Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 12:11   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
You simply have to go over the bumps a bit slower in my experience to avoid scraping.
Curious. The GC reported is 200mm, I think. With side steps installed do you think that is not enough to prevent scrapping? I am eagerly waiting for petrol version of Marazzo. Please start the ownership thread soon.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:15   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Curious. The GC reported is 200mm, I think. With side steps installed do you think that is not enough to prevent scrapping? I am eagerly waiting for petrol version of Marazzo. Please start the ownership thread soon.
ARAI has mandated fully laden GC to be reported starting recently. Thus, I think Mahindra have shared that the GC when fully laden is 167 mm. It's not tough to see why it would scrape its bottom in some places, especially with the steps installed.

It is factors like these which make me lean toward the neanderthal but rock-solid people movers like the TUV 300 Plus
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:21   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
ARAI has mandated fully laden GC to be reported starting recently. Thus, I think Mahindra have shared that the GC when fully laden is 167 mm. It's not tough to see why it would scrape its bottom in some places, especially with the steps installed.
That brings in a confusion. Instead of saying fully laden (what is the definition of that?) they should probably say when loaded with XXKgs the vehicle will sag to this mm of GC. Fully loaded has a range of 7 people to 10/12 people in India

I think in that case a GC above 200mm is best to have. Nexon/Dustor provides such a number.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:39   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That brings in a confusion. Instead of saying fully laden (what is the definition of that?) they should probably say when loaded with XXKgs the vehicle will sag to this mm of GC.
Fair point!

Quote:
Fully loaded has a range of 7 people to 10/12 people in India
So true, my sub 4m TUV 300 has had that range from 7 to 10.

Quote:
I think in that case a GC above 200mm is best to have. Nexon/Dustor provides such a number.
Well, your mileage will vary if you go solely by unladen GC. Take the Marazzo for instance; it has a soft suspension that travels a lot (up and down, i.e.). This softness makes it comfortable over all roads, but the same softness makes it sag under a full load from 180 mm unladen to 167 mm laden.

The Tata Safari also sags when fully loaded with its soft suspension, from what I've seen.

The TUV 300 and the TUV 300 Plus are great at holding their ground clearance with 7 to 10 people on board. They have that infamous hard suspension to deal with such loads. (With the TUV 300, I don't have a laden GC number to offer but with 8 or even 10 people on board, I've made it across bad speedbreakers or pockmarked rural roads with no scraping underneath. But then again, it does have a lower wheelbase...)

But on the whole, body on frame vehicles do better under a full load for some reason and do not sag under heavy loads to the extent that monocoques will. So a Nexon or a Duster will probably do much worse under an "Indian load" (you know what I mean ) to the point where even 200 mm of unladen GC won't be enough!

I wonder how the monocoque Ertiga fares under a full load?

Last edited by locusjag : 17th March 2020 at 13:41.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:51   #365
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
It is factors like these which make me lean toward the neanderthal but rock-solid people movers like the TUV 300 Plus
LOL.
Its the perfect word to describe the TUV300.
Still laughing.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 14:13   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how the monocoque Ertiga fares under a full load?
I do have an Ertiga (2016, petrol) and have used it fully loaded a multiple times (6 people and bunch of heavy luggage but not "Indianally Loaded "). It sags and scrapes on unscientifically designed speed humps and I need to be extra careful on such spots. The unladen GC of 185mm sags (I do not have the real number) and it is substantial for sure.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 17th March 2020 at 14:14.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 14:21   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do have an Ertiga (2016, petrol) and have used it fully loaded a multiple times (6 people and bunch of heavy luggage but not "Indianally Loaded "). It sags and scrapes on unscientifically designed speed humps and I need to be extra careful on such spots. The unladen GC of 185mm sags (I do not have the real number) and it is substantial for sure.
That is disheartening to hear. The Ertiga does have a relatively higher wheelbase at 2740 mm, so it has that going against it as well...

Out of nowhere, a (faintly related) flashback comes to mind - I know of an Innova that snagged itself over a boulder in a hilly kucha track that leads to a popular hotel/homestay in Ooty. I don't know what happened to it, but it needed towing. The entire family of 8 that was seated inside had to trek to the hotel from there.

We need to really understand the effect of laden GC and the elongated wheelbase of any people mover before choosing one!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 15:13   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We need to really understand the effect of laden GC and the elongated wheelbase of any people mover before choosing one!
I came to know about it only when it scraped on a huge speed hump at Sarjapura and again at a huge ditch edge in same area. As you are I too was not worried about the sag until then. The fuel tank being under the middle row seat I was really scared when it happened. I traveled on same road multiple times after that with lighter load and issue was not observed. Eventually the road got tarred and now this scenario cannot be tested. But the lesson I learned is "Ertiga too can scrape".
Coming to Marazzo, I am not sure but it seems to be in similar category and being also an 8 seater, will it hold adequate GC with full load? (This is for considering it as my next long distance horse after Ertiga, but petrol version and once launched I will wait for results for a couple of years before going for it.)
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 15:23   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to Marazzo, I am not sure but it seems to be in similar category and being also an 8 seater, will it hold adequate GC with full load? (This is for considering it as my next long distance horse after Ertiga, but petrol version and once launched I will wait for results for a couple of years before going for it.)
There's an inescapable trade-off involved here. I cannot digest a car that would scrape its underbody and hence I chose a Tank. Its lower wheelbase, hard suspension and high GC guarantees peace of mind over bumps and bad roads irrespective of the load. But the Tank with its lower wheelbase offers only so much legroom and the hard suspension puts off people (even though i don't mind it).

Whatever makes the Marazzo click (longer wheelbase, soft suspension etc.) will work against its laden GC. You could look towards the TUV 300 Plus (as I am) or a used Fortuner (another poster-child of hard suspensions) if the GC issue is simply non-negotiable. And who knows what newer offerings will come our way in the market in 2 years time?
Old 15th May 2020, 11:23   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like there have been tremendous Ground Clearance problems that lower variant Marazzo owners have faced due to the smaller wheels they get in M2, M4 and M6 variants. After a stiff fight with MASS by a customer, the point has been accepted and Mahindra have supposedly rectified this issue since December 2019 by fitting 17" wheels in all variants in the manufacturing line.
Mahindra Marazzo : Official Review-capture_20200515112226.png

https://m.facebook.com/groups/233225..._comment_reply

Last edited by locusjag : 15th May 2020 at 11:24.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 09:01   #371

Did any of the Marazzo owners got the wireless Android auto working?

https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...outheast-asia/

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2020 at 22:42. Reason: Typo
wankhade is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2020, 13:35   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like there have been tremendous Ground Clearance problems that lower variant Marazzo owners have faced due to the smaller wheels they get in M2, M4 and M6 variants.
Not sure if upgrading to 215/60/R17 will solve the clearance problem. I understand that the current size in 215/65/R16 for lower variants, and based on some back of the envelope calculations the net gain would only be about 7mm. Bigger concern IMO should be the loss in tyre profile and the harsher ride that the R17s would deliver. Any M8 owners who feel that the ride quality on M2/M4 better than your M8?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 14:50   #373
Senior - BHPian

The difference between diameters of M2 tire size and M8 tire size is just 5 mm. So the actual clearance benefit for M8 is just 2.5 mm. I don't think that would make such a difference in the scenarios where underside will be scrapped. Of course every mm of ground clearance matters, but spending 60k for 2.5 mm additional ground clearance seems pointless to me.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th June 2020 at 20:49. Reason: edited
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:48   #374
BHPian

Guys i purchased a Marrazo M4 just before the Covid lock down began and thank my stars that i was just able to get it registered before everything got shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Bigger concern IMO should be the loss in tyre profile and the harsher ride that the R17s would deliver. Any M8 owners who feel that the ride quality on M2/M4 better than your M8?
I specifically evaluated ride quality difference between 17 inch and 16 inch variants of Marrazo when i was deciding on the variants for my Marrazo purchase. I took back to back test rides with the 16 inch and 17 inch version and also ensured that the cold air pressure was correctly set by measuring air pressure myself using my own trusty tiretek pressure gauge. The tyre pressure was set to Mahindra recommended 35 psi for 17 inch M8 variant and 32 psi for the 16 inch M6 variant. The 16 inch ride is significantly better while going over broken surfaces/pot holes/speed breakers. I dropped M8 just because of this reason. And decided to go for a white M6 but ended up with a black M4. Will explain later in a separate post.
JediKnight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 15:32   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Guys i purchased a Marrazo M4 just before the Covid lock down began and thank my stars that i was just able to get it registered before everything got shutdown.
Congrats! Do pen an ownership review. Marazzo owners are too quiet on the forum.

Quote:
I specifically evaluated ride quality difference between 17 inch and 16 inch variants of Marrazo when i was deciding on the variants for my Marrazo purchase....The 16 inch ride is significantly better while going over broken surfaces/pot holes/speed breakers. I dropped M8 just because of this reason.
Thanks for sharing. What's your experience like with a full load? Have you had any ground clearance issues? But then again, if the FB post which I had pasted above is true, then Mahindra seem to have 'rectified' GC issues as of a certain date...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks