Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 16:49   #931
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex20 View Post
Completing first anniversary of my ownership of Harrier.
Workshop informs me an estimated service cost of ~14.5k for first year service.

Sounds high but not sure. Can anyone share her/his experience of first year service charges.

Thanks
Congratulations on your first anniversary with your Harrier. I am due for mine in another month, or so.

I had the first year AMC bundled with my purchase and spent about Rs. 13.7 K for the same. And, my 22,500 Km service costed me about Rs. 1,150. So, depending on the mileage you have put on the odo, 14.5K seems about right for the job. Given that the Harrier is my first Tata vehicle (I had a Hyundai Verna which served me loyally for 10 years and about 185K kms), am not sure if the amount quoted is high.
madhukriss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:00   #932
BHPian

So I took a TD of a manual BS4 Harrier today as I am planning to buy the BS6 auto to check the common parts like the interiors and the suspension etc.

But the experience left me confused due to the number of issues in the car.

1. Heavy, springy, long clutch gave me a leg pain in the 35-40 mins drive. Due to the long travel clutch had to sit in a really uncomfortable driving position with knees touching the lower part of the dashboard.

2. Knocking sounds at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear.

3. Loud Humming sound from power steering when moved to a completely right or left turn position.

While when the clutch was not required on open roads the drive was good and the power felt good. Suspension, Hill Hold, drive modes worked well.

The SA told me that the car was from the first batch and the niggles are already rectified by Tata. But the car had done about 8900 kms.

Will take the TD of the latest auto variant in the next week and see the difference.

But this experience really puts a huge question mark on the reliability of the car. I have test driven multiple cars till now and this the only car where I found so many issues.
rkv_hunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:00   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
1. Heavy, springy, long clutch gave me a leg pain in the 35-40 mins drive. Due to the long travel clutch had to sit in a really uncomfortable driving position with knees touching the lower part of the dashboard.

3. Loud Humming sound from power steering when moved to a completely right or left turn position.
Regarding the clutch, the updates in July - August have fixed that. Try and TD a more recent vehicle. Knocking sounds is odd. There will be a slight humming sound on complete steering wheel lock. This is a hydraulic steering. I have been told that its normal. Again, maybe they haven't serviced the TD vehicle.
vk007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:33   #934
BHPian

Quote:

1. Point 1 doesn't matter to you since you are looking at the Auto. Drive the Auto and see if you are comfortable with it.

2. Knocking sounds are because you were too slow for the gear. This engine requires a lot more clutching and slipping than other engines that I've experienced. If the software update has taken care of it, I dont think you'd have anything to worry about in the Automatic either.

3. Humming sound at extremes are common for all Hydraulic Steerings.

None of these have any relation to reliability that you are worried about. Go ahead and drive the Auto and see if the vehicle fits your requirements.
krish3 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:40   #935
BHPian

Quote:

But this experience really puts a huge question mark on the reliability of the car. I have test driven multiple cars till now and this the only car where I found so many issues.
Hi, I have a Feb 2019 manufactured vehicle which had a few initial niggles. However, almost all the issues that you have highlighted are not something that I have experienced in the past 11 months of driving the vehicle.

Yes, the seating position does lead to some drivers' knees (depending on their height) brushing the lower part of the dashboard but I guess it is all about finding the perfect seating position after a few days with the vehicle. Wouldn't expect that you would be able to do so in a TD car which you could only drive for about 30-40 minutes. Anyways, if you are considering an Automatic, this would become a moot point.

And finally, TD vehicles have a significant propensity to be abused which could have caused the issues that you faced. So, as a happy owner, I can say with great confidence that none of these are deal breakers should you find the Harrier meeting your other expectations.
madhukriss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 14:01   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I took a TD of a manual BS4 Harrier today as I am planning to buy the BS6 auto to check the common parts like the interiors and the suspension etc.

But the experience left me confused due to the number of issues in the car.

While when the clutch was not required on open roads the drive was good and the power felt good. Suspension, Hill Hold, drive modes worked well.

The SA told me that the car was from the first batch and the niggles are already rectified by Tata. But the car had done about 8900 kms.

Will take the TD of the latest auto variant in the next week and see the difference.

Im in a similar dilemma as you and to add to this, TML's lack of transparency regarding availability of TD harrier AT and subsequent delivery is infuriating. The sales advisors are only interested in taking your booking.

Now there is chatter on the internet that TML will commence deliveries only in April and that there may be a price hike!!

Makes me want to seriously look at the top end kia seltos instead. I hope TML gets its act together, and fast!!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 00:29   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex20 View Post
Completing first anniversary of my ownership of Harrier.
Workshop informs me an estimated service cost of ~14.5k for first year service.
Congratulations on your 1st year anniversary. How many kms have you completed? Regarding the service cost, did they provide you with a list of things being changed/done? How are they justifying the Rs. 14,500 cost? What is the breakup? Kindly do share.
Old 20th February 2020, 00:32   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Im in a similar dilemma as you and to add to this, TML's lack of transparency regarding availability of TD harrier AT and subsequent delivery is infuriating. The sales advisors are only interested in taking your booking.
Tag them on social media mate! I read somewhere that deliveries will start from April because of concern regarding BS6 fuel availability. TDs should start by Feb-end, as per my information. Best get it from the horse's mouth!
vk007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 00:48   #939
BHPian

Quote:
there may be a price hike!!

Makes me want to seriously look at the top end kia seltos instead. I hope TML gets its act together, and fast!!
How can they even increase the price without even launching the vehicle? It's just rumours and click baits to lure people to click on the websites.

Tata has started listening to customer feedback, within a year they have improved the car significantly, the new harrier is a completely different product now. You have waited for some time why not some more, don't change the car just because of bad dealer experience or some delay.

Your heart is set on harrier, if you get seltos now whenever you'll see harrier(which you definitely will) you'll regret your decision, so just wait my friend
P.S. "Sabra ka fal metha hota hai" i.e. "the fruit of patience is sweet"
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 08:51   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
Tag them on social media mate! I read somewhere that deliveries will start from April because of concern regarding BS6 fuel availability. TDs should start by Feb-end, as per my information. Best get it from the horse's mouth!
I did. their SM team on twitter confirmed to me in writing that the td vehicles will reach dealers by 20th Feb. the dealers on the other hand maintain that the TD will commence mid march and no deliveries before April mid. which can easily stretch to end april. TML has a potentially great product on their hands. it will be a shame if their sales channel ruins it. when you go to buy a 20 lakh rupee car, you want to be treated a bit better than an indica cabbie.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 10:48   #941
BHPian

Quote:
I did. their SM team on twitter confirmed to me in writing that the td vehicles will reach dealers by 20th Feb.
I have spoken to few dealers in Pune and I have been told that TD will be available in first week of March and the deliveries will begin by end of March/1st week of April. The display cars will be available towards Feb End.
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:42   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Now there is chatter on the internet that TML will commence deliveries only in April and that there may be a price hike!!

I like Tata because it is an Indian company. Love for an Indian brand will only take the sales so far. The remaining distance has to be covered by excellent product delivery and after sales service.

I feel the pricing is a little steep and people might not want to spend so much on the top spec Harrier. They are already having a tough time with competition from Kia and MG. Kia will be difficult to combat. But, a Chinese brand like MG should be less difficult to deal with. However TataMotors is not stepping up to the challenge. They have such good designs but execution and production are not following through.

Tata Motors seems to be run like a public sector company and the production lines are too slow and there are too many gaps in the mechanism. They ought to learn from Toyota and get their act together. I would really like to see Tata Motors succeed and start selling more cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post

This is surprising. I am not aware of the technology behind BS6 but I don't think delay should be "because of concern regarding BS6 fuel availability". Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th February 2020 at 14:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 20th February 2020, 14:15   #943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja484 View Post

This is surprising. I am not aware of the technology behind BS6 but I don't think delay should be "because of concern regarding BS6 fuel availability". Please correct me if I am wrong.
Not at all surprising. BS6 diesel engines will work better with BS6 fuel. If you use BS4 fuel the emission control system works overtime as the sulphur content in BS4 diesel is lot more.

Take a look at issues with Seltos diesel people faced with few thousand kms and the Compass Trailhawk. In city use the DPF warning comes on very often.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 14:29   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not at all surprising. BS6 diesel engines will work better with BS6 fuel. If you use BS4 fuel the emission control system works overtime as the sulphur content in BS4 diesel is lot more.

Take a look at issues with Seltos diesel people faced with few thousand kms and the Compass Trailhawk. In city use the DPF warning comes on very often.
Aaah! Thank you for that explanation. I was, in my mind, wondering how the other manufacturers are bringing in BS6 versions. BS6 fuel will be available in Delhi only around April 1st. I am not sure how long it will take to trickle down to the pumps in Hyderabad. In that respect, it might be better to wait for the fuel to be easily available before shifting over to a BS6 vehicle. That way, Tata might be playing it right.
I really hope Tata bounces back because they have a strong product line.

On a side note, my brother is actively considering buying a BS4 Nexon because of the discounts being offered. If he is planning to keep the car for a few years and if BS4 fuel gets phased out, I wonder how that might turn out for him. Cleaner fuel (BS6) might
cause BS4 cars to run better but there might be some long term affects. Here is a link that discusses this.

Last edited by teja484 : 20th February 2020 at 14:35. Reason: Added additional detail reason for purchasing.
teja484 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 17:54   #945
Senior - BHPian

I thought Delhi/ NCR has BS 6 fuel for some time already?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks