Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd September 2019, 21:59   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Ertiga : Official Review

One of the things i personally dislike about the new Ertiga is the poor sound insulation of the cabin. Has anybody tried damping the car and how much difference did it make.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:33   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
One of the things i personally dislike about the new Ertiga is the poor sound insulation of the cabin. Has anybody tried damping the car and how much difference did it make.
Damping will make a significant difference but it won't fully improve by a huge margin.

The reason is the Ertiga has very huge windows and maruti decided to reduce the glass thickness to reduce weight+improve FE + reduce cost. So the sound entering due to the thin windows will still not get fully solved.

As a result whenever I have sat in one or driven one I kept thinking one of the window was not fully closed.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:27   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Damping will make a significant difference but it won't fully improve by a huge margin.

The reason is the Ertiga has very huge windows and maruti decided to reduce the glass thickness to reduce weight+improve FE + reduce cost. So the sound entering due to the thin windows will still not get fully solved.

As a result whenever I have sat in one or driven one I kept thinking one of the window was not fully closed.
That is interesting. Making glass thinner will add to more trouble only. My ertiga's (2016 model, not the new one) side glass was hit by a small stone on road. Fortunately it did not break it but I can still see a significant impression on glass (the big glass). Just wandering if same thing happens with new Ertiga. As mentioned, if the glass is thinner, it may break it adding to more expenses to owners. Not a wise move by Maruti on every aspect of new cars (reduced weight policy )

For potential Maruti buyrs, atleast for those who drove the cars before the weight loss program, newer lighter cars are a real concern for sure. (I am one of them)

Last edited by rajivtelang : 3rd September 2019 at 09:31.
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019, 11:13   #274
BHPian

Gentlemen,

What is your opinion about the Reliability and spare parts availability of the Ertiga Automatic.

The next car I buy, I am planning to keep for 15 years.

The competition is between Ertiga AT and B-RV CVT.

I hear "youtube pundits" say Ertiga has an outdated Automatic etc. It is 1990 s tech.
What is the outlook on Serviceability and parts availability for the Maruti AT? How many units have they sold?

I think honda sells more CVT cars than Maruti AT. So , I feel serviceability may be better for a honda, but I may be totally wrong. Hence asking here.

Which one should I buy if I just wanted a car that I can grow old(ER) with.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2019, 19:08   #275
BHPian

Just an update..

Just pure in city driving for the last 3 odd months.

Traffic is taking a toll - struggling at single digit fuel efficiencies.

Seven seats works - extended family feels comfortable to join in for short drives, rather than take another vehicle or make alternate arrangements. But it also implies more pickups, drops and waiting.

Engine start-stop feature is useful, but constant crawling in 2/3 gears implies that the feature shuts off on its own after activating a few times.

Had to wade through water a couple of weeks ago, had to move the vehicle before the flood waters rose to a level which prevents the vehicle to move anywhere afterwards ( I have the 26 Jul 2005 experience). The flood water was around half wheel level, managed to get the vehicle out safely, The only loss was the front number plate which got snapped out completely and was washed away in the flood waters. I was a bit surprised, that the acrylic sheet should snap like that but later that evening two other vehicles in the building came back with the front number plate missing.
No other apparent damage.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 14th September 2019 at 19:10.
cyberwhizs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 02:07   #276
BHPian

Finally, after 4 months, I got to drive the Ertiga out of city again, and this time it was not loaded with people or luggage and did not baby the engine too.

The one thing that I came to know with no passengers to chat is the car's sound insulation is too bad. In fact, its poorer than my dad's Chevvy Beat. Road noise and other vehicles' noise whizzing past you masks the music that is being played in the car. Prospective buyers should keep this in mind.

Engine note is gruff and NVH levels are poor above ~3700 rpm. I quite like the sound it makes, but don't like the tingy vibrations that I feel on the steering when riding it hard. Definitely miss my Brio :( . I am hoping it will come down after an oil change and after 5000 kms.

Drove the car on the worst roads on the way to Alibaug, no rattles (with windows rolled up) or any part coming loose. Also, the ride quality on bumps was very good, at no point did it feel that the car was bouncing a bit more when driven sedately.

The car has not seen sunlight for last three months and has always been driven in rains. That might be the reason why the request sensor on the passenger side door is not working anymore. One point for second service due in next week.

The 1.5 petrol engine is loud and a little gruff, but it does not feel under-powered at any point of time. Maruti Suzuki has tuned the engine and gearing to get the most of torque under 4000 rpm, that helps in less gear shifts. I was able to climb the steep Khandala ghat section or the gradient before the ghat starts after Khalapur toll station (people travelling on Mumbai-Pune expressway will know this) without any drama. There was enough power to climb or overtake even on fifth gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
One of the things i personally dislike about the new Ertiga is the poor sound insulation of the cabin.
I am looking out for some solutions too Maybe adding a sound deadening material under the bonnet will be a little helpful to mask engine noise ?
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote