Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:39   #2206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
explain!
unless the car cooled down towards the end of the post
Guess you skimmed through his post. The earlier part of the post referred to his Honda Brio. Sort of like a comparison with his old car vs Nexon.

Noticed a weird issue last week. If I keep my key and mobile phone in the same pocket, the car does not unlock when I use the unlock button on the door/boot. This happens like 90% of the times. Anyone less noticed this?

Last edited by knaveen : 2nd May 2019 at 09:50.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:35   #2207
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
explain!
unless the car cooled down towards the end of the post
Mediocre AC was for Brio and Very effective was for Tata Nexon
I am sure Brio will take much longer than end of post to cool down
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:25   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Mediocre AC was for Brio and Very effective was for Tata Nexon
My bad. I read the post in a hurry.
In my defence though, there is little spacing or you could have used Bold to differentiate where the bad ends and good begins?
That is what confused me in the first place.

Wish you also happy miles with the Nexon. It won't disappoint you.
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:43   #2209

PDI / QC Standards of Tata Motors

Hi, Last week I took delivery of a Nexon XZA+ Petrol car (chassis number ending with 15059) with AMT Transmission from Auto Vikas Delhi. Within 2 days of delivery I got AMT Failure error twice in the car. Both the time error came when driving in bumper to bumper traffic leading to lot of chaos as the car would stall and refuse to move with the AMT failure light flashing. While driving on open roads the car is giving no problem at all.

I understand that no car company can assure 100% defect free product but such major failure at the time of delivery does not speak well about the Quality Control and Pre Delivery Inspection of Tata Motors. Specially for Tata Motors who are trying so hard to change their image and positioning.

Anyways, after speaking to the sales person twice I took the car the Auto Vikas service center on 30/4/19, they acknowledged the problem after the AMT Failed again in the service center premises itself for the third time. Now waiting for them to get back with the corrective measures.

I am myself into electronics business and understand product defects are inevitable but Quality Control and post problem response are the two areas which separates leaders from laggards. While Tata Motors has failed me on the first aspect (QC) now waiting for their response to find out the second aspect. Will post updates on the thread.

But, sadly the joy and excitement you feel after buying a new car was replaced with chaos and tension in 20 kms flat. This is something which is impossible to correct now and which will make me regret choosing a Tata for a long long time.
itsmbabel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:02   #2210
BHPian

Guys i have to share something with you all regarding the FE of Nexon Petrol.

Last week i filled up the petrol tank fully and decided to see what should be the real world FE of the car and how much variation is there on the MID. So with full talk of fuel i drove about 117 kms for about 3 days. The distance was covered along highway as well as within the City with City having normal traffic as well as occasional bumper to bumper traffic. I used AC for not much distance roughly about 20kms i guess thanks to the rain which made the weather much cooler and didn't require AC much.

Having said that i used SPORTS,CITY as well as ECO modes over these 3 days just to see how will the car respond. I used SPORTS mode on highways which didn't have much traffic,CITY mode in normal Highway and CITY traffic and ECO mode in bumper to bumper traffic.Over these 3 days the MID showed an average varying between 15 kms to 17 kms so i was more than happy with the results i was achieving if i was to trust MID numbers.

After 3 days went to the same Petrol Station to fill up the tank fully again and as per MID numbers i expected about 9 liters of petrol considering i had driven about 117kms and the MID showed the values in excess of 15 kms. I gave MID numbers a benefit of doubt and kept a margin of about 2 kms per litre which gave me the calculation of about 9 liters of Petrol to be filled but to my shock my car needed 11.50liters of Petrol to fill up the tank in full which gave me the calculation of about only 10.35kms as FE when the MID showed between 15-17 kms during these days. I knew there is some variation but a variation of about 5kms in each trip is completely unacceptable. The average given is way too low as per the calculations even if i don't go by the MID numbers. Just 10 to 11 kms with hardly any AC ON and no load in the car it's really disappointing to say the least.I drive with a light foot so the numbers are even more puzzling. Am i doing anything wrong or it's how the car behaves.I have got the 3rd service done very recently with OD reading at only 8000 kms. The variation is way too much between the actual and MID numbers which i guess needs to be sorted out by TATA as soon as possible.
Syed Monis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 04:40   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Monis View Post

Last week i filled up the petrol tank fully and decided to see what should be the real world FE
I would suggest you do the tankful method once again. There are times where air bubbles might have caused more fuel to go in the 2nd time and less the 1st time. Happened to me.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:12   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I would suggest you do the tankful method once again. There are times where air bubbles might have caused more fuel to go in the 2nd time and less the 1st time. Happened to me.
Thanks for the suggestion and i was also thinking about doing this stunt again to see what will be the result this time around. Infact i am planning to do it 3 times at least and try to find the average value between the 3 trips and see what are the results i will achieve.

Having said that the variation of 5 kms is way too much and if the car will give an average of only 10-11 kms then i think i have owned a white elephant though i have no complaints from the performance of the car. Just a few more kms in FE would be highly appreciated thanks to the rising Petrol costs by each passing day.
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:28   #2213
BHPian

Quote:

I gave MID numbers a benefit of doubt and kept a margin of about 2 kms per litre which gave me the calculation of about 9 liters of Petrol to be filled but to my shock my car needed 11.50liters of Petrol to fill up the tank in full which gave me the calculation of about only 10.35kms as FE when the MID showed between 15-17 kms during these days. I knew there is some variation but a variation of about 5kms in each trip is completely unacceptable. The average given is way too low as per the calculations even if i don't go by the MID numbers. Just 10 to 11 kms with hardly any AC ON and no load in the car it's really disappointing to say the least.I drive with a light foot so the numbers are even more puzzling.
I am surprised that you are expecting anything more from the car. For your reference,
My Brio (920KG) NA 1.2 Petrol 88BHP, driven in Bengaluru (900mts elevation) with AC ON all the time gave a FE of 11 in city traffic and at best 12KMPL. Your car giving out 11KMPL is decent in my view.
Also places with higher elevation and colder climate will generally give low FE, esp for short runs as the Engine is not warmed up completely. A longer run will give you much better FE

Last edited by aniyo : 3rd May 2019 at 10:30.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:41   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
While i understand your pain on the poor actual FE and the difference with the MID numbers, i have a few points:

a) While doing t2t calculations, please fill fuel only till the auto cut-off and not till the brim. Filling at the same pump (at a similar time) is also essential.
b) You say that the MID was between 15-17 for those 3 days of running. Sorry, i don't get this. It has to be one fixed number and cannot be a range. Next time, please set the trip metre to zero while refilling so that you can have one MID value and then compare it with t2t numbers.
c) Did you check the tyre pressure? A 10-15% drop (just 3-4 Psi) in pressure can hamper your FE by ~10%.

To add to your misery, i don't expect Nexon petrol to deliver more than 10-12 kmpl in typical mixed driving conditions. Nexon is a heavy car and the engine is a turbo petrol, a perfect recipe for lower FE if not driven properly/sedately. Not just Nexon, any petrol car in this segment will fetch you similar numbers. I think you will have to get used to this.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:10   #2215
Senior - BHPian

I was quite happy with consistently getting between 11 and 13 kmpl in city use in Delhi depending on the outside temperature. Nexon is a heavy car and I'd say this is a fantastic fuel average consumption!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:15   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
While i understand your pain on the poor actual FE and the difference with the MID numbers, i have a few points:

b) You say that the MID was between 15-17 for those 3 days of running. Sorry, i don't get this. It has to be one fixed number and cannot be a range. Next time, please set the trip metre to zero while refilling so that you can have one MID value and then compare it with t2t numbers.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and some interesting information. I would like to shed some light on the points you have mentioned. By varying numbers what i meant was the average FE during the trip was being calculated in between 15-17 kms from the point i refilled my tank. I had reset the Trip meter at 0 kms obviously to get the calculations going. Since the drive spanned through 3 days in different driving conditions the trip meter was fluctuating between 15-17 kms depending upon the type of road and traffic i was moving through. Trip meter keeps on showing different average FE with every km we travel depending upon the driving conditions as its instantaneous as you must be knowing. That is what i meant by varying number.

Now coming to the 1st point where you said i should fill the tank till Auto Cutoff only,well i have realised after the Cutoff is hit we can squeeze in another 4 liters at least and this is the number i got so far on 3 different occasions when i tried it. My another observation so far is that the distance to empty meter shows the number based on the number of liters in the car till Auto Cutoff and not beyond that even if we can fill in another 4 liters at least as already mentioned.

I have reached to this conclusion mainly on the basis of the calculations i made so far on 3 different occasions. In the previous post above where i mentioned about the poor FE i made further research and that is why i am saying so because if i take into account only the number of liters i put in till Auto Cutoff it came to only 7.5 liters and by that calculations it means i covered 117 kms in 7.5 liters which gives the FE = 15.6 kms which is what the MID was showing at that moment and i should believe that knowing the driving conditions during those 3 days and the way i drive my car.

I have to believe this calculation for another proof i got when i filled up the tank some 2 weeks ago and it was much easier to calculate in that situation. So here is what happened that time. I was travelling on low fuel with indicator blinking constantly. The distance to empty said i can drive for another 70 kms when first warning flashed. I had decided to fill up the tank at a specific station as it was more convenient to do the tankful drill if i fill in from there. So by the time i reached that station the meter showed i could travel just 30 kms further with the fuel available. The MID showed the average at about 13 kms that time and even if i consider real time FE at 10 only it meant i had just 3 liters of fuel left. So when i filled up the tank i expected the tank to have about 40 to 41 liters of refuelling considering Nexon has a 44 liter tank capacity but to my surprise the meter on the petrol pump showed i filled up only 37.50 liters of fuel which meant i had about 6.5 liters still left even after the Auto CutOff was already crossed. The Auto Cutoff was reached at about 34 liters thus adding another 4 liters of fuel almost further after Cutoff. When i left and started to calculate i initially thought i would had used 6.5 liters of fuel to cover another 30 kms if not refueled which gave me an average of just about 5 kms per liter which is completely abnormal and cant be just true.

After much brainstorming i realised it's only the Auto Cutoff limit till the MID calculates distance to empty as not all people try to squeeze in more fuel after the Auto Cutoff limit by either shimming,or pushing the car sideways. Plus its not necessarily fixed how much fuel can further be added after the Auto Cutoff limit is reached as it will surely vary between the condition of tank as well as the petrol station.With the the very recent incident i talked about i could again say that the distance to empty is shown till Auto Cutoff limit only and the average FE is calculated based on the Auto Cutoff limit only with about 4 liters of fuel kept as reserve in case of emergency. So all the calculations should be based on only 40 liters i feel and not 44 liters of fuel capacity.

I know i have written such a long post and i have been a huge bore during my post but this was something i really needed to share with my fellow BHPians and i hope i am not wrong with this one.
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:26   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the feedback
Ok to be true, i quicky ran through your post. I think you are over analysing things here. Please do 1 thing:

Go to your trusted fuel pump and fill fuel till auto cut-off. Drive for 100 kms or so and go to the same pump. Again fill till auto-cut off. Whatever fuel the car takes in, is the fuel that you burnt in those 100 kms (or whatever distance). This will give you your actual FE number. You don't need to do anything else. It is pretty simple and straight forward.
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:39   #2218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....The distance to empty said i can drive for another 70 kms when first warning flashed....
FE calculations aside, please DO NOT take DTE readings for gospel. They can vary wildly depending on driving conditions.

The numbers you are reporting for city driving are pretty decent for a small petrol motor (turbocharged too) in a heavy car. You may be able to eke out an extra kmpl or so with more careful driving in similar conditions, but the amount of stress looking at the meters all the time (and the risk of being distracted) isn't worth the difference.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 07:37   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Even the auto cutoff is dependent on how speedily the fuel is dispensed. If fuel sloshes around more, more early does the auto cutoff kicks in as the sensor is with the dispensing nozzle. If one opts for auto cutoff, then one must make sure that the fuel is dispensed more slowly.

DTE is more accurate than the FE as shown on the MID. I am not saying it's 100% accurate but one can safely trust it. Personally, I have never allowed the DTE to fall below 100 km so I cannot vouch for 100% accuracy.

As to filling up the tank to the brim, a person who was next in queue came over and asked me not to fill it up. His reason was, if there is no space in the tank then the return diesel would be hampered. While it was true with older diesel fuel injection pumps, I am not sure about it with the common rail diesels.
Old 5th May 2019, 14:23   #2220
BHPian

First service update (Nexon XZ+ diesel): Good, Decent and Bad

Good:
Gave the car for service to Concorde motors, Dairy circle. They resolved almost all the issues, like rattling noise in back door, this was due to something loose in lock latch. They also tightened the suspension and the dashboard.
The cleaning was decent, dry wash only as govt has stopped the water wash.
Car delivered on time, oil not changed or topped up as the level was sufficient as per them. Nothing else changed.
The reverse gear was having an issue in slotting. They fixed this. No more issues.
The engine seems to be revving more freely now. Also the FE seems to have improved. Last time I did a tank full, range was 590KM, this time around it shows 675KM. Not sure if it take the last FE reading as base?
Took the extended warranty for 11,900 and got the invoice next day as promised.

Decent:
They applied some sort of shine for the interior, though could not make much of a difference but the steering wheel had become slippery. I could feel something applied to it but did not know what.

Bad:
When I gave the car for service, ODO was 1414 and wehn returned it was 1420. 6KM is a bit too much for testing. I did not like this.
The range when given was 225, when i got back it was 177. I was shocked to see this. Its clear that either someone "borrowed some fuel" or someone was sitting inside with AC on for long time. Gave a piece of my mind to the service person and said if this happens again I will escalate to TATA.
I told them that speed sensing lock was not working and get it activated. He claimed this has been done. But I found it was still inactive. I could not test it there as it was already 6:30 and the first time I could cross 20KMPH was after 5 mins of leaving the center.
The service person claimed that some setting has to be done in the vehicle setup from the screen and he will have someone reach out to me. Has not happened yet.

Apart from the above 2 negative points, the rest was smooth.

Help needed:
Tata motors has 2 plans, P2P and GOLD AMC not sure whether they are worth it. We can choose only one. P2P covers regular consumables like break pad, clutch plate, bushes, and some more parts which are not likely to fail. This is covered till 60,000KM. Service person claimed that the Nexon Brake Pads have to be changed every 20-25000 KM as it is a heavy car I was like.. Told him that my Brio is still running stock pads at 49000 KM and 20-25000 is just unbelievable. For now have skipped both. Any suggestion will be welcomed.

OT
I have to give it to Honda, they make really reliable cars. Last time I switched on the Brio was 29th March (Nexon arrived on 30th). Today we were going out for breakfast and decided to take Brio for a spin.
I was totally surprised, Brio started in first crank. It's just so silent at idle. I mis-cranked twice at the signal thinking it is off.
There is immense joy in riding a NA petrol esp a small car that can be thrown around. Just reminded me the bulk of Nexon. The biggest surprise, the tyres just lost 2 PSI in over a month of idle.
Now I am really in two minds should I sell it off or just hold it for occasional drives and short city runs. Its a fuss free fun car.

Last edited by aniyo : 5th May 2019 at 14:25.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks