Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 23:07   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Rear pads wear out close to 25k and front close 35k is what I have observed. I have done a lot of hill terrain driving in the first 2 years. For a regular highway and city, it must be at least 20% more is my guess.

I replaced my brake pads during the 30k service. According to the SA they still had about 5k worth of life left, however you are right about the rear pads wearing out faster than the front ones.
shaktisarangi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 22:26   #767
BHPian

I have a few fresh updates on my Tiguan, first I have replaced the stock Hankook tyres with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV 235/65R17 108V tyres which have improved the ride, handling and braking.

I got the 45k service done which also entailed changing the transmission oil and filter. Total cost was 32k including consumables, labor and taxes.

Lastly, the battery has stopped working again, for the second time in less than 3 years, this piece was actually installed under warranty just a year ago, I have sent it to the workshop and will update on what VW does. I really wish these guys would fix the battery issue permanently.
shaktisarangi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:59   #768
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
Lastly, the battery has stopped working again, for the second time in less than 3 years, this piece was actually installed under warranty just a year ago, I have sent it to the workshop and will update on what VW does. I really wish these guys would fix the battery issue permanently.
If VW replaces it in warranty, good.

Else go for Amaron with same Ah rating.

Imported Exide (Spain), SePang and Varta (Germany) battery don't work in India and tend to die prematurely. VW has been experimenting with various imported brands since 2010. Varta was best among three.
Old 5th October 2020, 11:05   #769
BHPian

I fitted Amaron after second time failure. Peace of mind.

Shakti, You have a comfortline? Highline needs 18 inch, so I am wondering what would be my options.
I have used Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in my CEDIA. They are awesome, but the life will be shorter.
Old 5th October 2020, 12:11   #770
BHPian

Quote:
I have a few fresh updates on my Tiguan, first I have replaced the stock Hankook tyres with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV 235/65R17 108V tyres which have improved the ride, handling and braking.

Yours is a comfortline. When I checked Michelin was not available for the Highline 18inch. What price did you get the Michelins

I got the 45k service done which also entailed changing the transmission oil and filter. Total cost was 32k including consumables, labor and taxes.

That is strange. When I specifically checked with the ASS for taking the service package , they told that the transmission oil change is done at 60k. Not sure why it was done at 45k for you.

Battery will most probably NOT be replaced under warranty. Warrant states that they will replace within 2 years irrespective of when the second battery was replaced. My replaced battery was dead in 6 months and just 1 year after 2 years of my purchase. I was not given a battery replacement and had to buy a new one at 7k+.
Old 5th October 2020, 13:00   #771
BHPian

Quote:
I fitted Amaron after second time failure. Peace of mind.

Shakti, You have a comfortline? Highline needs 18 inch, so I am wondering what would be my options.
I have used Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in my CEDIA. They are awesome, but the life will be shorter.

Yup, I have a Comfortline, however you get Pilot Sport SUV tyres for 18 inch wheels as well. The details are available online and I can message the same to you.

In case I don't get a replacement of the battery under warranty, I will get the Amaron. Can you suggest which model of Amaron to go for ? There are 3 available with the same amp rating, Go, Flo and Black.
Old 5th October 2020, 19:54   #772
BHPian

Quote:
YCan you suggest which model of Amaron to go for ? There are 3 available with the same amp rating, Go, Flo and Black.
I went with Amaron Flo DIN66

I will check on Pilot Sports 4.
Old 5th October 2020, 20:51   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went with Amaron Flo DIN66

I will check on Pilot Sports 4.
Doesn't the Tiguan come with start-stop tech? In which case it must be using an EFB battery. EFB batteries must be replaced with EFB or AGM batteries only. And, as told to me by the service centre, after fitting a new battery, adaptation (coding) is required.

My Polo GTI (CBU) came fitted with an EFB battery made by Moll, Germany. It was not holding charge properly (after 3 years) and I recently got it replaced at VW ASC. They fitted Varta EFB this time. Costed me 13.5K.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:18   #774
BHPian

The Tiguan does not have start stop technology. It has the ability to switch to neutral and coast when you take your foot off the accelerator in ECO mode.
Update on the battery is that VW refused to replace it on account of warranty having expired, despite the fact that it is only one year 4 months since the last replacement. I then yelled at them, escalated to VW service folks and they have now agreed to bear a part of the cost as a goodwill gesture. I will get details of what they are offering tomorrow.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 00:33   #775
BHPian

Anybody got the 6th year warranty for the Tiguan yet?

I currently have 4+1 warranty that came standard with the car. I wanted to take the 6th year warranty at the time of picking the car but my SA advised against it citing typical offers every year around the festive season when VW offers extended warranty at considerable discounts.
Old 6th October 2020, 09:45   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Anybody got the 6th year warranty for the Tiguan yet?

I currently have 4+1 warranty that came standard with the car. I wanted to take the 6th year warranty at the time of picking the car but my SA advised against it citing typical offers every year around the festive season when VW offers extended warranty at considerable discounts.
What I understood was that the warranty/extended warranty is max of 5 yrs. Its either 2+3 , 4+1, 3+2 etc.
After that it is called Add on warranty and it can be taken only just before the expiry of the extended warranty. Not sure if there has been any change to this recently.
Old 6th October 2020, 23:58   #777
BHPian

Quote:

Please share the invoice if you don't mind. That will help us all with the part numbers (especially the transmission oil and filter) and price break up.

Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:38   #778
BHPian

Update on the battery issue, the Tiguan is back home with a brand new battery. Couple of key points to note, VW initially refused and when I asked about putting a battery other than the stock Exide, I was told it may void my extended warranty.

As a result I escalated the issue and finally they have put in another stock Exide for which I have paid 980 rupees with rest of the cost being borne by VW as a goodwill gesture. Good thing is that because I have paid a small sum, this will be considered a paid replacement and I get 2 years warranty starting now.

So, all's well that ends well
shaktisarangi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 22:42   #779
BHPian

I've been waiting to contribute on this Tiguan thread ever since we picked up one of the last diesel Tiguans in the country in December 2019!
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-tiguan.jpg
Thanks to the lockdown, I haven't gotten the chance to drive this beast as much as I'd have liked but I'd love to share my experiences and findings on this thread. To begin with would like to share the issues I've faced in nearly a year of ownership.

Niggles
1. Stuck Fuel Lid Actuator
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-fuel-lid-overview.png
The fuel lid seems to be a very flimsy assembly which is very easy to be improperly aligned if a fuel attendant is not careful. One fine day at a diesel station, the fuel lid just refused to budge. A deeper investigation revealed that the Fuel Lid Actuator was not being able to properly release the Fuel Lid and as a result, the fuel lid was often completely jammed. The service guys advised me to not tamper and force the lid open and were quick to jump to suggest a warranty replacement of the part, but in typical fashion, this part was not available for a good two weeks and so I ended up analysing and fixing this issue myself.

If you have seem to have a minor mechanical issue, where the Actuator isn't opening correctly enough, then a little greasing with a neutral silicone grease should solve the issue. You may also grease the door a little.
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-greasing-pin.png
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-greasing-hinge.png
The fuel lid actuator is supposed to be free when the vehicle is unlocked and it should not open the fuel lid when the vehicle is locked. You can easily test if the electronic fuel lid actuator is working correctly by locking and unlocking the vehicle. In my case, a replacement was not necessary, a minor greasing helped free the Fuel Lid and solved the issue.

2. Broken Spring Loaded Grab Handles
During the First Swaagat (Scam) service, the dealership technicians ended up ruining the spring loaded grab handles and this is actually a very common issue on quite a number of Volkswagen vehicles and so I'm told will be covered under warranty. The fun part is it is only the return springs which pop off. The handles by themselves stay on firmly.

Accesories I've Tossed In
  • DSG Aluminium Pedal Caps ($10)
  • Rear AC Vent Cover (3$)
  • Battery Cover ($6)
  • Exhaust Chrome Tips
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-rear-ac-vent-opening.jpg
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-ac-vent-cover.png
The stock rear AC vents have a wide opening and they can swallow big stones depending on how occupied your rear seats are. So I thought it was imperative to order protective vent covers which have helped to a considerable extent.
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-old-pedal-caps.jpg
I had no problem with the original DSG Pedals but adding the Aluminium Pedals does amp up the sportiness quotient for sure. The Original VW Accesory costs above Rs. 6000, while you can easily get them off Aliexpress.
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-dsg-pedal-caps.jpg
Another thing which I wanted was a battery cover to add to the aesthetics of what looks like a well packaged engine bay and again, this was also picked up from Aliexpress.
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-battery-covers.jpg
Retrofits Planned
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (Parts Ordered and arriving in batches)
  • OEM Wireless Charging
  • Virtual Cockpit
  • MIB 3 (Next Year when Wireless CarPlay will be natively supported)
Weird Bits
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20200806_170022.jpg
The 2019 Tiguan sold in India had a few funny omissions from Volkswagen. The passenger side does not have a seat belt warning anymore. I could not find a sensor and VCDS also confirmed the same. The roof ambient lighting has been entirely removed and not just disabled from VCDS due to the Fire Hazards. The boot stick has 2 buttons for sensor based closing. The vehicle does not come with Virtual Cockpit and does not have the Radar for Adaptive Cruise but VW have provided a wheel which has the buttons for the Virtual Cockpit. The present buttons on the vehicle are not compatible with Adaptive Cruise as per my sources but I'll be able to verify this in a few weeks.
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-cruise-control-buttons.jpg
Here is the Adaptive Cruise Control Radar which has just come in.
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-radar.jpg
fluidicjoy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 07:43   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
I've been waiting to contribute on this Tiguan thread ever since we picked up one of the last diesel Tiguans in the country in December 2019!
Congratulations on the Tiguan purchase and welcome to the fold!

What seems like small minor mods actually add a very large aesthetic value. I really like the AC vent covers.

Good luck with the adaptive cruise control upgrade. Does the car have all the sensors it needs for it, besides the control module you got?

Is yours a Highline or Comfortline? I thought all Highline's came with the Virtual Cockpit. I've asked VW how much a replacement Virtual Cockpit would cost so I could get a feel for how much it would cost to upgrade my Comfortline, but they said they don't sell it as is.

Again congratulations and please do keep updating. I'm sure many of us will be avidly following. Also if it's possible do post the Aliexpress links for the accessories you bought. Helpful for anyone else who wants to get them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks