Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 10:07   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Agreed. I am aware of the points mentioned by you. Just curious if there is any way to know if any increase in the average sales of EcoSport is due to Mahindra showrooms. I guess Ford and Mahindra would have those numbers, as one important reason for Ford for this JV was to improve its reach in India.

Has anyone come across Ford cars at Mahindra showrooms ? The article that broke this news was quite vague where it was mentioned that existing Mahindra dealers would be setting up 'exclusive' outlets for Ford cars but did not give more details.

The higher Jan sales is definitely the year end factor, since Ford shuts down in December for annual maintenance, etc.
Old 15th February 2019, 10:48   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Ford has updated the Titanium and Titanium+ variants with the better instrument cluster of the Titanium S. Welcome move!
In the day and age of features getting deleted, it's a welcome move indeed. I wonder if its possible to upgrade to the new instrument cluster
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:10   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Ford has updated the Titanium and Titanium+ variants with the better instrument cluster of the Titanium S. Welcome move!
I got the 10,000 km service done on Tuesday. In addition to the usual oil/filter change, I got the AC filter renewed and wheel balancing/rotation & front wheel alignment done.

I did ask the Service Manager for upgrading to the S cluster. Glad to know they have introduced this on the T+ model. If Ford is willing to sell the Instrument Cluster, it should be easy to change (like in VW)
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 15:56   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this confirmed news? Meaning, does the Titanium and Titanium Plus models come with the fancier MID screen from the S version as well? Or is it only the chrome rings around the dials that have been added to the T/T+ versions?

Any increase in prices due to this addition?
Old 15th February 2019, 17:11   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post

I did ask the Service Manager for upgrading to the S cluster.
What did he say? Can the cluster be replaced?
Old 15th February 2019, 19:08   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a smart move by Ford. I had taken a TD of the EcoSport T+ AT last year. The car left a positive impression barring the eyesore of the MID and clocks. Shared the feedback with the SA that get the clocks from the S into the T+ model which would complete the package. Shared the same feedback with Ford when they chased me on my enquiry.
So happy to see this. Well done Ford.

PS: Did the Petrol Titanium + AT model ever have the sunroof? I seem to have my wires crossed.
Edit: Checked my pics from the Test Drive, the T+ never had the sunroof, it's the S that has it.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 15th February 2019 at 19:18.
Old 15th February 2019, 19:18   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Is this confirmed news? Meaning, does the Titanium and Titanium Plus models come with the fancier MID screen from the S version as well? Or is it only the chrome rings around the dials that have been added to the T/T+ versions?

Any increase in prices due to this addition?
As per the latest brochure Titanium and Titanium+ have the same MID and chrome rings as the Titanium S. No increase in prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Did the Petrol Titanium + AT model ever have the sunroof?
Nope. Only the Titanium S and Signature have it.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 11:51   #758
BHPian

Anyone knows how to disable the rear wiper? I sometimes mistakenly disturb its switch while moving the steering, and it starts wiping dry. Worse, I don't event come to know immediately. I found an option in the instrument cluster to disable it, but it didn't work. My model is Titanium + AT.
Old 16th February 2019, 12:45   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Anyone knows how to disable the rear wiper? I sometimes mistakenly disturb its switch while moving the steering, and it starts wiping dry. Worse, I don't event come to know immediately. I found an option in the instrument cluster to disable it, but it didn't work. My model is Titanium + AT.
The option you found disables the rear wiper only when the front wipers are on and you're reversing the car.
There's no way to disable that switch, maybe try putting some tape on it.
Old 16th February 2019, 13:09   #760
BHPian

Quote:
As per the latest brochure Titanium and Titanium+ have the same MID and chrome rings as the Titanium S. No increase in prices.

Nope. Only the Titanium S and Signature have it.
Is this applicable for January Manufactured vehicles or Feb? I am supposed to take the delivery tomorrow, but neither the SA nor his senior have any idea about this.
Old 16th February 2019, 13:40   #761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Anyone knows how to disable the rear wiper?
Do you want to disable it permanently? One extreme measure is to pull out the fuse responsible for the rear wiper. But most likely, this won't work as one fuse might cater to multiple electronics, including the wiper.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 16:30   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Do you want to disable it permanently? One extreme measure is to pull out the fuse responsible for the rear wiper. But most likely, this won't work as one fuse might cater to multiple electronics, including the wiper.
No, not permanently! I very much need it in rainy season. In fact, I find lack of rear wiper in sedans as almost a deal breaker.

A jugaad solution would be to cover the tiny switch using a tape, disabling its movement. I think this switch is a big usability flaw in ecosport.
Old 16th February 2019, 18:31   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Is this applicable for January Manufactured vehicles or Feb? I am supposed to take the delivery tomorrow, but neither the SA nor his senior have any idea about this.
Brochure seems to be updated on 13th Feb (seeing the file name of the brochure pdf that gets downloaded). Ford is notorious for changing features silently and going by past trends I would say this change should be from Feb manufactured vehicles. And as always, the dealers get the memo a bit late. Or they might be feigning ignorance to deliver you the 'older' vehicle that would have been already billed for you. I would suggest you get it confirmed from the dealership, and if possible get the updated vehicle. The 'premium' instrument cluster looks miles better than the current one. And there's no increase in price as well!
Old 16th February 2019, 20:51   #764
BHPian

This post is about a real life accident which demonstrates the safety provided by the Ecosport, followed by my hypothesis of what might be the Ecosport's Global NCAP score if it were to be tested by the agency.

Recently a member of my Facebook Ecosport group met with an unfortunate accident in his Ecosport Titanium S on a toll road at night. A Terrano that had been parked on the road side, suddenly came onto the road infront of him with its headlights off! The Ecosport was at a 'high' speed and rear ended the Terrano. Thankfully, he came out of this without a scratch! Occupants in the Terrano are also safe. Below are the photos shared by him -

Damage to the front. Impact didn't reach the windshield. As per latest update, engine parts like fuel pump, turbo, manifolds etc are damaged. Chassis is fine.
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-fb_img_155031942012201.jpeg

Both front airbags deployed. Note that the driver side window didn't shatter due to the accident, rather some miscreant broke it to steal the phone charger and USB drive!
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-fb_img_1550319428235.jpg

Another view of the damage
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-fb_img_155031943425901.jpeg

Rear of the Terrano
2018 Ford EcoSport Facelift 1.5L Petrol : Official Review-fb_img_155031953614601.jpeg

I started reading about the Global NCAP's crash test procedure and also went through the Team BHP thread about Tata Nexon receiving the 5 star safety rating. BHPian avinash_clt has explained in detail in that thread, what goes into getting a 5 star safety rating from GNCAP.

For the uninitiated, NCAP stands for New Car Assessment Program. There are several NCAP agencies in the world like Global NCAP, Australasian NCAP, Euro NCAP, Japan NCAP, ASEAN NCAP, China NCAP, Korean NCAP and Latin NCAP. Every NCAP has its own protocol to crash-test and score cars, so the results are not interchangeable. Euro NCAP, conducts full frontal, front offset, side impact and side pole tests, while Global NCAP ratings are based on front offset crash tests alone.

A front offset crash test is designed to simulate a head-on collision between two cars. In the Global NCAP test, the car is driven at 64kph and with 40 percent overlap into a deformable barrier. Points are calculated by taking into account the protection provided to different body parts of the occupants. To be eligible for a 5 star rating, a car must score over 14 points out of total achievable 17 points. This includes Seat Belt Reminders for all front row seats and 4 Channel ABS. The car should also pass the side impact crash test as per criteria defined by UNECE R95 (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Vehicle Regulations).

It should be noted that the side impact crash test only needs to be passed. There are no points attached to it that adds to the final score. So if the Nexon can pass the side impact crash test without the side and curtain airbags, then hopefully the Ecosport Titanium Plus and Titanium S should be able to pass it with those extra airbags.

Coming to the front offset crash test, I feel the above accident provides a close approximation of the Global NCAP crash test simulation. So can we draw inference that the Ecosport might atleast get a 4 star GNCAP score and the top variants could get 5 star rating as well?

Ofcourse, all this is purely hypothetical and based on extrapolation of available information. Would love to hear what others think.

And FORD, if you're reading this, please get the made-for-India Ecosport crash tested by the Global NCAP. Most of the Ecosport owners buy it on the belief that it's a safe car, its high time to put a certified crash test score to it and reinforce that belief.

References -
1) https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...sh-test-410355

2) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4508745 (Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car)

3) Photos from Facebook Ecosquads group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/EcoSquads/
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 10:20   #765
BHPian

Quote:

And FORD, if you're reading this, please get the made-for-India Ecosport crash tested by the Global NCAP. Most of the Ecosport owners buy it on the belief that it's a safe car, its high time to put a certified crash test score to it and reinforce that belief.
I agree. Having a proper crash test rating attached to such a popular vehicle will benefit both the consumers and the manufacturer, in the face of the recent onslaught of compact SUVs.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th February 2019 at 19:50. Reason: Trimming quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks