ventilated seats, etc.) which would make the vehicle seem relevant for a longer period. Add to that the default setting of four wheel drive and traction modes that come with automatic diesel variants and this starts to feel all the car one is ever going to need.
  • The front seats seat have plenty of settings but I could not find one to my comfort, maybe I played around too much with the lumbar support settings.
  • Start moving and the premium feel of the cabin gets drowned out by the industrial engine note which is extremely audible in the cabin (expected much better NVH from the 10 Lac cheaper Harrier).
  • The sunroof had a creaky sound when opening, maybe humidity from the monsoon had gotten the better of the sunroof.
  • The interiors look and feel really nice but unfortunately do not feel built to last.
  • The dirty sunroof was an eye opener on what to expect from a sunroof in our Indian conditions, they look a lot nicer and cleaner when parked in car showrooms
  • The steering and brakes are precise, absolutely no nervousness.
  • The ride is extremely firm and not recommended for anyone with a weak back (such as myself). Being used to sedans the past decade or so I was extremely tired in the 45-60 minutes test drive.
  • Surprisingly (sea of negative impressions available online) the gearbox felt perfect and had nothing wrong about it. The shifts were smooth and once used to the gearbox I could not fault the gearshifts through the extended test drive I took through my daily route to work. Simply put, the automatic gearbox is not a reason to reject or even ignore the Compass. Its as good as any other mass market other gearbox I've driven and most folks will certainly not have a problem with it. Most impressions about the gearbox seem to be from the original tune that first came with the Trailhawk variant which I had not driven.

Last edited by manson : 12th August 2021 at 21:43.
manson is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 01:47   #2606
Team-BHP Support

After Manson drove the Compass diesel AT, he was after me to drive it and see how it is vs the Kodiaq as well as see if my mostly negative perception of the Trailhawk was still applicable.

I called for the Model S AT for a drive today and came away pleasantly impressed with the updated 2021 Compass. I can confidently say that it should be a strong contender for anyone looking at the 35L - 40L space.

- Firstly the interiors are a huge step up from the older car. Much better design that feels a step up and somewhat justifies the premium price it commands. But all is not perfect. The plastics are soft but plenty of lower quality stuff like the piano black and plasticky vents. The indicator stalks feel in operation like they are from a Maruti Alto. Pathetic feel and action.

- The seats are nice but the lumbar adjust is so strange. I tried so much to reduce the lumbar but in whatever setting I tried, the lumbar was more than what I was comfortable with for my back. Manson reported the same and this was a bummer for me.

- Alpine audio sounds better than even my Kodiaq. The bass and vocals are brilliant.

Driving:

- Straight off the bat I can tell you that the ZF9 is no longer a deal breaker that it was in the trail hawk and in the earlier version. The gearbox tuning is far far better than before and I would go so far as to say as good as any torque converter box. The DSG is faster but much more jerky than this ZF9. The gearbox also doesn't hesitate as much to downshift and seems to be in right gear almost always. I never felt it was not in the right gear and was out of the power band. I missed the sports mode but for everyday driving it is acceptable. I don't expect anyone to have an issue with this gearbox anymore. Infact in town this is better than the Kodiaq's DSG. It's only out on the highway that the Kodiaq's DSG shows its superiority.

- The steering is well weighted and far from Hyundai light. Infact it is much more heavier than the Kodiaq.

- Ride is proper firm especially the 18 inchers on the Model S. The compass is not a plush riding SUV. In comparison my Kodiaq feels like it has air suspension. At slow speeds especially, the Compass jiggles around the passengers a lot. This could be a deal breaker for those looking at a plush riding SUV.

- The NVH of the 2.0L is not great. It is un-befitting a 36L SUV. You can constantly hear the diesel drone throughout the rev range.

Overall the Compass is a good package and now with the 2021 updates selling well and rightly so. They have addressed almost every deal breaker it had before except the price has only gone up. For me it still feels a notch down from the Kodiaq and nowhere near as luxurious as the Skoda. The Skoda is just too far ahead in premium feel than the Compass.The Jeep on the other hand feels a lot more rugged. Where the Kodiaq is like a perfect khakhi trouser, the Jeep is like a pair of cargo pants.

Currently no discounts in Bangalore and it is priced at 36.5L on road with a 1.5 - 2 months waiting period. Apparently the techno green has the highest 2 months waiting period.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th August 2021 at 10:09.
Vid6639 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 02:03   #2607
BHPian

Unable to find a perfect upgrade for our Elantra, we thought to give Compass a look. We test drove the S Awd diesel auto variant and came back impressed.

I felt that the Interior is of extremely high quality, though it lacks seriously in both rear and boot space (compared to our fluidic Elantra). The aluminium trim cutting through the dash tends to reflect sunlight while driving. In some light conditions, the Willy Jeep Easter egg gets reflected from the windscreen on the dashboard and it makes driving experience special. Ambient lightning is for namesake only. Handling is car like with very little but controlled body roll. Steering feedback is a tad higher for my liking.

Sales Associate took us to an under construction area with rough road and the compass handled them beautifully. We tried the ‘sand mode’ and we’re astonished by the Jeep’s capability. It just eats up the bad roads for breakfast. Gearbox has a learning curve and the suggestion is to hold the accelerator for half a second as a signal for upshift. Pedal to metal will mean at least a second and half delay in downshift. The presence of paddle shifters and a sport mode for gearbox and engine was sorely missed. Pick up felt slower than my Elantra 1.8 and the gearbox tends to rev the engine high, brings harsh engine noise inside the cabin.

The car has more features than Creta/Hector in top variant (loved the power boot and front passenger seat), except for rear windows sunshades, driving modes and air purifier. The grey paint on S variant’s A pilllar is unique and the Granite finish black Jeep logos on the front and rear look cool.

Space - Price ratio is a big deal breaker for us and for now, we are looking forward to the upcoming Meridian/Commander along with Kodiaq and Tiguan.

Final comment from my side is that the Jeep Compass feels a notch higher as a product offering compared to Creta and Seltos but the variants that really makes the car special are overpriced by atleast 2 lacs. Since India serves as production hub for RHD Compass, I suspect that the localization would be very high and therefore, Jeep could have priced the car way more attractively and sensibly.

Diesel S Awd on-road Lucknow : 33.25 lacs (without discounts)

Last edited by AMG1 : 13th August 2021 at 02:32. Reason: Additional info
AMG1 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:42   #2608
BHPian

Thanks mods/support for the heads up on the diesel S Compass.
I too am on the look out for an upgrade to my Ecosport Ecoboost and the initial feeling the only true upgrade appears to be the Compass albeit at a hefty premium.
Petrol would be my engine of choice as my running would be quite limited and an auto tran. There aren't any impressions on the facelift petrol auto and it would be nice if we could have one.....thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:52   #2609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After Manson drove the Compass diesel AT, he was after me to drive it and see how it is vs the Kodiaq as well as see if my mostly negative perception of the Trailhawk was still applicable.
Have you test driven the Citroen C5?
How does it fair in comparison with the Kodiaq/compass and others in 30-35L price bracket?
Old 13th August 2021, 14:46   #2610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I called for the Model S AT for a drive today and came away pleasantly impressed with the updated 2021 Compass. I can confidently say that it should be a strong contender for anyone looking at the 35L - 40L space.
Good to see team-bhp mods finally dishing out a fair opinion on the Compass

I always felt the commentary here drove a lot of people away from this exceptionally competent SUV.

Good things come at a price. Compass sales today are more than what it was pre-facelift. So maybe the market has accepted the new pricing, or it may be pent up lockdown demand for now. The new few months, especially once the XUV700 is launched- will tell the true story.

The ride is like a magic carpet in the 17 inchers- and this i say after owning this post 3 years on a Endeavour!

Spot on comparison between the Kodiaq and Compass. The 2 issues i have with my Compass are- space on offer, and rear AC performance. Not much can be done about the former, but did you also feel the latter, Vid?

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 13th August 2021 at 14:59.
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks