Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 07:10   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Appears to be some issue with mirror motor. Mirrors do have auto fold functionality in the endeavour.
No. This feature is not available in the Endeavour 2.0
Old 20th May 2021, 08:13   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Appears to be some issue with mirror motor. Mirrors do have auto fold functionality in the endeavour.
Yes it has foldable mirrors but they do not open/ close on unlock/lock like in the Fortuner( add on accessory).
Old 20th May 2021, 08:23   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
Yes it has foldable mirrors but they do not open/ close on unlock/lock like in the Fortuner( add on accessory).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
No. This feature is not available in the Endeavour 2.0
This is another of the annoyances by Ford. Even Ecosport gets this!
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 09:24   #364
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Source - Why I hate Ford's decision to dump that awesome 3.2L and offer just the 2.0 turbo. The Fortuner is ~4 seconds faster in the 0 - 100 dash. That's expected. But the Endeavour takes an agonizing 21 seconds to get to 120 kmph .
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 10:58   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Source - Why I hate Ford's decision to dump that awesome 3.2L and offer just the 2.0 turbo. The Fortuner is ~4 seconds faster in the 0 - 100 dash. That's expected. But the Endeavour takes an agonizing 21 seconds to get to 120 kmph .
As of today, I think the Fortuner truly and comprehensively trumps the Endeavour as the obvious pick. They’ve put clear distance between Toyota and Ford on these two models. Quite disappointing since the 3.2 Endeavour had really taken the specs and product fight to the Fortuner and gone toe to toe with it as an equal. Keep aside sales difference given that Toyota is the darling of Indian consumers.

Given the brand equity difference between the two, it should really be Ford that goes an extra mile to ensure that it doesn’t lag behind Toyota on the specs and product front. They need to be working harder to win their customers.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:12   #366
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
As of today, I think the Fortuner truly and comprehensively trumps the Endeavour as the obvious pick.
Although I am a total engine guy, I would make a rare exception here and still pick the Endeavour over the Fortuner. The Fortuner makes more power, but in almost every other area, I find the Endeavour to be superior. Especially the comfortable ride quality, nicer steering, looks, interior, features, sound system etc.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:37   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Although I am a total engine guy, I would make a rare exception here and still pick the Endeavour over the Fortuner. The Fortuner makes more power, but in almost every other area, I find the Endeavour to be superior. Especially the comfortable ride quality, nicer steering, looks, interior, features, sound system etc.
Hmm - fair enough, although such a stark performance difference doesn’t make it easy for many buyers to make that choice. Those 3.2 Endy owners better milk any premium they manage to wing for selling their rides in the current market.

On a separate note, if the XUV 7OO can come in at a sub 30 lakh on road price for its top of line (with 4x4; AT) spec, it will make a genuinely compelling alternative to both of the above, which are really getting pricier by the day. Of course the Fortuner and Endeavour are a different segment with their own die hard following but still - lets see how the market reacts to this third alternative an entire segment lower.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:51   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The current engine output would have been ok couple of years ago when Fortuner had 178 horses and rest of the competition included MUX and Rexton. With BS6, Ford should have bought Bi Turbo, Gloster gets more power and with Facelift Fortuner has gone 2 up. In 2021 cars from a segment or two lower are marking as much horsepower and its disheartening to see Ford run in opposite direction be it w.r.to engine or feature deletions.
Somewhere I have a feeling that Ford will launch Bi Turbo may be in top spec and bump up the price. In this segment, pricier the more aspirational value it holds. Unlike some other segments, people like to flaunt Titanium+/ADAS/Legender badges!
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 12:18   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the Endeavour takes an agonizing 21 seconds to get to 120 kmph
True that! Although I have not timed my Endeavour for 0-xxx km/h runs, I am not at all surprised by these figures. However, what does (pleasantly) surprise me is the performance of this 2.0 lit EcoBlue engine when looked at in isolation, if you consider the fact that it is a mere 2 lit, single-turbo pot driving the mammoth of an SUV that the Endeavour is, more so in its 4wd avatar. This reminds me of my chat with one of the Toyota (not Ford) sales advisor during my deciding days - I was lamenting about the small engine on the Endeavour when, to my surprise, the SA said "Sir, the output and performance of that engine is quite impressive if you consider its size". Of course, that does not absolve Ford India of the unfair move of NOT getting the bi-turbo engine on the Endeavour.

Quote:
As of today, I think the Fortuner truly and comprehensively trumps the Endeavour as the obvious pick
I am not sure if it is as straightforward as that, unless ones goes solely by numbers on paper! A test drive of the Endeavour 2.0 will tell you that it is not as lethargic as it is made out to be, although it does pale in comparison to the brute 2.8 lit mill on the Toyota for sure. Moreover, I would humbly disagree on the "comprehensively" part as well, as there is much more to a car than just the engine

Quote:
The Fortuner makes more power, but in almost every other area, I find the Endeavour to be superior
Could not agree more I have stated as much in my ownership review earlier on this thread.

Quote:
although such a stark performance difference doesn’t make it easy for many buyers to make that choice
Agree with that. While it was relatively easy for me to forego the power figures on the pre-facelift Fortuner for what the Endeavour had to offer, the upgraded engine on Fortuner facelift made the decision very difficult for me.

Quote:
On a separate note, if the XUV 7OO can come in at a sub 30 lakh on road price for its top of line (with 4x4; AT) spec, it will make a genuinely compelling alternative to both of the above
I doubt it, given that it is a completely different segment, not just from a brand/pricing perspective but also being a monocoque soft-roader.

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th May 2021 at 12:20.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 13:51   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with that. While it was relatively easy for me to forego the power figures on the pre-facelift Fortuner for what the Endeavour had to offer, the upgraded engine on Fortuner facelift made the decision very difficult for me.
Recently I handed over below sheet which I had prepared to 2 of my friends who were scouting for 4x4 body on frame Full size SUV. Gloster was left out due to lack of confidence on a new product, especially when spending 45L+ here in Karnataka. 3rd column is individual weightage. If weightage is 4, you get 1 full point. Example if you give engine weightage of 4, Fortuner gets 1 point, if 2, the 0.5 points.

The last row is important, if you need a Manual or a Petrol, there is no option other than Fortuner.

Attachment 2160117
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-fortunervsendeavour.jpg  

PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 13:23   #371
BHPian

I was recently in the market for a big family car. Sedans were not in consideration, and I was gravitating more towards Innova. It would have sufficed my needs of being big and spacious. But then, wifey put her foot down and said no to the Innova. Call it a prejudice, but she said that she won't sit in a vehicle primarily used as taxis. So then I started looking at other 7 seaters, and I checked out Endeavour, Fortuner and was waiting for MUX. Gloster and Alturas weren't in the consideration. Gloster due to looks and it being a rebadged product from China, and Alturas for obvious reasons of Mahindra abandoning Ssangyong.

When MUX was announced and it was confirmed that they aren't bringing the newer version, it was between the Fortuner and Endeavour. I did a meticulous research according to my requirements, and booked the Endeavour 4x2 Titanium.

Though Fortuner has a bigger and better engine, its interiors are down on quality and feel, and I have driven the pre facelift model extensively over the past few years as I would borrow it from my brother in law for holidays, long distance travel etc. Plus, the 4x2 AT is 5 lacs+ more expensive than Endeavour 4x2 Titanium.

With Endeavour, the interiors feel more premium, and I was okay with having lower powered engine, since this car would be primarily used for family outings and highway runs, basically cruising. For the pedal to the metal action, I have my modded Polo GT TSI, which in terms of outright fun element and speed beats any SUVs. So, in my view it was a pragmatic decision to not judge by engine specs as long as there was enough power for the car to go uphill in Himachal's remote areas. I'm not into heavy duty offroading, so didn't need the 4x4 option either. The normal use case of absent roads or mild offroading was being tackled by Baleno as well, so the Endeavour will definitely manage those.

Between the 4x2s, I found Titanium to be more VFM trim. I am happy to let go of the Sunroof, leather trim on the dash and electrically folding 3rd row and other minor things. What I am going to really miss are the front parking sensors, all windows auto up-down and electrochromic IRVM. will need to look at aftermarket options for these. Plus, the fact that Ford increased the prices for all other variants except Titanium, pushed the priced difference between Titanium and Titanium plus to over 4 lac OTR.

Maybe I'm growing old, and a few years ago I would have asked for more power in any car I buy. But now, it was about having different horses for different courses. the GT for driving fun, and Endeavour for relaxed cruising and as a people carrier.
lalittalwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 15:32   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Recently I handed over below sheet which I had prepared to 2 of my friends who were scouting for 4x4 body on frame Full size SUV
Great tool for making an analytical decision but in my humble opinion, a true petrol-head is highly unlikely to get quantitative and objective to this extent while choosing a car For most of us, the decision is made somewhere deep within the heart rather than up there in the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
...booked the Endeavour 4x2 Titanium
Many congratulations on your purchase and wish you many happy miles with your Endeavour. Do post some pictures once you get it home. I am with you on the VFM quotient of the Titanium 4x2 variant, especially given the recent price hikes by Ford India. Prior to that, however, I'd have leaned towards the Titanium+ 4x2 instead, given the lower price difference between the two and the extra goodies you get with the latter.

Additionally, you are spot on with your correlation between one's preferences and age/stage in life. Going back to my dilemma last year on choosing between the Fortuner and the Endeavour, I would have most certainly bought the Fortuner had this been about 8-10 years or so back wherein power/performance would have trumped every other aspect and factors like ride comfort and better handling would have taken a backseat.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:37   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations on your purchase and wish you many happy miles with your Endeavour. Do post some pictures once you get it home. I am with you on the VFM quotient of the Titanium 4x2 variant, especially given the recent price hikes by Ford India. Prior to that, however, I'd have leaned towards the Titanium+ 4x2 instead, given the lower price difference between the two and the extra goodies you get with the latter.
Thanks, but for now its a long wait. I've officially been quoted delivery in August, and unofficially in July. Let's see how long the wait is.

I have also spent many hours thinking about upgrading to Titanium+, and maybe if the difference would have been 2-2.5 lac, I'd bite. But 4 lac OTR difference and that too in Chandigarh was a asking a bit too much. I tell myself that I'd rather save the money and buy a Cambridge Audio CXA81 amplifier with Klipsch RP8000F speakers and have a blast with the saved money

On another topic, have you been able to disable the continuous speed alarm at 120 kmph? I regularly drive between Gurgaon and Chandigarh, taking the KMP expressway, and the expressway officially allows your to drive at 120 kmph.
Old 25th May 2021, 16:59   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but for now its a long wait. I've officially been quoted delivery in August, and unofficially in July. Let's see how long the wait is.
Whoa! That's a long waiting period, possibly due to the ongoing semi-conductor crisis. Which color did you book? White is usually available sooner than the other two.

Quote:
I have also spent many hours thinking about upgrading to Titanium+
Here is a list of stuff you'd miss out on, which I am sure you would have already gone through multiple times. Some of this is useful stuff indeed like the additional airbag, better IRVM, front parking sensors, etc. but definitely not worth additional 4 lac, for sure.

Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)-endy_diff.jpg

Quote:
On another topic, have you been able to disable the continuous speed alarm at 120 kmph?
I don't think it can be disabled unless you have it tampered with outside authorized service station, which will void your warranty. The best way out is to set cruise control at 119 km/h

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th May 2021 at 17:01.
Old 25th May 2021, 17:24   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great tool for making an analytical decision but in my humble opinion, a true petrol-head is highly unlikely to get quantitative and objective to this extent while choosing a car For most of us, the decision is made somewhere deep within the heart rather than up there in the head.
Heart will rule upto certain extent but when facts are hard to accept, or your priorities are not met, heart's preference does get overruled. Again there are folks who buy purely based on what heart says and others put a lot of weight to preference/priorities. When I was scouting for my ride, somewhere I wanted a BMW, that Melbourne Red 320D is still fresh inside me, however, a test drive bought me back to reality as 320D/X1 would never meet my requirement or preferences.

Quote:
I have also spent many hours thinking about upgrading to Titanium+, and maybe if the difference would have been 2-2.5 lac, I'd bite. But 4 lac OTR difference and that too in Chandigarh was a asking a bit too much. I tell myself that I'd rather save the money and buy a Cambridge Audio CXA81 amplifier with Klipsch RP8000F speakers and have a blast with the saved money
If you love your Audio, would recommend to spend 4Lac if possible, just for that Subwoofer. That's a beast and makes a lot of difference. Not to forget the additional kit you get with Plus variant. Part of 4Lac spent can be easily salvaged during resale, as customer in this segment prefer higher variants.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks