Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 21:18   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Hector 8 Seater (out today) has put out an online form, on their site. Customers interested in a TD just have to fill in their address and the car will come to their doorstep. Why doesn't the Harrier get aggressive with its marketing? Even if the customer takes the trouble and steps into their showroom, they get to see only indifference.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 21:41   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hector 8 Seater (out today) has put out an online form, on their site. Customers interested in a TD just have to fill in their address and the car will come to their doorstep. Why doesn't the Harrier get aggressive with its marketing? Even if the customer takes the trouble and steps into their showroom, they get to see only indifference.
You mean 6-seater? Also, that marketing by Harrier/Tata can be much better.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:37   #1023
BHPian

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20200528_083314.jpg

So on 17 July 2020, our Harrier XZ completed one year, and it's safe to say the journey has been very beautiful and pleasant till now. Slowly inching towards 10k kilometres (would've certainly done more if not for this pandemic, done only about 500kms since March), here is my brief report about the car in general, particularly talking about specifics such as engine, suspension, ride etc.

1) Engine: The best part about the Harrier. The 140BHP Kryotec 2.0 engine is a mixture of both the worlds. Out on the highways, this engine is happy to oblige your commands asking for quick overtakes, in the city this engine is happy to oblige your commands demanding low end torque. The only trick here is the selection of drive mods. The drive mods make a world of difference to the way the car behaves, sport mode enables the best use of most of the power band. You can rev the engine more and the responses are sharp. But low end performance is dulled to a certain extent. Drop the revs tad bit too low and the engine will take it's time building boost. This is where city mode comes in, with its mature low end map and the use of most of the torque within a limited space in the power band, you don't don't need to worry a dime. Foot on the padel, and she will happily close spaces whether you are out on the highway or in the city. It doesn't have the turbo lag followed by a relentless pull like that of a Duster 110, but then, it doesn't have turbo lag like a Duster 110 either.

2) Ride: The second best thing about the Harrier. We graduated to the Harrier from the Duster, and ride quality was something I was dearly worried about in the initial days, and now after 365+ days of use, I can safely say it rides good. I can see my father taking bumps and poth holes at more speeds then he usually would in the hatchbacks of our garage due to the fact that most of the bumps and poth holes don't filter in much inside the cabin. The vertical movement while dealing with bad roads is very limited, and the rear passengers usually don't complain about the same.

3) Handling: I mean, this is an SUV, it's not meant to take corners, but by SUV standards, it's good. The GY Wrangler tyres have good grip, though I haven't pushed the tyres nor the car to it's limits around turns and bends yet (again, due to fact that this is an SUV). Out on the highway, it doesn't feel nervous and you won't be feeling it's tall and high stance while doing triple digit speeds. Chassis stability is at point here and in this segment, Harrier is the benchmark in the aspect of straight line stability. The steering is on the heavier side but it is very sensitive to inputs. Owners will get used to it, but in the initial days it won't be a point and shoot affair like most cars, precaution must be taken.

4) Mileage: City mileage is around 11 to 13KMPL while highway mileage is about 16 to 18KMPL. The best I've attained was 20KMPL while I was really hunting for the best mileage figures, and the worst I've got was 8KMPL (all are MID figures)

Some negative points:

1) Thanks to the bad roads or no roads, I'm hearing some rattles from the door pads in particular.

2) TATA, let me tell you there's no point giving 7-8 speakers in a car if there's a plastic piece vibrating inside the door pads if I turn the bass and volume a bit higher than usual. I hope they fixed this in the 170 facelift.

3) Rear parking camera is a joke. Takes an eternity to boot and night visibility is strictly average.

4) NVH could have been better, I for one don't mind the idea of hearing the engine as it's sound increases and decreases as I work on the A pedal or hearing the whistle of the turbo, but the regular Joe will hate it.

5) Gear shift quality is on the harder side, I drive a Hyundai. I have sensitive hands

Some fun to know facts:

1) I am no longer bullied by Scorpio and Bolero drivers, nobody messes with a Harrier

2) There's truly no replacement for displacement. While the Figo 1.5 (shares garage with our Harrier) may have excellent on paper power, out in the real world, the Harrier will out accelerate it during in gear accelerations, reason? Less turbo lag in the 2.0 Kryotec. I once drove the Harrier after driving the Figo in the open highway back to back, and the difference in driveability was clearly visible. It is only in the top of the power band you will find the need for the missing horses.

3) The gigantic torque this engine builds still catches me by surprise at times. My regular drive is a Grand i10 petrol (114nm) and if I drive the Harrier after a long duration of gap, I'm ultra careful while leaving the clutch. This engine builds more torque than 3 Grand i10s combined.

4) The high seating position, mature ride and suspension, and the stable highway manners make this a very enjoyable car. It's quite often me and my father have a "father-son who will have the keys" debate.

5) The presence of a host of safety features such as 6 airbags, ESP, hill hold control, rollover mitigation, hill descent control, corner stability control, electronic traction control, terrain response mods etc ensures that the driver and passengers feel secure inside. And TATAs recent crash test reports on other vehicles are also a confidence boosting factor.

Credit for the edited photo goes to my friend and fellow car enthusiast Shankhanil Tamuli. The black tints and alloy colour mod is his magic.

P.S - A long term ownership report on the car will be made after I've munched a healthy 30-40k kilometres.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 19th July 2020 at 14:59.
Tanveer02 is online now   (60) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:38   #1024
BHPian

I am planning for the BS6 Dark Edition. Some of the qualms that I have with the car are -
1) Choice of customized interiors in the dark edition. I feel the brown and wood finished interiors will lure more customers as color is subjective.
2) Rear reclining seats will be simply much more lucrative in long drives
3) 18'' tyres from the discovery sport will make the car look more handsome
4) The aeroplane style hand brake lever should be removed with tradition or electronic ones
5) Wish the car had more edges then curves.

Rest I feel this car is not for the tech savvy customers who wants bells and whistles in a car. This car is for drivers and dynamic lovers. Harrier makes us love Tata a little more !
mads2849 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 23:13   #1025
BHPian

Does anyone know if the re-designed ORVM on the BS6 Harrier can be fitted to the BS4 Harrier? The ORVMs on the BS4 Harrier create gigantic blind spots and are a big safety hazard on an otherwise safe car. Tata should replace them for all BS4 customers as goodwill for the trust the owners placed on the product in its initial days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
I am planning for the BS6 Dark Edition. Some of the qualms that I have with the car are -
1) Choice of customized interiors in the dark edition. I feel the brown and wood finished interiors will lure more customers as color is subjective.
2) Rear reclining seats will be simply much more lucrative in long drives
3) 18'' tyres from the discovery sport will make the car look more handsome
4) The aeroplane style hand brake lever should be removed with tradition or electronic ones
5) Wish the car had more edges then curves.

Rest I feel this car is not for the tech savvy customers who wants bells and whistles in a car. This car is for drivers and dynamic lovers. Harrier makes us love Tata a little more !
1. I have the BS4 Dark edition and like you, I too wished for the wood finished interiors but decided to compromise it for the menacing looks of the dark edition. You will not miss it though, in a few days you will start liking the dark edition interiors as well.

2. Definitely, they should have added that, although the back seat angle is still very comfortable and large seats cocoon you and one will be comfortable soon.

3. Again definitely, but then nit-pickers would have complained that Tata should have gone for different design instead of blatantly copying LR's design as if borrowing the chassis wasn't copying enough . I guess the XZ+ comes with 18 inch wheels but the 5 spoke blackened alloys of the XZ, IMO, look better than the blackened diamond-cut alloys of the XZ+. Totally boils down to personal preference.

4. A point blown way out of proportion like the positioning of the USB ports. Maybe in the review units they were notchy and hence so many complaints but our Jan'20 Harrier's handbrake is very smooth to operate and very cool and funky to operate. Also something new for people familiar with the handle type handbrake. You will start liking it definitely I bet, trust me and don't fret over the handbrake design.

5. Totally personal preference. But too many edges would have meant a design like the New Creta! I love the curves on the Harrier.

Actually, if you look closely, the Harrier has all the tech savvy features one can hope for from the segment. It misses out on the Hector type voice commands (there are options for voice commands in the infotainment system but I never tried them). In fact, the whole host of high-tech safety features make it much more tech-savvy if one is willing to go into depth. Then there's the uber cool Harrier silhouette projection lamps on the ORVMs.
I recommend you to go ahead with your plan, it is a delight own and you will definitely enjoy the SUV.
Candy$Cars is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 00:30   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
I have the BS4 Dark edition and like you,
Can you post some pictures of the interior and exterior? The only pictures i have seen are from the website. I am interested in BS6 black edition. Would love to see some picture before i walk into a showroom.
Old 24th July 2020, 18:47   #1027
Senior - BHPian

I have a voice command system by Microsoft in my FIAT Punto since 2010 and I have found that its easier to execute commands the traditional way. These voice command systems lose attraction over a period of time during the ownership in my personal opinion. The lack of such features in Harrier shall not be a deal breaker.

Also, sharing a video of the hand brake operation in a 2019 Harrier on display in a mall in Mumbai during my last visit there. I did not find it inconvenient and would love to see this design being retained by TATA. The 2020 TATA Harrier is one of the most complete product in my opinion.

Lastly, TATA has started removing features from their flagship SUV also. ORVMs no longer have the projection LED in Harrier. One or two more features have been deleted that are documented by an owner in one of the two Harrier threads. Very poor display of product management as prospective customers who buy a product few years down the road are handed over diluted products (Just see the list of deleted features of the Tiago twins).

PaddleShifter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 16:52   #1028
BHPian

Does anyone know which socket are those DRLs on the XM variant ?

One of the 3 halogens on my friends Harrier died and now it looks terrible. I tried to open the DRL unit but could not figure out how to. Figured that I could order the bulb first and then do the needful.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th July 2020 at 17:30. Reason: harry = Harrier
Old 4th August 2020, 20:21   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if the re-designed ORVM on the BS6 Harrier can be fitted to the BS4 Harrier? The ORVMs on the BS4 Harrier create gigantic blind spots and are a big safety hazard on an otherwise safe car. Tata should replace them for all BS4 customers as goodwill for the trust the owners placed on the product in its initial days.
Hello Candy$Cars.

Just confirmed from my sources that BS4 Harrier can be fitted with the smaller ORVMs of the BS6 Harrier. So you can check with the service center regarding the same.

And that's a nice suggestion you have put forward. Tata should do the mirror swap free of cost to all the BS4 customers who want the same.
ram87pune is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 11:50   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello Candy$Cars.

Just confirmed from my sources that BS4 Harrier can be fitted with the smaller ORVMs of the BS6 Harrier. So you can check with the service center regarding the same.
I have already got them fitted on my 2019 model. But we loose on the Logo projection feature which is not available in Harrier 2020. Each unit costs around INR 13k, however I got it in exchange with a new buyer who wanted large ORVMs
beast_within is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:36   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
I have already got them fitted on my 2019 model. But we loose on the Logo projection feature which is not available in Harrier 2020. Each unit costs around INR 13k, however I got it in exchange with a new buyer who wanted large ORVMs
That's the best deal i have ever heard of, but win-win for both of you
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 00:26   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
------
I recommend you to go ahead with your plan, it is a delight own and you will definitely enjoy the SUV.
Tons and Tons of Thank you note for a detailed reply. Your words depict your satisfaction and how much you in love with this vehicle. Ok brother I am satisfied and look forward to book the car, towards the festive season as I feel some discounts will be offered. I will go with the XZ + or the XZA + trim. Still have not laid my hands on the BS6 manual . Test drove the auto and it was above my expectations :-)

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th August 2020 at 12:21. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies, affects readability. Thanks.
mads2849 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 16:56   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
2) TATA, let me tell you there's no point giving 7-8 speakers in a car if there's a plastic piece vibrating inside the door pads if I turn the bass and volume a bit higher than usual. I hope they fixed this in the 170 facelift.

3) Rear parking camera is a joke. Takes an eternity to boot and night visibility is strictly average.

5) Gear shift quality is on the harder side, I drive a Hyundai. I have sensitive hands
Loved your feedback for the Harrier. I wanted to share a few points as response to your observations and may be it helps you somehow.

Vibrations in Door pads - if you are getting irritated by this, check at the TASS once what those guys say and if they are able to help. If it does not work out, one idea can be to get damping done from outside using some good quality damping sheets which will take care of such vibrations. A few of my Hexa friends have got this done and reported improvement in sound quality.

Rear parking camera - this is actually reported by a lot of other Owners. Was wondering if it’s possible to get an improved camera from outside if the configuration is known ?

Gear Shift Quality : I have a manual Hexa and I share your concern. But let me tell you not to worry. once you reach 20k to 25k the shifts will be smoother and you would love the Gearbox then.
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 15:00   #1034
BHPian

I went to Tata Showroom in my Hometown today to get quotations on XM variant. My experience is below
  • Empty Showroom - It was raining and it is Sunday, so cutting some slack here
  • No masks
  • No sanitization offered to me
  • No temperature checks
  • 1 SA was sitting on sofa and chilling, came to me after seeing me
  • I enquired about Harrier, he gave me price list
  • Did not even try to explain any features until asked
  • No display vehicle available for Harrier. It was resting in "Service Center" which is at a different location
  • Insurance was showing as 79k, I asked him which company insurance. He had no clue, called the agent and gave me details
  • I asked him what offers are going on, he was clueless, went inside and confirmed 25k cash discount and 40k exchange discount
  • Then I asked, is this discount on ex-shoroom price or on-road price, he was clueless. He then called manager and confirmed on-road price discount.
  • Asked for resale value of my vehicle, they quoted 30% less than what Ford showroom person quoted.

I never visited sarkari office till date so I cannot compare my experience at Tata Showroom with sarkari office. The experience was more than pathetic, that I can confirm. Pull up your socks Tata.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:51   #1035

Its really interesting to see how Tata Motors fail. Companies generally do not have the apt product and hence cannot be customer oriented and struggle to survive; Tata Motors has the best product and still they cannot sell it.

It's pathetic to see this contradiction. Just with a little bit more on the dealerships in regards to aesthetics, tranning to executives, i think TML can do lot more.

Does the new ORVM's really help is removing the blind spot during turning

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd August 2020 at 14:08. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Himjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks