Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 09:16   #691
MVM
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very difficult to remove. See the ones on my 4 1/2 year old Octavia .

I had asked a trusted detailer who replied that he can try and use a mild abrasive compound on it (used to restore headlights), but refused to guarantee the outcome. So I backed away.
Exactly what had happened on my Tiguan too. The detailer first said that he would use a final cut compound to remove the scratches but when he saw that the cluster plastic was divided into 3 pieces he said that it could not be done.
I had this problem even in my Vento that I had before I purchased the Tiguan but since it's a low slung car the scratches are not very visible in direct sunlight but since the Tiguan sits high the scratches are clearly seen in direct sunlight.
The guage cluster plastic in all cars can be scratched quite easily but the plastic in VW's is soo delicate that it can be scratched even by using a slightly dirty microfiber towel.
MVM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 22:59   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVM View Post
The guage cluster plastic in all cars can be scratched quite easily but the plastic in VW's is soo delicate that it can be scratched even by using a slightly dirty microfiber towel.
Is it possible to replace with digital version that is available now with All Space model?
Old 12th April 2020, 12:23   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHorse View Post
Is it possible to replace with digital version that is available now with All Space model?
Vagtune shows the AID for Tiguan and it's priced at roughly 1L.

I would personally prefer the analog twin pods anyday. To me it's classic and sporty. Especially with the chrome rings
Old 17th April 2020, 13:57   #694
BHPian

Tiguan becomes the brands best seller...

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...101721412.html
Ak007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 14:15   #695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak007 View Post
Tiguan becomes the brands best seller...

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...101721412.html
Goes to show how VW have messed up by getting the Allspace and discontinued the original smaller one.

That smaller Tigual with the 2.0L TSI would have really got people interested for a sporty SUV. It would have stood out from the entire pack.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 00:02   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post

So far, no problems, except for a rattling noise from the rear seat that cropped up in the first week itself but was fixed quickly in Chandigarh.
Quoting an old post.

Could you elaborate on the rattling noise from the rear seat. I have some noise coming from the rear left side probably but not able to locate the source.

Was the rattle constant or only over rough patches? Where exactly from the seat was it emanating and how was it fixed?
Old 25th April 2020, 12:19   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Goes to show how VW have messed up by getting the Allspace and discontinued the original smaller one.

That smaller Tigual with the 2.0L TSI would have really got people interested for a sporty SUV. It would have stood out from the entire pack.
Sorry, but I don't quite follow your logic in your assessment that VW has messed it up by getting the AllSpace. If you go through the article it says that 55% of all models of Tiguan sold worldwide are the XL version which is longer by 110 mm. With India being such a price sensitive & a feature hungry market, the bulk of the 5 seat SUVs sold are in the 9-16 lac (ex.showroom) bracket.
In our market, a 7 seat SUV is what is desirable by people who are willing to shell out 30+L (Ex. showroom). That is why even Honda CRV increased their diesel offering to 7 seats & even MG Hector & Hyundai Creta are trying to come up with 7 seat models.

But anyway Skoda-VW is bringing out the Karoq which looks like a really smart and an upmarket premium 5 seat SUV with all the bells & whistles and should be around 23L (Ex-showroom ) price band, which should allow it to carve a niche for itself. If I was currently in the market for an SUV, this is the one I would go for blind-foldedly. Somehow cars from German automakers have their own unique styling and a solid build and if I may add an aura around them which sets them apart from the rest of the clutter in our market.

Personally, I am not all a big fan of 7 seat SUVs. Seating for 5 comfortably with a bigggg boot is desirable for those outstation trips for which one buys a SUV in the first place. For city driving & with our stop and go traffic, a sedan is still the most comfortable.
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 15:54   #698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Sorry, but I don't quite follow your logic in your assessment that VW has messed it up by getting the AllSpace. If you go through the article it says that 55% of all models of Tiguan sold worldwide are the XL version which is longer by 110 mm. With India being such a price sensitive & a feature hungry market, the bulk of the 5 seat SUVs sold are in the 9-16 lac (ex.showroom) bracket.
In our market, a 7 seat SUV is what is desirable by people who are willing to shell out 30+L (Ex. showroom). That is why even Honda CRV increased their diesel offering to 7 seats & even MG Hector & Hyundai Creta are trying to come up with 7 seat models.
Allow me to explain. The international markets are different than India. For one they majorly drive petrols. Secondly, the crossover market is mature there for such offerings.

India is not like that. Let's take your example of CR-V. Honda thought by giving it a 7 seater option the CR-V would sell vs the Fortuner and Endeavour. Reality was it didn't even tickle those 2. They ended up having to get rid of the stock pile at 5.5L discount.

The biggest issue was it was a 7 seater in name and rear seat was unusable. Second issue was performance from diesel and 3rd was price which was same as Fortuner.

The Tiguan Allspace is trying to now compete against these 2 in same price segment. And it has 2 out of the 3 faults of the CR-V, price and 3rd row being useless.

The CR-V had a petrol 5 seater variant which was way better than the pointless 7 seater. Creamy smooth petrol, awesome rear comfort since they used larger more comfortable seats that were fixed and pushed further back than the diesel. It was also 4 lakhs lesser than the Diesel. Same as the regular Tiguan diesel before. Today with BS6 you get only this 5 seater petrol CR-V at 28L exshowroom.

Another example for very good car that failed to challenge the Endeavour and Fortuner is the Hyundai Santa Fe. It was brilliant in performance, features but it never challenged the Toyota and Ford.

Now coming to the Allspace for India and why I think it's not the right choice:

1. It has a petrol 2.0L TSI engine which won't match the mileage of the older diesel. It is performance oriented but pointless cause a 7 seater SUV buyer isn't looking for 0-100Kmph. He wants practicality. So the sensible buyer will not want a petrol SUV giving 6-7Kmpl.
2. It is big. Nowhere near as big as the Fortuner and Endeavour but large enough to be uncomfortable in tight city roads. I have the Kodiaq which is the same size and it's not easy sometimes. The older one was perfect size to drive enthusiastically.
3. It doesn't look as good as the smaller one. IT now looks more station wagon than SUV.
4. The 3rd row is useless. It is for small kids 0.5 x 2 seats. The Fortuner and Endeavour 3rd row are like lounges in comparison. To have anyone sitting in 3rd row at all, you need to slide the 2nd row forwards reducing the legroom for middle occupants a lot.
5. The Kodiaq is coming soon with same price and engine. IT has more features and is doing decently. Why compete with sister brand?

Why the 5 seater smaller one is more suited for India:

1. A 2L TSI in the smaller body will appeal to enthusiasts and even pull away customers from Octavia and BMW/Audi who want performance.
2. Size wise it is perfect for family and enthusiasts.
3. Better dynamics than the heavier and larger 7 seater variant.
4. Perfect upgrade for Jetta/Octavia customers to keep them in the same stable.
5. Will be priced lower than the Kodiaq and can complement it rather than compete.
6. Does not have any major competition apart from Jeep compass and CR-V.

In summary, the 7 seater Tiguan is a huge crossover with unusable 3rd row, poor mileage due to the petrol engine and no appeal to enthusiasts or to people looking for a full sized SUV. Neither here nor there.

My views would have changed if it had the diesel with 190Ps tune. Cause then you can argue that Endy and Fortuner are not car like and as premium feeling. So the Tiguan Allspace is a good diesel alternative. But nobody is going to look at a petrol SUV over the Endeavour and Fortuner.

Quote:
But anyway Skoda-VW is bringing out the Karoq which looks like a really smart and an upmarket premium 5 seat SUV with all the bells & whistles and should be around 23L (Ex-showroom ) price band, which should allow it to carve a niche for itself. If I was currently in the market for an SUV, this is the one I would go for blind-foldedly. Somehow cars from German automakers have their own unique styling and a solid build and if I may add an aura around them which sets them apart from the rest of the clutter in our market.
The Karoq is really small. It's smaller than the Creta and Seltos and it feels premium but it's too small to come close to the Tiguan 5 seater.

Moreover 23L for a 1.5L engine with no AWD and a host of stuff missing. Your octavia has canton audio, electric seats for passenger, rear independent suspension, more legroom at the back and better performance.

The Karoq at 23L will be a hard sell with all the above features missing.

An Octavia or Jetta owner cannot look at a Karoq as a replacement.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th April 2020 at 17:45.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 18:30   #699
BHPian

Quote:

The Karoq is really small. It's smaller than the Creta and Seltos and it feels premium but it's too small to come close to the Tiguan 5 seater.

Moreover 23L for a 1.5L engine with no AWD and a host of stuff missing. Your octavia has canton audio, electric seats for passenger, rear independent suspension, more legroom at the back and better performance.

The Karoq at 23L will be a hard sell with all the above features missing.

An Octavia or Jetta owner cannot look at a Karoq as a replacement.
Hi Vid,
Many thanks for taking the time out for penning down such a detailed report which I really do appreciate ! I agree with almost all your points & the explanation and honestly I couldn't agree more that the Karoq cannot be a replacement for an Octavia. If the current Octavia was still available this would be the one to pick, any day ! I have written about this in the Octavia thread also.

I had a heck of a time wondering whether I was doing the right thing when I picked up the Octavia 1.8TSI L&K in Jan. this year as it was an outgoing model which was going to be discontinued in 3 months. But then I realised what I was getting in a little over 25L, I would never ever be able to get such a well engineered and a solidly built car loaded to the hilt, within this price range again !
But since the Octavia is no longer available, hence I think if I was ever in the market for a premium SUV, then Karoq would be the one ! I like the CRV petrol but at 28L (ex-showroom) its just too expensive.

I always thought that Karoq was bigger than the Creta and Seltos ( actually the T Roc is smaller) and I researched a bit and it is actually a bit bigger than the other two. The dimensions for Karoq, the New Creta & the Seltos respectively are as follows:

Length: 4382 : 4300 : 4315 / mm
Width: 1841 : 1790 : 1620 / mm
Height : 1601 : 1635 : 1620 / mm
Wheelbase : 2638 : 2610 : 2610 / mm

But thanks again for your detailed response. Cheers !
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 19:47   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I always thought that Karoq was bigger than the Creta and Seltos ( actually the T Roc is smaller) and I researched a bit and it is actually a bit bigger than the other two. The dimensions for Karoq, the New Creta & the Seltos respectively are as follows:

But thanks again for your detailed response. Cheers !
Thanks for the detailed numbers. The Karoq is a tad bigger but at the Auto Expo from what I saw it was quite compact.

Secondly I sat inside it for a long time to check vs my Kodiaq and was glad I spent the extra for the Kodiaq.

The Karoq was way more tighter in space than the Octavia, Creta and Seltos.

One of the reasons I picked up the Kodiaq was because I knew VW was getting the 2L TSI in Tiguan but in Allspace 7 seater. And so was skoda.

I saw no point in waiting for a 2L petrol in a 7 seater. 7 seater should be a torquey diesel.

Had VW announced that the 2L TSI would come in the regular smaller Tiguan, I would have not looked at the Kodiaq.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 20:43   #701
BHPian

Quote:

The dimensions for Karoq, the New Creta & the Seltos respectively are as follows:

The width of Seltos is 1800 mm & not 1620. Kindly excuse the typo
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:12   #702
BHPian

Quote:

Had VW announced that the 2L TSI would come in the regular smaller Tiguan, I would have not looked at the Kodiaq.
Totally agree with Vid. Yes, VW should have got the 2.0 L TSI on the regular Tiguan.
Old 15th May 2020, 00:28   #703
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP and we all should pitch it to VW to launch the 5 seat Tiguan only with the 2.0 TSI or TDI engine. No 1.5 TSI at all. Most of the prospective buyers including myself are sitting on this very forum and I'm sure there are many others who'd agree. SVWIPL is all ears these days to consumer feedback. They will pay heed to our feedback. I say a full poll is in order, and then a report based on that to be submitted to Steffen Knapp. Launch the car in 2021 but launch only with the bigger engines.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:40   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0405 View Post
Totally agree with Vid. Yes, VW should have got the 2.0 L TSI on the regular Tiguan.
VW may also launch a 1.5L TSI variant of the 5 seat Tiguan in India with a 48V hybrid system and a coasting function in a bid to increase efficiency and make up for the loss of the diesel, but this will be at a later stage.
But I just don't get it why are they launching products that simply overlap with Skoda's offering. The new 5 seat Tiguan has to be significantly different from the Karoq to make an impact. I am hoping there will be a big difference in the quality of the two including the suspension for the VW Tiguan. Although I must admit the rendering for the new Tiguan does look contemporary and stylish though.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...omeback-417259
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguan-facelifet.jpg  

Last edited by Timothy : 15th May 2020 at 14:42. Reason: Typo correction
Old 16th May 2020, 15:49   #705
MVM
BHPian

My Tiguan due for it's routine inspection. I am a resident of Bangalore. Which service center would you recommend me to entrust my vehicle to? I had the the previous inspection done at the Mysore road outlet and was not impressed with their service. The car was dirtied and a greasy wax was sprayed all over my car's interior.
I consulted my dealer and he recommended the Hosur road outlet (Elite Motors ) to me. Do you guys have any experience with Elite Motors? Please share

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks